• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Welp, I finally finished the character list. I'd have posted it earlier, but then I started on the Spirit Board, so that's done too. I'm in the home stretch here; All I need is to explain the Spirit Battle references and the music list.
So can I create my own article for Super Smash Bros. X (insert franchise here)?

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure you can, but it would probably be best if you established who that fan character is on the wiki fist before you go ahead with the DLC.
Speaking of fancharacters, I know that indie characters are eligible for Smash. I know that all fancharacters are 3rd party characters. But would a fancharacter who was originally created for a videogame be eligible for Smash? Sakurai didn't mention "No fancharacters/unofficial characters".

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
Speaking of fancharacters, I know that indie characters are eligible for Smash. I know that all fancharacters are 3rd party characters. But would a fancharacter who was originally created for a videogame be eligible for Smash? Sakurai didn't mention "No fancharacters/unofficial characters".
I think this has less to do with "eligible" and moreso to do with priorities and how Smash is about portraying franchises as close to the source (official) as possible.
A unofficial fan character does not represent the series they are based off.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I think this has less to do with "eligible" and moreso to do with priorities and how Smash is about portraying franchises as close to the source (official) as possible.
A unofficial fan character does not represent the series they are based off.
I will give an example, lets say Bob is the main protagonist of an unofficial Mario game. Bob would be a videogame character, but he wouldn't be a Mario rep.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Welp, I'm in the home stretch. Now I'm starting on the soul of the Touhou Project-The music! With the PC-98 games alone, I already have 11 songs. Most of which are fan remixes.

Hahaha... I'm fine... I'm completely and utterly fine...

SharkLord

Smash Hero

58 songs

20 remixes

Only at the halfway mark

I'm not okay

GolisoPower

Smash Master

58 songs

20 remixes

Only at the halfway mark

I'm not okay
Don't worry, man, you got this! :)

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX

Rikarte

Smash Ace

zferolie

Smash Hero
Im pretty sure its not going to be reimu but still pulling for her and shantae. Geno and crash though i feel are the most likely

zriL

Smash Journeyman
Apparently, the japanese twitter doesn't mention the brief message from Sakurai (if someone could confirm this). Would it be because the character is widely known in Japan but not enough in the west, and that it would need an explanation from Sakurai specifically for the western audience ?

You know who fits perfectly for this.

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
Crossing my fingers, hope it happens :D
BTW I got into Touhou fairly recently and have now played all the games from 6 to 17 including some of the fighting games, and have already gotten myself a beautiful Figma of Reimu, with Marisa coming soon on my desk too ^^
I gotta say i've pretty much fallen in love so I'm REALLY hoping it happens :)
(a big part of it being for the music of course lol)

SharkLord

Smash Hero
CRACKPOT THEORY TIME
Not much difference really.

Hunter, Crash, Gen 8 pokemon, Hayabusa.
Dante, Arle, Reimu, Rex, a little less now.

Japan or West, people in Smash speculation tend to have similar thoughts. We're probably mostly on the right track, but at the same time, we're the minorities. At least Japanese Smash speculation communities are so. Random Smash wants posts here and there from people not in the scenes are the majorities, and some from them are really wild. I think this can say the same for the West as well.

So I just decided to search randomly from various places right now and list down 50 names I found from the top.

Site A
Ryza, Arle, Crash, Melmetal, Cinderace, Amiya (Arknights), Hunter, Gen 8, Arle, Hunter, Paper Mario, Meguru Hachimiya (Idolmaster), Hunter, Banjo & Kazooie (wat), Gen 8, Sephiroth, Rillaboom, Reimu, Rillaboom, Rellaboom, Hunter, Paper Mario, Rash (Battletoads), Cinderace, Arle, Ryza, Hunter, Dante, Rillaboom, Gen 8, Reimu, Arle, Bandana Dee, Gen 8, Arle, Arle, Hunter, Gen 8, Lucy (Ninjara), Rex, Zhao Yun, Crash, Lloyd, Saber, Gen 8, Arle, Hunter, Phoenix Wright, Atelier rep

Site B
Arle, Dante, Gen 8, Ring Fit, Geralt, Saber, Sora, Shadow, Pawapuro-kun, Cinderace, Goemon, Zero, Reimu, Hayabusa, Strider Hiryu, Paper Mario, Rillaboom, Kazuma Kiryu, Steve, Phoeniz Wright, Gen 8, Captain Toad, Mashu Kyrielight, Dom (ACNH), Akuma, Parappa, Yuri, Marisa (Touhou), Arle, Idolmaster rep, Hunter, Hunter, King Boo, Fall Guys, Wolf Link & Midna, Tales rep, Lightning, Puyo Puyo rep, KOS-MOS, Atelier rep, Arle, Arle, Ryza, Prinny (Disgaea), DMC rep, Sora, Arthur, 2B, Octoling, Hunter

Site C
Crash, Steve, Puyo Puyo rep, Capcom rep, Gen 8, Touhou rep, Hunter, Rex, Akira Howard, King Bonbie (Momotaro Dentetsu) Idolmaster rep, Arle, Pyramid Head, Hunter, Yuri, Dante, Paper Mario, FGO rep, Hayabusa, Rellaboom, Raiden, Koishi Komeiji (Touhou), Resident Evil rep, Cress (Tales of), Sephiroth, Kunio, KOS-MOS, Lara Croft, Hunter, Riamu Yumemi (Idolmaster), Hayabusa, Hayabusa, Crash, Princess Connect rep, Hunter, Arle, Saber, Rex, Cress (Tales of), Hunter, Reimu, Dante, Cinderace, Gen 8, Crono, Haruka Amami (Idolmaster), Rex, Touhou rep, Dante, Paper Mario
This was posted in the general thread. It's apparently a list of characters discussed in Japanese circles. It might not seem like much, but there's a couple of interesting names I saw in here.
Koishi Komeiji
Didn't expect to see those two here, did you?

The very day after this was posted, a new Smash reveal was announced. You thinking what I'm thinking?
Koish.png

That's right. You heard it here first, Koishi is in.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Apparently, the japanese twitter doesn't mention the brief message from Sakurai (if someone could confirm this). Would it be because the character is widely known in Japan but not enough in the west, and that it would need an explanation from Sakurai specifically for the western audience ?

My brain is telling me: "There's just no way this could be hapening..."

But my heart screams back: "YES. IT. CAN!"

GolisoPower

Smash Master

That right there is the tweet, now let's talk about the tweet, can we talk about the tweet, please, guys, I've been dying to talk about the tweet all day, okay? "Brief message", these words keep popping up over and over again, every minute, this detail's repeating itself everywhere, brief message, brief message, I look in in the inbox, AND THIS WHOLE THREAD IS "BRIEF MESSAGE"! So I say to myself, I gotta know what it is, I gotta go look at Japan, I gotta ask everybody around about this goddamn thing, otherwise, I'll die from impatience and they're gonna keep going all over. So I go over to the Japan Twitter and what do I find out, guys, what do I find out!? There is no brief message. This detail does not exist, okay? So I'm thinking, "oh crap, buddy, I gotta dig a little deeper." There's no brief message? You gotta be kidding, I got TERABYTES FULL OF BRIEF MESSAGE! So I go marching my way down to Rin Satsuki at Hakurei Shrine, and I knock at her door and I say, "RIIIN! RIIIN, I GOTTA TALK TO YOU ABOUT THIS BRIEF MESSAGE," and I open the door and what do I find out, there's not a single goddamn gohei in that shrine, there is. No. Rin Satsuki at Hakurei Shrine. Guys, half these details have been made up. This thread is a goddamn ghost town.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
That right there is the tweet, now let's talk about the tweet, can we talk about the tweet, please, guys, I've been dying to talk about the tweet all day, okay? "Brief message", these words keep popping up over and over again, every minute, this detail's repeating itself everywhere, brief message, brief message, I look in in the inbox, AND THIS WHOLE THREAD IS "BRIEF MESSAGE"! So I say to myself, I gotta know what it is, I gotta go look at Japan, I gotta ask everybody around about this goddamn thing, otherwise, I'll die from impatience and they're gonna keep going all over. So I go over to the Japan Twitter and what do I find out, guys, what do I find out!? There is no brief message. This detail does not exist, okay? So I'm thinking, "oh crap, buddy, I gotta dig a little deeper." There's no brief message? You gotta be kidding, I got TERABYTES FULL OF BRIEF MESSAGE! So I go marching my way down to Rin Satsuki at Hakurei Shrine, and I knock at her door and I say, "RIIIN! RIIIN, I GOTTA TALK TO YOU ABOUT THIS BRIEF MESSAGE," and I open the door and what do I find out, there's not a single goddamn gohei in that shrine, there is. No. Rin Satsuki at Hakurei Shrine. Guys, half these details have been made up. This thread is a goddamn ghost town.
Rin is Pepe Silvia confirmed.

TheKnight

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3539-9322-9633
Switch FC
SW-2614-3733-6607

How dare you get my hopes up like that.

zriL

Smash Journeyman
Just confirming with google trad, here is the japanese tweet :

Urgent notice!
Announcement of new fighter participation at 23:00 on October 1st tomorrow!
It will be unveiled in a movie of about 3 minutes.
Do not miss it!

So no mention of this "brief message". This also means we shouldn't be afraid of an annoncement of some delay concerning the DLC deadline of December 2021, because the japanese tweet would have mentionned it. This really must be a message necessary for the western audience but considered useless for a japanese audience.

