• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SHOW ME YOUR NEWS! - Gaming News PODCAST (Ep. 76 OUT!, New WEBSITE and iTunes!)

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
I didn't have the time to listen to the cast today, but tomorrow I'll try my best to get it into my schedule along with some feedback.

Sariku, what eps do you have that are Wii compatible?

The Director

Smash Lord
Ugh...I can understand having a hectic week prevents you from making a fully fleshed out SMYN, but please don't do any more complete episode roundtables. It just didn't feel the same.

Change is scary!! :dizzy:

Kentalish

Smash Lord
i love that round table that was fing awsome i really enjoyed it no annoying voices panda and youko you guys are blending well together and for Colb it felt like he was at home lol

11 our of 10... ohh yea 3 person roundtable is epic

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
Nice.. 75 minute roundtable!! Looking forward to it, should make a nice study break.

And Pyro, when did you become a smash director?
Just recently. I'm going to be holding Smashfests every now and then and if the turnouts get bigger I'll be having tournaments.

What’s up guys, things…are going to be a little different this week, and I won’t lie, it’s because I’ve just had a really bad week and a very busy weekend, but I’m still trying to put something out there for you all. And while I’m at it, I’m trying to put a positive spin on things and say that this is going to be something that I’m trying to gauge your reaction for to see if you all like it, so let me know if you like the change or whatever.

It’s gonna go like this. We’re gonna dive straight into the Roundtable. I know, there…is no Rundown this week. See, writing the Rundown, believe it or not, takes me upwards of five hours or so every week. But as we were doing the Roundtable this week…I realized that we were covering everything I was going to talk about and it became so painstakingly difficult to write the Rundown without sounding redundant that…well you get the picture.

You’ve heard that the Roundtable is around 70 minutes this week, and that is very true. Afterwards I’m gonna put in the Brawl Viewpoint, this week done by Bli33ard, cuz that’s actually the most important part of the show to me, cuz that’s what YOU guys write all by yourself. And I can’t do an Easter Egg this week, I know, I know, I was going to something for the F-Zero song thread if they want me to, but I just have no time this week.

So, it’s not a copout. You still get one of the longest episodes to date. And I hope you enjoy it, but please let me know what you think. The production time for this is FAR shorter than if I write a Rundown, but I don’t want quality to suffer. And I hope you all forgive me for trying to have a life.

Regards,

-- Youko
This is what I was afraid of and predicted when Roundtable first came out. I mean, I love it and all, but I've been saying it takes away from the podcast Youko, and this kind of proves it. I hope you see what I mean, but keep doing the Roundtables.

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
If you want to see a picture of them, I think it'd be better if you added them to some sort of instant messaging. I say this because if I were Youko or Panda, I wouldn't want my face plastered all over the boards.

No offence you beauties, you.

SirPenguin

Smash Journeyman
Fantastic job yet again. You've really never had a bad episode.

Anyhow, just letting you know I'm going to feature the podcast every Sunday on my blog. Nothing special, merely linking to this topic and the blog itself, but hopefully more people will be able to experience the awesomeness that is Show Me Your News.

Keep it up, it's well worth it to the community.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
I for one perfer the less structured format, Youko. It's more interesting to hear you guys discuss the Dojo updates as a group, and have a bit of back-and-forth debate. And if this is a time saver for you, it seems like a no brainer.

RokkuManZer0

Smash Apprentice
The episode was great Youko. I don't think the lack of a rundown made the podcast worse as the roundtable got it all covered. As you pretty much said, it'd be hard to write a rundown without sounding redundant.

Also props to colbusman as he fit really well with you guys. As someone said before, it felt like he was at home. :) Real nice. I love the roundtables keep 'em long and keep 'em coming.

Thanks to SamuraiPanda for being present once again (Phoenix Wright rulez \m/) and for sharing his views with us all. Keep translating us the goodies. xD

Nice viewpoint Blizzard (spelling?!) I agree with most of your points. Some of the modes would actually be fun to see in Brawl like Juggernaut though it might turn a little chaotic. :p As for the Coin and Bonus mode... I couldn't possibly agree more. I don't even remember the last time I played Coin mode... It just sucks so much. Good job with the viewpoint. :)

Thumbs up! Another awesome episode of SMYN.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I know this may sound strange but can anyone post a picture of what Youko and SamuraiPanda look like? I just want to know where these voices are coming from. Thanks~
I look just like my avatar, but my sword is bigger.

