• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Short Hop" or "Small Jump"

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
I'd rather tech off a wall then Ukemi off a wall XD

I'll probably keep calling it Short Hop

Anth0ny

Smash Master
I'm going to keep using short hot. It's a common fan term that I've learned and used for a while, like using "shine" instead of reflector.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
this man is correct, it's just analog jump (hold it down longer for bigger jump) as apposed to a digital, hit jump = standard hight jump.

I think it's funny, everyone is talking like this is a new name but I bet they've been calling it this since the original smash. It could be a rough translation but I doubt it. Everyone is like "our term is older fools" but I bet it isn't, we were just ignorant about the official name until now. Why so resistant to change? Noobs cry about them all being real moves, but it's equally hilarious to all the pros saying " that name is the gay, I will cry and call it whatever the hell I named it" I mean seriously?
The situation isn't nearly so dire as you make it seem. No one feels pressured to use a new name now that Sakurai has presented one.

Fox's down b is called reflector, but we call it shine. The same will hold true here.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
As much as I'd rather use Small Jump and Ukemi, I'll stick to Short Hop and Tech, only because they are easier and more convenient to use in speech.

However, I still think Final Smashes should be called BACONs.

Off topic: Orlandu, your sig owns....so hard.

courte

Smash Lord
more importantly joke of the day

UKEMI? UKEMI!! V. JOE FOR BRAWL!!

well the term didn't begin with smash right?? so i'll just do it and not worry about the name

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I think the real reason is that the English translator can't be arsed to look up the names of the things he's trying to talk about. He misnamed techs, Powershielding, phantom hits, and short hops. It makes me wonder if Sakurai got the Japanese for these right, and his translator is just an idiot, or Sakurai didn't mention that players already had words for a lot of this, or both.

He did get Pivot Grab, though.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Simple answer. Because the "pros" and tourney players use the term short hop. Most of the people who were against any for of advanced technique will clamor for small jumping. And I find it funny that the some argue "Short hop? then what is a long hop?" Well whats a big jump?

Anyway the fans have already named this technique so they'll stick with it. Sakurai's word is not law to my like the people who like to plug "the way Sakurai intended" as often as "Melee 2.0"
You are in-correct there.

A jump is a jump. . . it can be long or short/ high or low. A HOP is defined as a short JUMP. . . you can't "shortly jump high" and you can't "shortly shortly jump/ Shortly jump shortly (Short Hop)" because the word hop already has a limated meaning relative to the word jump.

Just like a jog is defined as a slow run. You can't jog fast because than you would be running and to say you where "slowly jogging" (as I wrote it) would be wrong because the slowly part is already apart of the word.

You also can't dash slowly or have a soft rage. . .:dizzy:

I might suck at spelling but I did learn a good bit in english class.:ohwell:

2L84U

Smash Journeyman
I think the real reason is that the English translator can't be arsed to look up the names of the things he's trying to talk about. He misnamed techs, Powershielding, phantom hits, and short hops. It makes me wonder if Sakurai got the Japanese for these right, and his translator is just an idiot, or Sakurai didn't mention that players already had words for a lot of this, or both.

He did get Pivot Grab, though.
Small Jump as in "小ジャンプ"
Yes, he got it correct.
And the power shield thing wrote "JUST SHIELD" in Japanese.
The translator probably made a better name for it.

As for Ukemi, its the direct verbal translation from the JP name.
Just like "Kung Fu" and such.

Well, I'll probably say "Small Jump, AKA Short Hop" from now.
"Ukemi, AKA teching"
"Perfect Shield, AKA Power Shield"

EDIT: Tether was known as "Wire Recovery" in JP. The translator did think of the term before translating.

Ichida

Smash Ace
"Small Jump" is now the official term. Anyone using "short hop" at this point is either ignorant or just in denial that the "secret technique" has been institutionalized. :p

Terrorcon Blot

Smash Journeyman
I hate the term "short hop" because people try to pass it off as an advanced technique. It's not. It's a basic element in just about any game that involves jumping. Are you trying to tell me that "Super Mario Bros." was a highly technical game?
I always wondered when someone would point that out. It's a common feature in pratically any game with platforming, and yet it gets a special name in this one. PRETENTIOUSNESS CONFIRMED FOR BRAWL

Tabris-

Smash Apprentice
SAKURAI DIDN'T GIVE ADVANCED TECHNIQUES THE SAME NAMES THAT THE TOURNEY PLAYERS MADE UP, THEREFORE HE IS EITHER WRONG OR HIS TRANSLATOR IS A MORON FOR NOT USING THE NAMES WE MADE UP. WE MADE NAMES FOR TECHNIQUES ALREADY IN THE GAME THEREFORE WE ARE RIGHT AND NOT THE PEOPLE WHO DEVELOPED THE GAME!
I fixed your post for you.

Kittah4

Smash Ace
I see double standards. What was tether recovery called "before"? Grappling? And now tethering has easily slid into the lingo.

As a term to recover from falls, "tech" makes no sense. It's basically short for "technique". So you've basically given a technique a non-name. As for my group, we always just called it "recovering", as we called recovering "making it back". But if Ukemi is the proper term, then that it is. I just want to know what that word translates to, or conveys the feeling of.

Renaming Powershielding kind of makes sense, since you're not shielding harder, you're shielding with perfect timing. Japan has used "just" techniques for a long time in games, whereas the language for that makes less since here.

And I never once saw "phantom hit" as a part of any official lingo. Glancing blow makes a whole lot more sense.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Umm...

You guys realize that the words on there are simply literal translations of Japanese words.

The word "phantom hit" has been around for awhile, I think it was partly because we thought it was a glitch in the game.

stepmaniers13

Smash Cadet
What are you, an idiot? Like Sakurai or the translators care that you discovered wavedashing or named every freaking move that is "advanced." He had names for these techniques and he is the one making the **** game. You want to call him and the translators wrong because you had a name for these techniques already?
That's stupid.

And Ukemi reminds me of Viewtiful Joe.

Coselm

Smash Ace
You are in-correct there.

A jump is a jump. . . it can be long or short/ high or low. A HOP is defined as a short JUMP. . . you can't "shortly jump high" and you can't "shortly shortly jump/ Shortly jump shortly (Short Hop)" because the word hop already has a limated meaning relative to the word jump.

Just like a jog is defined as a slow run. You can't jog fast because than you would be running and to say you where "slowly jogging" (as I wrote it) would be wrong because the slowly part is already apart of the word.

You also can't dash slowly or have a soft rage. . .:dizzy:

I might suck at spelling but I did learn a good bit in english class.:ohwell:
"Short hop" is a correct english term and not redundant at all. And you CAN jog slowly or jog quickly. So these words don't have "limated"(thats how you spelled it) meanings in that sense.

But the reason the translator called them short jump is because he is ummm... a translator?

He is translating words from japanese to english. Just because one man called a technique something different then what we call it is no reason to change the way we have things named. t would be far too confusing to change every smashers vocabulary, so why don't we just drop it and lock it?

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
"Small Jump" is now the official term. Anyone using "short hop" at this point is either ignorant or just in denial that the "secret technique" has been institutionalized. :p

Although we have what is said to be "official" names for these techniques, most people (at least the vets on SmashBoards) just aren't going to call them by these names. Take the "Shine" for example: It was even named after the official name was revealed for a long time, yet, people still decided to use it. So with something that people have already gotten used to calling for over half a decade, it's not going to be called something different.
But I do think the term "Short Hop" is redundant, for the reasons that Black/Light said. Why did they decide to use "Hop" instead of "Jump" in the first place?

Black/Light

Smash Master
"Short hop" is a correct english term and not redundant at all. And you CAN jog slowly or jog quickly. So these words don't have "limated"(thats how you spelled it) meanings in that sense.

But the reason the translator called them short jump is because he is ummm... a translator?

