• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shield Breaker COmbo development

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
So my bro and i were recently playing some old school smash 64 and remembered the old Shield breaker combo. So tried it out in Brawl and the Dair to Utilt works ok but once their shield is to weak u end up hitting them. No video really all it is, is SH rising Dair on someone who is shielding u and then Utilt facing them. It brings their shield pretty low but there is no move other than jab or grab that comes out fast enough to break the shields without hitting them first.

Ideas suggestions thoughts???? try it urself then help me out plz

kenja0

Smash Apprentice
I usually Spam SH dairs because once their shield gets down, you can pass their shield. But I'm pretty sure if you have a well placed 2nd dair, (aiming directly at the shield's center) you can break the shields of smaller opponents like Jigglypuff.
Although I prefer to Spam SH dairs to push them off the edge, following up with another dair that will spike them.
However, I think you can break shields with the first dair if you weaken it enough beforehand. So what about a combo into dair?

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Hm....I haven't tried it but.....double utilt?

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure you've already thought of that. So....

Why not think of it like this. Instead of being a flat out combo, make it a trap. Either they drop their shield or they hold it up and let it break. If they let it break, insta fully charged fsmash. If they drop their shield, free hit.

I might be wrong about this, but I think usmash is an alright move to use after this. It's powerful enough that it'll either break or severly weaken their shield(where a jab would be enough), or they get pushed back far enough that you won't have to worry about grab...I think. But I am probably wrong on that so don't take my word for it. Just on the spot brainstorming.

Hm....ftilt? Not sure =\

Linkforce

Smash Apprentice
This seems like an great idea.

Thing is, I don't know bout you guys, but I get shield grabbed out of a shielded dair really easily.

But assuming that doesn't happen. The quickest thing I can think of is dash attack. It hits dead center and will definitely pressure a low shield without hitting the person.

I'm with feardragon on this one though. Best make it a trap.

*After testing out a bit, best I could come up with was this:

(Assuming all hits shielded)

Dair > Up Tilt > Jab Cancel (2-hits only) > Ftilt

or

Dash Attack > Jab Cancel > Ftilt.

Prolly not practical though.

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
I got two shield breaks in one round today just by weakening his shield earlier then falling on him with stone. Stone just rips through shields.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
hmmm.... Stone does **** shields

also a buffered dash attack after Dair might also do the trick.

or u could go Dair, SH cancel with Brick

let me try these and get back to uall

Thnx guys for trying and thinking first b4 posting, def helps a lot :)

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
so i found out some things, for one two jabs have to much knock back so they can walk away from the second hit.

Also there is really nothing u can do to combo a shield breaker because in Brawl u can just let go of shield and take the hit. But u can string some moves together to make something pretty effective.
Here we go

But, i did find these three things out. Dair and RunningA both break shields that are down to halfway. Dair needs to be aimed right at their center same goes for tackle.

Also on tall characters like snake or ROB just string two tackles together. It works surprisingly well. U can also mindgame after the first tackle with rock. U dont even have to jump just go tackle to rock, again u have to be right next to them.

Secondly u can go Dair into tackle which is a pretty fast string as well.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Hammer time. It's pretty sexy on shields.

Also Gonzo you are having the dair auto cancel correct? If not I'm pretty sure the opponent can get out during Kirby's landing animation.

Have you tried bair? It has a really vertical hitbox and aiming it right at the small shield won't be that hard. This may also apply to fair which eats away a lot of the shield.

Here's my on the spot shield breaker combo. Auto cancel fair>Immediate Auto cancel dair>bair or fair

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
Hammer time. It's pretty sexy on shields.

Also Gonzo you are having the dair auto cancel correct? If not I'm pretty sure the opponent can get out during Kirby's landing animation.

Have you tried bair? It has a really vertical hitbox and aiming it right at the small shield won't be that hard. This may also apply to fair which eats away a lot of the shield.

Here's my on the spot shield breaker combo. Auto cancel fair>Immediate Auto cancel dair>bair or fair
None of these are technically combos due to the fact that it doesnt "lock" shields like in 64. Also i am ACing the Dair. What about AC Fair into tackle? That might work.

Kirby Magatsu

Smash Journeyman
You already have tried double jab before the utilt?

