• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

zriL

Smash Journeyman
Besides his insane technical skills, MinusT definitely has one the best interpretation of Touhou character designs in my opinion. Much badass, not too loli, not too mature, not too cute, not too sexy, I hope Smash go this route if Reimu gets in.

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
Do not expect a big announcement at Indie Live Expo 2020.
They are very likely not there to make announcements, but rather to give a speech, or a personal message out there for other Indie/Doujin developers.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
They are very likely not there to make announcements, but rather to give a speech, or a personal message out there for other Indie/Doujin developers.
We are the smash community all we do are big expectations

zriL

Smash Journeyman
I disagree. It looks like they want to make this event a big deal. If nothing happens besides some speeches or interviews, the event will be seen as a big flop. They didn't put it around E3 for no reason, it's supposed to be an E3 kind of show and any E3 show is treated like **** if there is no big annoucement.

It's probably aiming to be like the E3 PC show. That show weren't as popular as the big editor shows, but there were still some annoucements.

But it's very likely not about Smash, I agree about this.

Last edited:

Tetrus

Smash Rookie
So Indie Live Expo announced their event schedule a few hours ago.

The news can be found on the site on the official home page,

Gematsu has also posted this announcement in a more readable format here. Other game news sites have probably done the same as well.

As far as I can tell, no hints or events pointing to Smash at all, to no one's surprise. Though Nintendo being absent from the sponsor list makes that pretty much a given.

ZUN and Toby Fox have a timeslot just for their special messages on the show, so it will at least be interesting to hear what they have to say.

zriL

Smash Journeyman
There was no hint for Smash at the Game Awards. If something Smash were to happen, they obviously wouldn't say it in the program.

The main part of the is Indie Live Premiere and it has the most vague description : "Information on some of the latest indie titles". Anything could happen there, as long as it's about some indie Title.
I still don't really expect Smash stuff, but some new Touhou game or Toby Fox game is very likely in my opinion.

edit : actually you're right about the sponsors, that should mean no smash at all.

In hindsight, right now there is no reason for Nintendo to announce anything Smash out of a direct like they did at the Game Award. They already have a Smash direct planned this month so would they will announce everything there, like they do every year at E3.

Last edited:

nintenplayer

Smash Journeyman
I'm just hoping for more info on the AoCF Switch/PS4 port

And Luna Nights too but idk if its developers are participating in this event

zferolie

Smash Hero
So I haven't heard of this game before, but I guess its getting a free update with new stuff coming. Anyone Play Gensokyo Night Festival?

Oborochi

Smash Rookie
Ok. This is going to be a short post. No new ZUN games were announced. Reimu was not announced for smash. Old fan games were advertised through the broadcast. Toby did a great speech which ZUN reacted to. Other than that, I have nothing else to comment on. Also Gensokyo Night Festival getting a Stage 2. Other than that good night.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Ok. This is going to be a short post. No new ZUN games were announced. Reimu was not announced for smash. Old fan games were advertised through the broadcast. Toby did a great speech which ZUN reacted to. Other than that, I have nothing else to comment on. Also Gensokyo Night Festival getting a Stage 2. Other than that good night.
oh that was today? And nothing new was announced? Well other then the thing I posted? What did toby and ZUN say anyway?

Oborochi

Smash Rookie
oh that was today? And nothing new was announced? Well other then the thing I posted? What did toby and ZUN say anyway?
Toby was just making a wholesome speech about game development, and wanted to help everyone stay positive during these rough times (corona). Other than that ZUN just said "I will make something." You should check the video for the full speech. *Edit* Touhou 16th Popularity vote is out now https://toho-vote.info/ Get voting now! https://twitter.com/Chris_Flandre/status/1269267755909419008

Last edited:

zriL

Smash Journeyman
Nothing happened in the show but the message was cool so I'm not even disappointed.

Narp

Smash Cadet
So I haven't heard of this game before, but I guess its getting a free update with new stuff coming. Anyone Play Gensokyo Night Festival?
Oh yeah, I've been looking forward to this update! Game's pretty sweet so far.

Still no word on Luna Nights for Switch though, this is odd.
I'm just hoping for more info on the AoCF Switch/PS4 port
Oh, and that, too!

Last edited:

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
Hey everyone. I made a fighter pack for Reimu including everything from moveset to music, and I'd like to get some feedback on it, so please give your honest thoughs on it.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xFMdA814hKYJKMjhFR6YZ2K6pY1Nobj8_rg34IzWiuI/edit
Wow, huge props on this! It's really detailed, I liked it a bunch. The Classic route is pretty much how I imagined it could be if she was added. I'd be surprised if they don't go with Dracula as her boss to reference EoSD.

