• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Metaknight be Banned? **Take 2** (Post-podcast)

Should Metaknight be banned?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
most likely in friendlys and such
so he cant be that great

p.s. in thread derailment news, meh is now an official word in the dictionary

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
most likely in friendlys and such
so he cant be that great

p.s. in thread derailment news, meh is now an official word in the dictionary
http://www.newser.com/story/42859/meh-add-it-to-the-dictionary.html

Wow, he wasn't kidding.

That's pretty cool, I use it all the time in real speech anyways.

OnTopic: Everytime I see the Yes go to 60%, I wonder "Wow, it jumped", only to realise that I forgot that the result earlier ws only 59%

Don't know why, but I keep thinking it's something along the lines of 51%.

lol.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Lol, Inui, Azen said Sonic counters you, and he's a top level player, like better than you so obviously he would be right and you would be wrong. :)

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Wasn't w00t added to the dictionary last year too?

Master Knight DH

Smash Journeyman
God Master, you must really fail hard at this game.
God Bento, you must really fail hard at debates.

He did it before, and we beat him down with data.

The thing is, his experience is wifi, where Pit's arrows are a great deal more powerful then IRL.
You mean data that claims the average reaction time in Smash communities is ridiculous? Yeah, that's great data to go by.

And Pit's arrows are abusive OFF of Wifi.

whaaaaaaaaat I play on wifi because I never have anyone else to play with and Pit's arrows are LESS good because they're harder to aim, and if you're good enough to aim them (in which case they ARE better, but only because you can't see them coming) despite the lag then you should also be able to predict where they're going (i.e., usually at you and you can just airdodge or roll through them) "great deal" yeah right
We can at least agree that the arrows are LESS good online, and also that pro-ban people are generally bandwagoners.

Inui: What he means is, it's hard to powershield and dodge arrows online.
I agree with him. Online, you have to predictively powershield crap, and against something like Pit's arrows, you'll more likely get hit than not. And Pit's arrows are overpowered online.

:ohwell:
just add online to any of his arguments and everything makes more sense.
You can't react to them offline.

i'm only an average player, but i've read a lot of the opinions posted on smashboards, and blogs. i voted yes, but i'm torn. metaknight is fun and brings a lot of adrenaline to any match.

buuut... bottom line: this isn't melee, execution is no longer 99% of the game. now you have to be able to exploit match ups and stages. only with mk involved, you can't counterpick anything effectively, hence he breaks the counterpick system, hence he breaks the game.

i foresee a lot more metaknights cropping up as people come to realize the impact character selection has in a skill-unfriendly game like brawl.
I'm not sure execution isn't a suitable deal of the game, assuming Pit's arrows would be toned down or banned granted.

i think every character should be banned except for captain falcon and ganondorf, that way, every single match is fair, and they will all be epic.
I think only Pit and G&W, if anybody, should be banned. And there's no way the game will degenerate to a flipping clone who multiplies the bad points of the original's moves by like 20.

lol stop playing Wi-Fi
I don't have to.

Arrow spam is broken on Wi-Fi.
It's broken OFF Wi-Fi.

meh, i don't ever play wifi if i want a serious match. its a whole different game, 20 frames of lag on wifi for any move really messes up defensive characters, while offensive characters thrive on it.
20? Okay, now you can just-

(Technical difficulties. We will return you to your regularly scheduled post shortly.)

Stop bloody exaggerating. And Pit's arrow spam would be less dangerous on Wi-Fi.

Oh, you say it helps offensive characters. The funny thing is, Meta Knight is frequently used as an offensive character. He would be broken if he isn't already. But guess what. I can use just Pit, no B moves, to destroy Meta Knights on Wi-Fi.

You just handed me the debate.

y does everyone want to ban metaknight?
Because it's the popular thing. It's stupid, really. The popular thing with girls in the San Francisco Bay Area is to hate me always and forever. Is that smart? Heck no.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
You mean data that claims the average reaction time in Smash communities is ridiculous? Yeah, that's great data to go by.

And Pit's arrows are abusive OFF of Wifi.
Dude, if you think those reaction times are ridiculous, you would never survive as a Martial Artist or a competative gamer.

"You're too slow" takes on a very literal meaning here, react faster.

You can't react to them offline.
Lol, *powershields arrows on reaction*, *does it again*

I'm a Marth, powershield walking is part of what we do against projectiles like this.

Some projectiles we Jab walk.

Powershielding projectiles isn't hard, except on Wifi, you've just got to get better.

BentoBox

Smash Master
There is nothing to debate. Everybody but you seems to have found a way around arrow spamming. Try walking, it works wonders.

