• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SHOW ME YOUR NEWS! - Gaming News PODCAST (Ep. 76 OUT!, New WEBSITE and iTunes!)

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
My computer decided to shut down. Suddenly. Fun, right?

Anyway, I beat the dude with all the hands, got the Lens of Truth, got big again, and entered the Shadow Temple. For another day...

DVD Smith

Smash Journeyman
More info on Black Knight, straight from Nintendo Power:

• Developed by the same people as Sonic and the Secret Rings
  • ”This time, a sorceress named Merlina summons Sonic to the mythical realm of King Arthur, but it seems the fabled monarch has somehow been corrupted and now rules the land as the tyranical Black Knight.”
  • Uses a similar storybook device as Secret Rings
  • ”As Sonic runs along, a simple flick of the Wii remote will execute a basic slash, which is enough to dispatch most low-level grunts.”
  • More advanced swordplay consists of the ability to thrust, parry, and even pull off a buzz-saw maneuver midjump.
  • ”During out demo, we saw the hedgehog leap from a high precipice, then thrust the blade into a wall to slow his decent, sparks flying impressivly as steel cut through brick”
  • ”Combat is integrated in such a way that most of the time you can slice through any who stand in your path without even slowing down”
  • Sonic is controlled with the Control Stick.
  • ”Our hero begins his quest as a mere knave. Only by becoming a full-fledged knight will he have any hope of defeating King Arthur.”
  • ”…his sword, a talking blade named Calibur, serves as a mentor”
  • If you help civilian townfolk in need of assistance, you’ll earn points toward knighthood. If you smite one of those civilians, your reputation will take a hit.
  • ”At the end of each stage, the game tallies your good and not-so-good deeds and updates your rank accordingly.”
  • You can purchase items from residents. “Sonic can aquire everything from gauntlets to magical tomes to new swords, and when equipped, each article bestows him with a unique benefit.”
  • About 200 items in all, with some being able to be combined with others to make new ones.
  • You have the option to go online and trade items with friends.
  • Rings come in burlap sacks instead of monitors.
  • Sonic uses magic elementals to help him do various things, such as a bounce pad or a speed boost. They look like chao heads. The red ones give him a jump and the blue give Sonic a speed boost.
  • Sonic can cross large gaps by firing a ballista and grinding the rope to the other side.
  • ”On the audio side, veteran composer Jen Senoue is taking a smiliar approach, injecting familiar Sonic themes with a Celtic flavor.”
  • ”Each stage has multiple branching paths and searching for townsfolk and treasure chests provides an element of exploration that recalls Sonic’s early Genesis days.”
  • ”…the camera will occasionally pan to a side-scrolling perspective for a quick dose of classic 2-D action”
  • SBK Bringing back the skill system from Secret Rings, but they’re trying not to have the skill system interfere with the game’s tempo this time around.
  • The mission structure also returns but the developers hope to make it less arduous.
  • ”And there will be no dinosaur eggs!”
  • ”Just as they subbed in for such characters as Ali Baba and Aladdin in Sonic and the Secret Rings, a number of familiar faces will assume Arthurian personas in SBK.”
  • ”This time, however, some of Sonic’s friends will be playable. Each hero will boast unique abilities, and though the team isn’t ready to divulge the full cast just yet, we do know the identities of two playable comrades: Knuckles, who brandishes two swords at once, and Shadow.”
  • Playing as these other characters is entirely optional. You will be able to play through game as Sonic, or switch to the other characters if you choose.
  • A new special gauge will “bestow him with similarly impressive powers. The meter fills gradually whenever Sonic vanquishes an enemy or snags a purple elemental, and when it reaches a certain point you can unleash a powerful combination attack capable of tearing through multiple foes in quick succession.”
  • ”…the team behind Sonic and the Black Knight is keenly aware of the franchise’s past missteps, and their enthusiasm for doing right by the series is infections”

I don't know about you guys, but this sounds great. After all, it has Jun Senoue. JUN F***ING SENOUE.

Darkurai

Smash Master
Can I be the jester? Or a horse?

Also, I believe I posted that stuff earlier in the topic, DVD.
You can be the jester. The jester who failed to please the king and was thrown into the dungeon, then spent years perfecting his clarinet skills, and came back and was awesome.

IWontGetOverTheDam

Smash Lord
That sounds great.... Except for the fact that it's Sonic. Why does Sonic need to be doing these things? Why not a different person in a different franchise? Start something new, fresh.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
1. It's start of the Storybook series which they started with SONIC.
2. Why do you have to pigeonhole a character into a specific genre? Who cares what something is SUPPOSED to be. If people didn't try to break the mold we wouldn't have Mario RPG.

