• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should IC chaingrabs be allowed in tournaments?

Slithe

Smash Apprentice
I think it depends on the stage you're battling on. Stages such as Bridge of Eldin I think it would be unfair on because of the flat surface that runs across the stage, thus making the chaingrab inescapable; but that stage has been banned for such purposes like infinite chaingrabs such as the ICs and King D3's for instance. I'd check the SBR recommended rule list first to see what stages would pose a problem for this sort of thing, then argue your point.

Oracle

Smash Master
The IC chaingrab is always inescapable if done right.

I think it should be kept in because it's not that broken.

Lovely

Smash Lord
Only chain grab that should be banned from the Ice Climbers is "D-Throw, F-Air, D-Throw, F-Air, D-Smash" it will get you to around 60% in no time flat. Ok I'm just kidding, banning the Ice Climbers chain grab is like banning camping from the tournaments.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
I hate that grab- but it doesn't belong in the ban column. Metaknight should sooner be banned from tournaments than the Ice Climber's chain grab. It doesn't make sense! Hylian brought up great points at the beginning of the topic, but I thought of some of my own on things that can prevent this.

1. Tripping- Both Popo and Nana are succeptible to this, giving you twice the chance to trip, only one of them has to trip to mess this up. This isn't majorly likely to happen but it could.

2. Nana is dead/separated- yes this happens quite often as Nana is a much easier target than Popo. Characters with great range like Marth can really knock Nana out quickly and change the game around.

3. Counterpick stages with different heights/obstacles. Obviously this grab works great at Smashville, Battlefield, and FD. But what about Lylat, Castle Siege, Norfair, Brinstar, Halberd, Delfino, Hanenbow, Pokemon Stadium 1, Pokemon Stadium 2? That is more than enough stages to mess them up. They can perform it for a little while at a few of these stages, but it will be difficult.

4. Ice Climbers error- This is a high error ratio effort! People wil not do this perfectly everytime, there will be a mess up. Especially under pressure.

5. Don't get grabbed- people know well enough that the Ice Climbers grab is dangerous and keep their distance and using characters and stages that are great for spacing against the IC. People will expect the grab, and IC will not get to use it every 10 seconds if the player has half a brain and some kind of talent.

If you ban this, you need to also ban:

-Dedede chain grab
-Falco chain grab
-any stage that has a wall or can have a wall (pictochat, rainbow cruise, corneria, pokemon stadium 1)
-any stage that doesn't have pitfalls (mario circuit, green hill zone, Onett, yoshi's Island (melee), Castle Siege)
-Metaknight altogether

My $0.02

OverLade

Smash Hero
I saw we should ban MK's nado and all other infinites if we ban this. Otherwise, just leave it, a lot of people can't pull it off consistently anyway, and you CAN avoid being grabbed.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
ics are such a good character it should be banned i mean they're already ****** everything and wrecking everyone in high level tournaments so clearly this will only imbalance them further not only that but infinites are gay and if you resort to them you're a gigantic noob and nobody will respect you as a player and you'll never get anywhere. even if you win it won't mean anything because infinites = no skill.

in the meantime i'm gonna go play metaknight and use my ultra aerial priority and range and multiple jumps to cover air-dodge possibilities and form pseudo-combos and **** with my amazing combos and then i'll copy m2k's style and become good. btw meta's not gay.

Top Bottom