• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I love when this thread becomes active, honestly i still can't believe that Reimu has a shot for Smash Bros, even if i started playing last year i always was surrounded with Touhou content and i didn't notice and having Reimu in Smash would be the best, i wouldn't ask for anything else ngl.
This is something I've always said about Touhou. It's one of those series that, if you've been on the internet long enough, you've been exposed to plenty of times without noticing it from memes to avatars to music, etc. I'd be pretty confident in saying that during any sort of Sakurai Presents for Reimu would have a ton of people go "Oh wait, I've heard/seen this before" at some point in it.

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
This is something I've always said about Touhou. It's one of those series that, if you've been on the internet long enough, you've been exposed to plenty of times without noticing it from memes to avatars to music, etc.
Exactly this!! Turns out that's how many people end up finding out about the series. I actually found something really interesting. In recent years, there has been a growing demographic of touhou fans in Japan of young girls in elementary to middle school ages. Turns out, this was, in large part, due to the very popular internet meme, Yukkuri, that many creators use in their youtube videos. The best equivalent to this that I can think of are those reddit videos that use the British TTS voice. I was shocked when I heard this. I thought, "Oh my god...I was part of the same demographic that they were when I was first getting into Touhou"! I thought this was real heartwarming to see.

I decided to trace back the most distant memory I had with any fan videos I might have seen. Turns out I was actually first exposed to it when I listened to bad apple for the first time, and a few other videos. And you wanna know the best part? These videos did not make me give a DAMN about Touhou. I had no idea who anyone in these videos were...and I didn't care to find out! All I cared about was that they were very entertaining. My story with it could've ended there, as I'm assuming it did with most people here in the U.S., but I was fortunate enough to find more videos like it to get super hooked into the franchise itself.

Also, ASHLEY4SMASHLEY, BABY!!!!

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
ZUN commented on the 17.5 delay
We apologize for not being able to distribute it on the day of the event.
But hey, we won’t make you wait for too long before we bring you the most destructive story development like we’ve never seen before and a nostalgic, uncanny vibe that you usually cannot experience in other Touhou works.

I wonder if this is what they say overseas when an indie game is postponed ? (What I said was not a lie.)
I took some of the Translation from here: https://twitter.com/shionnotsukai/status/1371826831507255302

SharkLord

Smash Hero

I took some of the Translation from here: https://twitter.com/shionnotsukai/status/1371826831507255302
Destructive story development
Nostalgic, uncanny vibe
So basically, the final boss is Mima with an AK-47 assault rifle. Good to know.

zriL

Smash Journeyman
Does ZUN usually hype stuff that way ? I don't remember ever seeing that.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master

This is something to archive for the next time there's info. The overseas comment is interesting, though. I don't think he's ever brought that up before when sharing info on an upcoming Touhou game. Well, we can only hope there's Touhou stuff at whenever the next Indie World is.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
This is something to archive for the next time there's info. The overseas comment is interesting, though. I don't think he's ever brought that up before when sharing info on an upcoming Touhou game. Well, we can only hope there's Touhou stuff at whenever the next Indie World is.
Whoa wait I don’t see anything about overseas in the tweet...?

MaddaD

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Remember Reimufriends, 90% of all leaks and speculation is untrue!~ Anyway fun hypothetical.

Touhou is the next IP to be allowed into Smash but the reveal is a monkey's paw. You can only take out one of these options, the rest cannot be changed:
  • The fighter who is chosen is your least favorite Touhou character.
  • Due to licensing, they only come with 2 songs alongside the included stage: U.N. Owen Was Her and Bad Apple
  • The grazing system is implemented into the character but they're forced to play with low stamina instead of a percentage (~50 HP).

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Remember Reimufriends, 90% of all leaks and speculation is untrue!~ Anyway fun hypothetical.

Touhou is the next IP to be allowed into Smash but the reveal is a monkey's paw. You can only take out one of these options, the rest cannot be changed:
  • Due to licensing, they only come with 2 songs alongside the included stage: U.N. Owen Was Her and Bad Apple
  • The grazing system is implemented into the character but they're forced to play with low stamina instead of a percentage (~50 HP).
I'll take stamina. After all, if there's one saying common to Touhou and SMash alike, it's "don't get hit".

Rikarte

Smash Ace

Dug up my 2hu sort from 2015 to see who my least favourite character was. It's Sigma... and as it turns out somebody made a Smash mod for him! https://gamebanana.com/skins/182336

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
It is ZUN's birthday.
YO GUYS!! YOU GOTTA CHECK THIS OUT!

I seriously just found out about this, minutes ago!

