• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
One of the co-founders of Minecraft just said that they've been trying to get Steve in Smash for at least 5 years since 2014. This is interesting because September 15th 2014 was when it was announced that Microsoft acquired Mojang.

It's been around a year since ZUN mentioned in the infamous interview about wanting Reimu in Smash. Of course, this doesn't give us too much to go off of on how long Reimu has been in discussion.

Though, I believe that if Reimu was brought up to the Smash team that discussions wouldn't take as long as Minecraft Steve, since.
1) Microsoft is a big company so decisions in general are slower. Plus, they know the reputation that Minecraft has, so I imagine they'd be very particular about the moveset.
2) Steve's design is drastically different compared to the rest of the Smash cast. In gameplay as well, as Sakurai stated, he needed a lot of advanced mechanics designed exclusively for him.
3) Reimu is more of her own character with her own moveset who literally appears in fighting games.

Also, at the end of the Byleth direct where Sakurai announced Fighter Pass 2, 35:08 timestamp, he stated that "1 or 2 extra fighters might suffice". In terms of numbered characters in the fighter's pass, we have reached that point. However, these "1 or 2 extra fighters" might not be Min Min and Steve. Steve seems guaranteed based on the above information in my post, since he was in the works for so long, but who was the other guaranteed character? Do you think ZUN and Nintendo have been working recently around the same timeframe as the above interview? Or do you think that ZUN has had this in the works for a long time?
Yeah, Reimu's issue has never been being difficult to include from a mechanical standpoint; she'd be a far easier add than any character who's not directly from a fighting game and has tons of unique moveset potential. It's entirely a question of whether Nintendo views Touhou as popular enough to add her, nothing more.

Troykv

Smash Master
Hello! It had been a while since the last time I appear here xD

I'm right now wondering what to expect from the future of FP2, the start of the Pass has been quite curious, with an iconic character and a promotional character leading the bunch.

Exiliify

Smash Apprentice
Hello! It had been a while since the last time I appear here xD

I'm right now wondering what to expect from the future of FP2, the start of the Pass has been quite curious, with an iconic character and a promotional character leading the bunch.
There is reason to believe that they might be sticking with characters that were considered for base game as a fighter. ARMS was confirmed to be considered for base game but character planning ended before ARMS was announced. Steve was confirmed to be negotiated are at least 5 years for his inclusion in smash. At the moment, I am expecting Rex to appear since he was considered for a fighter spot but was made a costume right before release cause time constraints. Based on Verge has said, Koei rep might happen and if the rumors are true, Reimu as well.

Troykv

Smash Master
There is reason to believe that they might be sticking with characters that were considered for base game as a fighter. ARMS was confirmed to be considered for base game but character planning ended before ARMS was announced. Steve was confirmed to be negotiated are at least 5 years for his inclusion in smash. At the moment, I am expecting Rex to appear since he was considered for a fighter spot but was made a costume right before release cause time constraints. Based on Verge has said, Koei rep might happen and if the rumors are true, Reimu as well.
These are quite exciting news :D I'm intrigued of what they would do with Rex, and I would love to see Ryu and Reimu in the game :D

Narp

Smash Cadet
Surprised Steve is releasing this soon after the announcement. About the same wait as Byleth, maybe? Man, the times between announcement and release have been all over the place, anywhere from 12 days to 4 months.

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
Surprised Steve is releasing this soon after the announcement. About the same wait as Byleth, maybe? Man, the times between announcement and release have been all over the place, anywhere from 12 days to 4 months.
Yes, ever since Byleth, it seems they've preferred to reveal the character when the actual release is imminent. At least barring Min Min, that told the series months beforehand. I dunno if they'll keep it up this way, but it seems possible since some other announcements have also been done close to their release.