Darkurai

Smash Master
1. It's start of the Storybook series which they started with SONIC.
2. Why do you have to pigeonhole a character into a specific genre? Who cares what something is SUPPOSED to be. If people didn't try to break the mold we wouldn't have Mario RPG.
Because we've seen from example that Sonic generally doesn't work with different genres.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
That's not the characters fault. It's bad development. Sonic Team just HAPPENS to be better at high speed running games so far. Play a non-RPG from Square. Does that mean Square sucks? No. It means they have the most success with RPG's. Sonic Team is trying different things so they don't get stale. They aren't WORKING but that's the teams fault. It's not that Sonic can't do it.

It's like Gimpy said about Star Fox Adventures. People were mad because it was a Zelda game with Fox in it basically. If people would have looked at it for what it WAS instead of what they thought it SHOULD BE more people would have enjoyed it.

The difference is Sonic games have sucked recently.

Darkurai

Smash Master
That's not the characters fault. It's bad development. Sonic Team just HAPPENS to be better at high speed running games so far. Play a non-RPG from Square. Does that mean Square sucks? No. It means they have the most success with RPG's. Sonic Team is trying different things so they don't get stale. They aren't WORKING but that's the teams fault. It's not that Sonic can't do it.

It's like Gimpy said about Star Fox Adventures. People were mad because it was a Zelda game with Fox in it basically. If people would have looked at it for what it WAS instead of what they thought it SHOULD BE more people would have enjoyed it.

The difference is Sonic games have sucked recently.
The thing here though is that it's the same team working on Sonic, trying to do new things with it.

The Sonic RPG? I know it'll be a good game, because Sonic Team didn't make it.

The thing is, that most Sonic games in general recently that haven't sucked weren't made by Sonic Team.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Right. They suck at non-traditional Sonics. Doesn't mean SONIC can't be good in other genre's.

Honestly when I think about what I read about Sonic RPG I can't help but think of a faster Chrono Trigger.

Darkurai

Smash Master
Right. They suck at non-traditional Sonics. Doesn't mean SONIC can't be good in other genre's.

Honestly when I think about what I read about Sonic RPG I can't help but think of a faster Chrono Trigger.
I know the character could work in other genres. The thing is, it's still Sonic Team.
Sonic Team is making Black Knight.
They said it's the same team as Sonic and the Secret Rings.
Look at the back of the box for Secret Rings.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Well all I said was that Sonic could work in other genres and that characters shouldn't HAVE to behave a certain way in a game. I'm not backing up Sonic Teams recent credentials.

Except Sonic and the Secret Rings, Sonic Rush, Sonic Rush Adventure and NiGHTS.

And if I remember correctly they did Panzer Dragoon Orta which was awesome but that's not exactly recent.

Trapt497

Smash Ace
I have officially joined the facebook group. Which is pretty much nothing less of awesome. Everyone else here who has one should join.

I can't wait for the next episode...

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
My computer decided to shut down. Suddenly. Fun, right?

Anyway, I beat the dude with all the hands, got the Lens of Truth, got big again, and entered the Shadow Temple. For another day...
There's your answer.

That's not the characters fault. It's bad development. Sonic Team just HAPPENS to be better at high speed running games so far. Play a non-RPG from Square. Does that mean Square sucks? No. It means they have the most success with RPG's.
How many of Squares games include the same character in every game? Cloud isn't in every final fantasy, nor Final Fantasy Racing, Final Fantasy Tennis, Final Fantasy Electric Boogaloo...they may make different non-rpg games that aren't great, but at least they don't keep shoving the characters into a square shaped hole.

AgentJGV

Smash Journeyman
How many of Squares games include the same character in every game? Cloud isn't in every final fantasy, nor Final Fantasy Racing, Final Fantasy Tennis, Final Fantasy Electric Boogaloo...they may make different non-rpg games that aren't great, but at least they don't keep shoving the characters into a square shaped hole.
I lulzed nicely put Mic

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
My only point is Sonic being in a game doesn't make it bad. The game being bad makes it bad. I don't see what overexposing the character has to do with that.

Mewter

Smash Master
Sonic 360= Shadow the Hedgehog 2:laugh:

In my opinion, Sonic didn't do anything. It was all Shadow and Silver.

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
More OoT this morning leading up to EPISODE 38 TONIGHT!

Hoping to get through the Shadow and Spirit Temples.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
My only point is Sonic being in a game doesn't make it bad. The game being bad makes it bad.
And the main character can affect the game being bad or not. Would Soul Calibur be as good if Mickey Mouse was in it? No. Would Mario Kart be as good if Gordon Freeman and Sub Zero was in it? No, it's ridiculous, and so's Sonic in a sword-based game. It'd be like Sonic in a 3rd person shooter. Oh wait, that's been done, and it was ridiculous, a large part of the forced gameplay of guns into a Sonic game. Would it be better if the game was just focused on the gunplay and remove the 'sonic'-ness of it? More than likely. This game, if it wasn't Sonic-y, could be a good contender to things like Prince of Persia, instead it'll be a failure due to mixed game styles.

/walloftext

Top Bottom