• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Sheik Strategy & QnA

CrazyCupofJoe

Smash Cadet
So just as an easy explanation, Z, L, and R all let you boost grab after you hit A?

Last edited:

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
Any tips to DIng Fox's uthrow? Is there way to (artificially) buffer the DI? My reaction to Fox's uthrow is sonic. Also, what kind of DI is optimal?

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
Any tips to DIng Fox's uthrow? Is there way to (artificially) buffer the DI? My reaction to Fox's uthrow is sonic. Also, what kind of DI is optimal?
go to Training mode. Set the CPU to 999% and human. Upthrow him with Fox.
Look at the trajectory angle. You want to DI perpendicular to that direction as soon as you get grabbed!

BRUJO~

Smash Apprentice
Her short hop is amazing remember that :).

Yea people JC grab for less lag I'm actually not sure about the hitbox of JC grabs vs dash grabs

dash attack grabing is basically useless dont bother with it.
Throwback to 2007, "dash attack grabbing is basically useless"

Jackson

Smash Lord
I often struggle a bit when doing quick short hop aerials immediately after dthrow, particularly Fair. Do you guys do these quick aerials with A? That's what i've been leaning towards because i dont think i can really do it with the c stick due to how fast Sheik jumps even though I prefer C stick when doing AC fairs.

Just wondering what you guys do.

BRUJO~

Smash Apprentice
I often struggle a bit when doing quick short hop aerials immediately after dthrow, particularly Fair. Do you guys do these quick aerials with A? That's what i've been leaning towards because i dont think i can really do it with the c stick due to how fast Sheik jumps even though I prefer C stick when doing AC fairs.

Just wondering what you guys do.
Personally, I use a mixture of c stick and a for aerial attacks throughout my gameplay, but out if dthrow I always use A.
Normally I use c stick in other situations because it gives you the option of doing a retreating aerial, but I can't think of a situation out of dthrow where you'd need to be retreating.

Jackson

Smash Lord
Personally, I use a mixture of c stick and a for aerial attacks throughout my gameplay, but out if dthrow I always use A.
Normally I use c stick in other situations because it gives you the option of doing a retreating aerial, but I can't think of a situation out of dthrow where you'd need to be retreating.
Good point, sounds about right to me.

dj_red_lantern

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I'm having a lot of trouble consistently getting down short hop instant nairs. I can't seem to ocnsistently get down doing the nair as fast as possible while still short hopping. Either I get the short hop or I get the nair, I only really get the short hop instant nair around 20% of the time. Anyone have any tips on learning this?

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
Hey guys, I'm having a lot of trouble consistently getting down short hop instant nairs. I can't seem to ocnsistently get down doing the nair as fast as possible while still short hopping. Either I get the short hop or I get the nair, I only really get the short hop instant nair around 20% of the time. Anyone have any tips on learning this?
Grind it out. Every day.
What method do you use though. I know quite a few, maybe one could be superior for you. Lemme know

dj_red_lantern

Smash Rookie
The method I use is pressing Y and then A very quickly afterwards
Edit: I do this in a sliding motion

Last edited:

Jackson

Smash Lord
I'm learning Nair Oos with a similar method, sliding from X to A. It seems to connect on opponents just fine but I'm not getting the short hop either. I can short hop fine normally.

BRUJO~

Smash Apprentice
I use the slide from y>a method as well. I find it much easier if you just rest your thumb on the inner edge of they button. It really feels like more of a light click of the button than a press. I normally don't even press the button all the way in.

BRUJO~

Smash Apprentice
@ dj_red_lantern dj_red_lantern also, for practicing, stand next to puff in training mode. Do a short hop nair oos while standing right next to her; if you hit her, its as frame perfect as you will ever need.

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
So do you jump with Y normally? Thumb on Y?
@ dj_red_lantern dj_red_lantern

Does it feel awkward? Or are you looking for another way of doing it?