From what I can gather from DeepL translator, This is a picture of the disc art of the trial game. They didn't say anything about this character, but I gotta say, she looks really cute! The art is looking even better and better! I know this is awkward having to make this post like this, but this is the only I can do it, haha. I'm excited

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord

From what I can gather from DeepL translator, This is a picture of the disc art of the trial game. They didn't say anything about this character, but I gotta say, she looks really cute! The art is looking even better and better! I know this is awkward having to make this post like this, but this is the only I can do it, haha. I'm excited
She looks like a calico cat, idk if she's going to be something like a nekomata.

GolisoPower

Smash Master

This has me thinking so HARD about this character. Here's what I'm thinking so far:

Jubilant Bearer of the Great Lucky Coin: Tomiko Maneki
Ability: Capable of generating lucky coins.

The mastermind of the Secret Card Incident, Tomiko is a very laid-back yet joyful girl who's a master of bribery and blackmail. She created the Secret Cards to gain financial dominance over Gensokyo, much to the chagrin of the protagonists.

Last edited:

Chocosta

Smash Apprentice
Guys, am I the only one who is still 50/50 about wanting to have Reimu?
This subject was probably already discussed here but as much as I'd love to have Reimu playable in the game since she's my current most wanted, I'm very worried that if she's in, the fanbase is doomed. Since Touhou would gain popularity with the series being in Smash, it would obviously bring new people... except that it would bring cancer as well... I don't want to imagine all the ****heads acting like assholes, the tumblr rejects getting offended over memes/jokes/fanarts or even people who will just trash on the series "pEdO-bAiT lol xDDD" and its fans and will cancel people who like the series and label them as lolicons as well as tanned Cirno for being... tanned.
If we get all this **** in exchange of Reimu in smash, then I'm probably going to cause controversy for saying this here but I don't want to have her in the game ever, I can totally survive if she's not announced. This world felt so low that it comes to the point where something is good as long as it's not popular and mainstream

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
This subject was probably already discussed here but as much as I'd love to have Reimu playable in the game since she's my current most wanted, I'm very worried that if she's in, the fanbase is doomed. Since Touhou would gain popularity with the series being in Smash, it would obviously bring new people... except that it would bring cancer as well... I don't want to imagine all the ****heads acting like assholes, the tumblr rejects getting offended over memes/jokes/fanarts or even people who will just trash on the series "pEdO-bAiT lol xDDD" and its fans and will cancel people who like the series and label them as lolicons as well as tanned Cirno for being... tanned.
If we get all this **** in exchange of Reimu in smash, then I'm probably going to cause controversy for saying this here but I don't want to have her in the game ever, I can totally survive if she's not announced. This world felt so low that it comes to the point where something is good as long as it's not popular and mainstream
Idk, I don’t think it’d make much of a difference seeing as how I see the exact thing you’re describing in other corners of the internet cough Twitter cough

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Just stay off of Twitter. Leave them be, and they can't hurt you.

zriL

Smash Journeyman
Your worries are perfectly understandable but think about it this way : if anything mainstream is able to represent Touhou in a good light, it's Smash. Everything you said would probably happen if Touhou got an official anime by a big publisher, unless maybe if ZUN is heavily involved. That's why I've always liked ZUN's stance about not associating with big editors and not trying to go mainstream. That said, Smash is probably the best way for Touhou to go mainstream, firstly because it's actually a video game, and secondly because Sakurai has always went out of his way to represent characters as faithfully as possible. In the end, I think it might even improve Touhou's reputation, because let's face it, everything you stated that you fear, it's already what many people think about Touhou, and I don't think Smash would make it worse, it's probably the opposite.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
There are just some people who want to see the world burn, man.

Besides, these kinds of people are the ones who'll find any valid reason to trash a character and their franchise. For example, Hero was trashed for being "anime swordsman garbage", Banjo was hated for being in "only because of whiny boomers", Min Min because "dead game lol", Steve because they consider Minecraft "cringe baby game", Pyra and Mythra for being "sexist" in spite of the censors, and do not even get me started on Byleth. Any hate Reimu gets will be just part of the usual song and dance, and will most likely be overshadowed by the overwhelming positivity everywhere else.

At the end of the day, let 'em be mad if they're mad. Sticks and stones will break our bones, but words will never hurt us. They can't do anything about it except shriek in rage about it. It's not like they'll storm Nintendo HQ or anything.

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, nothing will really change. Like with any character, there will be hate for a week but they'll forget about it. We will get a lot of cool art though, I always look forward to that.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Those are understandable concerns, since pretty much everything that gets mainstream gets "ruined". But all what I can say about it is that the internet is full of terrible people, so the best thing to do is to not care about them and just enjoy yourself. Twitter will complain and trolls will be trolls, but that's just how things go.

