• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Anyone remember this gem from an earlier decade?

Ah yes, this thing. Apparently this was THE Touhou thing back in the day. I feel like I really missed out on something whenever the early 2010's Touhou craze is brought up.

I also mentioned it in the big Touhou DLC page I finished a while back. Felt like it was worth mentioning.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Fascinating. Apparently Touhou's had some degree of crossover with a Nintendo game already.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I recently stumbled across a few Touhou assist trophy ideas here:

I have quite a lot of assist trophy ideas for Touhou Project characters. Here are a few

Marisa Kirisame: Aims at players with huge lasers (Master Spark). Throws cartoonish stars in all directions.

Youmu Konpaku: Actually consists of two entities that are similar except for the fact that one of them (ghost half) does not have a hurtbox, making her impossible to hit. Attacks with quick movements using her swords, moves very fast. Eliminating the hitable one makes the other one disappear as well.

Sakuya Izayoi: Attacks by randomly speeding up / slowing down characters in time, or the game's time itself. Also throws knives at opponents.

Seija Kijin: Reverses the screen horizontally, vertically, or both. The behavior would be the same as already existing hazards with this effect.
I would say that Marisa and Youmu merit to be playable, but Sakuya and Seija have no place on the roster due to not being well known enough in general nowadays.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
I recently stumbled across a few Touhou assist trophy ideas here:

I would say that Marisa and Youmu merit to be playable, but Sakuya and Seija have no place on the roster due to not being well known enough in general nowadays.
Honestly Touhou is a big enough cult classic that ANYONE would be a good choice for Smash Ultimate even if they aren't that popular. Although IMHO I think Marisa has the highest chance for being a 2nd Touhou rep. (I've only played the horizontal shmup spinoff Touhou Azure Reflections but do want to play the mainline Touhou series one day.)

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Honestly Touhou is a big enough cult classic that ANYONE would be a good choice for Smash Ultimate even if they aren't that popular. Although IMHO I think Marisa has the highest chance for being a 2nd Touhou rep. (I've only played the horizontal shmup spinoff Touhou Azure Reflections but do want to play the mainline Touhou series one day.)
I absolutely doubt that Touhou is obscure. Well, Touhou used to be obscure until the mid-late 2000s. I agree with you about Marisa, I would want her to be the 2nd Touhou rep! The only 4 iconic Touhou characters in general are Reimu, Marisa, Youmu, and Sanae.

Maam, I don't want to be rude to you, but I've come to conclusion that you are acting like obscure 3rd party characters can still deserve to be playable.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I absolutely doubt that Touhou is obscure. Well, Touhou used to be obscure until the mid-late 2000s. I agree with you about Marisa, I would want her to be the 2nd Touhou rep! The only 4 iconic Touhou characters in general are Reimu, Marisa, Youmu, and Sanae.

Maam, I don't want to be rude to you, but I've come to conclusion that you are acting like obscure 3rd party characters can still deserve to be playable.
I don't give a flying %$#@ over who "deserves" a slot in the roster, I just want to make gamer person and other gamer person punch each other in the face until they are launched into the endless void beyond at 987532 miles an hour

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Could you please explain further?
Well the thing is most people know Touhou from the internet and something like that pops up randomly out of nowhere, given that Touhou history with the internet is not something uncommon to see some videos gets thousands of views with our subject being Night of Nights and also Bad Apple to some extent.

The thing is Sakuya is probably face of Touhou around the internet given that the video relating to her that I mentioned before garnered so many attention from different demographic, the obvious one being otaku and musician with the more obscure one being the Undertale fanbase (which always compare Sans to her for absolutely no reason than they're the color blue) and JoJo fans because character doing time stop + throwing knives = Dio. The most obvious example for this is probably Alpharad and the only one who seems fall between knowing Touhou or just barely digging it any deeper given how he mentioned Reimu so many times regarding Touhou fighter in Smash which is rarely while he admits liking Sakuya either because of her interesting design or music or because she's his main in Rivals of Aether workshop videos which goes back to the Night of Nights video all over again. It seems that the internet associate Touhou with Sakuya more rather than Sanae and Youmu, heck can you even count how many videos about her from people who doesn't even know anything about Touhou other than her alone and her music?

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Well the thing is most people know Touhou from the internet and something like that pops up randomly out of nowhere, given that Touhou history with the internet is not something uncommon to see some videos gets thousands of views with our subject being Night of Nights and also Bad Apple to some extent.
I've been aware of that already.

The thing is Sakuya is probably face of Touhou around the internet given that the video relating to her that I mentioned before garnered so many attention from different demographic, the obvious one being otaku and musician with the more obscure one being the Undertale fanbase (which always compare Sans to her for absolutely no reason than they're the color blue) and JoJo fans because character doing time stop + throwing knives = Dio. The most obvious example for this is probably Alpharad and the only one who seems fall between knowing Touhou or just barely digging it any deeper given how he mentioned Reimu so many times regarding Touhou fighter in Smash which is rarely while he admits liking Sakuya either because of her interesting design or music or because she's his main in Rivals of Aether workshop videos which goes back to the Night of Nights video all over again. It seems that the internet associate Touhou with Sakuya more rather than Sanae and Youmu, heck can you even count how many videos about her from people who doesn't even know anything about Touhou other than her alone and her music?
That was probably only during the Wii era. No offense, but I don't think Sakuya is a particulary iconic character anymore nowadays. Sakuya along with Remilia and Flandre now remain obscure. For comparison, Earthworm Jim was iconic during the SNES era, but he eventually faded into obscurity later.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Touhou is still definitely obscure but that doesn’t really say anything more than that they’re, well, obscure. A Touhou character could still get in regardless and as a matter of fact the reason people are looking at Falcom as a dark horse pick is because SNK was and they both can be considered obscure.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Touhou is still definitely obscure but that doesn’t really say anything more than that they’re, well, obscure. A Touhou character could still get in regardless and as a matter of fact the reason people are looking at Falcom as a dark horse pick is because SNK was and they both can be considered obscure.
Touhou is certainly not obscure, neither is King of Fighters. Also, don't be surprised if you think Touhou is obscure, because most people think Touhou is Obscure, but it isn't.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Touhou is certainly not obscure, neither is King of Fighters. Also, don't be surprised if you think Touhou is obscure, because most people think Touhou is Obscure, but it isn't. And I will continue to support Reimu.
It is obscure. 100% is. That’s not a bad thing.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
It is obscure. 100% is. That’s not a bad thing.
Of course obscurity is certainly not a bad thing at all! But do you support Reimu or not?

Anyway, I think turning Reimu into an assist trophy/excluding Reimu would be a terribly gratutious idea, since she would warrant an exclusion. Futhermore, Touhou is nowhere as obscure as Bayonetta, Viewtiful Joe, or Freedom Planet. Reimu and Marisa have made tons of appearances in media.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Of course obscurity is certainly not a bad thing at all! But do you support Reimu or not?

Anyway, I think turning Reimu into an assist trophy/excluding Reimu would be a terribly gratutious idea, since she would warrant an exclusion. Futhermore, Touhou is nowhere as obscure as Bayonetta, Viewtiful Joe, or Freedom Planet. Reimu and Marisa have made tons of appearances in media.
I don’t think whether me supporting Reimu or not is very relevant to the conversation but if you must know I’m pretty indifferent to their inclusion.

How obscure something is isn’t really relative to the point of something being obscure either. Even then how obscure something is in comparison to another is always up for debate. Like, me personally, I knew of Bayonetta and Viewtiful Joe FAR before Touhou which I’ve only heard of this speculation cycle so to me the Touhou franchise seems pretty obscure in comparison. To you it could be different.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I don’t think whether me supporting Reimu or not is very relevant to the conversation but if you must know I’m pretty indifferent to their inclusion.

How obscure something is isn’t really relative to the point of something being obscure either. Even then how obscure something is in comparison to another is always up for debate. Like, me personally, I knew of Bayonetta and Viewtiful Joe FAR before Touhou which I’ve only heard of this speculation cycle so to me the Touhou franchise seems pretty obscure in comparison. To you it could be different.
I don't think Touhou is very obscure... In Japan, at least. It has a bit of a lopsided obscurity, kinda like Fire Emblem and Dragon Quest, but a bit more unbalanced. In Japan, Touhou is popular enough to have legions of fangames, annual conventions, heck, there's even artwork of the characters in a restaurant. In the West, though, it is pretty under-the-radar. It definitely is a matter of perspective.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I really wish that touhou smash brothers indiegogo game from years ago coulkd have happened, but sadly the creator and ZUN got into a disagreement, plus other things i beleive

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I really wish that touhou smash brothers indiegogo game from years ago coulkd have happened, but sadly the creator and ZUN got into a disagreement, plus other things i beleive