Honestly, before this, I didn't believe this was the best slot for Reimu, but since I cannot find a better explanation for this "brief message", Reimu would make perfect sense. Not only Reimu is a perfect fit for this kind of message, but Reimu might be the only character that would warrant such a thing. Indeed, usually when something is very popular in Japan, at the Touhou-level of things, it should be impossible for it not to be known elsewhere. This only happened because ZUN managed Touhou very weirdly, most people would have tried to make tons of money with Touhou, maybe it wouldn't have worked and killed Touhou, who knows. Anyways, Touhou's situation is very unique, such a gap in recognition from one region to another is very unusual. I mean, Touhou might be Naruto-level of fame in Japan, (surprisingly, Touhou is higher than Naruto in google trend but Touhou seems very bugged for some reason), it's hard to imagine something as popular as Naruto not being exported.

But hype responsibly, maybe they just forgot to mention this "message" in japanese, or maybe the fighter is simply from some other obscure japanese game.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Just confirming with google trad, here is the japanese tweet :

Urgent notice!
Announcement of new fighter participation at 23:00 on October 1st tomorrow!
It will be unveiled in a movie of about 3 minutes.
Do not miss it!

So no mention of this "brief message". This also means we shouldn't be afraid of an annoncement of some delay concerning the DLC deadline of December 2021, because the japanese tweet would have mentionned it. This really must be a message necessary for the western audience but considered useless for a japanese audience.

Honestly, before this, I didn't believe this was the best slot for Reimu, but since I cannot find a better explanation for this "brief message", Reimu would make perfect sense. Not only Reimu is a perfect fit for this kind of message, but Reimu might be the only character that would warrant such a thing. Indeed, usually when something is very popular in Japan, at the Touhou-level of things, it should be impossible for it not to be known elsewhere. This only happened because ZUN managed Touhou very weirdly, most people would have tried to make tons of money with Touhou, maybe it wouldn't have worked and killed Touhou, who knows. Anyways, Touhou's situation is very unique, such a gap in recognition from one region to another is very unusual. I mean, Touhou might be Naruto-level of fame in Japan, (surprisingly, Touhou is higher than Naruto in google trend but Touhou seems very bugged for some reason), it's hard to imagine something as popular as Naruto not being exported.

But hype responsibly, maybe they just forgot to mention this "message" in japanese, or maybe the fighter is simply from some other obscure japanese game.
I mean, yeah. Reimu's not the only one who's popularity is concentrated in Japan. There's Arle, Sakura, Estelle, etc. Probably a lot more that I'm missing.

zriL

Smash Journeyman
I mean, yeah. Reimu's not the only one who's popularity is concentrated in Japan. There's Arle, Sakura, Estelle, etc. Probably a lot more that I'm missing.
What I meant, it's pretty common that something exists in a region and is unknown everywhere else, it happens everywhere. But when is something becomes Naruto-tier, such concentration becomes much more rare, the only real comparison would be things like Doraemon or Sazae-san, if you don't know them, it proves my point, because they are actually universally known in Japan, as old anime series, even more than Dragon Ball or Naruto. Whereas your example aren't even that popular in Japan, relatively, they are really not comparable to Touhou. Maybe Puyo Puyo could be, as a game series. But besides, Touhou is really not just a game, while Puyo Puyo doesn't really exist outside of the gaming sphere, Touhou is very present in art, music and gaming communities.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
There we go. 106 songs, 28 remixes, and multiple songs from prominent cover artists and fangames.

I regret absolutely nothing.

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
There we go. 106 songs, 28 remixes, and multiple songs from prominent cover artists and fangames.

I regret absolutely nothing.
Well done! That's a great selection. The funny thing is despite being 100+ songs there'd be people who feel some are missing.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Every time I took a break from the Twitter, something happened for Reimu in speculation. Now that I quit running it, it's finally time. This was all planned, this was my grand strategy.
So you were the one behind the Reimu For Smash Twitter, were you? I remember stumbling upon that when I was beginning to get into the series. Funny how something only months ago can be nostalgic...

In other news, my SSBU X Touhou page is, coincidentally, pretty much done the day before the new reveal. It's all lining up...

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Every time I took a break from the Twitter, something happened for Reimu in speculation. Now that I quit running it, it's finally time. This was all planned, this was my grand strategy.
You could say that all went according to Keiki.

*Keiki means cake

*cake means keikaku

*keikaku means plan

zriL

Smash Journeyman
By the way, it is currently Touhou's 25th anniversary, though I don't know exactly which day it is. Even if Nintendo doesn't seem to care about anniversaries, in the end, this period would fit pretty well to announce Reimu.

zriL

Smash Journeyman
Lol, Sakurai twitted that we should watch the presentation just like a "festival".

Do you think "festival" means something here ?

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
We gonna get a setting scene of a shinto-shrine in the forest and a glimpse of a red hakkama only to have the true shrine maiden reveal herself as the new character, as a duo together with her best friend.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
I had no idea a fake screenshot of the trailer dropped. Whatever.

So will reimu defy the common assumptions and get added? We shall see in just over 15 minutes

Top Bottom