• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik's throws - stop habitually down throwing lol

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
i posted this on allisbrawl but forgot to post it here. oops.

down throw does less percent than fthrow and back throw. fthrow is the only throw that can SORT OF combo if they di wrong. and i guess back throw... if they di wrong again... is sort of like fthrow.

down throw will not get you anything special.

fthrow them to "combo" at the edge works well because most people di towards the stage in that case and you can follow up with fair or neutral - back throw them to get them off the stage works occasionally, but not often becuase of how high they go.

in conclusion fthrow more dthrow less thank you.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
I never used sheik in melee so I don't have that bad habit :p

Forward throw is really nice though, because you can see your opponent's DI early on with that throw.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Upthrow gives them the least ability to change trajectory with DI, so you're pretty much assured they're going mostly upward from it.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
All of sheik throws but up throw sends her opponents up and away

Because up throw only sends them up they don't get any type of momentum bonus before DIing.

Dubz

Smash Cadet
Now that you mention it... My grabbing is effed because of my notoriously bad habit to dthrow with sheik. haha. good call

ADHD

Smash Hero
I love the Dthrow because it helps with mindgames (for me). I follow it with a uair the first time, and then the second time they air dodge right into a vanish half of the time or become smart and jump away lol... But yeah other than that I do B throw and F throw. Still, it's not much of a difference, like 1% of damage? Not insulting, but does it matter?

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
yes .

it's one percent more per throw and you get a lot of grabs which adds up and a character like sheik who has trouble getting those ko's anwaysy everything matters. and no - it isn't just 1% more because you can't reliably do anything at all out of your down throw or your other throws unless they di. Even having the chance for an easy follow up makes the other throws worthwhile over the down throw

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
Well I agree that FSMash is probably the best option for 'combos' if you could call them that, but let's not forget that down throw can still be useful. A lot of people's initial reactions in the air is to get down as fast as possible and just air dodge your way through any kind of attack.

Like Chrome said...Down throw, jump, vanish...or Down throw jump, wait aerial. Either one of these can be pretty useful with proper timing and what not and can yield some good results.

Gimpy is right in that we should be using our Forward throw more often then Down throw, but I think it's just as important to still keep the down throw in there for the mix-ups and mind games. Even if it's not the best move, it still has it's uses.

(Oh and don't forget to get your free elbows to the face, not only is it smart...it's highly enjoyable to watch I always forget to do this, trying to re-train myself.)

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
i do a hit per 25% or so... so sub 25 is probably no hits 25-50 is one 50-75 is two 75-100 is three etc etc

seems to work for me haha

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
I think in Melee it was every 40% was a free inescapable hit, 2 at 80%, 3 at 120%...

...haven't tested it myself, so I guess I'll go with Gimpy's numbers, unless of course it was all a ploy to make me think I can't get hits in at low percentages...

*glares at Gimpyfish*

chckn

Smash Ace
Well I agree that FSMash is probably the best option for 'combos' if you could call them that, but let's not forget that down throw can still be useful. A lot of people's initial reactions in the air is to get down as fast as possible and just air dodge your way through any kind of attack.

Like Chrome said...Down throw, jump, vanish...or Down throw jump, wait aerial. Either one of these can be pretty useful with proper timing and what not and can yield some good results.

Gimpy is right in that we should be using our Forward throw more often then Down throw, but I think it's just as important to still keep the down throw in there for the mix-ups and mind games. Even if it's not the best move, it still has it's uses.

(Oh and don't forget to get your free elbows to the face, not only is it smart...it's highly enjoyable to watch I always forget to do this, trying to re-train myself.)
After about a week on sheik I just completely gave up on dthrow lol. Now I either fthrow or bthrow away from the stage and hope for a bad DI, seems to work occasionally

ADHD

Smash Hero
I know gimpy hates the boost smash but this is just freakin amazing....

Back throw, boost smash baby!

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
so for that to hit they have to di away, you have to have tons of room, and they have to airdodge instantly even though you are nowhere near them and the knockback isn't anything that could possibly warrant an airdodge to reduce it?

i dont see how that would hit

the trajectory just isn't nearly low enough

ADHD

Smash Hero
so for that to hit they have to di away, you have to have tons of room, and they have to airdodge instantly even though you are nowhere near them and the knockback isn't anything that could possibly warrant an airdodge to reduce it?

i dont see how that would hit

the trajectory just isn't nearly low enough
No you can release the boost smash earlier or later and it depends all on their DI and damage percent. They dont have to air dodge instantly...

Squidster

Smash Ace
Gimpy's right... i tried it vs fox and bowser (the fastest faller and the fattest character) and it didn't work.

Shrug*

Airius said to try wolf and falco but i doubt it works

ADHD

Smash Hero
Gimpy's right... i tried it vs fox and bowser (the fastest faller and the fattest character) and it didn't work.

Shrug*

Airius said to try wolf and falco but i doubt it works
You don't have to boost smash instantly you can wait depending on their damage and how high they were. It may seem pointless but when you can KO snake at 90% on final destination when timed well, I'll take it.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
but can you fly into the air and do your up smash above ground?

the trajectory just seems wayyyyy to high. get us a vid or something

ADHD

Smash Hero
but can you fly into the air and do your up smash above ground?

the trajectory just seems wayyyyy to high. get us a vid or something
Just make snake of 92% damage, back throw and do a boost smash into him, if you hit him with the tipper it KOs.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Down throw is horrible.
I use it all the time.
I'm horrible.

Um... down throw can~ set up for a nair or uair at zero percent verus a few characters I believe... but other than that it normally isn't a very strong choice. No, not even for mind games because you aren't put into any advantage at all.

fthrow keeps your opponent in a nice neat package just out of reach, deals the best damage and lets you recover the fastest of all the throws.

airius

Smash Cadet
As for the back throw boost smash, it only works against a very small number of the cast and even then usually only at low percents. I made the comment just because i had it work against a falco who DI'ed wrong and was the second best kill i have ever done in my smash history.

just went through and tested against each of the characters using cpu level 9 on attack . 30% is usually the cutoff. Worked against DK, Link, marth, Sheik, Falco, Charizard, ike, Snake, Ganon, DDD, Wolf, and Captain Falcon.

ADHD

Smash Hero
As for the back throw boost smash, it only works against a very small number of the cast and even then usually only at low percents. I made the comment just because i had it work against a falco who DI'ed wrong and was the second best kill i have ever done in my smash history.

just went through and tested against each of the characters using cpu level 9 on attack . 30% is usually the cutoff. Worked against DK, Link, marth, Sheik, Falco, Charizard, ike, Snake, Ganon, DDD, Wolf, and Captain Falcon.
ITS NOT INSTANT lol its based on your individual timing!

Squidster

Smash Ace
Went in training mode and tried it vs lvl 9 wolf

I got it when he was on stop
I did not get it when he was on attack

He would air dodge / jump / do something so that the boost smash failed.

If it doesn't work on computer it wont work on a person unless they are really bad...

Edit- Got it once vs wolf as a tipper on top but its still way too easy to avoid. Even if its possible its not reliable.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Sheik's only guaranteed combo is ftilt > something, guys. Don't throw away situational combos or setups, because chances are the opportunity will present itself more often than you might think.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Wow, I cant believe Gimpyfish has to make a thread like this. I've been fthrowing this whole time, I didn't even realize other Sheiks were still dthrowing. I guess only someone as important as Gimpyfish can sway the community. I learned myself that fthrow is the best way to throw... maybe uthrow at lower percents.

Top Bottom