Aryman

Smash Master
3DS FC
1934-0665-4529
This episode was too good! I didn't really miss the rundown, since you covered all the updates during the roundtable anyway. I'm guessing it would be alright to have the rundown on non-roundtable weeks,

Colbusman did an terrific job, as he had a lot to say. You three seemed to click really well and that led to a seriously awesome roundtable. Though you kinda went off tangent with the halloween costumes near the end :laugh: I loved the idea of a Todd costume!! Just being able to make sex jokes all night makes it a winning idea. My costume this year is more scary than anything, but I love the funny ones as well (but please guys, don't do "d*ck-in-a-box" costumes, that's just lame and not very original, not to mention kinda creepy).

Bli33ard's BV was top-notch, love the accent dude. The background music was a nice touch, and I agreed with pretty much everything you said about the game modes.

All in all, I give this episode two thumbs way up. Awesome.

Zan-kun

Smash Rookie
I'm mostly a lurker (as you can probably tell from my join date and post count), but I had to reply this once because I love the podcast. For some reason I've just started listening to about 10 different ones, despite not having a mp3 player, but that's besides the point.

If this podcast is an indication of what's to come, I'd say it's a good start. What irked me about this podcast at first is that it was a lone effort sprinkled in with community stuff and just recently doing the roundtable discussions. If it didn't take too much time, I would much rather have the entire podcast be the roundtable discussion. Well, not all of it, viewpoints and whatnot are all good, but what makes a podcast for me is a memorable bunch of people talking and having fun with what they know best. Maybe it's not possible as it would take too much time or whatever, but I feel it's better to have a few different people each with their own likes and dislikes so people can better identify with the podcast and community as a whole. Having one person just presents a bias that no one can really refute. I'd recommend it only if the cast can mesh well and at least have a few mainstays (obviously Youkou, and maybe SamuraiPanda)

Criticism though, you guys have great conversations and all, but everything is often preceded by "What do you think ____?". It feels forced when things can't carry on. Things just flow with other podcasts and radio shows. At least edit the bits of dead space if possible. I'm not saying you guys should be like every other podcast or whatever, but I don't think I'm the only one who gets kinda taken out of everything everytime a "What do you think" moment comes up. I understand it's sometimes hard to transition, so sometimes it fits, but it's slightly annoying hearing it so often.

Also, history lesson: Dedede looking all silly when supposedly evil is justified without any background knowledge, but let it be known that Dedede isn't all that evil to begin with. Really, he's just a self imposed king who does a few bad things, but it's really a more selfish thing. Like other softy villains, when things don't go his way he'll often turn to the good guy side (same with Robotnik/Eggman, Bowser etc) and he does things in what he thinks is the best interest for the people of Popstar. So again, he's not all that bad at all. Usually toward the end of the Kirby games one finds out that Dark Matter (I think that's his name) is really the bad guy and Dedede is the one trying to protect things and no one understands. Sorry if I seem to ramble, but it bugged me that no one understood this.

And again, I think the whole podcast should go for the roundtable approach. If it's not as stressful as writing up the script and all, it's a great alternative. Love the podcast and it would be great if the podcast could continue past the updates as a biweekly look at the smash community or something. Keep up the good work though.

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
I'm really thinking about whether I should change the format similar to this week every week, including Mailtime every week. There are several reasons why, but I have to contemplate it more.

What would you guys think if SMYN turning into Roundtable, Mailtime, and BV every week? The epitome of community involvement...

Anyway, the episode's been blogged, so it can be DLed onto iTunes now...

Aryman

Smash Master
3DS FC
1934-0665-4529
Doing Roundtable, BV and Mailtime would be great, to be sure. However, I can't help but think it would be a lot of work for you... just scheduling a third person for the roundtable seems to take a lot of planning. Would you still hold trials? It could work, but there would be a bit more planning involved.

SirPenguin

Smash Journeyman
I'm really thinking about whether I should change the format similar to this week every week, including Mailtime every week. There are several reasons why, but I have to contemplate it more.

What would you guys think if SMYN turning into Roundtable, Mailtime, and BV every week? The epitome of community involvement...