Chocosta

Smash Apprentice
Actually, I'm expecting people to be salty about Reimu just like with all the other characters and because they don't have any life, they will try to find any reason why Touhou and its fans are bad, why it's not deserving a representation and why it should be canceled. The biggest concern right now is how the fandom is going to be ruined. Look at the Persona fandom after the inclusion of Joker and tell me that you're not worried about the fandom getting ruined by all the toxic smash player newbies. They will come and act like they knew Touhou was a thing and then, they will kill everyone's fun by being cancer, getting triggered by some stuff and they will act like Touhou is the best game ever and if you don't like it, you are a ****** and it will run Touhou's reputation into the GROUND.
The best solution is just to ban twitter, I don't even use it. The problem is that twitter is too popular so it's as if twitter is the most important thing ever while it's just a digusting ****ty social media.
I still don't think that Smash will represent Touhou in a good light at all. I think that any niche series getting mainstream is going to get ruined, if it's something already big like Final Fantasy, it's fine though. That's why I prefer for Touhou to stay thousands of kilometers away from Smash and other huge popular things in order to save its reputation and fun.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
If we're turning away options because there's going to be some bad apples (heheh) involved... Yeah, we can't do anything. There's always going to be some loudmouth jerks ruining the fun; Heck, Smash itself has that issue already. It's better to focus on the good people and ignore the bad the best we can. If the newbie boom brings in an influx of nasty people into the fandom, we just publicly disown them from the Touhou community and avoid the toxicity magnet sites like Twitter. Don't let the mere possibility of some jerks drag you down.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Any worry about Touhou going "too mainstream" because of Smash ignores the fact that Touhou had memes mainstream enough to get on CNN in the US around like 2010. I guess younger members of Gen Z who never really saw any of that stuff are less familiar with the franchise, but it's honestly pretty silly to worry about stuff like Reimu in Smash when Bad Apple was literally on CNN.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
If we're turning away options because there's going to be some bad apples (heheh) involved... Yeah, we can't do anything. There's always going to be some loudmouth jerks ruining the fun; Heck, Smash itself has that issue already. It's better to focus on the good people and ignore the bad the best we can. If the newbie boom brings in an influx of nasty people into the fandom, we just publicly disown them from the Touhou community and avoid the toxicity magnet sites like Twitter. Don't let the mere possibility of some jerks drag you down.
Agreed. Besides, I'm more than positive that those same bad apples will be reevaluating their life once they find out whatever they've loved throughout their life was from Touhou.

Last edited:

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
Actually, I'm expecting people to be salty about Reimu just like with all the other characters and because they don't have any life, they will try to find any reason why Touhou and its fans are bad, why it's not deserving a representation and why it should be canceled. The biggest concern right now is how the fandom is going to be ruined. Look at the Persona fandom after the inclusion of Joker and tell me that you're not worried about the fandom getting ruined by all the toxic smash player newbies. They will come and act like they knew Touhou was a thing and then, they will kill everyone's fun by being cancer, getting triggered by some stuff and they will act like Touhou is the best game ever and if you don't like it, you are a ****** and it will run Touhou's reputation into the GROUND.

It's fine. Let them be. This thread got so far for Reimu to be in Smash. No way were backing out.

Chocosta

Smash Apprentice
You know damn well that toxic people will force their way into the community anyway, you can't avoid it, they will force their way in, for the worse

Any worry about Touhou going "too mainstream" because of Smash ignores the fact that Touhou had memes mainstream enough to get on CNN in the US around like 2010. I guess younger members of Gen Z who never really saw any of that stuff are less familiar with the franchise, but it's honestly pretty silly to worry about stuff like Reimu in Smash when Bad Apple was literally on CNN.
I don't live in USA so how should I know about that ?

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, I don't blame people who have this fear of their series reaching out to the wrong audience. I see this kind of comment all the time from fellow Touhou fans on youtube. However, this is kinda bordering on the line of superstition. I say kinda because...come on. As someone already said, this type of thing happens regardless of WHO gets in. I've seen it time and time again. It's just inevitable. And even then, is Reimu going to face the worst of it? I highly doubt it. Which is why I'm still in full support of her inclusion.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
You know damn well that toxic people will force their way into the community anyway, you can't avoid it, they will force their way in, for the worse
Then what's the point of moping about it? If it's gonna happen anyway, why try to avoid the inevitable. The internet's a big place, and for better or worse, word will spread. If they'll force their way in regardless, let it happen.

Ultimately, people being overly smug about their favorite series or whining about false controversies are a minority. A loud, obnoxious minority, but a minority regardless. It's best not to let your enjoyment been bogged down by them. Just focus those you enjoy having around.

Top Bottom