• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SHOW ME YOUR NEWS! - Gaming News PODCAST (Ep. 76 OUT!, New WEBSITE and iTunes!)

Tonic_Sonic

Smash Apprentice
i think the round table makes it sound more natural, which it is, and i think its more fun and pleasant to listen to. throwing in random anecdotes or jokes or whatever in with the brawl discussion, who isnt all about that?

and @ your halloween costume ideas, me and my bro look alike so we were both going to dress up as naruto and he would stand behind me as i yelled "KAGE BUNSHIN NO JUTSU (shadow clone jutsu)" and he would jump out from behind me. REAL LIFE NARUTO!

as a joke of course..... >_> im not some naruto nut....though it is a good show....and....yeah....uhhhh....just keep doing what you're doing guys.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
well, in season 1, the run down was my favorite part, and the only one i felt worth listening too. (other than your part sariku) but in season 2, with mail time and round table, i started skipping the rundown because it started to seem redundant. so if you skipped the rundown but made sure to cover it in round table, (even the updates than didn't make it), then i don't think it would make much of a difference.

Go for it youko!

(listens to podcast)

piffman2

Smash Apprentice
I am completely for a Roundtable-Mailtime-BV podcast. Maybe you could even combine roundtable and mailtime to add to the discussion like this week. I think that one fan site that spotlighted SMYN said that it sounded too sripted. Roundtable and natural and it flows very well. Also by reducing the production time the podcast might get out earlier. But that's not too important. Take as much time as you need.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I find it on weeks that we have the round table you can skip the run down seeing how you go over the updates in a fully detailed conversation instead of a 1 sided point of view.

example seeing how you never understood how the NOW ENTERING thing in the pictochat level would work, it helps to have other people that will give their point of view on the subject.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
ok, listened to it, and here's what i think.

first of, if it took 5 hours plus just for the rundown, it really isn't necessary youko. hope next week is better for you.

i can't go trick-or-treating this year either, but i'll dress up for school anyways. i usually don't get too fancy, but last year one of my friends, a die hard pokemon fan, dressed up as a trainer. he had the hat, the bag from ruby/sapphire, a few of the little gadgets (pokedex, some new one) and a belt with six pokeballs . he even had dyed a shirt to make it look like the game. it really looked authentic when it was done, and he put a good amount of time into it.

as for the idea of DS connecting to the stage, i think its too out of the way to be a feature, but who needs it with todays update?

overall nice job, i enjoyed the view point and might send one of my own in as my dad just got a mike and might let me use it. to colbusman/panda , yes, halo does repeat a lot, and so does legend of zelda, but not in the ww style branchoff, it is quite different.

expect my viewpoint soon youko

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
W00T, GHIII finally came for me today! Let me know your FC if you got it, mine's in my sig!

Yes, it is relevant, because I did mention it in the podcast! :)

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Youko, I'm placing this on your shoulders. IS GHIII WORTH THE BUY? IS THE ONLINE GOOD? I NEED ANSWERS FROM AN EXPERT!
If so, I will buy it. I loved GHII.

.Yoshi

Smash Journeyman
I liked the new layout of the podcast, though you should add some more bit music in there to liven things up during a roundtable. You can't have music playing while you are chatting, but perhaps put a sound file layered underneath the conversation audio at some parts. The music changes can cue transitions etc.

:)

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
Well, I'm pretty awesome at Medium, but still suck at Hard (stupid 5th key...). The reviews say that the game is the same between all the versions, except that the Wii version doesn't have downloadable content.

And come on. It's Guitar Hero III. FOR THE WII. Dragonforce - Through the Fire and Flames. 'Nuff said.

GET IT DUDE! :)

Sariku

Smash Master
God Youko made me sound like a jerk >.<

I just said this in alot more detail: "I think it's a bad idea. It takes away from the Podcast feeling and just makes it like your average Podcast. But it is Youko's Podcast, and it's a privledge, not a right."

Re-read my post whoever took it the wrong way.

---------------------------

But I suppose I didn't put enough positive support in the post I made. I enjoyed this cast, don't get me wrong. But if you're gonna have every cast like this, it will ruin the feeling for me. You won't "anticipate" RoundTable anymore, as it will always be there. Plus having it every week will leave less things to talk about and all around a smaller episode.

But this one was humorous. Which the other RoundTables didn't have. I hate to say it, but I had serious doubts about Colbusman in the RoundTable. But he made it the Best RoundTable to date. He knows how to interupt and have fun. I can tell he listened to the feedback we gave him.

Also, because you didn't mention it, you sent out the PM's to the people already, or are you two still deciding?

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Well, I'm pretty awesome at Medium, but still suck at Hard (stupid 5th key...). The reviews say that the game is the same between all the versions, except that the Wii version doesn't have downloadable content.

And come on. It's Guitar Hero III. FOR THE WII. Dragonforce - Through the Fire and Flames. 'Nuff said.

90 dollars seems a bit pricey, but I'm trading in stuff so it should be all good. I'll get it tomorrow or wednesday most likely, and I'll hit you back with a FC. From the sounds of it, we're right at the same place. I rock at medium, and I can beat the GHII on hard ( with quite alot of effort on songs like psychobilly freakout etc.), but it soudns like there will be epic rockoff's to come. It's funny, because I noticed you started playing Mario Strikers Charged right after I quit after my last game with Stryks. I played way too much so I kind of had to make a change..

But on a slightly more relevant note, I hope whatever issues you're dealing with are resolved, want you to know that I liked the run down and all that stuff, and I didn't expect alot from the three man round table, but in all honesty, I think this is a format that is much more condusive to getting more info to more people. I thought that Colbusman and Samurai Panda were a good tandem because although they had differing oppinions in a few places, they got along pretty well, and you need oppinions from both sides, and I just thought it worked alot more fluidly. Keep up the good work.

Colbusman, great job on the discussion, I liked your insights, and definitely admire your nack for AWESOME halloween costume ideas. Snake...Priceless. Didn't know you were a Bowser main, it's great to see more of them.

Samurai Panda was also excellent as always.

WG's final word = I'll take the round table any day.

You gotta watch the window!

BlackKnight76

Smash Apprentice
I'm with whoever said wait for Rock Band, im getting it for the 360, hit me up if you wanna jam in November

Anyway, since we're having this great debate of Rundown vs. Roundtable (if I had to go with one as is I'd go with a weekly Roundtable) why not do a semi-combination of both? While not being scripted completely, what if you guys just went down the week's events, outlines them, and then discussed them. It would be the same great roundtable, but with the structure that some are missing with the rundown.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135

I got it too! i'll PM you my friend code once i get it

Snakz

Smash Ace
I had one VG costume, which is disappointing cause i think i should make more VG costumes, but mine was Scorpion from MK

Although my favorite costume i ever made was a TV...yes a TV

Great show guys! i'd love to be on RT, but Colbusman does a very nice job, it feels like he belongs in that discussion, at least to me

I do like the Rundown, but i think what you should do is make more simplistic and then get into more detail with it in the RT days, and more detail in the Rundown on non-RT days. Although i wouldn't really mind if the Rundown was gone completely on RT days

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
Alright, I've finally done listening to this weeks episode.

This episode made me VERY happy. Youko, I'd have to say that I didn't feel as if Roundtable took away from the podcast. I mean, you guys pretty much covered the week, AND alot more. The Roundtable was very funny AND informative. Colbusman was an EXCELLENT addition and it sounded as if you three have been friends for the longest time. At the start it was kinda "meh", but soon after you three started cracking jokes and having a good time. I had fun listening to you guys have fun, and talk about something we all love. Great job you three. I'll be sad to see Colbusman go though.
Here's to hoping for more Rountable additions soon, because the extra person just adds so much more.

The Brawl Viewpoint was GREAT Blizzard! I especially loved the tag-team battles you talked about, and I think it could be easily put into Brawl. When you lose your last stock, your next character would appear on the little floty-stand instead of the first character. I don't know how this would work for Time matches though considering you didn't really explain that, but no one plays time anyways =P.

All in all, GREAT podcast. As you can read above, I loved it to bits. Keep it up Youko.

-PS: I think I'm going to get GHIII as well considering I have the first two. I'll be getting 3 for Wii, but first I need a job. I have all the money I need, but it'd be nice to have a steady flow of cash coming in. It adds to the feeling of security. So have your guitars tuned because I'll be playing on Expert.

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
There isn't much left to be said that hasn't already! The cast was great Youko, just great! And if this style is THAT much easier for you as well, I highly reccomend you continue with it. =] I especially liked the talk about the Picto-chat stage. Although I HIGHLY doubt that it'll be DS compatible myself to draw on it. And as for the "Now entering:" stuff, yes, it just is a little detail about DS's pictochat when people enter the chat room. And the idea of those popping up when you die and respawn sounds great to me. Although it seems more likely it'll only be shown at the start of the match to me.

The only thing I didn't like though is all the stuff about GHIII, but, that's just baised on my part. I have a grudge against that series and it has nothing to do with my overall opinion on the cast. But if you want to know why I dont like the GH series, it's because I'm also a music buff... but of very odd proportions compared to anyone else. (trust me on that)

Albiel

Smash Apprentice
Just saw the episode. Was awesome. I found the icon/number theory pretty cool, and actually started looking into it.

As for the GHlll thing, my brother's getting it. I'm going Rock Band all the way.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
-I have this very out there idea to cover maybe what you don't cover on the roundtable. It's a little far fetched, but it'd be intresting to experiment. What if two people were to do like a debate style thing (outside the roundtable, like two people other then Youko and SP, as sorta a seperate thing) the week(s) you don't do the roundtable. Youko maybe gives them something to talk about before hand (ie: Likely Characters, How Subspace Emissary will work, etc.), they say what he told them to cover, they discuss the basics, and then they really discuss/debate it. Kinda out there, but it'd be a neat thing to work out. Just thought I'd throw that idea out there. ;)

Plus, it'd be a neat way to add opinion in out there, seeing as how it would take 10,000 hours to get a 4 way roundtable working. (Seriously, that took forever just to do 10 minutes worth! :laugh:)
^ Any thoughts on this idea=??? Less work for Youko, and maybe a newer Brawl Viewpoints (while hopefully keeping the Brawl Viewpoints), and sorta a replacement for the long gone "Who's In" and "Show Yourselves" segments (especially the awsome 1st one I mentioned! XD). Plus you'd get two viewpoints (possibly smartly colliding), leading

You heard it here first, the Stage Creator is in Brawl!

I done a Brawl Viewpoint on this about a month ago (or two) and mentioned pretty much everything that Sakurai has put in to today's update.

Oh and John, thanks :)
^ You win, and great job on predicting that, and the viewpoints. Alll top notch! :)

thanks guys for all your kind words. sorry i didn't reply earlier, but my computer was bugging out on me and i just had to watch Scrubs for the first time (excellent show, i see why you like it so much Youko)

but concerning the new format, i say if you cover the updates, i don't care which way it goes. I mean that's what the podcast has always been about, showing us "the week that was" and if one segment can cover it and reduce the amount of time, go with it. i mean that's why i love the podcast, it's SWF members' opinions on the updates this week and Roundtable this week nailed every update.

So as long as the updates are covered, i don't care which way you do it. It's your podcast Youko. Do what you will with it
^ Pretty much I agree.

@ Youko
For future roundtables, I think you got to do it a rundown style (in the sense of the lesser important updates to the more important updates, or any order for all I care), and go in order, then talk about random stuff, or something. Also, just cover what you all noticed and felt, and add the usual roundtable flare in there. So ya, that's my solution t oplease everyone! :)

RoyalRook

Smash Journeyman
I am a fan Youko, your podcast practically introduced me to this site. I love your old format, it was much for organized and informative than the new layout. But then again, I love the lay back style of the round table section, a fair trade off? I was kinda disappointed about ep. 17, though; b/c I found myself drifting off a lot during the section, which mean that I was bored, lol. Keep up the good work, yours truly.

P.S. Get Manhunt II for the Wii man, it is incredible......you have to be into this kind of stuff though.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
The co-host interrupted a lot :(
Well, I was trying to make the discussion this time seem more natural instead of just taking turns, so I made an effort to interject simple comments that would come up in real conversations. Plus, the new programs we're using allows us to do this now.

By the way, has the sound quality improved this time? I'm still trying to make it sound better.

Also, keep in mind people: The roundtable this time was NOT meant to replace the rundown. It was unorganized because we just wanted to touch on a few of the bigger updates of the week, and instead we nearly hit them all. If the next rountable replaces the rundown, then it will be more organized and likely flow smoother (although we'll probably keep going on tangents because thats what makes the roundtable so fun).

Florida

イーグランツ
Well, I was trying to make the discussion this time seem more natural instead of just taking turns, so I made an effort to interject simple comments that would come up in real conversations. Plus, the new programs we're using allows us to do this now.

By the way, has the sound quality improved this time? I'm still trying to make it sound better.

Also, keep in mind people: The roundtable this time was NOT meant to replace the rundown. It was unorganized because we just wanted to touch on a few of the bigger updates of the week, and instead we nearly hit them all. If the next rountable replaces the rundown, then it will be more organized and likely flow smoother (although we'll probably keep going on tangents because thats what makes the roundtable so fun).
This is what I enjoyed about this week's RoundTable.
Taking turns sharing opinions with a transition of "What do you think, ___?" was rather lame. Interrupting from time to time to follow through with a debate, such as with you and Colbusman regarding the amount of BTT levels, "spices" it all up.

But still, we need to hear opinions and views evenly from everyone starring in the RoundTable. It makes things... fair, and more enjoyable.

As for the sound quality, it's MUCH better than the first few premiers of RoundTable. Skype working for y'all, I suppose?

RokkuManZer0

Smash Apprentice
I'm all up for the new podcast format. I think it's a lot more spontaneous and fun to listen to and since it gives you Youko less work... what more can you ask for? :p As long as you cover in the roundtable what you'd get in the Rundown nothing is lost in my opinion.

Edit: Bad wording ftl.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Ya whatever you guys are using keep with it! Skype, I think that is what your using, rules. Also I think my mic works with it! When I use my mic with vent it sounds horrible so I'll have to test it with a friend sometime then I'll try and sign up for the roundtable =D

I think I might record a Brawl viewpoint on Ideas for custom Stages.

Would that be any good?
Sorry man but Bli33ard did that about a month ago. It was amazing because his predictions and everything were almost PERFECT.

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
you know what would be cool? if you host a live podcast. or maybe a live roundtable, and a IRC chat so listeners can chat too

FAR easier said than done, but maybe something that will be considered in the VERY distant future...

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I am a fan Youko, your podcast practically introduced me to this site. I love your old format, it was much for organized and informative than the new layout. But then again, I love the lay back style of the round table section, a fair trade off? I was kinda disappointed about ep. 17, though; b/c I found myself drifting off a lot during the section, which mean that I was bored, lol. Keep up the good work, yours truly.

P.S. Get Manhunt II for the Wii man, it is incredible......you have to be into this kind of stuff though.
I didn't feel bored, I was more bored with the formulaic run down, since you could basically expect what is gonig to be said if you even have a tiny intimation to what is being said around the boards. Getting flowing discussion is good.

And manhunt? Man, enjoy it, I'm totally against the whole censorship issue with it, but like with Hostel, I just don't see how I'd be able to finish it and be like, wow, i had a great time torturing that guy with a shovel and some pliers!

And youko I'll pm you with my GHIII code later, I'm getting it right after I return all my football gear (SEASONS OVER, I'M OFFICIALLY BACK TO SMASH XD)

And props to Bliz, I almost forgot about his clairvoyance until I was listening to old SMYN ep's and heard the viewpoint again. SPOT ON MAN!

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
hey, i was thinking of recording a brawl veiwpoint on which clones i think will return from melee and which won't, (and what will happen to them), but i was wondering if that would be to much like a ''who's in''. i recently acquired an adequate mike, so i can record it.

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
Sariku kinda covered it briefly at the end of Who's In, I'd pick a different topic if I were you.

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
Ok, I just wrote a long a** post but I didn't go through. I went through atleast 5 pages and multi-quoted some things, but I just can't be bothered to do that again in fear that my internet may crash. So here's my post in a nutshell.

Youko:
I agree with Sariku for the most part. I did say that this week made up for "the Rountable taking away from the cast", but I have a feeling that if it was the Roundtable EVERYWEEK, it'd DEF. take away from the cast.

Now I know you said that you don't like writing the rundown anymore, and I respect that. By all means, I don't want to seem like I'm trying to get you to do something you don't want to do, but Youko, please cut it out with the guilt trips. We know you're a busy college guy, we know you have an outside life, so you don't have to try and guilt trip us when you say things like "I hope you can forgive me for trying to have a life" . If people aren't appreciating the service you're giving us, than they can screw off.

But back on topic, I think having the EVERYTHING every week would get just as redundant as the Roundtable repeating the rundown. Also, wouldn't that be even more work for you, doing it EVERY week? I think that if the Roundtable was biweekly, and it swapped weeks with the Rundown, everything would go smoothly. Also, I don't think it'd hurt anyone to get some Mailtime in everyweek, because Mailtime is just fun in a barrel, but I digress.

Show Me Your News rocks, but people get tired of the same old thing. It's just human nature. If we were to get the same thing every week, how long do you think that'd last? I mean, the biggest reason why I was such a fan of this weeks Table was because of the third personality. Colbusman was just great, and added so much more to the table. If you could have an excellent third like him everyweek, than sure, I'd love the roundtable, but if it's just going to be You and Panda, even though I love you guys, it'll get dull. Colbusman being there was like an easter egg, and I think that if Roundtable is going to occur everyweek, we'd need a Table easter egg alot more than once in a blue moon.

This is only one guys opinion though, and I don't really matter much to the cast. This isn't my thing, it's yours. You can go in whichever direction that you want, it's up to you and I guess the majority of the fans. To shed some light though, no matter what direction SMYN goes, I'll still listen everyweek because I always need some Brawl on the weekends.

You rock Youko. Stay that way.

-Pyro

Also, Roy's downair doesn't spike, and doing a BV on clones is a bad idea. I was going to do one a week or two ago but then I remembered that Sariku pretty much got it all.

Tonic_Sonic

Smash Apprentice
are you guys gunna do a follow up episode once brawl comes out? like your review of the game and such?

Top Bottom