I like the moveset and gimmicks you gave to her a lot; I think they'd fit pretty well into the game. I was at first gonna say the normals seemed a little too similar to other moves but it's not like we haven't seen that in the game already with so many fighters being in it. Also the "spellcard" gimmick is something I hadn't seen brought up before, but now I'm surprised I hadn't because it sounds perfect, it'd make her feel even closer to the actual Touhou fighters and would be quite the fun gimmick to go with how most of the other DLC characters have their own.

The specials and spellcards seem fine overall for what'd go in the game, not too overpowered nor too weak. All I'd say is that it seems the normal Fantasy Seal (not the final smash) doesn't seem to have a counter to it. Unless it's just the possibility to dodge it somehow. I'd probably have had more colors referencing other characters, but they could just go with normal stuff like that in the game. Really liked the victory/lose animations and taunts though.

I dunno if they'd actually go with that many cameos in the stage, but you know what, given the SNK ones, who knows? Either way, nice details on those. The spirits are also pretty well done, though if they were to add Maribel and Renko I dunno if they'd go with the theories of what they become. Even if Maribel being Yukari is a quite popular one. Either way, pretty nice! And I think they fit as the Legend spirits being some of the more reappearing strong characters, Yukari especially.

Mii Costumes are pretty nice as well, if I were to add some myself, I'd say a Mokou brawler and Tenshi swordfighter. These just feel like they fit.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Wow, huge props on this! It's really detailed, I liked it a bunch. The Classic route is pretty much how I imagined it could be if she was added. I'd be surprised if they don't go with Dracula as her boss to reference EoSD.

I like the moveset and gimmicks you gave to her a lot; I think they'd fit pretty well into the game. I was at first gonna say the normals seemed a little too similar to other moves but it's not like we haven't seen that in the game already with so many fighters being in it. Also the "spellcard" gimmick is something I hadn't seen brought up before, but now I'm surprised I hadn't because it sounds perfect, it'd make her feel even closer to the actual Touhou fighters and would be quite the fun gimmick to go with how most of the other DLC characters have their own.

The specials and spellcards seem fine overall for what'd go in the game, not too overpowered nor too weak. All I'd say is that it seems the normal Fantasy Seal (not the final smash) doesn't seem to have a counter to it. Unless it's just the possibility to dodge it somehow. I'd probably have had more colors referencing other characters, but they could just go with normal stuff like that in the game. Really liked the victory/lose animations and taunts though.

I dunno if they'd actually go with that many cameos in the stage, but you know what, given the SNK ones, who knows? Either way, nice details on those. The spirits are also pretty well done, though if they were to add Maribel and Renko I dunno if they'd go with the theories of what they become. Even if Maribel being Yukari is a quite popular one. Either way, pretty nice! And I think they fit as the Legend spirits being some of the more reappearing strong characters, Yukari especially.

Mii Costumes are pretty nice as well, if I were to add some myself, I'd say a Mokou brawler and Tenshi swordfighter. These just feel like they fit.
Thanks for the feedback. For the normal Fantasy Seal, Ihave the idea of it not going having too much range, and also only going in front of Reimu, meaning that rolling or airdodging past it would have been an option against it. And for the alts, I'll admit that I lazy with them. And yeah, I went all out for the music and cameos.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Youtube recommended me this video a couple of days ago and I've been listening to it non stop ever since. Song is an absolute banger and the animation is beyond incredible. Shinra-Bansho is known for having really high quality videos for their songs but this one just blows everything out of the water for me. Best Touhou PV I've ever seen. Also yet another proof that WBaWC had the best characters and plot. :v
Ah yes, Mega man. Had a ton of fun with the collections. Played through 1 to 7 last year and I am currently playing the X games until I make my way to 8-10. Might play through 11 again, even if it wasn't that long ago.
Apologies for the late reply - hope you had fun with the X games! Mega Man is one of my favorite video game franchises of all time. Kinda wish Tasofro would make a sequel to MegaMari one day. Always loved the idea and there is so much untouched potential for it, especially nowadays!

RodAcoPer

Smash Journeyman
Hey everyone. I made a fighter pack for Reimu including everything from moveset to music, and I'd like to get some feedback on it, so please give your honest thoughs on it.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xFMdA814hKYJKMjhFR6YZ2K6pY1Nobj8_rg34IzWiuI/edit
Still pretty cool, but i would change some things like:
*Some of her alternate costumes to resemble other characters, like a Blonde Haired & Black Outfit to resemble Marisa, a Green Haired & Blue outfit o resemble Sanae or even a Purple Haired & White Top represent PC-98 Reimu.
*Several spirit battles Like making Sakuya :ultsheik: on her Blue Alt that favors Neutral Specials with Timers appearing often
Marisa a :ultgunner: Wearing the magic hat & maid outfit with sudden Final Smashes,
Mima :ultpalutena: on her Blue Alt that favors special attacks and has a Super Scope,
Aya :ultdarkpit: on his White Alt with Yuri Kozukata showing up, etc
*For Her Classic Mode The only thing that i change would be the boss, swapping Marx with Dracula since he is a vampire, Dracula's fight feel more like a bullet hell in comparation to other bosses, and Marx works better to represent Clownpiece in my opinion

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
For Her Classic Mode The only thing that i change would be the boss, swapping Marx with Dracula since he is a vampire, Dracula's fight feel more like a bullet hell in comparation to other bosses, and Marx works better to represent Clownpiece in my opinion
Remilia is already Dracula. Marx is a stand-in for Flandre because of the wings.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
Two boss fights in a row sounds hard enough, but can you imagine if Reimu's classic mode was just a boss rush?

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Two boss fights in a row sounds hard enough, but can you imagine if Reimu's classic mode was just a boss rush?
Sakurai: To recreate the dificulty of the Touhou bullet hells, we made Reimu's classic route a boss rush, where you fight Galeem and Darkhon at the end, which include the entire final fight, which itself already has a boss rush. And you also have no spirits, while the boss are as strong as in World of Light in Lunatic mode, the brand new dificulty in World of Light added with this patch. Please note that we were mercifull enough to have you get healed in between bosses.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
I've made a Touhou themed ruleset were everyone gets 5 stocks but with only 10HP each. Would like to see Reimu's classic route looking similar to this. Give her 3 stocks with ~30HP for every fight with her opponents having a lot more health but only one life. Seems reasonable difficulty wise while still emulating the feeling of her series.

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
Apologies for the late reply - hope you had fun with the X games! Mega Man is one of my favorite video game franchises of all time.
No worries, been awhile since I've showed up here.
I had, Though I still have to play through X4. The rest I'll pass on. Never played them and have yet to hear anything good about them.
Kinda wish Tasofro would make a sequel to MegaMari one day. Always loved the idea and there is so much untouched potential for it, especially nowadays!
Funny, I had the very same idea and started a little project of mine in my spare time, which should end up being similar to Mega Man X's style of gameplay, with Marisa as the main playable character. Though, realistically speaking, I'm alone and just started playing around with Unity so it will be a long time until something worthwhile comes out of it. I have experienece with music and art but coding is entirely new for me.

But hey, the beauty of calling it a "little project" is: no pressure.

zriL

Smash Journeyman
Funny, I had the very same idea and started a little project of mine in my spare time, which should end up being similar to Mega Man X's style of gameplay, with Marisa as the main playable character. Though, realistically speaking, I'm alone and just started playing around with Unity so it will be a long time until something worthwhile comes out of it. I have experienece with music and art but coding is entirely new for me.
Cool ! I am a coder and I often participate in game jams or work on small hobby projects. I've always wanted to try doing some Touhou someday so if you want some help or even just some advice, don't hesitate to ask. I'd be happy to help :)

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Some of you all have probably seen it already but the results of this year's Touhou Vote are out! https://maribelhearn.com/thvote
The top ~30 of the music section could make a nice track list for Smash.
No worries, been awhile since I've showed up here.
I had, Though I still have to play through X4. The rest I'll pass on. Never played them and have yet to hear anything good about them.
Yeah, you're not missing much there. X5-X8 range from alright to downright terrible.

But hey, the beauty of calling it a "little project" is: no pressure.
That sounds awesome! Who knows, maybe you'll get to sell your game at Reitaisai or Comiket in a couple of years. A friend of mine is currently working on a Smash inspired Touhou game and he's coming along quite well. Just finished the engine so if the Reimu for Smash dream crumbles one day we still might have a nice platform fighter for us fans to play and enjoy.

zriL

Smash Journeyman
Some of you all have probably seen it already but the results of this year's Touhou Vote are out! https://maribelhearn.com/thvote
What happened with Youmu for her to take the first place ? I'm not complaining though :)

I'm quite surprised by the first ranking of Idolatrize World at 4th place, but the rest pretty much sums up what I felt about Touhou 17. That it had a subpar soundtrack besides stage 6 boss theme.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
What happened with Youmu for her to take the first place ? I'm not complaining though :)

I'm quite surprised by the first ranking of Idolatrize World at 4th place, but the rest pretty much sums up what I felt about Touhou 17. That it had a subpar soundtrack besides stage 6 boss theme.
Probably because of WBaWC. I remember Reisen experiencing a pretty decent popularity boom too after LoLK brought her back.

