Reimu is a shrine maiden tasked with watching over the ancestral Hakurei Shrine, located in the hidden world of Gensokyo. While her job is supposedly exterminating troublesome youkai and protecting the humans, she actually acts as a meditator between the two. With the spell card system she set in place, the two populations are equalized, and able to fight each other without bloodshed in the form of "danmaku" (That is, bullet hell) patterns, often set to some of the best video game OSTs there are.
Since Aftermath is helmed by a different director, Reimu's moveset heavily differs from her incarnation in the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X Touhou Project
Challenger Pack, albeit with some shared elements. For context, I was trying to differentiate Reimu from the DLC pack I made for the sake of the moveset contest, since it's going in someone else's game
Drawing much more from the mainline shoot-em-up games rather than the fighters, this incarnation of Reimu is among the most projectile-heavy fighters in Smash. Boasting high speed and unparalleled aerial mobility in exchange for being the lightest character in the game, Reimu is built around stage control and not letting opponents land a single hit on her.
Her jab, flurry attack, down aerial, and unfocused neutral aerial make use of ofuda talismans, acting as a wave of numerous weak projectiles. Her forward smash and focused neutral aerial use the Persuasion Needles, which are slow, thin, and powerful projectiles. Her up smash is the Amulet Chain, her down smash and forward aerial make use of barriers, and her dash attack and up aerial adapt the Ascension Kick from Highly Responsive to Prayers
and the fighting games. Her only melee moves are her forward tilt, up tilt, down tilt, dash attack, up aerial, and back aerial; Even less than Mega Man.
- Grazing:If Reimu is standing, crouching, or walking, projectiles will simply pass through her. This acts very similarly to the passive shields wielded by the Links and Hero.
- Focusing: Shielding in the air will cause Reimu to hover in the air instead of dodging, with the same anti-projectile effect. Reimu can be moved somewhat in this state; To air dodge, the control stick must be inputted twice, much like with a dash. While focused, Reimu's neutral aerial will change from ofuda talismans to Persuasion Needles
- Aerial Smash Attacks: Much like Min Min and Robin, Reimu's aerials can be inputted as smash attacks.
- Neutral Special - Hakurei Amulet: Reimu throws out a homing talisman, which moves slowly and deals low damage. Holding the button charges the attack, boosting the amulet's speed, power, and homing properties. Using the attack while Focusing automatically charges it.
- Side Special - Youkai Buster: Reimu throws out a trio of purple talismans. After being thrown, the talismans begin to spread out slightly. Fast and weak, this attack is a good spacing tool.
- Up Special - Float: Reimu rises into the air. In this state, projectiles will pass through Reimu like she was Grazing. Reimu's path can be angled somewhat, and the attack doesn't send her into freefall, much like R.O.B.'s up special.
- Down Special - Yin-Yang Orb:Reimu places down a Yin-Yang Orb, which acts as a turret, periodically shooting amulets at the opponent. It will also mimic Reimu's attacks, shooting amulets in the inputted direction for tilts and replicating Reimu's smash attacks. These attacks remain the same for each input, regardless of if Reimu is on the ground or in the air. After a short amount of time, the Yin-Yang Orb will fade Reimu can have three Yin-Yang Orbs active at a time.
- Options: Performing Reimu's down special while she is close to a yin-Yang Orb causes it to float behind her, trading stage control for a boost in power. When used as an Option, the Ying-Yang Orb will fade faster than if it is simply placed on the ground. Reimu can have only one Yin-Yang Orb as an Option at a time.
- Projectile: Attacking a Yin-Yang Orb with Reimu's tilts or dash attack will send it flying forward as a damaging projectile. After being used as a projectile, the Yin-Yang Orb will fade instantly.
- Final Smash - Danmaku Festival: Reimu summons various allies to her aid: The witch Marisa Kirisame, the maid Sakuya Izayoi, the half-phantom Youmu Konpaku, and the wind priest Sanae Kochiya. As her allies appear, Reimu floats into the air, and the five unleash a barrage of danmaku upon the stage. While in theory the bullets can be dodged, this requires almost superhuman reflexes and precision, and you will most likely get swarmed by the bullets. Notably, the danmaku patterns used are lifted from the Bombs and boss fights in the mainline Touhou games.