• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Short Hop" or "Small Jump"

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
My vote: "Small Jump". Why? If the Dojo's terms become official, newcomers to the professional scene will already know some of the terminology, instead of having to switch from what the official site tells them to the "correct" lingo. So unless professional players want more confused newcomers around, the Dojo terms should become the standard.
Or... tell them to tough it up, since if you can't see the correlation between "short hop" and "small jump" you're probably not intelligent enough to be playing video games in the first place. Short hop is easier to say and just in general sounds better. It is the "official" term as far as I'm concerned. Sakurai and random nubs can call it whatever they want. No one ever said we had to be restrained by the official terms.

Which brings "ukemi" into the equation. Why the freak would I change the term I've been using for years that I've come used to saying and that everyone knows what it means... to something that not only doesn't roll off the tongue as easily but unless they've been checking the dojo every day the person I was talking to would not even know what the term was? Teching>ukemi.

I'm fairly neutral on the phantom hit vs glancing blow thing simply because it doesn't come up often enough to matter. I will still probably call it a phantom hit, though. It sounds cooler, that's for sure.

Oh, and I'm simply loving all these "tether recovery" arguments. Yeah, um... that's great and all, except for the fact that we didn't have a widely accepted name for their use in general. In melee, it was either the grapple for samus, or the hookshot for link/ylink. This type of recovery didn't have a special name. At least until it was revealed on the dojo that there were multiple characters that used this type of recovery method. Furthermore, "tether" isn't exactly a mouthful, and wasn't really difficult to incorporate into common smash talk.

When it all comes down to it, sakurai is only the person who made the game. It's our game to play, so I think we have the right to call things whatever the freak we want. Nothing ever stopped us from using "shine" instead of "reflector." Why should we change our terms for sakurai?

Ichida

Smash Ace
Short hop is easier to say and just in general sounds better. It is the "official" term as far as I'm concerned. Sakurai and random nubs can call it whatever they want. No one ever said we had to be restrained by the official terms.

Which brings "ukemi" into the equation. Why the freak would I change the term I've been using for years that I've come used to saying and that everyone knows what it means... to something that not only doesn't roll off the tongue as easily but unless they've been checking the dojo every day the person I was talking to would not even know what the term was? Teching>ukemi.
This also goes out to anyone who chooses to ignore the official terms.

Admitting you're wrong and continuing to use the jargon = denial. Games are about adaptation. Face it, the terms you've been using have been pasted over. Just because your "secret techniques" are no longer "underground tricks" doesn't mean you have to be so stubborn about it. Also, someone new to the game is more likely to know "Ukemi" from Dojo than "teching" from advanced boards like this.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
This also goes out to anyone who chooses to ignore the official terms.

Admitting you're wrong and continuing to use the jargon = denial. Games are about adaptation. Face it, the terms you've been using have been pasted over. Just because your "secret techniques" are no longer "underground tricks" doesn't mean you have to be so stubborn about it. Also, someone new to the game is more likely to know "Ukemi" from Dojo than "teching" from advanced boards like this.
Yeah? So they have to relearn one or two terms. Big deal. As if that didn't happen in melee.

I don't think you get it. The only thing sakurai did was make the game. The community is what plays it. Therefore, whatever sakurai did or did not intend doesn't matter. All that matters is what we do with the game. We as a community established terms for these techniques long ago, and we will continue to use them. No one calls fox's or falco's shines reflectors. And in an even more obscure example, no one calls fox's uair the "McCloud Flip" (I actually had to go look up the official name for that move). They just call it... fox's up air. Jargon is to be expected in a community such as this, and to think that people who have been using the terms for years will so easily conform is a form of denial, itself.

You've yet to give me a good reason to use the new terms, or why anyone should switch, except for "sakurai said so."

Terrorcon Blot

Smash Journeyman
I call Fox's Reflector a Reflector. Calling it a "shine" just sounds dumb. "Oooh...Fox make the pretty shine shine".

WoapGang

Mighty Soul of Woapgang
3DS FC
3411-2904-8277
If we use one, we have to use ALL of them....and i don't think anyone wants to call a tech an "Ukemi"

F@lc0-san

Smash Ace
What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;

-Romeo and Juliet
And thats all there is too it.

If newcommers say: "Wow, that was an awesome mini jump speed fall attack"

You know what they mean.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Silly guy, we all know everyone at nintendo IS perfect:p
Their the candy-land to our sugar needs so they have to be perfect.;)
I suppose this is the most sensible reason. :)

No matter how you flip it I would take the term/ name for something given by a Nintendo translator over that of a buch of forum members. Just like I call tripping tripping and not "Ink dropping" (atleast untill it gets a official name). Also very much like Im going to say "Ukemi" over "teching" (never got how the hell that was nick named "teching").
I actually think "Ink drop" is a ridiculously stupid name, no offense to Inks. I don't use it, and every use of it I've seen has been either ironic, or by someone who doesn't actually understand the mechanic at all.

"Tech" is actually a word that's been in fighting games since at least SFIII, as I recall. In that game, it was used to describe something more like a powershield, but it's now used almost universally for techniques that involve quick recovery from an opponent's attack. This is why of all of the words that the translator invented, Ukemi is the silliest. There's already a well-established, widely used word for it, so why make up another.

I also expect you to be saying "strong attack" instead of tilt from now on.

The whole point was to point out that yes, "short" is not needed. Never said they couldn't be said together like that, just that it's a redundant part of the phase and adds nothing to the word "hop" nor is it a better word in place of just saying "hop".
No, that's not the point. The point is that it is a separate lexeme. That is, its meaning doesn't even need to be derived from the component morphemes. Does "redneck" have anything to do with necks that are red?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's why you were getting flamed. The jargon was made up by the fan community, you can't expect the translator (and by extension, Sakurai) to know the fan jargon and then call the translator an idiot for not using it. Especially since tournament level Smash is such an obscure and niche part of the market (relatively). Second, the names for the techniques posted on the dojo are just as ridiculous and silly as the ones posted here.
You see, I can see how people would go after me for this if I were actually offended by this. In fact, I was making fun of the translator. I feel like some people reacted with a bit too much vitriol for a little jab at someone who is frankly of little or no importance to them.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I never called it the redundant name of Short Hop in the first place so it's not changed for me...

I'm going to call it Short Jump because that sounds best to me

"Fox make pretty shine shine" - I found that funny for some reason...

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
um

SHFF vs. SJFF

obviously short hop, because it's pronounceable XD

Goldkirby

Smash Ace
Small Jump as in "小ジャンプ"
Yes, he got it correct.
And the power shield thing wrote "JUST SHIELD" in Japanese.
The translator probably made a better name for it.

As for Ukemi, its the direct verbal translation from the JP name.
Just like "Kung Fu" and such.

Well, I'll probably say "Small Jump, AKA Short Hop" from now.
"Ukemi, AKA teching"
"Perfect Shield, AKA Power Shield"

EDIT: Tether was known as "Wire Recovery" in JP. The translator did think of the term before translating.
Hmm, interesting thing about that shield being called Just Shield. I don't know how many of you play other fighting games, but there is something in CvS2 and Mark of the Wolves called "Just Defense" which is basically the same concept as Just shielding. If you block right before they attack, you get less frames of block stun, thus allowing you to counter attack with the right moves.

However we will have to see how much frame advantage there is after "Just" Shielding to see if it acts more like a parry from SF3:3s or more like a Just defend.

Top Bottom