• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shigeru Miyamoto confirms a Live-Action Zelda Movie is in the works

Zelda_movie.jpg

Shigeru Miyamoto confirmed that a live-action Zelda movie is in the works. The movie will be directed by Wes Ball and produced by Avi Arad. You can check out the official announcement at this link. You can find a snippet of the announcement below:

Nintendo Co., Ltd. (HQ: Kyoto Minami-ku; Representative Director and President: Shuntaro Furukawa, "Nintendo" hereafter) today announced that it will develop a live-action film of The Legend of Zelda.

The film will be produced by Shigeru Miyamoto, Representative Director and Fellow of Nintendo and Avi Arad, Chairman of Arad Productions Inc., who has produced many mega hit films.

The film will be produced by Nintendo and Arad Productions Inc., and directed by Wes Ball. The film will be co-financed by Nintendo and Sony Pictures Entertainment Inc., with more than 50% financed by Nintendo. The theatrical distribution of the film will be done worldwide by Sony Pictures Entertainment Inc.
It seems that the success of the Mario means we’ll be getting more movies based on beloved Nintendo IPs, and not just animated ones like this year’s Super Mario Bros. movie. We can only wait and see how the Zelda movie turns out.

Credits:
Writing:
Sari Sari
Editing:@Thirdkoopa
Thumbnail Graphic: Zerp Zerp
Social Media: Zerp Zerp

Author’s Note: Well this certainly… came out of nowhere. I’m still taking this in so I don’t know how to properly react. But what do you guys think of this announcement? Also, what other Nintendo franchise would you like to see get the movie treatment? Let us know in the comments below!

Sari

Comments

Hopefully, the movie isn't too screwed by Avi Arad (snap-snap) and it'll still be a good movie

P.S. Wonder if anyone can figure out where the obscure reference I put in comes from

Last edited:
Even though I’m more interested in the idea of an animated Zelda movie, I can see why they went this route instead. Animation like what the Mario movie got is trickier in terms of if it fits for Zelda and expecting it to be an anime movie specifically or bust would be acting too unreasonably with my expectations.

It is possible for a Live Action Zelda movie to be done well. I’ll wait until I see the movie before I pass judgment on it.

Avi Arad, who is producing this movie, also produced Morbius last year.

Just, y'know. Something to chew on.
I'm going to interpret this as meaning there will be a scene where Link will say "It's Zeldin' Time" and then he'll Zeld all over the place! It will be the greatest scene in all of cinema and we're all gonna cry because it's so beautiful.

I'm going to interpret this as meaning there will be a scene where Link will say "It's Zeldin' Time" and then he'll Zeld all over the place! It will be the greatest scene in all of cinema and we're all gonna cry because it's so beautiful.
"It's Ganon Time" Ganondorf says as his smiles widens so large he can swallow God.

While I would have preferred an animated Zelda movie, that's not what I'm hung up on the most.

It's that the distributor for this live-action Zelda movie...is Sony.

That's right. "Owner of the PlayStation family" Sony.

Not only would I have preferred for Universal to distribute the film, considering their association with franchises like How To Train Your Dragon and Back to the Future, but if Miyamoto himself didn't specify that Nintendo would be financing over half the film, I would have dreaded what Sony would do to Zelda FAR more than I would have for Illumination's Mario when that was announced.

For the sake of the entire gaming landscape, PLEASE let this be good!

Interesting that they decided to not only go with a different studio, but have a completely different medium (live action vs animation) to the Mario Movie. I figured that series like Mario and Kirby would get animation while series like Zelda and Metroid would get live action, but I'm also surprised they decided not to streamline it and have them all done in animation by the same studio regardless (so they would have the same animation style, even if there wasn't going to be any crossovers via a full cinematic universe). Cautiously (extreme emphasis on the cautious) optimistic to see how this will turn out, please be good.

Last edited:
Whats my opinion as the resident cartoony zelda fan!
This annoncement is a bit weird to me! I mean Link always has big expresive eyes! Which wouldnt be in this movier sadly!
Also i mean they have to animate like almost all other stuff! So i dunno?
I sure hope that atleast the enemys go into the more fun direction! Because Twilight princesses enemy designs were objectivly awful!
Give me cute looking slimes, octoroks and bats aswell as green tunic link for the first few movies and i can look past live action Link!
Considering the avi arad made a lot of fun movies that makes me hope that the movie has a good balance of zelda epicness and sheer sillyness!
When it comes to the plot i would say go for a rough aproximation of Ocarina of time! As its the best starting point story Wise aswell as having a lot of realisticish areas!
I doubt the movie will be bad as nintendo will probably still take immense care to avoid a loss in quality!

Also BTW considering the Zelda Movie(s) will be live action whats your opinion on a Toon Link Tv Show?

I’m expecting it to be as good as the Mario movie— which is “it’s alright”. Can’t be too terrible with Shiggy breathing down their necks.

I'm somewhat having mixed feelings about having Avi Arad on board to produce the Legend of Zelda live action movie. Sure he had produced a number of decently adapted television cartoons in the 90s from Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four (which I fondly remember during my childhood.)

But in terms of his filmography, he had a produced a number of poorly-received features from Elektra, the Nicholas Cage Ghost Rider films, Daredevil, Ghost in the Shell and especially Morbius. Whilst I do have faith that Shigeru Miyamoto will ensure the right steps are taken, it is questionable to see whether he had picked the right person to produce the project.

Heres a Poster Concept for the Movie:
1699554461751.jpeg

Personalitys:
Link: Brave, Kind and a bit on the quieter side, uses Sword, shield and has a boomerang 17 Years Old
Zelda: Girly, Cutesy, Uses Magic and has a bow 18 years old
Impa: Strong, Is a mentor, Naginata 25 Years Old
Ganondorf: Evil, Has a menacing aura but can also be fun, Has A giant Sword
Ganondorf Minions:
Octoroks and slimes: Cute and CGI
Bats: Real animals
Bokoblins: Small Pigmen
Moblins: Large Pigmen
Gerudo: Have Lances are only incapacitated killed
Gohma: Mid Movie Villain is defeated by bow and boomerang
Darknut: Last chalenge before ganondorf everyone has to fight one!

Top Bottom