Yeah, ZUN didn't like them trying to crowdfund a project with his characters. I'd imagine he'd be fine with a crossover for a Kickstarter game, but he doesn't like it if you try to use his stuff for the initial funding.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Yeah, ZUN didn't like them trying to crowdfund a project with his characters. I'd imagine he'd be fine with a crossover for a Kickstarter game, but he doesn't like it if you try to use his stuff for the initial funding.
thats what it seemed like for sure. but hasn't some games since then been kickstarted with touhou, or am I mistaken? maybe not kickstarter but some other crowd funding source?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
thats what it seemed like for sure. but hasn't some games since then been kickstarted with touhou, or am I mistaken? maybe not kickstarter but some other crowd funding source?
Not that I know of, though admittedly my knowledge of Touhou fangames isn't very expansive.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I don't think Touhou is very obscure... In Japan, at least. It has a bit of a lopsided obscurity, kinda like Fire Emblem and Dragon Quest, but a bit more unbalanced. In Japan, Touhou is popular enough to have legions of fangames, annual conventions, heck, there's even artwork of the characters in a restaurant. In the West, though, it is pretty under-the-radar. It definitely is a matter of perspective.
Hmm, could you please show me some examples of artworks of Touhou characters in a restaurant in Japan? I know that there has been a plentiful number of Touhou fangames. Furthermore, Touhou has been more iconic than Persona, Contra, Digimon, Shantae, and Metal Slug.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Furthermore, Touhou has been more iconic than Persona, Contra, Digimon, Shantae, and Metal Slug.
You gotta stop making this broad assumptions and comparisons. Or at the very least add an “imo” at the end of them.

All you’re doing is alienating fans of these series who may be interested in Reimu.

Last edited:

Dr. Yatagarasu

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, could you please show me some examples of artworks of Touhou characters in a restaurant in Japan? I know that there has been a plentiful number of Touhou fangames. Furthermore, Touhou has been more iconic than Persona, Contra, Digimon, Shantae, and Metal Slug.
honestly, the obsession you show with ranking everything on some hierarchical list on literally every thread I find you on is somewhat tiring and frankly, not really even possible to measure with any degree of accuracy. Like, limited broad generalizations like touhou is more popular than japan than x thing might be possible, but honestly, why obsess over this? If we're going purely by ""the most iconic""" thing, the only newcomers we would've gotten would've been hero, Steve, and 7 variations of fortnite skins.

So basically what nonspecificguy said, yeah

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Friendly reminder to...

Take it easy!
Thanks!

honestly, the obsession you show with ranking everything on some hierarchical list on literally every thread I find you on is somewhat tiring and frankly, not really even possible to measure with any degree of accuracy. Like, limited broad generalizations like touhou is more popular than japan than x thing might be possible, but honestly, why obsess over this? If we're going purely by ""the most iconic""" thing, the only newcomers we would've gotten would've been hero, Steve, and 7 variations of fortnite skins.
The reason why I'm obsessed with the hierarchy of fame is because I'm just curious about how franchises and characters trump each other, and how audiences prefer one franchise over another. And I'm never 100% accurate or guaranteed about the fame hierarchy.

All you’re doing is alienating fans of these series who may be interested in Reimu.
I'm not trying to alienate anyone at all. And also, I would like to see some examples of artworks of Touhou characters appearing in restaurants in Japan.

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion

So basically what nonspecificguy said, yeah
When do I get DLC to make Mario dab?

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
When do I get DLC to make Mario dab?
Mario and Luigi have been playable since Smash 64.

To get back on topic, I had an idea lately, I doubt this would ever happen, but Reimu's final smash could include her ripping her shirt off and firing a massive flurry of rapid projectiles, similar to something along the lines of this:

Also, would Reimu use her Gohei as a melee weapon?

Last edited:

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
kaithehedgefox kaithehedgefox I really didnt wanted to tell this but I'm glad others voiced their opinions in as well. You are way too focused and obsessed on whether or not something is iconic or better and worse than something. You really need to drop it, you have been going on the entire thread with it and It is very tiresome. You even felt the need to make a YouTube video with your OCs on the matter to top it off. I hope you understand and try to calm down a bit.

On the topic regarding Restaurants with Touhou collaborations.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

There is also a Maribel and Renko themed Café https://www.1569.design/bscafe
as well as a Touhou themed bar called UN Owen https://barunowen.wixsite.com/u-n-owen

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
On the topic regarding Restaurants with Touhou collaborations.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

There is also a Maribel and Renko themed Café https://www.1569.design/bscafe
as well as a Touhou themed bar called UN Owen https://barunowen.wixsite.com/u-n-owen
WOW! Those cafes are gorgeous! How many appearances have Reimu and Marisa made outside of their home franchise?

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Reimu might be considered a swordfighter I guess. I'm curious, has Reimu or Marisa ever performed a rapid slash attack, similar to Dante (Devil May Cry)?
No, they're more focused on shooting in the mainline games, and the fighters are still very projectile-heavy, with some supplements with punches and single weapon strikes. If anything, they're close to Sol Badguy; A pseudo-swordfighter who uses their weapons to back up their brawling (Except with a hundred more projectiles).

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
No, they're more focused on shooting in the mainline games, and the fighters are still very projectile-heavy, with some supplements with punches and single weapon strikes. If anything, they're close to Sol Badguy; A pseudo-swordfighter who uses their weapons to back up their brawling (Except with a hundred more projectiles).
I know that a staple of the Touhou cast is firing a flurry of rapid projectiles.

VicAdward

Smash Apprentice

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Top Bottom