Oh, and getting better seems to work well too.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
wow, way to be a tool
Wow, way to not understand. >_>
It's called the appeal to authority fallacy some, like Inui, always use. I was making fun/teasing him. Seriously, if you'd even learned reading comprehension, you would've seen I wasn't serious. -_-"

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
the MK debate is being put on hold at least until after this weekend cause the upcoming tourneys will give people more ammo to debate with

its funny, with the new exception of atomsk, i dont see many of these Azen mainers play more than 1 of the more technical characters. sonic diddy pit, oli...

Nic64

Smash Lord
Just flick your C stick repeatedly <_<
hey now, olimar is tough

you have to grab every now and then too, you have any idea how hard that mix up is? :D

OverLade

Smash Hero
hey now, olimar is tough

you have to grab every now and then too, you have any idea how hard that mix up is? :D
That along Up B and Utilt spam makes for an extremely hard to use character.

That's why Olimars arent beating metas, because we need MORE GOOD OLIMARS. But the amount of skill necessary makes it difficult. Don't be discouraged though.

gantrain05

Smash Master
i think master knight should record himself fighting against a lvl 3 cpu so we can laugh at him getting 3 stocked......"ZOMG I CAN'T GET AWAY FROM THESE ARROWS THEY ARE TOO BROKEN"

Master Knight DH

Smash Journeyman
Dude, if you think those reaction times are ridiculous, you would never survive as a Martial Artist or a competative gamer.
Either stop talking like you should be able to beat Meta Knight in Samurai Kirby on HARD difficulty just to apparently hope to have a Competence Zone pass in the competitive scene, or don't ban Meta Knight. At least one of the two. Preferably both.

"You're too slow" takes on a very literal meaning here, react faster.
I am not too slow. Projectiles shouldn't have to require so much effort to dodge.

Lol, *fails to powershield arrows on reaction*, *gets slammed by fair*
Fixed for great justice.

I'm a Marth, powershield walking is part of what we do against projectiles like this.
Oh, you mean by making moves that are punishable.

Some projectiles we Jab walk.
And when you jab, you get dash-attacked.

Powershielding projectiles isn't hard, except on Wifi, you've just got to get better.
Do you even need to powershield projectiles except Pit's?

There is nothing to debate. Everybody but you seems to have found a way around arrow spamming. Try walking, it works wonders.
Right. More damage for Pit to deal on top of being more vulnerable to a dash attack? That doesn't work.

Conclusively

Smash Journeyman
Arrows are not that hard to avoid. Lern2shield. Honestly. There's more than one way at approaching a Pit. SHAD? Shield Dashing? Arrows were annoying the first couple months of Brawl. Learn what a shield button is, then come back and try complaining some more.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I powershield a lot of projectiles. Pit's are pretty annoying but nowhere near "omg I can't block it or dodge it!" Pit's arrows also have a pretty noticeable cooldown after firing, so uh... yeah.

Projectiles shouldn't have to require so much effort to dodge.
Falco's SHL, Melee.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
The Japanese version reads Metaknight, the US version reads Meta Knight.
There's other dissimilarities as well, like Olimar & Pikmin vs Olimar.

Master Knight DH

Smash Journeyman
Arrows are not that hard to avoid.
Yes they are.

Lern2shield.
You fail at giving decent advice forever.

Honestly.
You mean telling me something I can do well enough is the best advice you can give me.

There's more than one way at approaching a Pit.
Oh yeah. Then name one that Pit won't punish.

Arrow holdup. You're zapped when you get out of the airdodge.

Shield Dashing?
Which gets you dash attacked.

Arrows were annoying the first couple months of Brawl.
Funnily enough, you meet up with mostly amateurs for Pits.

Learn what a shield button is, then come back and try complaining some more.
You learn what a shield button is, then come back and try complaining some more about Meta Knight.

I powershield a lot of projectiles.
How many of them are from competent Pits?

Pit's are pretty annoying but nowhere near "omg I can't block it or dodge it!"
That's just garbage. Pit can hold up the arrow and you need RIDICULOUS reaction time to dodge or powershield.

Pit's arrows also have a pretty noticeable cooldown after firing, so uh... yeah.
They don't have bad cooldown. Pit can still dash attack right after firing.

Falco's SHL, Melee.
Airdodge. Oh, what? Melee's airdodge is what you expect? Melee's airdodge also neutralized issues with bad recoveries such as Ness's PSI Thunder. It deserved to go. The end.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Thank you Shadowlink, that was getting painful to read...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom