• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

zriL

Smash Journeyman
Im told part of it will be streamed from tokyo as well as london. So its possible he can present it himself
This also makes Reimu a not so bad pick because there is no western audience this time. So it's really not very much a western event in this format.

zriL

Smash Journeyman
Also, my top 5 predictions for tonight :
  • Reimu
  • Rayman
  • Crash
  • Lloyd
  • Crono

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Well, exciting stuff! Hard to believe that it's already been a full year since last year's non-announcement.

This also makes Reimu a not so bad pick because there is no western audience this time. So it's really not very much a western event in this format.
Yes, this is a good point! I'm still doubtful that it's Reimu (both because I view her as unfortunately unlikely to make it in general, but also because she feels like a better fit for a JP event) but the fact that there's no live audience does go a long way towards mitigating that.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Well, exciting stuff! Hard to believe that it's already been a full year since last year's non-announcement.

Yes, this is a good point! I'm still doubtful that it's Reimu (both because I view her as unfortunately unlikely to make it in general, but also because she feels like a better fit for a JP event) but the fact that there's no live audience does go a long way towards mitigating that.
What if the Japanese version of TGA swap the characters out from the western TGA Stream then it would be a double reveal, I mean just imagine... 👁💋

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
Judging by the NoA tweet, it seems most likely there will be a single reveal.

I watched TGA last year and it was not enjoyable. I highly doubt a video conference version would be any better, so I'll wait until Smashboards inevitably crashes again to learn who it is.

I've stepped back from speculation, partly b/c irl stuff, and partly b/c of the stagnation of speculation generally, but as a result I'm not all that confident in Reimu's chances, at least for this reveal. While the timeslot and subtitles are nice for a Japanese audience, TGA has always been the playground for Western AAA developers and publishers, with the only real consistent exceptions being Nintendo, Square Enix, and Persona 5. Frankly, Reimu is the complete antithesis of that spirit, so seeing her there would be hilariously ironic. I can only hope the reveal is someone I can actually get excited for, rather not have two lukewarm characters in a row.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Judging by the NoA tweet, it seems most likely there will be a single reveal.

I watched TGA last year and it was not enjoyable. I highly doubt a video conference version would be any better, so I'll wait until Smashboards inevitably crashes again to learn who it is.

I've stepped back from speculation, partly b/c irl stuff, and partly b/c of the stagnation of speculation generally, but as a result I'm not all that confident in Reimu's chances, at least for this reveal. While the timeslot and subtitles are nice for a Japanese audience, TGA has always been the playground for Western AAA developers and publishers, with the only real consistent exceptions being Nintendo, Square Enix, and Persona 5. Frankly, Reimu is the complete antithesis of that spirit, so seeing her there would be hilariously ironic. I can only hope the reveal is someone I can actually get excited for, rather not have two lukewarm characters in a row.
I certainly think anyone telling themselves that it has to be a big "Western" pick a la Master Chief or (formerly) Steve is mistaken, as while P5 was popular in the West it was certainly still quite niche and largely confined to the Japanophile section of the "core gamer" fanbase. With that said, however, I do agree that this doesn't exactly seem like the venue for Reimu.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I certainly think anyone telling themselves that it has to be a big "Western" pick a la Master Chief or (formerly) Steve is mistaken, as while P5 was popular in the West it was certainly still quite niche and largely confined to the Japanophile section of the "core gamer" fanbase. With that said, however, I do agree that this doesn't exactly seem like the venue for Reimu.
Persona is not obscure, but it's just niche. That probably justifies why there's not that many Persona fanmade content.

If someone were to ask me, "Why the heck would they ever consider obscure 3rd party characters", I would say, "It's because they can be fun to play as. Sakurai officially mentioned that once."

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
You could always watch an entertaining streamer watch it. I plan to watch Maximilian Dood since he makes these bull**** awards show a little bit fun to watch.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Wow! What a way to start things off. I certainly didn't see that coming! Opening the door to any 3rd-party series getting multiple characters makes things very, very interesting.

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
Gotta admit, I don't know what I was expecting, but the One-Winged Angel himself caught me off guard. Also, if that Omnislash V5 is a legit new final smash for Advent Children Cloud, I'll be very happy.

Soulor

Smash Cadet
Aye, just glad it ain't Sora. LOL

Hope to see Geno as the premium mii costume!

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Man, that Sephiroth trailer started exactly like I envisioned Reimu's trailer to be. Still hyped, really cool to see such an icon villain in the game!
Haha, right? I was like "Well, it's not gonna be Reimu, but if it were Reimu, starting her trailer with laser beam bullet hell dodging that cutscene would be pretty fitting, right?" The ride never ends!

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
Since both Dharkon and Galeem were both featured in separate trailers, perhaps both of them will appear in the final trailer starring Reimu.

Quidd Dude

Smash Apprentice
Well, i've been lurking this thread for months and i just created an account. Maybe Reimu will be fighter 9 with a Cirno Mii costume???