If the opponent is a Marth, you can suck his ability and use after the Dair, it would be nice =)

psykoplympton

Smash Ace
hell yeah we would own face. i really like this so im gonna put a lot of effort into it this time.

i was just practicing it on jiggs and i was able to completely break the sheild with out actually touching her. heres the sequence:SH dair(not rising dair but right when you get above jiggs and have here sheild while kirbys start up lag is in effect) dtilit (1)jab then fsmash so break the sheild. if your doing what im doing it should break lol

so Shdair- dtilt- jab- fsmash

if i could get vids up i would but unfortunatley i cant but i could send videos from my wii to someone elses and the ycould upload them.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
let me try and see if it works fast enough. The dtilt comes out to slow, instead i've found that when shields are moderatly weakened Dair to Jab breaks shields and tackle also breaks shields, so instead of comboing we should watch their shield strength and then go for a tackle or Dair.

psykoplympton

Smash Ace
him and jiggs are generally the same size. if you do it from behind you cant get sheild grabbed. so it would probably be best to either start from behind or swoop around someone to get behind them.so you dont get punished. but what i did only made it so i never actually hit jiggs only her sheild. just a start. i dont think that the sheild stun is good enough to effectivly make it a combo(or anyother variation) but it could be used just to break down a sheild so if they try to sheild an attack it wont work(they dont got none) just theorizing

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
no defintely a good idea, also u can start gauging the strength of their shields and then when u c a good chance go into tackle or Dair and just aim it so ur very very close to them

psykoplympton

Smash Ace
i just did a good one on snake. heres the thing, i dont know if you knew but it looks like dtilt has IASA frames. so there fore i did this:

SHdair- dtilt- buffer a dash attack broke his sheild. completly. no touching.

SparkEd

Smash Journeyman
IASA: Interruptable As Soon As

Basically lets you do something a tad earlier than the complete cool down time or something... like, say say Kirby has 15 cooldown frames from an attack, an let's assume an IASA Frame is frame 13, he could actually input a command 2 frames earlier and it would register.

Basically skips some of the cool down animation and I know for some characters, every frame counts...

EDIT: I suck at counting

Kirby Magatsu

Smash Journeyman
The best example of IASA cancel is Marth Dtilt > Fsmash (in melee), canceling a good amount of frames.

Kirby Magatsu

Smash Journeyman
Uhh, i haven't see a "IASA frames guide" in brawl yet, it would help a lot, i don't know if Dtilt > Fsmash is good.

EDIT: I don't think that a shield breaker combo can help, only noobs wouldn't dodge or roll from the combos. Anyway, i'll try to find new ways to smash the opponent's shield ;D

Kirby Magatsu

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, between the smashs i prefer Dsmash, he is faster and have a little more duration, then, if the opponent roll back to you, he will be attacked, and if he use dodge you can connect the end of Dsmash, that has little knockback, but prevent the opponent to counter attack you.

psykoplympton

Smash Ace
I c, so what about two Dtilts into a tackle using the IASA frames of Dtilt. psykoplympton can u check this for me?
i made the attempt but couldnt seem to break the sheild although it did ware it down a lot.

i do beleive that dtilt is one of our main moves here however.

also wouldnt it be awesome if you could do sheild breaker to jab lock combo?

also dsmash is good and fast but is such a low hitting attack that when the sheild is low it will hit the feet

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
hahahahaha knew u'd come in Cam, what do u think of the shield breaking?
What's a shield?

I mean...good ideas. I loved that 4 second N64 shield breaking video, I watched it over and over >_>

Personally, I don't think I've ever broken anyone's shield in a 1v1 o_o
Except maybe my 8 year old brother.
I don't think I've had mine broken either...maybe like once. I don't remember. :/

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
I very rarely break peoples shields but then again im not specifically trying to all the time. A possible combo or string of attacks into a shield break is a great idea. My wii isnt hooked up at the moment but after work tomorrow ill try to test some stuff out.

But yeah your right about kirby's multi hit moves, i think their our best option here.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
I can think of some other good strategies. Like, Rising D-air to stone attack. D-air, up-tilt, up-tilt, to dash attack. Although, it would work best if you were out of grabbing range. Anyways, I can see this actually being possible, even though it may not be 100% guaranteed, it will weaken shields by ALOT!

Top Bottom