• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SHOW ME YOUR NEWS! - Gaming News PODCAST (Ep. 76 OUT!, New WEBSITE and iTunes!)

Cyberlink420

Smash Ace
NNID
cyberlink420
3DS FC
1461-6271-9006
And the main character can affect the game being bad or not. Would Soul Calibur be as good if Mickey Mouse was in it? No. Would Mario Kart be as good if Gordon Freeman and Sub Zero was in it? No, it's ridiculous, and so's Sonic in a sword-based game. It'd be like Sonic in a 3rd person shooter. Oh wait, that's been done, and it was ridiculous, a large part of the forced gameplay of guns into a Sonic game. Would it be better if the game was just focused on the gunplay and remove the 'sonic'-ness of it? More than likely. This game, if it wasn't Sonic-y, could be a good contender to things like Prince of Persia, instead it'll be a failure due to mixed game styles.

/walloftext
In its defense, the game plays like Secret Rings, but just with improved controls and a more convenient means of defending oneself.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
And the main character can affect the game being bad or not. Would Soul Calibur be as good if Mickey Mouse was in it? No. Would Mario Kart be as good if Gordon Freeman and Sub Zero was in it? No, it's ridiculous, and so's Sonic in a sword-based game. It'd be like Sonic in a 3rd person shooter. Oh wait, that's been done, and it was ridiculous, a large part of the forced gameplay of guns into a Sonic game. Would it be better if the game was just focused on the gunplay and remove the 'sonic'-ness of it? More than likely. This game, if it wasn't Sonic-y, could be a good contender to things like Prince of Persia, instead it'll be a failure due to mixed game styles.

/walloftext
Well I guess I'm alone in thinking if a game is fun IT'S FUN. People bought Final Fantasy with Mickey Mouse and a bunch of emo kids cause it was fun.

IMHO Shadow wasn't bad cause there were guns. It was a crappy physics engine and repetitive levels. Did anybody actually USE the guns that often? If anything I used them to speed up my times while completing certain objectives.

People love Vincent but Dirge of Cerberus didn't go over too well cause it wasn't really that well done. I personally kind of liked it for the bit I played but meh.

I thought Black Knight would suck at first too. In fact, I still kind of do, but IWontGetOverTheDam said it sounded great EXCEPT THAT SONIC WAS IN IT. If the game is fun Sonic won't ruin that. It'll be that the game ends up bad. Possibly due to Sonic-like COMPONENTS but not the character himself.

/fenceoftext

Edit: Oh wait. Final Fantasy is full of emos anyway. XD

Negi-Kun

Smash Lord
Wow... the Sonic good/bad debate spreads to the SMYN thread! Look what Sonic Black Knight is doing to us! It's tearing us apart!

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
I'm just saying characters can cross genres successfully as evidenced by Mario Kart and RPG.

And if a game is fun, I'll like it regardless of the characters in it as evidenced by my own freaking opinion.

I hated Siver. I DESPISE Silver. Words cannot express my disdain for Silver. But his gameplay wasn't THAT bad. Maybe if it was a skeleton for a future game.....

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
I think there are enough Sonic characters as it is.

Oh GOD yeah. About 2/3 of the characters don't bring ANYTHING to the series and need to die.

The same can be said of Mario though. ;)
OH! Except they got rid of the Koopa Kids. That was SO dumb. They were my favorite part of Mario except Bowser himself.

Darkurai

Smash Master
I'm just saying characters can cross genres successfully as evidenced by Mario Kart and RPG.

And if a game is fun, I'll like it regardless of the characters in it as evidenced by my own freaking opinion.

I hated Siver. I DESPISE Silver. Words cannot express my disdain for Silver. But his gameplay wasn't THAT bad. Maybe if it was a skeleton for a future game.....
Sometimes one series can work with a different genre when it's a spin-off title, provided that it's made by the right development team.

But to do it in a mainstream title like Black Knight is to be? Very risky.

And to have Sonic Team do it, who time and again has proven their inability to make good Sonic games anymore? It'll be a miracle if the game comes out good.
Yes, I know they can pull out a good game every now and then. However, to confidently say that they can do it requires for them to consistently make good games and only pull out a bad game every now and then.

Spork-Ninja-Draken

Smash Apprentice
Personally I'll wait until the game is out until I pass judgement it's all I can do really. o_O I won't hate on a game because of it's makers and even if it does suck it might give us some awesome music at least.

I mean look at Cheetahmen2 that game was f-ing terrible but the Music and remixes are epic.

Darkurai

Smash Master
All I ever meant was that Sonic doesn't make his game bad. His games being bad makes his games bad. I don't know how that stretched out for this long.
It's stretched out far too much.
Even Mic got in it. This is no longer the Show Me Your News! thread. This is the "Will the new Sonic suck?" thread.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
If Youko does what I and SwordHunter say to do, you just need to have a window open for the stickam and a window open for the IRC. The IRC will be Java based, which means you don't have to download anything. For those who want to see what it will be like, follow these steps.

- Go to www.gamesurge.net/chat/
- It will come up with some warning message, just press "run."
- When it fully loads, type "/nick YourName" (Example : /nick Sariku)
- Now type "/join #SMYN". (Example : /join #SMYN)

You are then there and ready to chat with everyone else. Youko may not decide to do this, but it would be easiest, as SwordHunter and myself decided.
Just thought I'd quote this so people don't miss the chat.

Mewter

Smash Master
It's stretched out far too much.
Even Mic got in it. This is no longer the Show Me Your News! thread. This is the "Will the new Sonic suck?" thread.
Exactly. That is what it is called now. Youko, change the name, please. This is now the "Will the New Sonic Suck?" Thread.
As confirmed by Darkurai.
Well anyways, I think that Sonic and the Black Night will be good... as long as Sonic doesn't copy TP and turn him into a werewolf while throwing him into a storybook with only cutscenes like turning 1000 year old pages. And if Shadow plays a main part...
I want a shadow the hedgehog 2, just to see if they make it better. And add a chao garden. It will make it great if they do it correctly.

I also read something on another forum about a new Shadow the Hedgehog being released because their father works for Nintendo and told them, but for all I know, it's another lie.

*Hopes for a new Sonic Game that doesn't kill itself.

This isn't actually my signature.

Spork-Ninja-Draken

Smash Apprentice
I also read something on another forum about a new Shadow the Hedgehog being released because their father works for Nintendo and told them, but for all I know, it's another lie.
I would WANT another Shadow the Hedgehog having an irrational love of the Spikey black fella.

Just without guns and moar of Shadow's unique Chaos powers... personally I think Shadow would be a better main character for this Sword game... but that's just me wanting more Shadow and more Shadow returned to his SA2 glory.

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
75 minutes until we're LIVE!

...still have to outline and pick mailtime questions...hrm.

Sariku

Smash Master
Youko, are we going to do the chat in IRC like I suggested? It's much easier to reference, and I can help moderate it for you, Panda, and SwordHunter if you wish. Reply.

Negi-Kun

Smash Lord
OMG SMYN IN 20 MINS!! Sorry for double posting, but I'm excited as you can tell, lol.

EDIT: Wow, still 30 mins. I keep think 8:00 lol :p

Sariku

Smash Master
If Youko does what I and SwordHunter say to do, you just need to have a window open for the stickam and a window open for the IRC. The IRC will be Java based, which means you don't have to download anything. For those who want to see what it will be like, follow these steps.

- Go to www.gamesurge.net/chat/
- It will come up with some warning message, just press "run."
- When it fully loads, type "/nick YourName" (Example : /nick Sariku)
- Now type "/join #SMYN". (Example : /join #SMYN)

You are then there and ready to chat with everyone else. Youko may not decide to do this, but it would be easiest, as SwordHunter and myself decided.

We already have about 7 people in here, so everyone else should go ahead and join in!

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
SwordHunter can help in moderating the chat and redirecting people there from the Stickam chat. We'll go with the Java chat for now, and you can still listen to the episode separately on the Stickam channel or the first page of this thread!

thedobaga

Smash Apprentice
****, so I won't be able to take part in the chat.. eh, atleast I'll still be able to hear the episode.

Top Bottom