• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
To all the people here, who is your favorite 2hu?
Marisa, followed closely by Reimu. They're simply a delightful pair of protagonists, very different from what you often see, and their character designs are impeccable to boot. It's also nice to know that I can always look forward to lots of new content for them.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Good question. There's a lot and I haven't really settled on one, so here's a list
  • Reimu. After pushing her for Smash so long I've kinda grown attached to her. Having a pretty unique design helps (Though seeing as it's Touhou, that's not saying much).
  • Sakuya. A mix of design, being a Dio expy and thusly being fun to explain to newcomers, and the fact that Flowering Night was one of the first Touhou songs I really latched on to.
  • Youmu. There's kind of a funny story behind this one. For a while on Discord I had "The Touhou Guy" as my handle and so I got tagged a lot for Touhou fanart. A lot of it was Youmu. When my current profile was posted, I ended up using it because it looked comfy and fitting for winter... Except it's also Youmu, so I ended up becoming the Youmu guy without realizing it.
  • Reisen. There's something that stands out about being a relatively sane, anxious bunny, especially when you consider how most people in the setting just go "HEY BRO LET'S FIGHT." That, and rabbits in general are nice.
  • Junko. On the flipside, she stands out for being one of the few actual villains in the series. Plus, she's got a great theme. This remix in particular was one that I stumbled upon in my early days of the Touhou fandom.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Good question. There's a lot and I haven't really settled on one, so here's a list
  • Reimu. After pushing her for Smash so long I've kinda grown attached to her. Having a pretty unique design helps (Though seeing as it's Touhou, that's not saying much).
  • Sakuya. A mix of design, being a Dio expy and thusly being fun to explain to newcomers, and the fact that Flowering Night was one of the first Touhou songs I really latched on to.
  • Youmu. There's kind of a funny story behind this one. For a while on Discord I had "The Touhou Guy" as my handle and so I got tagged a lot for Touhou fanart. A lot of it was Youmu. When my current profile was posted, I ended up using it because it looked comfy and fitting for winter... Except it's also Youmu, so I ended up becoming the Youmu guy without realizing it.
  • Reisen. There's something that stands out about being a relatively sane, anxious bunny, especially when you consider how most people in the setting just go "HEY BRO LET'S FIGHT." That, and rabbits in general are nice.
  • Junko. On the flipside, she stands out for being one of the few actual villains in the series. Plus, she's got a great theme. This remix in particular was one that I stumbled upon in my early days of the Touhou fandom.
Junko (She's not the one I think of from Danganronpa), Out of all these characters you mentioned, Junko is the newest. She debuted in 2015.

And Sakuya is not an expy of Dio. To be an expy, a character needs to have plentiful similarities, not just a few. Sakuya is only modeled after Dio ability/moveset/combat-wise. She's not even aesthetically similar to Dio at all.

Last edited:

Quidd Dude

Smash Apprentice
And Sakuya is not an expy of Dio. To be an expy, a character needs to have plentiful similarities, not just a few. Sakuya is only modeled after Dio ability/moveset/combat-wise. She's not even aesthetically similar to Dio at all.
Eh, stopping time, throwing knives, having a relation with vampires (Dio is literally one and Sakuya is the servent of Remilia, a vampire), Sakuya literally has an attack named "Sakuya's World" and she looks like a typical british maid and Dio is british. I guess she might not be an expy but come on they have a lot of simillarities.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Eh, stopping time, throwing knives, having a relation with vampires (Dio is literally one and Sakuya is the servent of Remilia, a vampire), Sakuya literally has an attack named "Sakuya's World" and she looks like a typical british maid and Dio is british. I guess she might not be an expy but come on they have a lot of simillarities.
Also she has a Dio alt in the fighters
1608148485421.png

Specifically the middle-left one
Plus, it's just funnier to tell your confused friends "Anyways Touhou has literally DIO"

Last edited:

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Also she has a Dio alt in the fighters
View attachment 295803
Specifically the middle-left one
Plus, it's just funnier to tell your confused friends "Anyways Touhou has literally DIO"
Personaly, I prefer to say "Did you guys knew that Touhou had DIO's secret daughter who is also his only child to inherit his power over time?"

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Personaly, I prefer to say "Did you guys knew that Touhou had DIO's secret daughter who is also his only child to inherit his power over time?"
DIO and Sakuya are not even blood-related. Sakuya is neither a Joestar or a Brando. In-universe wise, it's just a coincidence. Also, Sakuya's abilities/moveset actually differs from DIO's. DIO can only stop time, whereas Sakuya can also speed it up, slow it down, erase it, rewind it, etc.

I'm beginning to wonder, where do Touhou characters get their movesets/powers/abilities from? How do they learn them?

Last edited:

gavtel

Smash Cadet
Although I don't have a particular favourite (there's way too many great characters); in terms of gameplay, I enjoyed playing as Sakuya A in PCB the most (the option of a spread shot or homing shot is pretty useful (allowing you to switch between dealing with a lot of enemies to dealing with a tougher enemy / boss)).