Anyway, the episode's been blogged, so it can be DLed onto iTunes now...
Well, my thinking is that if we're listening to this podcast, there's a very high chance we know every bit of news possible from the Dojo. What we really want to come here for is a discussion, or analyzation, or whatever, ABOUT the news, but not necessarily the news itself, you know? So I think this new format could both save you time and really help drive the point of the podcast home.

My 2 cents.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Nice job on the podcast this week. To answer some of your questions....

Seriously idc if you do rundown or not because, like you said, you cover it in the rundown anyways. So do whatever. Were greatful for a podcast anyways.

Also who I'm going to be for Halloween? I'm gonna be a mudkip. Mudkip > All ur costumes >=)

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I for one perfer the less structured format, Youko. It's more interesting to hear you guys discuss the Dojo updates as a group, and have a bit of back-and-forth debate. And if this is a time saver for you, it seems like a no brainer.
Agreeed, but man...that 10 minute demo Colbusman and I did took Youko and SamuraiPanda forever! :laugh:

I look just like my avatar, but my sword is bigger.
^ HAHA! That was TOO GREAT! :chuckle:

Mario mains ftw!

HEHE, us (SSB64) Mario mains should be happy...chain grabbing...I feel like I main Shiek, Falco, and Fox combined! :laugh: Man...Sonic's final smash is so boring, Fox's is amazing, but Ike's is undoubtfully the best.

-Wavedashing I LOVE, but it can go. Everything else is back, and the game is completely diffrent.

-Tiers seem much better balanced. Fox is a bit weaker (though still good), Peach is about the same, Mario is a BEAST, Pikachu is better, Bowser is better, and everyone is pretty balanced from wat I can tell (on the good videos).

-King Dedede (deh-deh-deh)...lol. SP and Youko stole my calling for him...the King. Looks crazy, but I'm not 100% on it. King Dedede is very original, and no one will do him better then Sakurai himself. He has the craziest moveset sooo far...even more so then Wario('s farting). His voice in the show...IS HORRIBLE! He's so evil, he looks cute. Discuise...lol. HAHA...Back at You is a mostrosity=a gift from evil itself (Black Shadow). He will have mutiple jumps, definitely. With King Dedede confirmed...RIDLEY IS NOW THE MOST LIKELY CHARACTER IN MY OPINION. And I did that too Youko. I was posting about it. NESS, NESS, NESS! Must return. Lucas...and Zelda...we won't hear from it much.

-Pictochat: Just kinda odd, but it's pretty neat. ZELDA? ZELDA? ZELDA!?!?!? *points at LOZ, ZII, ALTTP, LA, OOT, OoS/OoA, WW, FSA, TP, and PH*. As for Pokémon...the 3rd gen failed. The 2nd gen was the best (HA! Ya, that's right. Biggest world map, deepest game, most good gameplay). The 4th gen was pretty good, too...but the 2nd gen still pwns all. (though the 1st gen had the best Pokémon themselves) It just seems....CRAZY! The music is random...the stage is random...Sakurai is random...the whole thing is just random. RANDOM, RANDOM, AND RANDOM! That Brawl icon discovery...I've always said it was wrong. It could be the Miis symbol (AC character=Miis), it could be Mr. G&W... there could be lots of things. As for the alphebetical thing...it's based off Japanese.

I doubt the the theory. I think it will be wrong, to be honest. Hmm...intresting theory SamuraiPanda. Sakurai (aka Mr. Mindgame himself) is mindgaming us.We just grabbed a controller, and he SMACKED IT OUT OF OUR HANDS! HAHA....yes...thanks for mentioning the winner Youko. Miis have ENDLESS POSSIBILITIES...they did it with Sonic and Mario at the Olympics, so why not Brawl=??? Miis...endless possibilites. Waluigi....Bomberman...Pac-man...myself....Rocky Balboa....man. That'd be sweet! :) OMFG...that'd be insane=drawing on Pictochat. Man, that'd be insane. That'd be insane, half-impossible, but COMPLETELY AWSOME! OMFG...that would suck...now you just took the good thought off my Brawl want list SP! :laugh: This is going to be a very intresting stage. :)

-Replays: The Replay thing...is very small. They should use SD cards to record it as well. It needs to have exports...and have Youtube capability. The Wii can go online, so maybe it could take advantages of it. 10-15 minutes should have been the minimum...it's almost kinda n00b-aimed. It has as much limitations as taking pictures.

-Break the Targets: 5 stages, 5 difficulties...it couldequal 25 stages. I WILL RECORD THOSE. That'd be the best way to save the world champions. My best with Link is 11 seconds, but the world record is like 4 seconds! XD It could be 5 stages per character. I bet it's 5 stages, on 5 difficulties universally, but that's just me. Characters...man, I got to collect all those trophies again! :laugh: It was worded for mindgames, as always! :laugh: 100 man Melee...WHAT? That 15 minute Melee was crazy, and so was that Mewtwo thing! :laugh:

-Subspace Emissary: Zelda with no DOWN B....IS STUPID! As for Diddy Kong and Donkey Kong...it wasn't as good. It was good, and it had a pure Donkey Kong Country feel. Donkey Kong showed off his power, and Diddy Kong was just awsome. Also, did you know originally in DK64 they were suppose to have REAL GUNS! XD

-Mailtime from Samusrules: It seemed a lot diffrent with recovery. (Props to Samusrules for a good question) That Link thing was horrible, and so was Captain Falcon, Young Link, and Ganondorf. It actually HELPS THE GAME in my opinion. Man, that sweet spot with Fox (especially Falco) is hard, but NESS! NESS! NESS...that is hard=hardest, by far. Please if Ness returns, let that help him! :) Roy's...that is ridiculous. I L-cancel with Fox, and especially Ness *gasp* a lot! XD I think they're bringing it back to the DI...but the L-cancelling return is kinda neat.

-Halloween: SamuraiPanda...Marth McFly...Back to the Future=great (Indiana Jones is way better)! XD SOLID SNAKE! WHAT!?...my cousin was Solid Snake last year...which was neat, especially since he looks like him. (and I have a real good Solid Snake impression) LOL at Rambo. woaw, just woaw. HEHE, Youko was WILL TURNER! HAHA! That's great! Homestar Runner...I can't believe it. I'm afraid of the podcast now! :chuckle: Bullwhip in elementary school...haha! Scrubs...well...now I'm afraid. You people scare me...

The Three People thing worked. Good job, NO GREAT JOB! :)

All my friends and I always just did was Scream, and my friends went around with no costumes. My friend in 8th grade was a hobo, and asked for extra candy. B***ard got like 50 pounds of candy, while my other friend was a girl. Ya, being a guy with a scary looking hockey mask next to a man dressed as a women, and a hobo makes you feel like the normal one! :laugh:

Rating: 9.8/10

Good job with that!

-Krystal's voice actor confirmed, Sigurd as a altnerate outfit for Ike...and lol at everyone sending Nintendo a e-mail=I was one of them. Seems like Marth's chances rose from that, but he wasn't really TOO DOUBTABLE to begin with. >_<

-Bli33ard's Brawl Viewpoints: Juggernaut Mode...THAT'D ROCK! That'd be a great mode, as well as Survival Mode. Kind like Melee's but maybe with lives, and adjustaable hitpoints. 4 Character switcher...intresting. Event Matches...those could be much better, but if you fought on the bottom of the trophies, that'd be even better. Mini-games...man, that'd be great. Board the platform needs to return. Return of Bonus and Coin...should return. Coin should be diffrent. Bonus should be diffrent. Great, but short. Good job! :)

Good job...short, but good. And I love the accent. Beats my Californian accent. (I love how my SoCal accent showed up in my entry, because I haven't been in SoCal since July!) So ya, one of the best entries yet! Probably up there with Sariku's final Who's In Episode as my favorites (those his was way longer...not saying either were better/worse).

9/10

Keep all future entries at this level Bli33ard, because that was GREAT!

-Coin mode shouldn't leave...it should just be completely diffrent. Definitely should be changed. AND WE NEED MUSIC! MARIO! MARIO! MARIO!...or MOTHER Music, seeing as how nice it is!:)

Overall Rating: 9.6

One of the best weeks yet...actually, it's the week I rated the highest so far (I rated last week 1 whole point lower I think). :)

And lol at your roomates last comment! XD

-I have this very out there idea to cover maybe what you don't cover on the roundtable. It's a little far fetched, but it'd be intresting to experiment. What if two people were to do like a debate style thing (outside the roundtable, like two people other then Youko and SP, as sorta a seperate thing) the week(s) you don't do the roundtable. Youko maybe gives them something to talk about before hand (ie: Likely Characters, How Subspace Emissary will work, etc.), they say what he told them to cover, they discuss the basics, and then they really discuss/debate it. Kinda out there, but it'd be a neat thing to work out. Just thought I'd throw that idea out there. ;)

Plus, it'd be a neat way to add opinion in out there, seeing as how it would take 10,000 hours to get a 4 way roundtable working. (Seriously, that took forever just to do 10 minutes worth! :laugh:)

-As for the idea Youko, that'd be neat. And lol at mudkipz...especially the 4chans got hacked last weekend! XD I'll probably be something randomly good again this year, as well as last minute! Pray to God I don't almost get forced to be Daffy Duck (thank God I had a outfit at that time, and went as that!) XD

Hong

The Strongest
I just wanted to post to say I prefer the new format. I was definately chuckling with the three of you and nodding in agreement with your discussions. Good stuff. :p

Bli33ard

Smash Journeyman
You heard it here first, the Stage Creator is in Brawl!

I done a Brawl Viewpoint on this about a month ago (or two) and mentioned pretty much everything that Sakurai has put in to today's update.

Oh and John, thanks :)

Arrow

BRoomer
BRoomer
Nice episode. I was a little skeptical about how the Roundtable would play out with three people. Youko and Panda seemed to have a lot of natural chemistry, so I worried that trying to shoehorn someone else in the mix might just make things awkward. But it actually went really well, especially considering that Colbusman was sick (I wouldn't have been able to tell, had he not said anything).

In regards to whether this should become the standard format for every week, I'm undecided. I love the Roundtables as much as everyone else, but the traditional Rundown has a lot of advantages as well. Being scripted, it always sounds a lot more professional. It's also a lot easier for Youko to make sure he covers all the important points, while in the unscripted Roundtables, I could see certain topics getting forgotten amidst the various debates and tangents. And I'm a little surprised that you (Youko) would consider this to be easier for you. I thought that when you first started the Roundtable, the reason you wanted it to be biweekly was because it was a lot harder to schedule it with two (now three) people involved. But I think what's most important is that you do what works best for you, since you're the one actually making these things week after week. If you get burned out, the podcasts might stop altogether. So if doing weekly Roundtables takes less time than the Rundowns, it's probably best to go with that. I suppose, like you said, we're getting the same information either way. And at least this way you'll have even more opportunities for community involvement. I'm happy with whatever you decide, as long as you continue to keep me entertained until Feb. 10 ;)

Sariku

Smash Master
Whoa now, wait? Changing the whole Podcast to those sections?

No way Youko. I mean, come on. I'm one of the people who was here since the beginning, and even joined the Cast at the beginning. Taking out the Rundown and just making everything RoundTable is just a horrible move in my opinion. I love hearing what you have to say in the Rundown, you actually point out things I don't realize a lot of the time. And I know you want to cover it in the RoundTable, but it just doesn't feel the same. If you touch up on it again during the Roundtable, that's fine. But please, PLEASE, don't make the Podcast formatted like that.

But it seems like everyone wants you too, which I really don't get. Yes, the RoundTable is nice, I agree. But too much of a good thing can get alittle tiring. Truthfully, this was the worst Episode Concept you've done yet. I get you was pressed for time, and I understand that. But if you wouldn't of said "Maybe I'll change the whole Podcast to this format..." it completely ruined it for me. And you did that in the beginning. It really just left a bitter taste in my mouth from the start.

The reason why I say that is because I completely agree with Pyroloserkid. While the RoundTable is amazing, turning it into the whole Podcast is just sick. It really takes away from the feeling Youko wanted in the first episodes. RoundTable should stay BiWeekly, at least. And again, no offense to anything Youko. But having every episode "RoundTable - MailTime - Brawl Viewpoint" would just be a piece of crap for me. You said you don't want the Podcast to get boring, and you want to change things up so no one gets bored of it. You changing it like that would make me get bored of it.

But everyone supports it, so as long as ranting as this post is, it'll just get overlapped cause I'm neutral in feelings and no one else seems to really think things out. Could you guys REALLY listen to the RoundTable every week and NOT get bored of the Cast? I challenge you. Listen to this Episode, Episode 17, Five Times in a Row, at least. That's what you'd be getting every week. I couldn't stand it.

But again, it's all in Youko's plans. I understand that he is doing this as a favor, not a right. I understand you was pressed for time this week, everyone usually is every now and then. But change is good, just not the one you're thinking about making. Now don't take anything I said, or am about to say offensively Youko, please. But I'm trying to get the point across that wouldn't be a good idea.

If you're gonna do something, do it right.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
You heard it here first, the Stage Creator is in Brawl!

I done a Brawl Viewpoint on this about a month ago (or two) and mentioned pretty much everything that Sakurai has put in to today's update.

Oh and John, thanks :)

I remember that viewpoint, and when I saw this update I was impressed you nailed it! gj man :laugh:

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
While the RoundTable is amazing, turning it into the whole Podcast is just sick.

[...]

If you're gonna do something, do it right.
No, I think spending more than five hours every week on the Rundown ALONE "is just sick". Then there's recording, and editing, and posting...plus if I do happen do the Roundtable there's that too...and i'm in college! THAT is sick!

...So have these past episode not been "right?" That last statement really didn't make too much sense in the grand scheme of things.

Could you guys REALLY listen to the RoundTable every week and NOT get bored of the Cast? I challenge you. Listen to this Episode, Episode 17, Five Times in a Row, at least. That's what you'd be getting every week. I couldn't stand it.
See, regardless of what your following statement says, that just screams out that you're not grateful for the work I put in just for the community. I don't do this for myself, I do this for you guys. Plain and simple. I can go into reasons why I'm considering this, but that'd be a rant on it's own.

Your challenge? How many of you caught that I did an Elvis impression after I said "The King" the first time? The Roundtable is so long that people will probably pick up new things they didn't hear in it before the first time. Try listening to past Rundowns multiple times. If THAT doesn't become "boring" and if you still find new stuff each time, just imagine what can happen with an hour-long Roundtable.

I do appreciate your candor, though. Anyone else feel the way Sariku does? Remember that I'm still CONSIDERING this, but actually, it's more than likely going to follow through. I'm going through some rough times at the moment, and I need some more time freed up in my life, but I can't give SMYN up. It's just too awesome and I love creating it for you all.

I'll leave you with the biggest thing driving at me:

Writing the Rundown isn't fun anymore. Doing the Roundtable has all the same opinions as the Rundown and is FUN. SO FUN.

...And props to Bli33ard for spot-on calling today's amazing update...

silver777

Smash Champion
In Akaneia, blasting every castle with a pink Land
Nice as always!!

but....is the rundown really take that long to make?? wow...

about turning the whole podcast to the roundtable....I am not sure about it, though i am leaning more to "please NO".

....make it a "No-no".

the podcast is more organized , turning it into roundtable is just too chaotic...and the info we want to hear will be lost within it.
Sariku
Could you guys REALLY listen to the RoundTable every week and NOT get bored of the Cast? I challenge you. Listen to this Episode, Episode 17, Five Times in a Row, at least. That's what you'd be getting every week. I couldn't stand it.
i was about to say this too, people can listen to the episodes more than onetime and they will never get bored with it.

Sariku makes some valid points, I do agree with him about this.
I did make a comic about the roundtable here because of this very reason...I think you missed it Sariku :p
that's my opinion....at the end it is your choice Youko, make what is more comfortable to you.

Leobenmc

Smash Journeyman
Youko, I think we speak for everyone here when I say we really appreciate all you do - and personally, if the Rundown is REALLY taking that long, Drop it. If the Roundtable covers the Updates, drop the Rundown. Because, the less work in what you consider redundant sections, and the more effort that goes into your own personal choices, the more we recognise the enthusiasm.

And I LOVED this week's Podcast, it was the best one yet IMO. I like the three person set-up personally. And being at University, I don't really dress up for Halloween...I dress up for Birthdays though, once went to a lecture as Darth Vader...the lecturer looked undeterred though :(

Aryman

Smash Master
3DS FC
1934-0665-4529
I don't agree with Sariku here. The rundown was nice, but it isn't necessary. Sure, it's how the podcast started, but I think it's evolving and getting better. The rundown is of course the most scripted part of the episodes, and it shows. If it really takes you that long to come up with a part of the podcast that doesn't really add too much to the episode, then by all means take it out. You can cover all of the updates in the roundtable anyhow.

Also, about the roundtable. I think it's easily the best part of the podcast, simply because you can bounce ideas off the participants and bring in differing views on each topic you discuss. This week, for example, I could tell SamuraiPanda and Colbusman had different views on a lot of things, like the Zelda series and the new Break the Targets mode, and this led to a more lively episode.
What I propose is making the whole episode into one big roundtable, where you, Samurai and whoever else go through the different parts of the episode together. That is, you still have Mail time questions and a BV, but you also have the choice of discussing these with the other 2 people. This is only an idea, I'm thinking there would be problems with this format simply because of the time commitment required from all participants. Just throwing this idea out there.