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
The remainder of the pass can go a lot of ways. Everyone has their own ideas and theories and most of them are very valid and understandable of course.
As of right now what I'm thinking of would probably be Ryu Hayabusa, Lloyd Irwing, [???], and Geno.
I am rather confident in these three characters, Ryu and Geno the most. But the 4th one?
Ever since the Kunio Kun spirits I was thinking of Sol Badguy actually.
And my other thoughts would be Dante or Crash Bandicoot. Personal wish would be Phoenix Wright or Reimu Hakurei which would be pretty sweet.

All that I know is it sure is gonna take a hecking long time till we get any more news until then.
Lets hope for the best for something exciting to happen, but until then: Smash is preparing, please wait warmly.~

7NATOR

Smash Master
So I was thinking about the Hakurei Shrine Trademark

When it comes to be granted ownership of a Trademark, don't you need proof that it's actually being used for something? I believe you can't just trademark something like that with just nothing

If so, I think it could be a Smoking Gun for Reimu in Smash as Playable. I believe a user said it could have been for the mobile game, but it also seems like that wasn't the case, and I don't believe there's any Touhou game that would require a Trademark like that if it wasn't needed before

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Think I forgot to tell you this, but I finally finished this a couple days ago. Woohoo!

And of course, only a couple days later, I whipped up an entirely new moveset for Reimu, because apparently I can't be satisfied with this one.

For context, it was a moveset contest and I didn't want to directly lift from the page. That, coupled with Steve's loyalty to the base game, made me wonder if Reimu might be a bit more projectile-heavy than we thought. Maybe a mobile jab like Mega Man, or at the very least a couple more projectile normals. I made a rough outline for a more projectile-heavy Reimu for the contest, though I'll probably have to polish it a bit more. Maybe bring back a few elements from my previous moveset, since I don't have to worry about differentiation.

Reimu is a shrine maiden tasked with watching over the ancestral Hakurei Shrine, located in the hidden world of Gensokyo. While her job is supposedly exterminating troublesome youkai and protecting the humans, she actually acts as a meditator between the two. With the spell card system she set in place, the two populations are equalized, and able to fight each other without bloodshed in the form of "danmaku" (That is, bullet hell) patterns, often set to some of the best video game OSTs there are.

Since Aftermath is helmed by a different director, Reimu's moveset heavily differs from her incarnation in the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X Touhou Project Challenger Pack, albeit with some shared elements. For context, I was trying to differentiate Reimu from the DLC pack I made for the sake of the moveset contest, since it's going in someone else's game Drawing much more from the mainline shoot-em-up games rather than the fighters, this incarnation of Reimu is among the most projectile-heavy fighters in Smash. Boasting high speed and unparalleled aerial mobility in exchange for being the lightest character in the game, Reimu is built around stage control and not letting opponents land a single hit on her.

Her jab, flurry attack, down aerial, and unfocused neutral aerial make use of ofuda talismans, acting as a wave of numerous weak projectiles. Her forward smash and focused neutral aerial use the Persuasion Needles, which are slow, thin, and powerful projectiles. Her up smash is the Amulet Chain, her down smash and forward aerial make use of barriers, and her dash attack and up aerial adapt the Ascension Kick from Highly Responsive to Prayers and the fighting games. Her only melee moves are her forward tilt, up tilt, down tilt, dash attack, up aerial, and back aerial; Even less than Mega Man.

Fighter Abilities

• Grazing:If Reimu is standing, crouching, or walking, projectiles will simply pass through her. This acts very similarly to the passive shields wielded by the Links and Hero.
    • Focusing: Shielding in the air will cause Reimu to hover in the air instead of dodging, with the same anti-projectile effect. Reimu can be moved somewhat in this state; To air dodge, the control stick must be inputted twice, much like with a dash. While focused, Reimu's neutral aerial will change from ofuda talismans to Persuasion Needles
  • Aerial Smash Attacks: Much like Min Min and Robin, Reimu's aerials can be inputted as smash attacks.
Specials:

