• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik vs Ike

NeKau

Smash Rookie
One of my best friends mains Ike and he beats me every time we play. I main Sheik and don't like to play anyone else. One of the biggest problems I have is that he will K.O. me at ~67% every other stock. Anyone have any tips for this match up?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Shield his sword, because it deals damage to you.

NeKau

Smash Rookie
Lol duly noted. I guess a better way to ask would be, "Is there any way to beat a good Ike with Sheik?" The range of his sword makes it hard for me to approach, and I usually get four or five shot when he finally blocks one of my attacks.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Try and space yourself properly, wait for an opening. Dont blindly rush in and get hit by a smash. Hard to really help without a vid.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Take advantage of the fact that you have range and speed.

If the Ike player just keeps on knocking you away each time you approach then stop approaching and force him to come to you by needle spamming.

He will most likely approach with a nair or a fair which he will auto cancel into a A-A-A combo so watch out.

NeKau

Smash Rookie
I'll get a vid and throw a link in here ASAP. Thanks for the replies :)

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
Needles are sharp. I suggest throwing them.

...it cancels his approaches (a.k.a. his Forward B) and deals good damage.

Spot-dodge his attacks and then follow in to tilt locks.

...DON'T ROLL EVERYWHERE...I can't stress this enough vs. Ike. Rolling will get you killed.

ADHD

Smash Hero
I actually thought this was sheik's easiest matchup, but you just have to not underestimate his range. He really cant do anything but jump if you spam needles and his air game has lag (minus the bair).

KRDsonic

Smash Master
Needle spamming helps to bring him towards you, dodge what he does and attack I guess? Getting in a killing move before he does is tough though, at least it is from my experience.

Squidster

Smash Ace
dont get hit, gimp his recovery, turn into zelda if you can't gimp

something along those lines
brilliant =D

As for ike he's often under estimated. Its easy to say "this character is big and slow and is therefore a good matchup for me," but big and slow characters have to deal with that all the time... its not like sheik is uniquely good vs them.

Ftilt lock to an extend works better vs him but not by much.

Ike's weakness is lag and recovery though... sheiks strength is punishing and edgeguarding. Use that to your advantage.

MMhawk607

Smash Rookie
ike is relatively slow...

of course you may need to use a lot of needles

if he wants to play keep away by charging his smash attack when you get close, you may need to use another strategy (Keep in mind that you also have the help of zelda) Maybe spam with fireballs until he decides to close range fight with you...then you can take advantage of your speed

Squidster

Smash Ace
If he's spamming smashes just hit him during the after lag... ike's smashes are all laggy....

Boost smash, grab, or do this new fancy needle cancel attack. Ike Forward smash? Sheik dash -> Ftilt combo.

Good ikes keep you away through areals and jabs. You want to keep away from ike rather than charge in. Ike can't hit you from afar so theres no downside to sitting back and waiting for opportunities while throwing sharp objects at his eyes.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
If it weren't for Ike's jab combo, he wouldn't (shouldn't) even be able to touch Sheik. Keep that in mind.

Oh, and you can ftilt lock him.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Chuck needles to keep him off guard + set up for stuff. Use throws often to make sure he doesn't get too shield happy (but they might shielddrop -> neutral a combo so watch out). The fact that he's kind of slow in the air means that it's easy to Fair chase at higher percentages. Ftilt locks are fun on Ikes, as well as maneuvering platforms to get advantages on him (lol where's your Battlefield gone, Ike? Oh wait Sheik's too fast for you). If he decides to ledgestall with Aether just charge Needles and wait.

If he uses Quick Draw and you're by the edge he's on just jump all the way out there right to him - he has two options - get hit, or release it. Depending on position it's usually wise to try and get him to release it but if that doesn't work after the first two times or so you try it just Fair.

EDIT: Oh, and spot dodge often. Spotdodging often baits stupid moves out of shield from Ike; spotdodge x however many times you want -> roll will get you past most Ikes. Remember: if you can't do it one way, do it the Drephen way.

NeKau

Smash Rookie
Thanks for all the replies guys! Some very good info in this thread :) I am going to 1v1 him again a few times today and put some videos up by tonight hopefully.

So far what im going to try is spacing myself better (something I know to be a weakness of mine), throwing in some ftilt lock grabs, spotdodging and focusing more on egde guarding when I manage to get him off.

And @ Squidster, whats the new needle cancel attack?

Thanks for your help all!

Top Bottom