This is off-topic from the favourites talk but here's some news regarding Genso Skydrift (a few days late but I figured I should let you guys know). The 1st Anniversary Cup stream for Genso Skydrift had screenshots of the new Heaven course / Alice (skip to 2:50:05 for the screenshots), along with talk about them / Orin (just a head's up: there's a Yukkuri voice yelling out the comments while all of this is going on so it might be a bit hard to hear what they're saying at times): https://www.twitch.tv/videos/834696240

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Papagenos mentioned the leak that had Reimu but thought it was fake since it has KOS-MOS and Namco said they didn't had any plans with the Xenosaga series. Still it was nice to see him say Reimu.
Yeah I think that saying the leak is fake due to KOS-MOS is a bit unfair. Banjo got in, without Microsoft having any plans for him. If Sakurai wanted KOS-MOS in because he is a fan of the series, then that is why she is in.

I feel ya on that, FGO is bad enough for me, especially with Luvia and Reines coming up.
I'm fully F2P now on FGO JP, been saving for Tamamo Vitch, but I did throw some of my saved quartz towardsa Ibuki Douji and Vritra(got the first in 1 roll, the latter in 4 rolls) Now I'm back up to saving.

In NA though.... hoo boy. Not going for Bootyrante, but I am trying for Rider quetz in a few days. After that is Beni-Enma, and Kama, and Kingprotea, and Luvia and Reines... and thats just the first 3 months oof.

*points to my Icon.

I love Tewi so much. Inaba Inaba was so much fun and she was such a little pest but also likeable.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Well i guess i'll say who my favorite 2hu is.

I love Sekibanki so much, her design is so cool, her theme is one of my favorites and she has one of the most unique attacks in the series with her detachable head, but sadly if Reimu gets in i see no way she gets a spirit or something :(
Sekibanki is obscure from what I know. But you are free to like her as much as you like.

Last edited:

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
Papagenos mentioned the leak that had Reimu but thought it was fake since it has KOS-MOS and Namco said they didn't had any plans with the Xenosaga series. Still it was nice to see him say Reimu.
Yeah they said they had no plans for the "Xenosaga series" they didn't say anything about not having plans for Kos-Mos individually.

Soulor

Smash Cadet
I wonder if there will ever be a physical version of Luna Nights. Im tempted to wait but I'd like to replay the game after so long and I'm only buying it once. Ah well.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
You know what would be cool about Reimu getting into Smash tho is that we’d see official Touhou 3D character models

it’s to my understanding that all official games, fan games and spin-offs used 2D sprites

zferolie

Smash Hero
You know what would be cool about Reimu getting into Smash tho is that we’d see official Touhou 3D character models

it’s to my understanding that all official games, fan games and spin-offs used 2D sprites
the closest i think we got to offical 3d touhou models was her guest appearance in graffiti kingdom, which ZUN assisted making

Lyncario

Smash Ace

Tchnicaly we already have oficial 3D models in AoCF, even if we don't see them
There was a problem fetching the tweet
And here's a source of where you ca nfind more of it

Last edited:

zriL

Smash Journeyman
Tchnicaly we already have oficial 3D models in AoCF, even if we don't see them
Nobody would consider that "official". Firstly because they are not displayed in the game, they're only used in the production pipeline. And secondly because they're very low quality (this is the point of this process), so you wouldn't want them as "official" models anyways. At best you could use them to infer "official" character proportions, but you don't really need 3D for that anyways.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Also, I forgot there was a graffitii kingdom 2, and Reimu is there as well.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Also, I forgot there was a graffitii kingdom 2, and Reimu is there as well.

That

is a very strange looking model

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
Thats the nature of Graffiti Kingdom, a RPG series by Taito which ZUN worked for before.
You draw 3D creatures which come to life.
And the stats are also mostly based on how they are drawn.

Reimu has been an unlockable cameo in pretty much all Graffiti Kingdom game.
The linked tweet is for the upcoming Graffiti Kingdom mobile game.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Thats the nature of Graffiti Kingdom, a RPG series by Taito which ZUN worked for before.
You draw 3D creatures which come to life.
And the stats are also mostly based on how they are drawn.

Reimu has been an unlockable cameo in pretty much all Graffiti Kingdom game.
The linked tweet is for the upcoming Graffiti Kingdom mobile game.
thanks for filling in the extra history. Don't think the game is leaving japan sadly

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
AND NOW WE JUST GOT CONFIRMATION THAT A CLASSIC MODE CAN INDEED HAVE MORE THAN 1 SUPER BOSS LET'S GO
DRACULA REMILIA AND MARX FLANDRE INCOMING BOYZ
Man, I really felt Sakurai's pain talking about licensing all that music. Sure would be nice to have a DLC where you got all the music you wanted with a stroke of a single pen, eh, folks? 😉

Top Bottom