• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
One major difference is that Shantae has had plentiful console game history. In contrast Touhou has been primarily Windows-exclusive.
We have Joker and we also have two FF7 characters. I don't think this matters as much as it probably used to. Those picking the characters are basing their choices on who they think people will buy. That's it, and there's pros and cons to that. And let me tell you; Reimu will sell a lot of passes, especially eastward.
I am aware FF7 - the PSX original - was ported to the Switch, but the game is still very much a PlayStation darling.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
We have Joker and we also have two FF7 characters. I don't think this matters as much as it probably used to. Those picking the characters are basing their choices on who they think people will buy. That's it, and there's pros and cons to that.
I am aware FF7 - the PSX original - was ported to the Switch, but the game is still very much a PlayStation darling.
I already know that Ren (Persona) and Cloud (Final Fantasy) don't have significant history with Nintendo consoles, and Reimu doesn't have significant history with any videogame consoles. But it's certainly not a problem at all.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
yeah I agree consols really don't mater much either. Unless the company is very anti nintendo(mostly sony), then anyone as a chance if they were a game character first.

Reimu And Shantae would be hard pressed to make it in together, since both are considered indie. I really feel if we are getting an Indie it is just 1. Those 2 I feel have the best chance outta all indies. Quote is dead right now, Hallow knight still just has 1 game, and honestly I feel if we were gonna get someone from that series it would be hornet. But sadly Silksong has been MIA for over a year now. If we had some info on the game i would think she would be in the running to.

Touhou has been getting more and more fan games on the switch, and Nintendo has worked with ZUN to publish music, plus Kirby and Reimu were in the same game together. COnversly, Wayfoward has really close ties to Nintendo, and Nintendo knows it. Why do you think back in the summer it was such a big news that Wayfoward was gonna be on a special treehose to show off a new game? They even had to clarify it wasn't going to be a nintendo owned property, because a lot of people associate wayfoward with top quality games(not that it ALWAYS turns out that way). Shantae also had most of her games origininate on nintendo consoles.

So really, outta all the possible indie franchises, its going to be either of these 2. And if either get in I will be estactic. Shantae would bring a very cool moveset(transformations), while reimu would also bring a super uniquer moveset(bullet hell), and some amazing music. You thought SNK had a lot of songs, I bet if touhou got it the amount of songs would dwarf that, and maybe they would have some doujin groups help.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
yeah I agree consols really don't mater much either. Unless the company is very anti nintendo(mostly sony), then anyone as a chance if they were a game character first.
I don't care if a 3rd party franchise has significant console game history or not.

Reimu And Shantae would be hard pressed to make it in together, since both are considered indie. I really feel if we are getting an Indie it is just 1. Those 2 I feel have the best chance outta all indies. Quote is dead right now, Hallow knight still just has 1 game, and honestly I feel if we were gonna get someone from that series it would be hornet. But sadly Silksong has been MIA for over a year now. If we had some info on the game i would think she would be in the running to.
We will probably get only 1 indie rep in fighters pass 2.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
So, I found out that PushDustin made a take on the whole Geno Mii shenanigans and his thoughts on why Sephiroth could benefit more as a fighter, and right at the end he answers the question regarding Banjo and Terry.

And for Terry specifically he mentioned that the KoF games on Switch help him being less irrelevant and although he didn't mentioned it but the ports were very successful (according to some sources).

And now this is my question? I've heard that (if I'm correct) some Touhou fangames in the eShop is pretty successful with some being in the top. Does this really successfully bring Touhou to the public eye due to how many fangames there are in the eShop (and much more in Japanese)?

Last edited:

Quidd Dude

Smash Apprentice
So, I found out that PushDustin made a take on the whole Geno Mii shenanigans and his thoughts on why Sephiroth could benefit more as a fighter, and right at the end he answers the question regarding Banjo and Terry.

And for Terry specifically he mentioned that the KoF games on Switch help him being less irrelevant and although he didn't mentioned it but the ports were very successful (according to some sources).