I think every song post demo was really good in 17 - the early game tracks were very uninteresting though.

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
The top ~30 of the music section could make a nice track list for Smash.

Yeah, you're not missing much there. X5-X8 range from alright to downright terrible.

That sounds awesome! Who knows, maybe you'll get to sell your game at Reitaisai or Comiket in a couple of years. A friend of mine is currently working on a Smash inspired Touhou game and he's coming along quite well. Just finished the engine so if the Reimu for Smash dream crumbles one day we still might have a nice platform fighter for us fans to play and enjoy.
It's pretty funny that Kokoro's gotten 17th three times in a row. I guess she's just stuck there somehow. Either way those are nice results, I thought Youmu's placing would go up with WBaWC but not all the way up to 1. Pretty nice for her though!

Also yeah, I agree, I wish the X5-X8 games were better because the first few X games are some of my favorites in MM.

Brazillian Cara

Smash Cadet
For reference, X5 and X8 are the alright ones.

Probably because of WBaWC. I remember Reisen experiencing a pretty decent popularity boom too after LoLK brought her back.

I think every song post demo was really good in 17 - the early game tracks were very uninteresting though.
I dunno, I thought the first stage and boss are pretty good, though the other four tracks are actually a bit forgettable (and kind of weird in the case of the second boss).

zriL

Smash Journeyman
I like stats and I wanted to confirm my feeling that Touhou music became less good since TH12. So I counted for each game how many tracks they have in the top 50 of the poll. It seems my feeling wasn't just a feeling :

This isn't considering that recent tracks have a bit of recency bias and tend to fall off after some time. So the gap is actually even bigger.

Last edited:

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
Youmu getting 1st by a pretty large margin is certainly surprising, but almost equally as shocking is Marisa at 4th

And idk what you guys are talking about, The Stone Baby and the Undersea Cow was really cool, definitely up there with my favorites from WBaWC.

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
I like stats and I wanted to confirm my feeling that Touhou music became less good since TH12. So I counted for each game how many tracks they have in the top 50 of the poll. It seems my feeling wasn't just a feeling :

This isn't considering that recent tracks have a bit of recency bias and tend to fall off after some time. So the gap is actually even bigger.
I guess EoSD will always be at the top. U.N Owen is uncontested. I'd say some of the tracks in the top ones are more ones people are used to; from WBaBC for example Idolatrize World is pretty good.

zriL

Smash Journeyman
I guess EoSD will always be at the top. U.N Owen is uncontested. I'd say some of the tracks in the top ones are more ones people are used to; from WBaBC for example Idolatrize World is pretty good.
My feeling wasn't really about which game has the best track. It's more about how the old games had pretty much only good tracks for the whole soundtrack while the recent ones have good tracks but only a few every time. And I think the stats are showing this pretty well.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
I think this is less a "Old is superior than new" thing and more or less a case of the older games being more established and is where the fanbase truly took off between TH6-8.

I mean of course UN Owen was Her would be more liked than something like Idolatrize World consider EOSD has been the start of the Windows Era. It's less "A drop in music quality" and more "The older games are just more established and broke to memetic levels even outside the Touhou fandom". It's not that the newer songs are bad(Some of the recent games have some of my favorite tunes), but it's more or less that EOSD to IN are extremely well established and more familiar for being some of the older stuff.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
I think this is less a "Old is superior than new" thing and more or less a case of the older games being more established and is where the fanbase truly took off between TH6-8.

I mean of course UN Owen was Her would be more liked than something like Idolatrize World consider EOSD has been the start of the Windows Era. It's less "A drop in music quality" and more "The older games are just more established and broke to memetic levels even outside the Touhou fandom". It's not that the newer songs are bad(Some of the recent games have some of my favorite tunes), but it's more or less that EOSD to IN are extremely well established and more familiar for being some of the older stuff.
I agree with that. The only thing that I can say abuot the quality of music changing is that the themes for the final bosses are always better from UFO and onwards, while there's an argument for the theme of either the final or extra boss being better for EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, and SA. It's just that I feel like there's so much more emotions in the recents final boss themes, especialy for Pure Furies and Idolatrize World.

Lasatar

Smash Apprentice
The quality of the music has not diminished. The fanbase is just stuck in the past. Heck, a lot of them haven't even touched games other than EoSD. It actually really grinds my gears how obsessed the fanbase is with those earlier games. It's like they're intentionally shutting themselves off from the rest of the series.

If EoSD was released today, I can guarantee you that most people wouldn't give two s***s about it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom