• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SHOW ME YOUR NEWS! - Gaming News PODCAST (Ep. 76 OUT!, New WEBSITE and iTunes!)

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
ah yes a title...give me one second...

"Cut in the Darkness" (it's a cool sentance Sakurai gives us in Meta's Final)

"Very Scary Ruins" (Weird comment for a stage, but funny for an episode)

"Fish Out of Water" (Ice Climbers stage, fish, etc.)

"'Classic' Never Dies" (Play on of "Classics Never Die", obviously)

"Stage Building Enters New Summits" (All updates pulled into one)

that's all i got

2nd Stamp

Smash Ace
Well, like I said before, the last Roundtable wasn't intended to replace the rundown. Had we known it would, we would've been more organized and detailed.

Also, while I don't doubt you could write a good Rundown, when you have to speak using someone else's words, it makes the job much more difficult. Notice how Youko sometimes stumbles with words when he's reading a written BV? Same concept. Plus, the Rundown is comprised mostly of his own opinion on the matter, plus some personal flair. I don't think anybody could imitate that kind of genuine personality.
That's very true. Shame, since the Rundown was the thing that did the trick for me. But ok, if your going to blend it with Roundtable, I guess you could make that work! Have fun!

Bli33ard

Smash Journeyman
ATM, I'm happy as it is. I mean, heh. Some people might not like the new layout, but it DOES encourage a bit more natural conversation in. It's not as if SP and ouko can't control a discussion and get it on track, eh? I find it more enjoyable, anyway.

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
Preview for episode 18 is up now.

Roundtable + Mailtime is 90 minutes long, so the podcast just might be topping 100 mins this time around...ZOMG! O.o

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Nice, I love the long duration of them. Kepp it up Youko, good stuff!

P.S. dunno if you got the pm but I added you on GHIII

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
nice...my idea was used

Very Scary Ruins wasn't what i thought the title of the episode would be (that was the last of all the titles i saw that i thought would be a title), but still it's funny. i feel happy and stupid for coming up with the name

still 90 min. this time. i don't think our segment was that long, so good thing these are getting longer

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
The stream for Episode 18 is now up. We're talking around 104 minutes here.

Don't expect it this early every week AT ALL, please. I just happen to be busy later on today (i.e., going to the Detroit Lions game, etc.) so I had to get it done early. Let's also just say I'm making up for being not as punctual the past couple weeks. None of my sources are available at the moment to get the download up, but hopefully that can be completed at the normal time later tonight.

For now, enjoy, and give SamuraiPanda and I a lot of feedback on this one!

EDIT: Oh yeah, one more thing, the mp3 is 64 kb/s...so that's why it may sound a little crappy. Cuz usually podcasts in the past were double that bitrate. But it was something that had to be done to get it down to around 50 MB for how big it is...

(EDIT)^2: Want to get the download early??? Hack into E-Snips! Go to the stream link, right-click the player and select "Properties". Where it say "Location," there is a link that you can highlight. If you copy/paste it into your browser...voila! You've got the download!!

Anth0ny

Smash Master
I completely agree that the roundtable should be used rather than the rundown. I prefer unscripted stuff on podcasts rather than someone reading from a sheet. Listening to the episode now!

SwordHunter

Smash Apprentice
Ok, it took me a while to track down that picture, but I got it. I'm definitely not a wrestling fan - just going off the conversation when Youko first brought it to my attention probably a week or two ago. Shameless steal, really... silly WWE.

Edit: Argh, you beat me to it...

Wight

Smash Apprentice
No stage builder for tournaments? hmm, perhaps they might have random stages, so there is a heavier mind game element when neither player is familiar with the stage. just a thought.

oh, nice episode, but i didnt like that you got so sidetracked with those silly questions. I wouldnt mind, but if it takes up almost 2 hours of my time it's almost too much. Last episode was just right. Just dont bother with those silly questions.
Thanks

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
Rawr. Once again I have big plans today.
Girlfriends house, buying double kicks, buying GH3 FOR WII, etc =P .

I'll try and listen to the cast tomorrow along with my review.

Aryman

Smash Master
3DS FC
1934-0665-4529
Early podcast? hmm this throws a wrench in my carefully laid plans of "chinese food dinner and a podcast" Sunday... It shall now be "chinese food LUNCH and a podcast" Sunday :laugh:
Anyway, the Colts-Pats game is on later and that's def a must-watch, so I guess it works out.
Hacking the episode as we speak, impressions will come later.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
nice episode this week. very funny as always.

but i like this setup. it's more enjoyable and it's as informative as the Rundown, so i would like to see it stay this way. good job to both you Youko and SamuariPanda this week. and nice viewpoint X Guardian Ace

but i guess i'll try to give Youko a verb name...

"Podcasts vary in style and length, but if you Youko them, the podcast can be very enjoyable."

Youko: (verb) To provide silly-ness while giving information based on a particular subject

(da**it, i suck at english. i'm like Panda, where people who don't use proper english bug the hell out of me, but unfortunetely i've never been that well at english myself)

as for a new name for Roundtable, don't ask me. i'm not that creative (something else i suck at). but if i do think of one, i'll post in here again

gtkdltk007

Smash Apprentice
Hey Youko. At one point in Episode 18, you talked about Mater Chief's possibilities in Brawl. OK, it’s not happening, but he could have a non-realistic gun set. He would have to use his non-bullet using guns. So, his move set could be:

Standard-A - Pistol-Whip
Tilt-Forward-A - Spiker Slash
Forward-Smash-A - Energy Sword Slice
Up-Smash-A - Vertical Fire-Bomb Throw, if Misses, Comes Back down and Explodes
Down-Smash-A - Gravity Hammer Smash

Standard-B - Firing the Plasma Pistol, hold Down for Charged, Slightly-Homing Launch
Tilt-Forward-B - Throw Rocket Launcher
Forward-Smash-B - Spartan Laser
Up-Smash-B - Portable-Gravity Lift (Acts like Sonic's, Stays on Stage if Used Over Stage, No Damage)
Down-Smash-B - Lay a Trip Mine

Standard-Air – Side Kick
Forward-Air - Flamethrower
Back-Air – Kick Back
Down-Air – Kick Down
Up-Air - Punch Up

Final Smash – Well, there are many goods options. But, it would have to be one of the following 2:

Banshee Dive – Hop into a Banshee, shoot around enemies or launch Plasma Bombs, and Crash into Everyone
Turret Strike – Master Chief walks around with a Turret from a Rocket Launching Warthog. Fires rather frequently, large blast radius.

gtkdltk007

Smash Apprentice
Master Chief could actually be a very capable figher, along the lines fo Snake, using many exsplosives and projectiles. Still, it isn't likely he'll make it. Love the show man, keep it up.

As well as a new word for the Roundtable, you can call it the Superspace Assembly, idk, making it up off the top of my head. As for Mailtime, call it , idk Bounding Mailbox, yeah I made a pun on bounding box. And perhaps, if you wanted to create a term fro special guests, you can call them Off-Screen Appearances. Yeah, most of these names are dumb, but hey, you gotta try something.

BTW

Youko - to take a certain thing or objects and explain them in clearer detail; to excrucitaingly explain and identify;

Ex. The man didn't understand how to do the math problem, so the other guy Youko'd it for him, and he then understood.

Snakz

Smash Ace
Wow, what an amazing podcast, you should deffinetly keep this new style with the Roundtable instead of Rundown, it's alot more fun to listen to it unscripted, at least to me and others.

As for a new term for Roundtable, im fine really with Roundtable, but you should also consider something like the Smash Panel, that could be cool.

And maybe the Mailtime could be................i really dont know.

Speaking of mailtime i have a question for you guys next time, ill PM you Youko.

Anyways, great job guys, awesome!

BlackKnight76

Smash Apprentice
Wow that is a blatant rip by the WWE, nice find Youko.

Overall the podcast kept it's excellence up, as always. It was apparent that Samurai was a pit out of it, and it made sense once it was revealed that it was midnight when it was being recorded, but I liked the goofy side of things, it made the podcast more of a fun listen. I also liked the early release, though I know I shouldn't get used to it.

On the subject of casual vs. hardcore (and relating to our favorite comparison game, Halo, which I play relatively avidly as well as frequent the official forums for) it is almost the opposite, and mostly due to the randomness in the online play, especially during Halo 2. The hardcore gamers for Halo have very strict rules that in some cases they can not customize, to a point where in Halo 2 they just would not pick up the sword in Pro Games, even if it was on the map. The way the game is set up online, where you can not pick a stage (though you can now veto it), you can not turn off certain weapons, etc etc, it was actually the Pros and hardcore gamers who played online with the default settings which they hated, that would criticize us casual gamers who just wanted to have some fun. I think the most talked about topic before it's banning on the halo 2 "Zanzibar" forum, was the SMG vs Battle Rifle as starting weapon debate, the SMG being a less skillful weapon, and the BR being a much more powerful and strategic choice.

It is just interesting how the implementation of online gaming across these two spectrums of gamer is going to affect the community, though if Brawl does it right and there is a high amount of customization with stage selection and item use, or even different playlists (maybe an item on, item off playlist type, or a random stage and tourney legal stage playlist) can help keep everyone happy.

I expect that we will see Luigi this week, probably Wednesday, because of the much speculation that has been had on his unveiling mostly due to the idiot Nintendo Rep mentioning him as he struggled for characters/ The silhouette theory if just dumb.

To wrap this post up, here is a list of Halo 3 weapons that could be implemented with Master Chief in his unlikely appearance as a character:

-Beam Rifle (a laser sniper rifle type thing, maybe a hard to aim, thin, but high damage projectile?)
-Brute Shot (alien grenade launcher that has a bayonet-esque blade on the back for good melee attacks
-Covenant Carbine (alien gun that shoots green laser-like projectile, could be a rapid A attack)
-Energy Sword (smash attack that beats the crap out of people)
-Firebomb (think a quick PK fire type attack)
-Flamethrower (Bowser's firebreath)
-Frag Grenade (self explanatory)
-Fuel Rod Cannon (Big Laserish rocket launcher)
-Gravity Hammer (this was brought up, but to explain it, it is a very powerful, slow melee weapon that knocks anyone near it's collision far back, could be a slow, one attack, but extra powerful Down B, kinda based on DK's attack.
-Needler (shoots pink needles of death that explode after a few seconds)
-Plasma Cannon (plasma turret thing)
-Plasma Grenades (sticks to enemy, big explosion)
-Plasma Pistol (could be used like it is in Halo, auto shield breaker)
-Spartan Laser (long charge, pure ownage, like Samus' B but you can walk around while charging, cannot be stored but can be charged infinately)
-Spike Grenade, sticks to things and explode, shooting spikey shrapnel everywhere)

MC can also just beat people down which he is accustomed to doing in Halo, and he has a bunch of vehicles at his disposal, maybe one can make a wario chopper type appearance

Sorry about the long post, but as you can see though it is unlikely, Sakurai does have enough to work with if Nintendo sold their soul to the Devil and included the Chief in Brawl.

Edit: I see someone beat me to the moves for Chief, nice job on the set, I like the Grav Lift for Up B

soaz

Smash Ace
Its been a long time since i commented last time but i just gotta say it. This has been the funniest episode ever. I loved the part about ice climbers when you ask samuraipanda if he heard about them before melee and he says hell no. Keep up the good work.

Sauvie

Smash Apprentice
This is my first time replying to this thread but I have listened to SMYN since episode 1.

Amazing edition of SMYN Youko and Samurai panda, Easily the most entertaining episode so far.
You both made good points about all of the updates I especially like the interesting points you made on the Classic and Stage builder updates.
But the single best thing I heard in this podcast was that discussion of why Hardcore and Casual Smash bros players rip into each other so much and it honestly started to make me wonder as well Great job.
Bonus points for Retro-riffic though

I also noticed that the WWE's Cyber sunday logo was a bit familiar they totally ripped off the screw attack.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
i completely spaced it off, but i agree with both you guys about the fight between casual and hardcore SSB players. this is all i have to say to you guys (refering to those fighting on both sides)...

Get over it. Seriously, who cares which is better? Just play the d*** game your own way and shut the hell up. Smash Bros. is all about bringing gamers together and then beating the s*** out of Pokemon (or if you're a Poke fan, everyone else). so get over it, play some Smash Bros., and have a good laugh.

and that is all i have to say concerning the matter (well, i have more, but stuff like this gets me pissed and i'll go off on this large tangent with lots of cursing, so i'm just gonna save everyone time by not going off)

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
wow i'm 3 for 3 now

i've been mentioned in the last 3 podcasts woot woot

XD toooooo goooooodz

these are great and i wanna be on one haha i'll talk about brawl... and bowser duh

Knyaguy

Smash Lord
Ok I will start by saying that I haven't heard the New Stream yet.
Now that thats out of the way...... I started listening to the podcast around episode 16 but i have heard all the episodes avalible from iTunes twice.

I really like the 3 people round table. Props to colbusman & SamuraiPanda Epsiode 17 was very lengthly and i wouldn't mind if the podcast is even longer! I Can't wait for the podcast to go on iTunes. Good job so far Youko, keep the podcast comming!

SirPenguin

Smash Journeyman
I noticed you guys were talking about where the hate for pros and such come from, and honestly, it isn't too hard to see. While it may have since flipped, competitive players were always the ones to jump down everyone's throats. An inflated ego tends to follow competitive players, and they try to force everyone to play their (fairly rigid) way, and relentlessly mock people who don't.

What happened was inevitable. The tables turned, and casuals began mocking them for being so uptight about everything.

I totally disagree with the silly fighting between the two. it's stupid, as Smash allows for all sorts of playstyles. But no side is the victim here.

BlackKnight76

Smash Apprentice
Gimpy would really fill the entire spectrum of smasher on the Roundtable it would seem, with Youko being the casual average player, panda being the slightly more competitive above average smasher, and Gimpyfish being the pro, very advanced player. Would make a good team I think.

gtkdltk007

Smash Apprentice
Yo Black Knight, you sem to be intersted in the Master CHief debate. Look at my movesest on the last page. Itincludes most of those weapons. Agree or disagree?

Top Bottom