And now this is my question? I've heard that (if I'm correct) some Touhou fangames in the eShop is pretty successful with some being in the top. Does this really successfully bring Touhou to the public eye due to how many fangames there are in the eShop (and much more in Japanese)?
Perhaps, i wouldn't know completely but I'm sure it does bring attention to the franchise.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
The famous one is back in 2017 Kobuto Battle V was 2nd on the E-shop behind Mario Odyssey during the latter's release week. Yes, this comes with a bunch of asterisks but it's one you'll see thrown around a lot. iirc, there are ~6 Touhou fan games on the NA E-shop, plus maybe 3 with physical releases. The number could easily be higher though, I should check... either way they don't have sales stats available afaik, so we don't know if they sell well. I wonder how many pages you'd have to go through on the "Best Sellers" tab to reach a Touhou game. I'd guess it varies by region.

Anyway, speaking of fangames on the Switch I picked up Luna Nights. I've already beaten it thru the Extra Stage on Steam and I'm looking forward to going thru it again on Switch. I hope the game does well, it deserves to move units. I'd say to recommend it out when people need a metroidvania, but it feels like the Switch is swamped with those atm so Luna Nights might fly under the radar unfortunately.

MaddaD

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Second for Luna Nights. It's probably my favorite fangame thus far. The art (even if it falls under the retro aesthetic that 90% of indie games go for) is animated beautifully and the combat is almost nothing short of perfection.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Second for Luna Nights. It's probably my favorite fangame thus far. The art (even if it falls under the retro aesthetic that 90% of indie games go for) is animated beautifully and the combat is almost nothing short of perfection.

Who made Touhou Luna Nights?

MaddaD

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Who made Touhou Luna Nights?
Team Ladybug, a game developer group who specializes in 2D games. Their titles are fangames but some like Shin Megami Tensei: Synchronicity Prologue get official backing from the main developers of the series.

Their latest game is a pure Metroidvania like Luna Nights, Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Team Ladybug, a game developer group who specializes in 2D games. Their titles are fangames but some like Shin Megami Tensei: Synchronicity Prologue get official backing from the main developers of the series.

Their latest game is a pure Metroidvania like Luna Nights, Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth
However, ZUN still owns the rights to Sakuya, and the other Touhou characters. Also, are Reimu and Marisa in Luna Nights?

Last edited:

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
Also, are Reimu and Marisa in Luna Nights?
Yes, but as Boss characters. Only Sakuya is playable, as the title would suggest. The game's mechanics, level-, and enemy-design are focused around her time manipulation abilities and for it the game is not only one of the most well made and unique metroidvanias out there but also one of the most fun; options and character control are the name of the game and it feels great. I beat the whole game on keyboard and I couldn't have asked for a better experience. I hope I like controller just as much.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Yes, but as Boss characters. Only Sakuya is playable, as the title would suggest.
I assumed that Sakuya was the main protagonist of Luna Nights because her theme song is Luna Clock Lunar Dial. What other appearances has Reimu and Marisa made their appearances as antagonists in Touhou fangames?

The game's mechanics, level-, and enemy-design are focused around her time manipulation abilities and for it the game is not only one of the most well made and unique metroidvanias out there but also one of the most fun; options and character control are the name of the game and it feels great. I beat the whole game on keyboard and I couldn't have asked for a better experience. I hope I like controller just as much.
I've seen time manipulation abilities in other platform games as well.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
I assumed that Sakuya was the main protagonist of Luna Nights because her theme song is Luna Clock Lunar Dial. What other appearances has Reimu and Marisa made their appearances as antagonists in Touhou fangames?
Well, that's kinda a tough question considering the number of fangames out there. But limiting the assessment to only titles on the E-shop...
By my count there are 8 Touhou fangames on the NA E-shop. Of those, I believe Reimu and Marisa are playable in all of them except Luna Nights, and they are possible opponents in all of them. This is because most have some aspect of multiplayer, and those that don't have many playable characters: there are two fighting games, one tower defense game, one racing game, one dungeon crawler, one metroidvania, one puzzle/rhythm game, and one danmaku game. Of those, I only know of two that have a physical release in NA, though Spell Bubble has a physical release in other regions iirc. There's also a lot of Touhou related dlc on the E-shop, most for the above games but notably also for the Grove Coaster and Taiko Drumaster games on Switch.

I'm curious what Touhou content on the E-shop looks like in other regions. If anyone has an E-shop account in Europe or especially Japan already, I'd appreciate it if you could have a look and see what they've got. Or if you know of any good sales data on the E-shop...