You can try using Z for the Nair. That way you have a finger for each button and it can be easier to get the timing right.

Another method is to use the Cstick to jump OoS. The thumb slides off C and onto A in one fluid motion.
It might sound complicated, but try it out - you might like it.

I personally use pointer on Y and thumb on A.

http://smashboards.com/members/dj_red_lantern.310843/

Last edited:

dj_red_lantern

Smash Rookie
Ya I usually jump with thumb on Y. It sounds like the way I'm doing it can work I just need to keep grinding it out consistently. What other techs do (or did) you guys grind out consistently. It seems like the tech chase is something that you can always benefit from grinding out a little bit per day.

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
You can generally not slack on anything. Work on all your tech skill every day.
The hard stuff I am grinding is Nair OoS, Pivots, Shield Drops, RNC Bairs, Continuous WD Moonwalks, Charlie Walks and DD

Last edited:

Jackson

Smash Lord
Alright, I hear a lot about pivots, and they sound like a cool movement tech that I would like to incorporate into my game.

I hear that "quarter circle" pivots are the easiest, could someone give me a good description of the inputs?

CelloLuCC

Smash Apprentice
This is probably been asked before in this thread but I'm lazy.

I don't really have a secondary and am considering picking up sheik for that.

Does anyone have tips on playing her in neutral? I know needles are good, but that's about it. I've seen some m2k, shroomed and kirbykaze matches and I don't get why there doing some stuff, like there zoning with tilts.

BRUJO~

Smash Apprentice
This is probably been asked before in this thread but I'm lazy.

I don't really have a secondary and am considering picking up sheik for that.

Does anyone have tips on playing her in neutral? I know needles are good, but that's about it. I've seen some m2k, shroomed and kirbykaze matches and I don't get why there doing some stuff, like there zoning with tilts.
I'll just spew off a few things that come to mind, but I'd love to hear what other people have to say.
I personally use wdback a lot to bait out attacks. Also, dashing forward into dtilt/smash is a good option especially at low percents (b/c you can cc). Ftilt works well for this as well when the opponent is in the air (such as combating a bair campy puff) but you don't get the benefit of crouch cancel. Really these tilts are thrown out the to limit approaching options
Use platforms for movement to prevent yourself from getting predictable on the ground.
Sheik's dash dance is eh, and during her dash/run animation her leg sticks out behind her so she can get hit easily. If you crouch, she pulls her leg in. You can uses this to dash and avoid marth fsmashes and other things, then punish accordingly.

Im sure I could think of more, but this is what comes to mind. Is there anything else specific that you see and don'tunderstand?

CelloLuCC

Smash Apprentice
idk really get the weird random DA, but I think it could be a mis-input.

also, thnx for the reply, I appreciate it.

BRUJO~

Smash Apprentice
idk really get the weird random DA, but I think it could be a mis-input.

also, thnx for the reply, I appreciate it.
Well da is a great combo starter. Its also a good option coverer. It has really strong combo potential at certain percents (especially on spacies) and is an easy follow up after dthrow tech chase, so you probably see it in that sense. As for the neutral, it probably isn't the strongest option in most circumstances, but it has a lot of follow ups if you can get a read.

CrazyCupofJoe

Smash Cadet
Who are THE sheiks to watch now? I don't want to focus on M2K too much as he hasn't been doing too well lately and it's sometimes hard to find sets where he goes mostly sheik. I was thinking Shroomed and KirbyKaze are my best options but they don't frequent as many tourneys as M2K. I was wondering if there were more people you guys often watch?

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
Who are THE sheiks to watch now? I don't want to focus on M2K too much as he hasn't been doing too well lately and it's sometimes hard to find sets where he goes mostly sheik. I was thinking Shroomed and KirbyKaze are my best options but they don't frequent as many tourneys as M2K. I was wondering if there were more people you guys often watch?
I follow Plup these days. His style is vastly different than M2K's and he is only improving
Here is a set to watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUFI1Spop-s&index=1&list=FLeDQ4agj7c9Rx4VToFuLIZg

Last edited:

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Swedish Delight.
Kira.
Laudandus.
Plank.

Just to name a few.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Good thing about float aerials (unless they're done on the floor) is that you have time to react to them coming. If you see a float coming, wavedash away out of shield or roll if that's easier.

D-smash is hard to punish unless you are constantly aware of it and its range. Just always be careful to space yourself not on top of Peach. If you happen to be right on top of her, you may have to judge who has more frames to act. You can usually shield or d-smash yourself depending on the circumstance.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
I have compiled a Youtube playlist featuring high-level Sheik play. It is being updated continuously as I watch new stuff, go take a look!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLr5qZbjPe6xpApRgh8W0BWSFdKEiexYun

Also, if you know a high-level Sheik set you'd like to get featured on the playlist, hit me up and I'll add it.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Having trouble with a down smash happy peach. He usually does float dairs on my shield and does a downsmash
Easiest thing I could think of is just throw out ftilt/uptilt. Its probably fast enough to trade at worst and since its dair its not really that threatening.

If it cleanly wins you can fair/upair, if it trades chase under it with your shield and look for shield grabs.

If you do end up shielding it as long as your shield isn't REALLY deteriorated you can take the shield damage and run away to reset to neutral.

Last edited:

Cervidae

Smash Apprentice
Is it possible to punish a Peach down smash by wavedashing OoS into grab? I've been trying it out on a friend and it works about ~30% of the time, but I can't tell if that's just human error on my friend's part. Most times he's able to spot dodge or roll away.

dj_red_lantern

Smash Rookie
Ya I'm just now starting to watch plup's sheik, and he is an absolute monster. I highly recommend watching him

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
Is it possible to punish a Peach down smash by wavedashing OoS into grab? I've been trying it out on a friend and it works about ~30% of the time, but I can't tell if that's just human error on my friend's part. Most times he's able to spot dodge or roll away.
I think it is, but the timing is really tight so you risk getting dsmashed again. I would bait out the dsmash and punish with fair. Remember that dsmash only has hitboxes on the ground level.

Sempai

Smash Ace
Ya I'm just now starting to watch plup's sheik, and he is an absolute monster. I highly recommend watching him
Agree 1000%

I think it is, but the timing is really tight so you risk getting dsmashed again. I would bait out the dsmash and punish with fair. Remember that dsmash only has hitboxes on the ground level.
I think the frame window to WD then grab is like 3 frames big, so pretty tight. Try to bait with WD back, and dont forget to angle that shield down.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Axe drops shield and runs up to grab Peach after a dsmash on Pikachu's shield. I don't know if this works because of Pikachu's smaller shield though. Maybe it's something to test out as Sheik?

Cervidae

Smash Apprentice
Axe drops shield and runs up to grab Peach after a dsmash on Pikachu's shield. I don't know if this works because of Pikachu's smaller shield though. Maybe it's something to test out as Sheik?
I unfortunately don't think this is possible. Sheik releases her shield in 15 frames, while there are 17 frames between the last hit of Peach's down smash and the completion of the animation, and that's assuming that you are not hit by the last active hitbox of the down smash. If you are hit with it, then Peach is left at a -10 frame advantage, which is still shorter than the 15 frames it takes to drop your shield. I think wavedashing out of shield is the fastest option you have, as it only takes 4 frames to start wavedashing, leaving you with 13 frames or ~1/5 of a second to grab/punish Peach safely if you are not hit by the last hitbox of the down smash.

~Fusion~

Smash Rookie
Speaking of peach, where is the best spot relative to her for a sheik to be when she is floating? I would assume above just for the fact that her only move that hits above her is Uair but then I thought we don't have many solid options when people are below us so idk what to think. Where should I be relative to peach when she floats? Above, below, or to the side of her?

Top Bottom