You should give your new format a try next week, and see how the community reacts to it. If it doesn't go so well you can always go back to the current format, but I highly doubt that will be the case.

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
Am I the only person who noticed Youko didn't answer Bli33ard's question at the end? Or was I just half-asleep and hearing things? Seriously.

I guess I did forget. Maybe it was cuz I was trying to get the episode as soon as I could without delay.

I'm sure Snake's addition will attract SOME audience to Brawl, it's just like if Sora from KH was in Brawl (very unlikely at that though), there would be fans who would buy Brawl just to play as these characters. And that is the real allure of these third-party characters. Even still though, the audience attracted will probably be minimal, but hey, every little bit counts, right?

My apologies, Bli33ard, but there's your answer. And now I give you even more props for calling Stage Creator, because that's just too good to go back in time and see a SMYN idea come to life...

Bli33ard

Smash Journeyman
I'm sure Snake's addition will attract SOME audience to Brawl, it's just like if Sora from KH was in Brawl (very unlikely at that though), there would be fans who would buy Brawl just to play as these characters. And that is the real allure of these third-party characters. Even still though, the audience attracted will probably be minimal, but hey, every little bit counts, right?
Haha, thanks. I was like: Youko, you really don't have time to answer a 17-year-old's question for a podcast. Then again, that doesn't really mean anything.

Sariku, I completely disagree with you. I really like the new layout. I mean, I think if you get enough people together, you could get a whole podcast out of the roundtable. Just go through each update as Youko and Co. have done, and get 6 or 7 people's opinion on it. Easy as that.

Though I've sent Youko an essay to read through about how he can improve it.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
\
I do appreciate your candor, though. Anyone else feel the way Sariku does? Remember that I'm still CONSIDERING this, but actually, it's more than likely going to follow through. I'm going through some rough times at the moment, and I need some more time freed up in my life, but I can't give SMYN up. It's just too awesome and I love creating it for you all.

I'll leave you with the biggest thing driving at me:

Writing the Rundown isn't fun anymore. Doing the Roundtable has all the same opinions as the Rundown and is FUN. SO FUN.
Like I said earlier this is YOUR podcast and YOUR the boss. Not some fan's. Also I know how it feels to be busy (Onlinebrawl is taking so much time =_=). If it's taking 10 hours a week + college that is just to intense i'm guessing. Can't really KNOW since I'm only 13 but I know college is alot harder. And with all the holidays coming up you need some time up. We got Halloween, thanksgiving, my birthday (Lol just jkin), Christmas, and New years. You should do what you want and if the rundown ISN'T fun anymore the don't do it. Do what YOU want to do.

Gg's mate

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
thanks guys for all your kind words. sorry i didn't reply earlier, but my computer was bugging out on me and i just had to watch Scrubs for the first time (excellent show, i see why you like it so much Youko)

but concerning the new format, i say if you cover the updates, i don't care which way it goes. I mean that's what the podcast has always been about, showing us "the week that was" and if one segment can cover it and reduce the amount of time, go with it. i mean that's why i love the podcast, it's SWF members' opinions on the updates this week and Roundtable this week nailed every update.

So as long as the updates are covered, i don't care which way you do it. It's your podcast Youko. Do what you will with it

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
As for people saying that the cast will get stale after awhile, let me just bring up some examples to counter that for you. I'm not huge on podcasts or radio, but I know that most podcasts are ONLY roundtables. It is just some guys talking, and its awesome. Same thing with radio, too. Ever listen to radio talk-shows? Many of them are simply the same cast of people talking on recent news. SMYN was the only podcast I've ever heard that had a scripted portion (given, I haven't listened to too many podcasts).

Hell, some of the most popular gaming podcasts I know of are "The Wii-k in Review" and "Cheap-*** Gamer," and the latter only has 2 people! Thats why I think the Roundtable could be a very viable and natural route for the podcast to take.

BrimeZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBrimeZ
3DS FC
5284-1495-9667
Youko, Samurai Panda, Colbusman, you guys are the **** and I'm a fan of SMYN.

Top Bottom