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Well, that's kinda a tough question considering the number of fangames out there. But limiting the assessment to only titles on the E-shop...
By my count there are 8 Touhou fangames on the NA E-shop. Of those, I believe Reimu and Marisa are playable in all of them except Luna Nights, and they are possible opponents in all of them. This is because most have some aspect of multiplayer, and those that don't have many playable characters: there are two fighting games, one tower defense game, one racing game, one dungeon crawler, one metroidvania, one puzzle/rhythm game, and one danmaku game. Of those, I only know of two that have a physical release in NA, though Spell Bubble has a physical release in other regions iirc. There's also a lot of Touhou related dlc on the E-shop, most for the above games but notably also for the Grove Coaster and Taiko Drumaster games on Switch.
You partially answered my question, but I'm talking about out of all Touhou fangames, not just within the Eshop.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
You partially answered my question, but I'm talking about out of all Touhou fangames, not just within the E-shop.
Well, I have only played a small minority of the literal 100's of fangames out there. Going by my gut, I'd guess that Reimu and Marisa are playable more often than not, both in terms of obligate playable/non-playable and taking into account games where they're playable and also non-playable. But given fangames exist of all game genres and I couldn't guess at the distribution/demographics of those genres I couldn't put any reasonable numbers to that guess.

But I'm sure most of the hard work has already been done to catalogue fangames. If you're curious to research more, I'd suggest starting here: https://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Fangames

This may not be exhaustive, but it should be useful in getting the sense of Touhou fangames.

gavtel

Smash Cadet
To name the ones I remember off the top of my head, besides the ones already mentioned, there's Touhou: Puppet Dance Performance (Touhou Pokemon effectively, with Reimu and Marisa being two of your rivals for the game), Concealed the Conclusion (only Reimu as an antagonist, since Marisa's the playable character) and Youyou Kengeki Musou (a Youmu focused hack and slash where both show up as bosses along the way).

SharkLord

Smash Hero

I've seen time manipulation abilities in other platform games as well.
Reimu and Marisa are boss fights in Touhouvania 2, which-Like Luna Nights-stars Sakuya as the main character.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace

I'm curious what Touhou content on the E-shop looks like in other regions. If anyone has an E-shop account in Europe or especially Japan already, I'd appreciate it if you could have a look and see what they've got. Or if you know of any good sales data on the E-shop...
19 currently.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
That sounds apt for Reimu's victory theme!
Yeah, it does. Considering the music is called "The Gensokyo the Gods Loved" which is already a straight up nod to the region where most of the event take place but also (if I were to connect it with the doujin aspect of the series) an opening song for the infamous fananime called 'Fantasy Kaleidoscope'. You know, the very thing that make outsiders confused whether or not Touhou is an anime or a game.

Quidd Dude

Smash Apprentice
The thing is, there's a lot of songs that could be Reimu's victory theme and bc i played MoF before watching the fanime i always associate the song with Nitori and not Reimu. Honestly i prefer a remix of the game over theme to be her victory theme (like Snake) or the menu theme from EoSD could also work. Althought any song could work.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
The thing is, there's a lot of songs that could be Reimu's victory theme and bc i played MoF before watching the fanime i always associate the song with Nitori and not Reimu. Honestly i prefer a remix of the game over theme to be her victory theme (like Snake) or the menu theme from EoSD could also work. Althought any song could work.
Yeah, I mean that could work but The Gensokyo the Gods Loved is a good contrast between Touhou's fast paced and more melodic songs. I get that the theme was played during Nitori's stage but it felt too 'peaceful' for a Yokai that is all about invention which is a big contrast to the more traditional japanese feeling of the world.

With Reimu on the other hand, her whole schtick is bring peace to the land which might go along with the word 'God' in the title as if they like Gensokyo the way it is and with the fananime it really help her much more because it is the opening theme where Reimu is the main focus.

I try to avoid a specific main theme for a specific game because it felt too subjective and also because I don't really like almost all game's main theme. I could use one of Reimu's many theme but I felt that it doesn't suit for as something as a celebratory music with how energetic some of them is.

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
IMO the best choice for a victory theme would be the main leitmotif of Theme of Eastern Story that gets repeated in some fashion in each game's main menu (as SharkLord just observed!):

This has the advantages both of appearing in virtually every game in the series in some form, thus not privileging any one game over any other, and in being a rather tight loop that'd be very conducive to a short victory screen, where you really want a cool ~5 second burst of music to get the point across even if people skip the results screen immediately. Joker, for example, does this with the P5 victory theme, where there's a longer riff, but even if you only hear the first few seconds it's still very cool and feels complete. While I absolutely adore The Gensokyo the Gods Loved, it's only from one game, and kinda needs to "get going", if you will - the first ~5 seconds don't have a "victory screen" feel to me, even if the overall song conveys that sensation.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Yeah, it does. Considering the music is called "The Gensokyo the Gods Loved" which is already a straight up nod to the region where most of the event take place but also (if I were to connect it with the doujin aspect of the series) an opening song for the infamous fananime called 'Fantasy Kaleidoscope'. You know, the very thing that make outsiders confused whether or not Touhou is an anime or a game.
I know that one of the opening songs for Memories of Phantasm is a remix of The Gensokyo the Gods Loved.

If we're discussing a victory theme I'd suggest Theme of Eastern Story, seeing as that's the main theme of the series and a constant recurring leitmotif.
Ironically, in it's first appearance it was just an unused song, and look where it is now.
Speaking of PC-98 Reimu, PC-98 Touhou is basically similar to the Classic Sonic era circumstance-wise.

This has the advantages both of appearing in virtually every game in the series in some form, thus not privileging any one game over any other, and in being a rather tight loop that'd be very conducive to a short victory screen, where you really want a cool ~5 second burst of music to get the point across even if people skip the results screen immediately. Joker, for example, does this with the P5 victory theme, where there's a longer riff, but even if you only hear the first few seconds it's still very cool and feels complete. While I absolutely adore The Gensokyo the Gods Loved, it's only from one game, and kinda needs to "get going", if you will - the first ~5 seconds don't have a "victory screen" feel to me, even if the overall song conveys that sensation.
So when does the song Theme of Eastern Story appear in the Touhou series?

If Reimu got in, it would be nice for her to have a unique death animation, similar to Megaman, where she explodes into particles, just like she does in the Touhou gameplay.

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Last edited:

Quidd Dude

Smash Apprentice
So after seeing everyone request that Reimu's victory theme should be Theme of Eastern Story and several of its rendition I manage to gather 3 version that 'fits' for a celebratory music, I try to avoid small leitmotifs and pick a full song based on Theme of Eastern Story and based on main menu/intro song.

Let me know which is best fit for her victory theme.
HM feels the most smash-like out of all the three so i think that one makes the most sense if they're going to rip it directly, if they make a new remix i hope it's the EoSD ver. bc it's my favorite one.

Oborochi

Smash Rookie
While victory theme ideas are interesting and all, I have a question to everyone on these threads. How would Reimu's inclusion in Smash affect the Touhou fandom? Do you think it'll be a postive impact? A negative one? Thoughts on the matter?

Narp

Smash Cadet
While victory theme ideas are interesting and all, I have a question to everyone on these threads. How would Reimu's inclusion in Smash affect the Touhou fandom? Do you think it'll be a postive impact? A negative one? Thoughts on the matter?
There will always be those with their own ideal Touhou. Those who absolutely insist the series should remain underground and unknown, no matter what.

I think it would be a net positive, however. The more the merrier, I say. ZUN also clearly wants to expand, just look at the Hello Kitty collab, among other ventures the past year.

Quidd Dude

Smash Apprentice
I don't see the Touhou fandom going like the persona fandom that got filled with annoying people, i think it would be a Terry situation since the games aren't as beginner friendly to new players so the fandom won't be filled with new people.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I don't see the Touhou fandom going like the persona fandom that got filled with annoying people, i think it would be a Terry situation since the games aren't as beginner friendly to new players so the fandom won't be filled with new people.
I remember that Ren's (Persona) and Terry's (KOF) reveals set off ignorant fans, while those who were aware of Persona and King of Fighters's fame were delighted. I predict that the same might happen with Reimu unfortunately.

Top Bottom