• Neutral Special - Hakurei Amulet: Reimu throws out a homing talisman, which moves slowly and deals low damage. Holding the button charges the attack, boosting the amulet's speed, power, and homing properties. Using the attack while Focusing automatically charges it.
  • Side Special - Youkai Buster: Reimu throws out a trio of purple talismans. After being thrown, the talismans begin to spread out slightly. Fast and weak, this attack is a good spacing tool.
  • Up Special - Float: Reimu rises into the air. In this state, projectiles will pass through Reimu like she was Grazing. Reimu's path can be angled somewhat, and the attack doesn't send her into freefall, much like R.O.B.'s up special.
  • Down Special - Yin-Yang Orb:Reimu places down a Yin-Yang Orb, which acts as a turret, periodically shooting amulets at the opponent. It will also mimic Reimu's attacks, shooting amulets in the inputted direction for tilts and replicating Reimu's smash attacks. These attacks remain the same for each input, regardless of if Reimu is on the ground or in the air. After a short amount of time, the Yin-Yang Orb will fade Reimu can have three Yin-Yang Orbs active at a time.
    • Options: Performing Reimu's down special while she is close to a yin-Yang Orb causes it to float behind her, trading stage control for a boost in power. When used as an Option, the Ying-Yang Orb will fade faster than if it is simply placed on the ground. Reimu can have only one Yin-Yang Orb as an Option at a time.
    • Projectile: Attacking a Yin-Yang Orb with Reimu's tilts or dash attack will send it flying forward as a damaging projectile. After being used as a projectile, the Yin-Yang Orb will fade instantly.
  • Final Smash - Danmaku Festival: Reimu summons various allies to her aid: The witch Marisa Kirisame, the maid Sakuya Izayoi, the half-phantom Youmu Konpaku, and the wind priest Sanae Kochiya. As her allies appear, Reimu floats into the air, and the five unleash a barrage of danmaku upon the stage. While in theory the bullets can be dodged, this requires almost superhuman reflexes and precision, and you will most likely get swarmed by the bullets. Notably, the danmaku patterns used are lifted from the Bombs and boss fights in the mainline Touhou games.

Arcane Jill

Smash Apprentice
Couple of questions I've been pondering:
1: If Reimu gets in and Covid is on the downturn by then, do you guys think ZUN will make a guest appearence at the Sakurai Presents?
2: How likely is it that one of her songs will be a brand new Touhou composition by ZUN that's exclusive to Smash to celebrate the occasion?

Rikarte

Smash Ace
1: If Reimu gets in and Covid is on the downturn by then, do you guys think ZUN will make a guest appearence at the Sakurai Presents?
2: How likely is it that one of her songs will be a brand new Touhou composition by ZUN that's exclusive to Smash to celebrate the occasion?
1: Would be cool but I don't think there is much of a point to this. Sakurai can explain everything about Touhou + the character by himself.
2: ZUN would probably do the arrange for one of the songs similar to how Toby Fox did it but I don't think he'd do a full on original composition.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
1: Would be cool but I don't think there is much of a point to this. Sakurai can explain everything about Touhou + the character by himself.
2: ZUN would probably do the arrange for one of the songs similar to how Toby Fox did it but I don't think he'd do a full on original composition.
If Reimu does make it in as DLC, in Smash 6, Reimu should remain playable, but still promote Bomberman and Shovel Knight to playable. Furthermore, if it does happen, will Reimu ever be unplayable again? I hope not.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
The solution to COVID is simple:

ZUN Call

Last edited:

Exiliify

Smash Apprentice
If Reimu does make it in as DLC, in Smash 6, Reimu should remain playable, but still promote Bomberman and Shovel Knight to playable. Furthermore, if it does happen, will Reimu ever be unplayable again? I hope not.
Reimu is definitely a fighter that will likely return in future titles. It is much easier to get her than most characters owned by big name 3rd party companies.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
If Zun does make an "original" composition, then it would likely just be a Smash rendition of Theme of Eastern Story

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Reimu is definitely a fighter that will likely return in future titles. It is much easier to get her than most characters owned by big name 3rd party companies.
I already know that Reimu would be easy to get.