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
Well, i've been lurking this thread for months and i just created an account. Maybe Reimu will be fighter 9 with a Cirno Mii costume???
Welcome! I certainly hope Reimu get's to be revealed sooner rather than later, that'd be a load off my mind. And a Cirno mii costume seems likely, though there are plenty of options as to who could be included:

Brawler: Cirno, Meiling, Suika
Swordfighter: Sakuya, Youmu, Sanae, Flandre
Gunner: Marisa, Reisen
etc

Since both Dharkon and Galeem were both featured in separate trailers, perhaps both of them will appear in the final trailer starring Reimu.
Maybe. I think a Reimu reveal would be bullet hell themed in some way. It's probably Touhou's biggest claim to fame, well that or its music. I've always thought a nice stinger to her trailer would be smash characters drinking tea at a flower viewing party at the Hakurei shrine.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
Maybe. I think a Reimu reveal would be bullet hell themed in some way. It's probably Touhou's biggest claim to fame, well that or its music. I've always thought a nice stinger to her trailer would be smash characters drinking tea at a flower viewing party at the Hakurei shrine.
The clash between Galeem and Dharkon in a cutscene is full of bullets.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
So, overall, I think this reveal is probably net negative for Reimu's chances solely because if 2+ reps for 3rd-party franchises are on the table it adds a fair number of people to the queue who probably jump ahead of Reimu. Hopefully I'm wrong, and in any case, it's all speculation! But this is definitely a major paradigm shift.

Welcome! I certainly hope Reimu get's to be revealed sooner rather than later, that'd be a load off my mind. And a Cirno mii costume seems likely, though there are plenty of options as to who could be included:

Brawler: Cirno, Meiling, Suika
Swordfighter: Sakuya, Youmu, Sanae, Flandre
Gunner: Marisa, Reisen
etc

I've personally always felt that the trailer should play up the goofy antics side of 2hu in order to make Reimu more appealing to people who don't know her. I'd love if the entire trailer were just the princesses and Palutena having a tea party in what's revealed to be the Hakurei Shrine.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
So, overall, I think this reveal is probably net negative for Reimu's chances solely because if 2+ reps for 3rd-party franchises are on the table it adds a fair number of people to the queue who probably jump ahead of Reimu. Hopefully I'm wrong, and in any case, it's all speculation! But this is definitely a major paradigm shift.
I mean, Hey! Sephiroth is such an out of left field pick which helps Reimu a lot cause now people will learn their lesson to expect more curveball pick which makes people more aware.

zferolie

Smash Hero
honestly the only characters Sehpiroth hurts are Sora and Geno and other SE characters(2B and Lara), as I feel they wouldn't add another square character in the same pass. Everyone else is still AOK.

Plus, its funny how everyone keeps saying they just keep adding anime swordsmen into smash lol

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
Potentially. While this does put extra reps from a 3rd party already in Smash on the table in a way they weren't before, it's still no guarantee. Sure they've done it once and may do it again, but characters are mostly picked on a case by case basis, very rarely as quotas. Plus, who would they realistically pick that we would've thought unlikely? A Sonic character not named Tails, Shadow, or Knuckles? Chun-Li? I'm not seeing too many options. Though, with only 3 slots left until almost assuredly the next smash game (approx. 6 years from now) every remaining pick counts.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Potentially. While this does put extra reps from a 3rd party already in Smash on the table in a way they weren't before, it's still no guarantee. Sure they've done it once and may do it again, but characters are mostly picked on a case by case basis, very rarely as quotas. Plus, who would they realistically pick that we would've thought unlikely? A Sonic character not named Tails, Shadow, or Knuckles? Chun-Li? I'm not seeing too many options. Though, with only 3 slots left until almost assuredly the next smash game (approx. 6 years from now) every remaining pick counts.
Heck, they could add Dr. Robotnik/Eggman, to keep the villain train rolling

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Sephiroth's reveal was just insane. I don't think that it does a lot for Reimu's chances, though it putting 3rd party characters from already represented game/series makes Reimu's chances mathematicaly worse, I guess. Something possibly very good for her is how Steve and Sephiroth are definitively the big international hits of the pass, meaning that a character/series who's popularity comes more from a single region of the world (like Reimu) could happen next.

gavtel

Smash Cadet
Square Enix has had two spirit events since Byleth: Trials of Mana and Octopath Traveller. If we consider other spirit event companies since Byleth being represented, that would imply an Arc Sys rep as well, due to the Kunio / River City spirits (Sol Badguy / Ragna the Bloodedge being the obvious two picks). If Reimu makes it in as well, that would leave us with 1 rep to figure out.

With Sephiroth added, that also brings the Square Enix reps up to 3. The same number that Capcom, Konami and SEGA currently have (if you count Joker and Bayonetta as SEGA reps / the echoes for the other two).

Edit: Come to think of it, he's also our first playable third party villain rep, since it has always been the heroes of the franchises...

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Man, that Sephiroth trailer started exactly like I envisioned Reimu's trailer to be. Still hyped, really cool to see such an icon villain in the game!
I thought the same thing. lol

I wouldn't consider it a net negative. I'd argue it helps that FFVII is the one game in Smash that is absolutely barren in terms of representation.

Quidd Dude

Smash Apprentice
Something possibly very good for her is how Steve and Sephiroth are definitively the big international hits of the pass, meaning that a character/series who's popularity comes more from a single region of the world (like Reimu) could happen next.
Honesty i believe that the next fighter is going to be an eastern specific rep so Reimu's chances might increase. And this is more personal but honestly i need a character that hypes me up since this pass has been kinda meh for me (although i was happy seeing Steve and Sephiroth since some of my friends wanted them).

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
IMO Robotnik and Dr. Wily would be pretty big names with a real shot if we're now permitted to double-dip, just to name a couple. Iconic 3rd-party villains whose series are already in in general benefit a lot from this. Sephiroth is obviously in a league of his own as far as popularity goes, so it's not quite the same, but it does raise some interesting possibilities.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
IMO Robotnik and Dr. Wily would be pretty big names with a real shot if we're now permitted to double-dip, just to name a couple. Iconic 3rd-party villains whose series are already in in general benefit a lot from this. Sephiroth is obviously in a league of his own as far as popularity goes, so it's not quite the same, but it does raise some interesting possibilities.
I'm still firmly in the camp of no Assist trophies, so Wily is off the table. Plus, Zero seems to be the most natural second Mega Man rep, but he's an assist too. I think Protoman would probably be an easy echo, but I don't see that happening.

I'd say the most likely repeat 3rd party reps atm are 1. Chun-Li with 2. Eggman close behind and 3. Raiden as a trailing third.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Y'know, I was wondering if Reimu might have a shot-changing gimmick, kinda like Min Min. Touhou's a pretty projectile-heavy series, so it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to assume that Reimu would have an expansive array of projectile normals like Mega Man. Seeing as having multiple shots is a recurring element throughout the series, I'm thinking Reimu might be able to change between the Hakurei Amulets and the Persuasion Needles.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Y'know, I was wondering if Reimu might have a shot-changing gimmick, kinda like Min Min. Touhou's a pretty projectile-heavy series, so it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to assume that Reimu would have an expansive array of projectile normals like Mega Man. Seeing as having multiple shots is a recurring element throughout the series, I'm thinking Reimu might be able to change between the Hakurei Amulets and the Persuasion Needles.
I'm personally of the opinion that alternate shot types would simply manifest themselves as different special moves, just like they do in the Touhou fighters. Seems like the easiest way to do it.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'm personally of the opinion that alternate shot types would simply manifest themselves as different special moves, just like they do in the Touhou fighters. Seems like the easiest way to do it.
I suppose it all depends on what side of the coin we're basing it one. Either one could work, but being able to select different shots is a prominent recurring aspect of the shooters, and I think I've seen selectable super moves in ULiL and AoCF playthroughs too. It feels like something Smash might want to translate; Min Min's done something similar with the ARMS changing.

Of course, the alternating shot types would also depend on how projectile-heavy Reimu is; If the projectiles are mainly relegated to the specials, changing them would seem rather arbitrary and unnecessary.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Just confirming, have you guys seen the Sephiroth/Crash/Reimu/KOS-MOS rumor? This is my first post in the thread so I wouldn’t know

zferolie

Smash Hero
Ask and ye shall receive
View attachment 295265
I found this just as you quoted me haha. Hmm. it COULD be a lucky guess, or its a legit leak. very hard to say just yet, but its one to keep an eye one. guessing Sephiroth is a long shot, given how everyone was convinced nothing FF was going to be added due to SE being hard to work with...

Still, if thats the rest of the pass, I'd be happy. Shantae is my most wanted, but Reimu is a close second, and both rep indies in different ways. KOS-MOS also would be super cool.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
Honestly, even if this leak isn't real, it's still a really good guess to put down Sephiroth in there, especially since everyone had low morale over any new Final Fantasy content into Smash to begin with.

But if this is somehow legit and we do get her as well as Crash and KOS-MOS, this would mean we can do Reimu vs Sephiroth and that is a matchup I never thought I wanted to see in my life until today.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Ask and ye shall receive
View attachment 295265
I'm wondering if this rumor is worth enough for PapaGenos to put into his speculation video about the aftermath of Sephiroth's reveal, tho I know his discord chat won't pin the message because there's no screenshot from the original source.

Not that it's worth the talk or legitimate but I just want Reimu to be featured in his video again as a brownie point and a free recognition:194:

Last edited:

zriL

Smash Journeyman
This leak has at least one good thing for itself, it got an actual bold prediction right, it's already quite rare. It could still be a lucky guess but it's pretty surprising that the only common pick is Crash. Reimu and Cosmos are also quite bold predictions, and the period where they were flavor of the month was 1 year ago, so it cannot be considered as piggybacking.

I'd say there is one big issue about this leak, it's claiming to know the whole pass and there should be very few people who have this information. And these people would be quite important for the project, therefore not very likely to be willing to leak it, while a random tester or journalist shouldn't have this much information.

Last edited:
Top Bottom