• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Honestly, I don't blame people who have this fear of their series reaching out to the wrong audience. I see this kind of comment all the time from fellow Touhou fans on youtube. However, this is kinda bordering on the line of superstition. I say kinda because...come on. As someone already said, this type of thing happens regardless of WHO gets in. I've seen it time and time again. It's just inevitable. And even then, is Reimu going to face the worst of it? I highly doubt it. Which is why I'm still in full support of her inclusion.
For what it's worth, a bunch of people were unaware that SNK even existed, even within specialty game stores, before Terry got announced.

But hey, bad publicity is better than no publicity at all. All that haters end up doing is the following:
Hater: I hate thing!
Casual onlooker: Wonder what they're yammering about, oh hey, that looks neat.
In the meantime, it's kind of neat that Touhou is getting a Bust-A-Move spin-off from Taito, I guess.

There's an easy solution to this.
Just reveal a Fire Emblem character along with Reimu :4pacman:
expecting a character from a Fire Emblem game that has yet to even exist, let alone be announced
I know that you joke, but I honestly think that quota has been met already for the DLC this time.

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
For what it's worth, a bunch of people were unaware that SNK even existed, even within specialty game stores, before Terry got announced.

But hey, bad publicity is better than no publicity at all. All that haters end up doing is the following:
From what I've seen, those people who were sorta cold towards him have already warmed up to him pretty shortly after. It could have been longer though.

In the meantime, it's kind of neat that Touhou is getting a Bust-A-Move spin-off from Taito, I guess.
I know, right?! Took them long enough. Back when Touhou was still in its infancy, ZUN himself was making refrences to Taito's games (He would end up working for them after these games, and quitting in 2007). Now that they made a "fangame" of his works, it just feels like it came full circle.

MaddaD

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Speaking as one of those people who memes and has a good bit of fun at another character's fans being disappointed, half of it is just what it is: jokes and memes. There are people who take that line too far, depending on your worldview, but getting upset over either of these facts isn't worth the mental energy in itself to be upset at. It's why I kind of wish they'd go back to more vague reveals or removed them entirely, so that every new game you would just be surprised who got in ala Melee and 64, but it would never happen today.

When you're down at out, remember that at least you're not a genofan.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'd like to request we not mock fans of other characters who didn't get what they wanted. I don't think any of us would want a scenario where Reimu gets Mii'd or Spirited or deconfirmed in any other way and we get roundly mocked, so we probably shouldn't act that way towards other. Unless, of course, we want create the impression of the smug Reimufan who acts all superior and spits on supporters of other characters.

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to request we not mock fans of other characters who didn't get what they wanted. I don't think any of us would want a scenario where Reimu gets Mii'd or Spirited or deconfirmed in any other way and we get roundly mocked, so we probably shouldn't act that way towards other. Unless, of course, we want create the impression of the smug Reimufan who acts all superior and spits on supporters of other characters.

Ah, I'm sorry, I thought we were just having fun. I didn't mean what I said. It was just a joke. I guess you're right.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So, here's a thought:

If we go by ZUN's logic, if Reimu got in Smash (somehow), would he treat her inclusion as just part of a Touhou fanfic? Seeing as Sak reinterprets some of the fighters' personalities anyway.
Granted, Touhou's storytelling means Reimu's personality is inconsistent anyways. One moment, she's offering a helpless little fairy some shelter from the storm. The next, she's killing a man-turned-youkai for the planned crime of vibing in isolation.

Regarding ZUN's opinions, I'd imagine he'd treat it like the crossover appearances in stuff like Seihou... Actually, how does he view Seihou? Touhou in Smash would be a truly massive event, but I also doubt it'd be canon, either. I think it'd occupy a sort of in-between for spinoffs and fangames.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Granted, Touhou's storytelling means Reimu's personality is inconsistent anyways. One moment, she's offering a helpless little fairy some shelter from the storm. The next, she's killing a man-turned-youkai for the planned crime of vibing in isolation.