Last edited:

Narp

Smash Cadet
Sponsor X now also opened up a Touhou information page about Touhous history. https://touhou-x.jp/
The history page with all official games and notable fan works on the side is mega cool. Even mentions many of my favorite fan games.
Yes, ever since Byleth, it seems they've preferred to reveal the character when the actual release is imminent. At least barring Min Min, that told the series months beforehand. I dunno if they'll keep it up this way, but it seems possible since some other announcements have also been done close to their release.
That's right, the proper Min Min reveal was just a week before release. So that's both season 2 characters technically releasing in under two weeks, if we disregard the vague ARMS reveal months before. I can excuse the long wait after the initial fighters pass 2 announcement however, I see it as a sort of transitional period between seasons.

I hope they keep up this trend.

Last edited:

Arcane Jill

Smash Apprentice
Given the occasion, do you think some of the older Windows era games will get remasters/console ports? Not sure if the PC-98 games have a chance of this happening, but it would be cool as well, even if they would have to create a new character to replace Ellen.
View attachment 288776
so uh apparently 10 million videos with yukkuri have been uploaded
neat
also what
Didn't think the little manju heads were that popular holy crap lol.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Given the occasion, do you think some of the older Windows era games will get remasters/console ports? Not sure if the PC-98 games have a chance of this happening, but it would be cool as well, even if they would have to create a new character to replace Ellen.

Didn't think the little manju heads were that popular holy crap lol.
A Touhou remaster collection featuring the games from EoSD-IN would be the dream. This would have to be done by a different studio though because I doubt ZUN would want to remake his work from almost 20 years ago. Don't think this is a very likely scenario but GOD, can you imagine the classic Windows games with updated visuals and music + online leaderboards, public replays and official translations all available on your Nintendo Switch for a reasonable price? You have no idea how much I want this.

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
And now theres a Touhou News Site called Touhou Yomoyama News https://touhou-project.news/
ZUN is the Chairman of this site and it is maintained and managed by the, well, Touhou Yomoyama Committee.
ZUN will also announce official news there too. You can tell by the red border if its official news. Orange border for ZUNs posts.
And everything else is of course, derivative doujin fanwork stuff.

Also theres been a third mobile fangame announced called Touhou Dungeon Dive.
https://www.touhou-dd.com/

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
And now theres a Touhou News Site called Touhou Yomoyama News https://touhou-project.news/
ZUN is the Chairman of this site and it is maintained and managed by the, well, Touhou Yomoyama Committee.
ZUN will also announce official news there too. You can tell by the red border if its official news. Orange border for ZUNs posts.
And everything else is of course, derivative doujin fanwork stuff.

Also theres been a third mobile fangame announced called Touhou Dungeon Dive.
https://www.touhou-dd.com/
Huh, neato!

Soulor

Smash Cadet
Well that was a hoot, also deja vu. Zun putting those refreshments away lol.

Finally, more talk about Luna Nights for Switch.

Of the Yukkuri YouTubers I had a feeling they'd mention this one in particular, rather briefly but that's fine. They're basically the #1 Yukkuri channel.

Cool their getting another mobile game, a rhythm game at that.

ERIN! ERIN!

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Seeing as the stream was like four to five hours before I usually get up... Yeah. What was the important parts? I heard something about Luna Nights Switch, at least.

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
Is that an official Touhou game?
Just a general rule to make it easy to understand "If its not from ZUN, its not official."

Seeing as the stream was like four to five hours before I usually get up... Yeah. What was the important parts? I heard something about Luna Nights Switch, at least.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
You missed a Yukkuri being shown on the big screen of a baseball stadium

Top Bottom