He is translating words from japanese to english. Just because one man called a technique something different then what we call it is no reason to change the way we have things named. t would be far too confusing to change every smashers vocabulary, so why don't we just drop it and lock it?
Did I or did I not say "(as I wrote it)" for the slowly jog part? You can use the word slowly to describe the speed of a jog or use a word like "speedy" to describe a jog
(You can drive a car with your feet. . .but that doesn't mean its the right thing to do)
but to jog, by definition, is to run or ride at a slow trot so there is no need for the word slowly and the the word speedy shoudln't be used. . . .the word jog lets you know it's not a fast run but it's not a walk.

Yes, words do have limited (As said, suck at spelling) meanings or use relative to other words in this case. When you say "short hop" you ARE saying "Short short jump/ short small jump" by today's mainstream use of the word. The word hop is made to describe a small jump there for the word "short" is not needed because it's apart of the word's meaning and the word "long" SHOULDN'T be use because if it's not a small jump than it's not a hop.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Small Jump as in "小ジャンプ"
Yes, he got it correct.
And the power shield thing wrote "JUST SHIELD" in Japanese.
The translator probably made a better name for it.

As for Ukemi, its the direct verbal translation from the JP name.
Just like "Kung Fu" and such.

Well, I'll probably say "Small Jump, AKA Short Hop" from now.
"Ukemi, AKA teching"
"Perfect Shield, AKA Power Shield"

EDIT: Tether was known as "Wire Recovery" in JP. The translator did think of the term before translating.
I can read Japanese, thank you. I'm just making an offhand comment that the translator is making up his own jargon despite jargon already existing. I think it makes him look like an idiot, because some of the words he came up with really are stupid. I didn't expect people to take such umbrage.

I personally don't understand why I'm getting flamed for an offhand comment that isn't even really directed at Sakurai himself, but rather at the translator. I can't understand defending Sakurai's every action to begin with, but defending his translator is just absurd. It's like everyone at Nintendo is a perfect being who is incapable of error, and to suggest otherwise is heresy. That's kind of insane.

As for me, I foresee these words simply arising as a mark of a n00b. As with all jargon, the words used by the competitive community will be badges of membership therein, and the Dojo words will elicit giggles and an amused correction. For this reason, I'll continue to use the words I've always used.

Yes, words do have limited (As said, suck at spelling) meanings or use relative to other words in this case. When you say "short hop" you ARE saying "Short short jump/ short small jump" by today's mainstream use of the word.
Take note. The emphasis on the phrase is "SHORT hop." It is not equal emphasis. This indicates that the phrase is not two lexical items, but rather one item. Thus, its meaning is defined independently from either of the composite words. Any argument of semantics is moot, because it's one lexeme with one meaning.

ShibsZSS

Smash Rookie
Kind of off topic, but how does the brawl short jump hop whatever youre calling it compare to melee? Is it not noticeably different? And is it any easier or harder to do on the classic controller as opposed to the gamecube controller?

Kittah4

Smash Ace
As for me, I foresee these words simply arising as a mark of a n00b. As with all jargon, the words used by the competitive community will be badges of membership therein, and the Dojo words will elicit giggles and an amused correction. For this reason, I'll continue to use the words I've always used.
This paragraph is where people will take offense. You'll use your jargon just to rise yourself to the point of "elitism". People have already gotten used to "tether" for such recoveries. Thats a dojo term.

But you know, maybe you're right. The competitive community will continue to look elitist by their advocating of "their" jargon, their teching (short for technique, this "tech" doesn't have a name!) and short hopping (as opposed to long hopping?) and (insert basic technique name here)-canceling.

But you shouldn't "correct" someone for using a term used on the official english site for SSBB. Because its the competitive community with their made-up jargon who are, officially, incorrect.

Black/Light

Smash Master
I personally don't understand why I'm getting flamed for an offhand comment that isn't even really directed at Sakurai himself, but rather at the translator. I can't understand defending Sakurai's every action to begin with, but defending his translator is just absurd. It's like everyone at Nintendo is a perfect being who is incapable of error, and to suggest otherwise is heresy. That's kind of insane.
Silly guy, we all know everyone at nintendo IS perfect:p
Their the candy-land to our sugar needs so they have to be perfect.;)

No matter how you flip it I would take the term/ name for something given by a Nintendo translator over that of a buch of forum members. Just like I call tripping tripping and not "Ink dropping" (atleast untill it gets a official name). Also very much like Im going to say "Ukemi" over "teching" (never got how the hell that was nick named "teching").

Take note. The emphasis on the phrase is "SHORT hop." It is not equal emphasis. This indicates that the phrase is not two lexical items, but rather one item. Thus, its meaning is defined independently from either of the composite words. Any argument of semantics is moot, because it's one lexeme with one meaning.
The whole point was to point out that yes, "short" is not needed. Never said they couldn't be said together like that, just that it's a redundant part of the phase and adds nothing to the word "hop" nor is it a better word in place of just saying "hop".

Egret

Smash Journeyman
I think I'll go for "salto piccolo," sounds better than both and straight from the DOJO.

d

SirPsychoMantis

Smash Apprentice
I'll probably stick with short hop since I'm used to saying it, but I might start saying ukemi just because it sounds cooler.

Really it doesn't matter what becomes more popular or "correct", whatever you say people will still understand.

Sir James

The Doctor
People have been using the term "short hop" for so many years. I really doubt people will go make it a point to change it just because it was worded differently on the Dojo. Some players may call it "small jump", but like others have stated, it's hard to be confused by the two terms. It really doesn't matter which one you use.

Zek

Smash Ace
Short hop sounds better IMHO. But it doesn't matter because everybody will know what you're talking about either way.

XACE-K

Smash Master
I'm used to short hop but I would use either one. It depends on which one rolls off the tounge first.

Xane

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XaneFeather
3DS FC
3866-8124-2065
"Small Jump" just sounds strange to me~
But I'll try to call all other techniques by Sakura's given names as much as possible. :>

Tabris-

Smash Apprentice
I personally don't understand why I'm getting flamed for an offhand comment that isn't even really directed at Sakurai himself, but rather at the translator.
I'm just making an offhand comment that the translator is making up his own jargon despite jargon already existing. I think it makes him look like an idiot, because some of the words he came up with really are stupid.
That's why you were getting flamed. The jargon was made up by the fan community, you can't expect the translator (and by extension, Sakurai) to know the fan jargon and then call the translator an idiot for not using it. Especially since tournament level Smash is such an obscure and niche part of the market (relatively). Second, the names for the techniques posted on the dojo are just as ridiculous and silly as the ones posted here.

Tabris-

Smash Apprentice
Anyway, to answer the OP's question, I'm just going to say, call it what you want. Most of the tourney lingo is just to make things a bit shorter or easier to say. There's practically no difference between short hop and short jump, so saying either won't really make much difference.

Rauzaruke

Smash Apprentice
Wow guys. Saying either wouldn't make a difference since everyone knows what you'd be talking about. Let the people say it how they want. :/

Terrorcon Blot

Smash Journeyman

Although we have what is said to be "official" names for these techniques, most people (at least the vets on SmashBoards) just aren't going to call them by these names. Take the "Shine" for example: It was even named after the official name was revealed for a long time, yet, people still decided to use it. So with something that people have already gotten used to calling for over half a decade, it's not going to be called something different.
But I do think the term "Short Hop" is redundant, for the reasons that Black/Light said. Why did they decide to use "Hop" instead of "Jump" in the first place?
You know, I never did like calling it the "shine". But that's only because I really liked Star Fox 64 and was used to calling it a Reflector since then.

SD3

Smash Rookie
My vote: "Small Jump". Why? If the Dojo's terms become official, newcomers to the professional scene will already know some of the terminology, instead of having to switch from what the official site tells them to the "correct" lingo. So unless professional players want more confused newcomers around, the Dojo terms should become the standard.

Top Bottom