Regarding ZUN's opinions, I'd imagine he'd treat it like the crossover appearances in stuff like Seihou... Actually, how does he view Seihou? Touhou in Smash would be a truly massive event, but I also doubt it'd be canon, either. I think it'd occupy a sort of in-between for spinoffs and fangames.
Honestly with this in mind, I'd imagine ZUN could collaborate with Sakurai to make a non-canon spin-off manga series or something.

I would imagine the first part of the storyline is what basically amounts to Reimu laying siege on the world of Smash Bros due to Master Hand or some force causing an incident involving Gensokyo gaining a connection to Smash Bros or something. Another part would be the roster discovering Gensokyo on their own, like Simon trying to storm the Scarlet Devil Mansion, Ryu training under Byakuren, Steve & Alex stacking stones with Eika, etc.

So it would follow the same structure as Wild and Horned Hermit and Forbidden Scrollery in the sense that there are multiple storylines in the series.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Honestly with this in mind, I'd imagine ZUN could collaborate with Sakurai to make a non-canon spin-off manga series or something.

I would imagine the first part of the storyline is what basically amounts to Reimu laying siege on the world of Smash Bros due to Master Hand or some force causing an incident involving Gensokyo gaining a connection to Smash Bros or something. Another part would be the roster discovering Gensokyo on their own, like Simon trying to storm the Scarlet Devil Mansion, Ryu training under Byakuren, Steve & Alex stacking stones with Eika, etc.

So it would follow the same structure as Wild and Horned Hermit and Forbidden Scrollery in the sense that there are multiple storylines in the series.
I'm not sure it's as simple as just "Sakurai and ZUN walk into a bar." I'd imagine he'd have to go to Nintendo to do anything with the Smash brand outside of the game itself, and Nintendo would have to do a lot of negotiation with all the third-parties, because I doubt spin-off manga were included in the initial deals that got them in SSBU. Even then, ZUN and Nintendo have pretty thin connections as it is. Even if ZUN would be easy to work with, I'm not sure if Nintendo's willing to go through such a big undertaking with him, nor do I think they'd give Touhou such special treatment when they hadn't done much more than celebratory artwork for a select few fighters.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Yo, I just thought of something.

Do you know how in Piranha Plant's trailer (1:01-1:03), it showed PP having Zamasu-style flight? I know some stuff gets cut before release (Like Piranha Plant's third jump) and a lot of the stuff used for a character trailer is for spectacle and to show off the moveset, but don't you find it kind of...strange...that they'd blatantly show something of this magnitude only to scrap it without so much as a data pack to its name? I mean, this looks like something that would fit Reimu to a T, in spite of this being just me stretching farther than Min Min's ARMS. I'm just kinda weirded out that something like this isn't talked about more.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Yo, I just thought of something.

Do you know how in Piranha Plant's trailer (1:01-1:03), it showed PP having Zamasu-style flight? I know some stuff gets cut before release (Like Piranha Plant's third jump) and a lot of the stuff used for a character trailer is for spectacle and to show off the moveset, but don't you find it kind of...strange...that they'd blatantly show something of this magnitude only to scrap it without so much as a data pack to its name? I mean, this looks like something that would fit Reimu to a T, in spite of this being just me stretching farther than Min Min's ARMS. I'm just kinda weirded out that something like this isn't talked about more.
Trailers just generally tend to show off a fighter's capabilities. The flight was Piranha Plant's up special, and is distinct as a result, so of course it'd get shown off. Sakurai probably felt it was too overpowered, and decreased the amount of control you had over the Plant's movement. PP was revealed a good three months before release, and was probably recorded even before that. I'd imagine there was a lot of time between them for Sakurai to make some adjustments.

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
Guys... I think this raised her chances in actually getting in as a fighter! Think about it, Team Shanghai Alice now officially has some affiliation with Nintendo! People were almost doubting her chances because of this.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Guys... I think this raised her chances in actually getting in as a fighter! Think about it, Team Shanghai Alice now officially has some affiliation with Nintendo! People were almost doubting her chances because of this.
Nintendo's sold a Touhou arrange album at Reitaisai in 2015, so the connection was there for awhile.

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo's sold a Touhou arrange album at Reitaisai in 2015, so the connection was there for awhile.
I was refering to them releasing official games onto their platforms because, as far as I'm aware, they haven't put any official mainline or spin-off games on any of their consoles. Just fan-games. Feel free to correct me, though

Lyncario

Smash Ace
For what it's worth, ZUN could simply do like other devs did and name-drop Smash (subtly or otherwise) in a future Touhou installment, as far as I know there's no negotiations or royalties involved to do that, at least.

I wasn't about to expect him doing a full-blown spin-off. 😓
It would get bonus point if it also references Taiko No Tatsujin at the same time.

Marisa: This reminds of that drunk dream were we danced with a pink blob and a blue penguin.

Reimu: Marisa, that wasn't a dream.

Marisa: Wait, what?

Reimu: Yeah, I saw them when I went to that big fighting club about smashing people some time ago, and they confirmed that it hapened. It was weird.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Some first impressions on the UM demo:
Difficulty is pretty high, definitely harder than HSiFS and WBaWC. I'd say around UFO tier maybe? Shot types are TERRIBLE, Reimu's needles feel even weaker than they did in DDC (which means a lot) and Sakuya's damage is abysmal too. Hoping for buffs in the full version. Card system is cool, love the customizability and can't wait to experiment more with it.
Music is alright, really like the stage 3 theme but overall nothing stuck out to me all that much. Stages themselves are solid, way better than the snorefest that was WBaWC early game. Especially the spam section on stage 3 is pretty cool. Bosses all left a pretty nice impression too, Mike's final might be a little too bull**** for stage 1 maybe and Sannyo is HARD but over all I like them.
Game gets a thumbs up from me so far!

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
It would get bonus point if it also references Taiko No Tatsujin at the same time.

Marisa: This reminds of that drunk dream were we danced with a pink blob and a blue penguin.

Reimu: Marisa, that wasn't a dream.

Marisa: Wait, what?

Reimu: Yeah, I saw them when I went to that big fighting club about smashing people some time ago, and they confirmed that it hapened. It was weird.
This just gave me a thought: what if they make Reimu's moveset generic enough to where they're able to add Marisa as an alt, going so far as to give Marisa a master-spark final smash too. Do y'all think that'd be possible? I wonder if Marisa's broomstick would cause problems.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
This just gave me a thought: what if they make Reimu's moveset generic enough to where they're able to add Marisa as an alt, going so far as to give Marisa a master-spark final smash too. Do y'all think that'd be possible? I wonder if Marisa's broomstick would cause problems.
Honestly, it's not just the broomstick: the way Marisa's danmaku works is also completely different from Reimu's. It doesn't matter how generic Reimu's moveset is, it'd be weird seeing Marisa throw Persuasion Needles or ofuda and the like.

Furthermore, I feel it's a little too soon for alternatives like a tag character now that Pyra and Mythra are in.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Touhou Echoes/alts just don't work, period. Their abilities and shots are too distinct to work with the same moveset, and their weapons would be completely different, too. At best, I could see Sanae as a semiclone, but I highly doubt we're getting two fighters in a single pack beyond a stance-switcher, and Pyra/Mythra already have that covered.

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, it's not just the broomstick: the way Marisa's danmaku works is also completely different from Reimu's. It doesn't matter how generic Reimu's moveset is, it'd be weird seeing Marisa throw Persuasion Needles or ofuda and the like.

Furthermore, I feel it's a little too soon for alternatives like a tag character now that Pyra and Mythra are in.
Touhou Echoes/alts just don't work, period. Their abilities and shots are too distinct to work with the same moveset, and their weapons would be completely different, too. At best, I could see Sanae as a semiclone, but I highly doubt we're getting two fighters in a single pack beyond a stance-switcher, and Pyra/Mythra already have that covered.
My idea was that Marisa could be a color swap like :ultsteve:, not a swap mechanic, but I had no idea how different their abilities were

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
This, Marisa is just way too different from Reimu to plausibly be a Reimu alt costume. The best chance for Marisa would be a cameo in Reimu's Final Smash, though an outside possibility of another stance-switcher does exist (very unlikely, I agree, but still possible).

Some first impressions on the UM demo:
Difficulty is pretty high, definitely harder than HSiFS and WBaWC. I'd say around UFO tier maybe? Shot types are TERRIBLE, Reimu's needles feel even weaker than they did in DDC (which means a lot) and Sakuya's damage is abysmal too. Hoping for buffs in the full version. Card system is cool, love the customizability and can't wait to experiment more with it.
Music is alright, really like the stage 3 theme but overall nothing stuck out to me all that much. Stages themselves are solid, way better than the snorefest that was WBaWC early game. Especially the spam section on stage 3 is pretty cool. Bosses all left a pretty nice impression too, Mike's final might be a little too bull**** for stage 1 maybe and Sannyo is HARD but over all I like them.
Game gets a thumbs up from me so far!
Man, that's a bummer to hear about the shot types when my least favorite thing about WBaWC was how long the TTK was for stage enemies. Gotta try the demo out, glad to hear it's fun overall!

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
This, Marisa is just way too different from Reimu to plausibly be a Reimu alt costume. The best chance for Marisa would be a cameo in Reimu's Final Smash, though an outside possibility of another stance-switcher does exist (very unlikely, I agree, but still possible).
And on the topic of a stance system, I'd be more inclined to think she'd be with Yukari over Marisa. In the three games with a partner mechanic-Imperishable Night, Subterranean Animism, and focusing on only the story mode routes, Antimony of Common Flowers-Reimu has always had Yukari as a partner. Sure, she's also had Suika, Aya, and Kasen in various games, but Yukari's the only one to be used multiple times, and has been used every time.If we're trying to stay loyal to the games, Yukari would be the main choice for a partner.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Man, that's a bummer to hear about the shot types when my least favorite thing about WBaWC was how long the TTK was for stage enemies. Gotta try the demo out, glad to hear it's fun overall!
Well, there is a card that heavily increases your damage output but the base DPS is very low for a lot of characters. It also takes forever to gain power + power loss on death is massive but that's probably gonna change in the full version.

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
Just got done watching some demos of the game! I noticed that the difficulty is a bit higher this time around. I didn't think ZUN would make another truly difficult game for a long time after he traumatized everyone with Touhou 15 more than 5 years ago, lol. He actually stated that the latest mainline game was the easiest in the entire series (I still think that title would go to 16). If I had to be honest, The music in this game, while not bad at all, is quite slow to warm up to me(though, I was a bit surprised to find out that there is a song in this game THAT IS almost ENTIRELY USES THE MAJOR SCALE! HALLELUJAH!) Until, the 3rd stage rolled around and OH MY GOD, I was so impressed with pretty much everything about it that it hyped me up again! I was already going to stick around because I wanted to see the card mechanic be utilized more. But after the 3rd stage, I am so excited to see what else this game has in store for us!

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I saw a bit myself and already I've taken a liking to the Stage 3 boss.

GOD, Sannyo is by far one of the coolest. I mean, controlling people's emotions through tobacco smoke? I dunno why, but that just comes off as funny to me. Though now it feels heartwarming because of how she uses it. And the fact she looks so much like a yakuza girl (If Yacchie wasn't one before) makes it even more fun knowing she exists! I can imagine some shenanigans going on in fan works taking place in what basically amounts to a casino. (It said gambling den, and casino was the first thing that popped up). Maybe even LostWord would add Sannyo in the gacha section of the game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom