• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik (semi) confirmed

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
Sakurai think Link & Toon Link should be clones, it's reasonable to assume that the same would go for Zelda & Toon Zelda. And you know what was considered for brawl as well? Toon Sheik, which would mean that he was planning to give something that belong to OoT/TP Zelda to Toon Zelda, what to say he couldn't do the reverse.
Toon Sheik could have been Codename for Tetra, but it propably would have been named Tetra then.

But that's not the case.. Toon Link was the only rep from the Zelda WW, as Young Link's replacement. If there was a Toon Zelda at all, it would make sense that was her down B.

Toon Zelda would be a clone of the original Zelda, therefore gaining Transform BEFORE an Adult Zelda would adopt a newcomers' move.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Diddy is simply in denial, there is no doubt that the Phantom pose is the same as her assist release pose. I won't believe **** he says until he goes on Brawl and tries it himself, you can clearly see her arm bend exactly as it does in the Phantom picture, I just wish I could have got the screenshot myself.
Do you happen to have an SD card? Perhaps you can take a screenshot and then convert the file through a handy tool in order to upload your image.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
But that's not the case.. Toon Link was the only rep from the Zelda WW, as Young Link's replacement. If there was a Toon Zelda at all, it would make sense that was her down B.
Toon Zelda would be a clone of the original Zelda, therefore gaining Transform BEFORE an Adult Zelda would adopt a newcomers' move.
My main point is that there may not be a big distinction between what's Zelda's abilities and what's Toon Zelda's abilities. They might just all be general Zelda abilities.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
honestly that pose looks more like a grab

I hope her grab range is still Dedede tier, but actually with decent speed

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Do you happen to have an SD card? Perhaps you can take a screenshot and then convert the file through a handy tool in order to upload your image.
I'll have to dig up an SD card connector for my computer, but I do have a spare SD. I'll need to convert the files? How would I do so?

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
Pick up a trophy in slow motion, her arm does bend like in the Phantom picture, you just have to pause at the right moment.
[collapse=Thanks to AncientTobacco for these screenshots!]

[/collapse]
He missed the arm bend too, but here's Zelda making almost exactly the same pose, after releasing an assist trophy.

We already have the pictures right here.

My main point is that there may not be a big distinction between what's Zelda's abilities and what's Toon Zelda's abilities. They might just all be general Zelda abilities.
There would be a big distinction. Toon Zelda wouldn't be able to Fair, Dair, or Bair, because of her smaller legs. But by your logic, if there was a toon Zelda, again, she would receive the existing Zelda's specials FIRST. They wouldn't axe Zelda's down B in favor of a newcomer's new one if there was a clone.

But there isn't even a Toon Zelda. Period.

Last edited by a moderator:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
plot twIST

THE PHANTOM IS AHCTUALLY ONE OF OFFSCREEN TOON ZELDA'S MOVES AND SAKURAI iS SECrETLY CONFIRMING THAT TOON ZLEDA EXISTS

Edit: also stop double posting.

Morbi

Scavenger
Do you mean to say that said character can't make the same animation or pose twice in their character page? In that case, Sakurai already did it with Dedede.

inb4 it doesn't count because it's zoomed. :rolleyes:

Besides, it's not like there is some kind of rule that Sakurai must use different animations for said character in every pic or that he must make them perform a few attacks in their profiles. All he has to do is just show the characters off in a few in game screenshots and show how they have turned out. Wether they are fighting or doing other things. He can tell us more about them in the Daily screenshots and other updates like he has done many times before anyway, or he can just send in a number of screenshots to Nintendo for them to upload to their official Facebook page as he apparently did. :/

Also, there have been previous cases where Sakurai revealed a character but didn't show them perform any attacks during the Brawl dojo. Characters like these were Yoshi and Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon. We had to wait a bit before Sakurai showed a few pics of them performing any attacks and all. So it's not like revealing Zelda without having her attacking is something completely new or unheard of.

Not to mention it's not like there can only be one or two Zelda assist trophies anyway. Mario had quite a few in Brawl so it's not like it's something impossible for the Zelda franchise to gain a few more too in the new games.

Unless I misunderstood what you meant I guess... :/
No, I mean to say that no other character has an assist trophy pose illustrated on their character page designed to showcase the character that was just revealed. So I made the proclamation that the first to do so (Zelda) wouldn't have her using two separate assist trophy poses without show casing at least one attack as all of her other pictures were random poses. Dedede's pose isn't a pose, it is an attack; so that wasn't necessarily what I was getting at. Secondly, I wasn't asserting that some arbitrary rule exists, it was merely an assumption. I do not think it is likely, I never stated that it wasn't the case or that some rule existed.

Brawl isn't Smash 4, so that is irrelevant as the entire marketing campaign is different. The intent of the game is different. The web-site is different. The reveals are different. The console and time period differ. Everything is different, that does not establish precedent.

Mario had 3, Mario, the biggest Nintendo franchise was the only series to have 3. So it is entirely possible that Zelda will also have 3 this time around, I mentioned this in my post. However, I did mention that I was skeptical to the notion of a generic enemy appearing as one of the 3. Especially from a series so ripe with potential characters that cannot make the cut. Phantom is only truly important in relation to Zelda, he pertains to Zelda. So it makes more sense to me that he would be an attack or a new mechanic or something in regards to the character. It is a bland assist trophy, not only is the character bland, but the presumed action (a few slashes or one slash) isn't interesting at all. Sakurai at least tries to make these assist trophies interesting. Phantom doesn't really have anything that can incite and provoke that kind of interest.

Half and half.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Well, it can become interesting if the assist trophy follow and protect the player. As a Zelda move, it's not much of a good idea, but it could be a good idea as an assist. Also, Toon Zelda couls appear at first and possess the phantom. It's a way to see her, without becoming a clone.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
I'm not gonna argue if Sakurai would change Zelda's Down B or not, and whatever would happen to Sheik (Cut, seperated or replaced).
There would be a big distinction. Toon Zelda wouldn't be able to Fair, Dair, or Bair, because of her smaller legs. But by your logic, if there was a toon Zelda, again, she would receive the existing Zelda's specials FIRST. They wouldn't axe Zelda's down B in favor of a newcomer's new one if there was a clone.
But there isn't even a Toon Zelda. Period.
The legs moves would need to be replaced, just like they was on toon link.
I'll try to explain my viewpoint. And we don't know what viewpoint Sakurai has.
Zelda's Moveset Potential = All Zelda's (Oot Zelda, TP Zelda, Toon Zelda, Young Zelda, etc.)
Smash Zelda = Zelda's Moveset Potential
Smash Toon Zelda = Smash Zelda + small modifications
I hope you understand this Logic, on why Zelda could potentially get phantom unrelated to if Toon Zelda is in or not.

Zelda's Moveset Potential is also different from Link's. Link use take the stuff he uses in almost all games, while Zelda takes from the few games with usable move inspiration. You don't have anything important to the all-compassing Link that is only used by Toon Variant. But Zelda on the other hand has something she could use that is only used by the Toon Variant.

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
I'm not gonna argue if Sakurai would change Zelda's Down B or not, and whatever would happen to Sheik (Cut, seperated or replaced).
Zelda's Moveset Potential = All Zelda's (Oot Zelda, TP Zelda, Toon Zelda, Young Zelda, etc.)
I hope you understand this Logic, on why Zelda could potentially get phantom unrelated to if Toon Zelda is in or not.

Zelda's Moveset Potential is also different from Link's. Link use take the stuff he uses in almost all games, while Zelda takes from the few games with usable move inspiration. You don't have anything important to the all-compassing Link that is only used by Toon Variant. But Zelda on the other hand has something she could use that is only used by the Toon Variant.
I understand your attempt at explaining your logic. But this doesn't pertain to what your getting at. Zelda's move set was decided before Wind or Spirit Tracks. She wouldn't be influenced by Characters that deviate from her orginial move set as a veteran.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
About Pit's moveset changes: they where shown in a Direct yes, but much later also got an update on the site relating to them. Can't tell me they won't potentially do the same with Phantom.

If Phantom is Zelda's Down B, Sheik will probably be removed. And Impa could be a newcomer with a style based on Sheik's moveset and playstyle.

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
About Pit's moveset changes: they where shown in a Direct yes, but much later also got an update on the site relating to them. Can't tell me they won't potentially do the same with Phantom.

If Phantom is Zelda's Down B, Sheik will probably be removed. And Impa could be a newcomer with a style based on Sheik's moveset and playstyle.
You were still wrong though. You highly implied that the move itself was not shown off/revealed/anything for MONTHS after he was revealed. Wrong.

Impa wouldn't make sense because she didn't have a large role in the entire series. She may have had something in the Skyward Sword game, but she's not enough of a representative of the series as a whole to be playable. Not now. Shadow Temple or not.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
So I don't know if I've given my opinion or not but I see it like this:

• With Zelda's Goddess moves being confirmed, Summon: Phantom doesn't seem likely to be a thing anymore. I too am saddened at this. I would have loved to see a Phantom themed moveset. It likely would have made sense even though it's TP Zelda.
  • Sheik is likely still in the game. I don't see why they would cut Sheik out now that Phantom is actually probably an assist trophy. There is ZERO correlation between Phantom and the three Goddesses. Likewise, Transform wouldn't have made much sense on a moveset with all other special moves being Phantom.
  • I had a third point but I forgot what it was.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master

I understand the logic, but I don't really agree with. Toon Link could have plenty of moves specific to him: an Up-B involving the grappling hook, controlling Wind with the wind waker, gliding with the Deku Leaf, the skull hammer for a strong finisher, and this only with the Wind Waker items. We can add the bomb-chu from Phantom Hourglass (althought it's not specific to this game) or the gust jar from Minish Cap, for example.
Same can apply to Zelda. The adult Zelda can have OoT and TP abilities, while Toon Zelda can have Toon abilities, including the phantom (even thought there is not that much abilities, I agree. Zelda already have to borrow Link's spell from OoT, but it fits her well).

Now, the thing is. We stated that though the Smash Bros games, Mario, Pit & Bowser had moveset changes. But, for Mario, he retained his Mario tornado as a down aerial, Pit kept a reflector as his down B and got something new instead of a blend of his down-B and neutral aerial, and Bowser seems to be essentially visual changes, as he still have his B moves. I agree Zelda got her first playable appearance (not counting the CDI games :troll:) but it would be a major change to her gameplay. Can't say it can't happen just because it never happened before, but seeing how Toon Link didn't change despite being one of the most obvious clone, I don't really see why Zelda would get the favor. It's quite hard to change movesets drastically when people get used to them.
I know, the phantom would only change one move, but it become a whole different way of playing with the character. If you just summon it, the only help it can be is keeping people away and protecting Zelda. But it's clearly not an helpful thing when it comes to land a hit with Zelda's precise style. And if he keep people away, what to you do? Spam Din's fire? It can't really distract them either, as the target is still Zelda. And suppose you are trying to hit the opponent, but suddenly, the phantom comes and slash him and send him away. It would be just problematic. I just can't see how can be really helpfull.

If Zelda can switch to the phantom, it's not a great idea either. It would require a whole moveset, and how does Zelda work? Becomes an AI? And then, which level of difficulty? If Zelda dies, you are stuck with the phantom? There would have been more emphasis on this, so it can't be this solution, I think.

(everything I say above about the phantom is, obviously, a point of view, and some theories about how it could work).

It would be better if Toon Zelda have a moveset of her own, and switch to the Phantom (like Zelda/Sheik switch). We could have a new Zelda with new moves (because I think Zelda's moveset can't really change and become a quick but less powerful moveset), and have the phantom being a new heavy weight character.
Also, about Toon Zelda (and Tetra), there's the problem of the proportions. Tetra can't really work as a character as she doesn't have magic abilities, and can't use a dagger as Sakurai is against daggers. Toon Zelda, on the other hand, can use magic for extended range (like TP Zelda, actually). And phantom, obviously, do have some range.

I'm more toward conserving movesets. The only exception to me are Toon Link, as there were potential, and Ganondorf, because how the Great King of Evil can copy a futuristic pilot and bounty hunter?

I understand your attempt at explaining your logic. But this doesn't pertain to what your getting at. Zelda's move set was decided before Wind or Spirit Tracks. She wouldn't be influenced by Characters that deviate from her orginial move set as a veteran.
This is quite wrong either, as Mario's moveset was decided way before Super Mario Sunshine. But again, it was not a big change, and he kept the Mario tornado as a down aerial. Zelda can't keep her transform as a down aerial :troll: But she must keep her down B, as she is the only own able to transform without final smashes (Giga Bowser or even Samus), and there's no downside to this (Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard have a stamina system)

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
I understand the logic, but I don't really agree with. Toon Link could have plenty of moves specific to him: an Up-B involving the grappling hook, controlling Wind with the wind waker, gliding with the Deku Leaf, the skull hammer for a strong finisher, and this only with the Wind Waker items. We can add the bomb-chu from Phantom Hourglass (althought it's not specific to this game) or the gust jar from Minish Cap, for example.
Same can apply to Zelda. The adult Zelda can have OoT and TP abilities, while Toon Zelda can have Toon abilities, including the phantom (even thought there is not that much abilities, I agree. Zelda already have to borrow Link's spell from OoT, but it fits her well).
You're somewhat missing my point. I don't think Toon Link should be a clone. Toon Link could be unique, but he's not. and It's pretty clear that Sakurai think Toon Link should be a clone (based on the fact that he's a Clone in both Brawl & Smash 4), which means he won't get big differences from Link. If Toon Link where to get Skull Hammer it would probably be because Link got his own hammer.
Can't say it can't happen just because it never happened before, but seeing how Toon Link didn't change despite being one of the most obvious clone.
The reason he didn't get changed is because he supposed to be a clone.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
No, I mean to say that no other character has an assist trophy pose illustrated on their character page designed to showcase the character that was just revealed. So I made the proclamation that the first to do so (Zelda) wouldn't have her using two separate assist trophy poses without show casing at least one attack as all of her other pictures were random poses. Dedede's pose isn't a pose, it is an attack; so that wasn't necessarily what I was getting at. Secondly, I wasn't asserting that some arbitrary rule exists, it was merely an assumption. I do not think it is likely, I never stated that it wasn't the case or that some rule existed.
Well alright then I guess. Still not sure if that really matters too much. Zelda might as well be the first who has performed this animation then.

Brawl isn't Smash 4, so that is irrelevant as the entire marketing campaign is different. The intent of the game is different. The web-site is different. The reveals are different. The console and time period differ. Everything is different, that does not establish precedent.
Well then if Brawl somehow doesn't count than I guess we might as well consider this the first time Sakurai revealed a character like this. Unless you don't. But from the looks of things, it doesn't seem to be any form of attack in any of the images of Zelda's page at all. Especially if that "Phantom pose" really is just her summoning an assist trophy.

Mario had 3, Mario, the biggest Nintendo franchise was the only series to have 3. So it is entirely possible that Zelda will also have 3 this time around, I mentioned this in my post. However, I did mention that I was skeptical to the notion of a generic enemy appearing as one of the 3. Especially from a series so ripe with potential characters that cannot make the cut. Phantom is only truly important in relation to Zelda, he pertains to Zelda. So it makes more sense to me that he would be an attack or a new mechanic or something in regards to the character. It is a bland assist trophy, not only is the character bland, but the presumed action (a few slashes or one slash) isn't interesting at all. Sakurai at least tries to make these assist trophies interesting. Phantom doesn't really have anything that can incite and provoke that kind of interest.
Eh it's not like we know what Sakurai's opinion is in regards to which characters and things can be assist trophies and which can't. If the Phantom is an assist trophy (Which seems to be the case) then there must be something in regards to the Phantoms that striked Sakurai's interests in which made him decide to have it as an assist trophy. Besides aren't the Phantoms essentially the Ultimate Chimera of the Zelda Franchise anyway? Perhaps he wanted an assist trophy that could perform a similar role to that. A patrolling knight that as soon as it comes in contact to a playable character (who is not the summoner) starts to attack quickly causing an immediate KO to said character. There may be something to it I suppose, but of course that's just speculation on my part. :/

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
You're somewhat missing my point. I don't think Toon Link should be a clone. Toon Link could be unique, but he's not. and It's pretty clear that Sakurai think Toon Link should be a clone (based on the fact that he's a Clone in both Brawl & Smash 4), which means he won't get big differences from Link. If Toon Link where to get Skull Hammer it would probably be because Link got his own hammer.
The reason he didn't get changed is because he supposed to be a clone.
Maybe it is. Maybe it's because he was a clone, and changing characters often have a negative feedback. I remembered people complaining about Falco's minor change with his down-B.
In the end, we don't really know. I can be either the "Toon Link should be a clone" thing or "It's a loved veteran, no need to change him" thing.

It's seems more plausible to me to be the fact that he was played that make him not changing his move. Imagine in Street Fighter if Ken changed moveset because he have the same moveset than Ryu. It would probably cause some lot of hate.

Also, this interview: http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/17/44...director-masahiro-sakurai-character-selection

It's not my point, but he says: "Whether it's a minor character or a character that is one of the most highly skilled and most played," Sakurai said, "if that character is removed from the game, the people who live for that character in Smash Bros. are going to have their feelings hurt."
Even if it's about inclusion in the game, I think the same reasoning can be done about moveset.

The only one everyone can agree that he need moveset modifications is Ganondorf, and maybe a bit Starfox characters (minor changes, like Pit).

Besides aren't the Phantoms essentially the Ultimate Chimera of the Zelda Franchise anyway? Perhaps he wanted an assist trophy that could perform a similar role to that. A patrolling knight that as soon as it comes in contact to a playable character (who is not the summoner) starts to attack quickly causing an immediate KO to said character. There may be something to it I suppose, but of course that's just speculation on my part. :/
I never thought of that, and that's a great AT idea actually!

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx

Now, the thing is. We stated that though the Smash Bros games, Mario, Pit & Bowser had moveset changes. But, for Mario, he retained his Mario tornado as a down aerial, Pit kept a reflector as his down B and got something new instead of a blend of his down-B and neutral aerial, and Bowser seems to be essentially visual changes, as he still have his B moves. I agree Zelda got her first playable appearance (not counting the CDI games :troll:) but it would be a major change to her gameplay. Can't say it can't happen just because it never happened before, but seeing how Toon Link didn't change despite being one of the most obvious clone, I don't really see why Zelda would get the favor. It's quite hard to change movesets drastically when people get used to them.
I know, the phantom would only change one move, but it become a whole different way of playing with the character. If you just summon it, the only help it can be is keeping people away and protecting Zelda. But it's clearly not an helpful thing when it comes to land a hit with Zelda's precise style. And if he keep people away, what to you do? Spam Din's fire? It can't really distract them either, as the target is still Zelda. And suppose you are trying to hit the opponent, but suddenly, the phantom comes and slash him and send him away. It would be just problematic. I just can't see how can be really helpfull.

If Zelda can switch to the phantom, it's not a great idea either. It would require a whole moveset, and how does Zelda work? Becomes an AI? And then, which level of difficulty? If Zelda dies, you are stuck with the phantom? There would have been more emphasis on this, so it can't be this solution, I think.

(everything I say above about the phantom is, obviously, a point of view, and some theories about how it could work).

It would be better if Toon Zelda have a moveset of her own, and switch to the Phantom (like Zelda/Sheik switch). We could have a new Zelda with new moves (because I think Zelda's moveset can't really change and become a quick but less powerful moveset), and have the phantom being a new heavy weight character.
Also, about Toon Zelda (and Tetra), there's the problem of the proportions. Tetra can't really work as a character as she doesn't have magic abilities, and can't use a dagger as Sakurai is against daggers. Toon Zelda, on the other hand, can use magic for extended range (like TP Zelda, actually). And phantom, obviously, do have some range.

I'm more toward conserving movesets. The only exception to me are Toon Link, as there were potential, and Ganondorf, because how the Great King of Evil can copy a futuristic pilot and bounty hunter?

This is quite wrong either, as Mario's moveset was decided way before Super Mario Sunshine. But again, it was not a big change, and he kept the Mario tornado as a down aerial. Zelda can't keep her transform as a down aerial :troll: But she must keep her down B, as she is the only own able to transform without final smashes (Giga Bowser or even Samus), and there's no downside to this (Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard have a stamina system)
I'm not wrong. Mario is never a different of Mario. Zelda is always a different reincarnation, usually. Same for Link. His moveset has remained the same the original. Same for Zelda and that includes sheik.

I'm glad you agree with most of my points, though.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Wow, this thread had a lot of posts since I last visited.

I'm actually glad we know about Zelda's mystery pose. Thanks JamesDNaux!

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I'm not wrong. Mario is never a different of Mario. Zelda is always a different reincarnation, usually. Same for Link. His moveset has remained the same the original. Same for Zelda and that includes sheik.
Yes, but as you said, Zelda's moveset was decided before Wind Waker and Spirit Tracks, wich is actually true. But let's not forget Link boomerang becamed the gale boomerang from TP, and Mario got his FLUDD, something that clearly didn't exist back in Melee and SSB64.

BUT those changes aren't big. The boomerang is still a boomerang, and the Mario Tornado stayed, as a down aerial. So their movesets didn't really changed in the end. Let's say they were tweaked.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Hmm nice observation. Wish we would know for sure though if Zelda will be transforming once again.

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
sheik.jpg

No doubt this has been pointed out before. Perhaps this was taken before adding all the magic to the animation, I mean its still in development. Or, they have changed the animation for transforming again and this happens before the magic effects show up.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Let's not forget that this time some characters have mirrored animations like those classic 2D games so that they never turn their backs to the camera. Mega Man is the most blatant example, but this also applies to other characters, Mario included, unless they're asymmetrical like Link, Samus, Marth and Pit.

Yep, Sheik is pretty much confirmed now. All it needs is Sakurai's official statement on the matter, but that image put side by side with Melee's transformation image is irrefutable evidence that Sheik is back. Note the above about mirrored animations and notice how Zelda in the Melee picture is facing RIGHT, while on the SSB4 picture she's facing LEFT.

Anyone who doesn't think this is proof towards Sheik's return is in denial.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Yeah im honestly not hopeful for change in this case anymore, and at this point. Its just another one of those traditions that they will keep perpetuating because it was present before.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
We now have confirmation that Din's Fire is back, which means the only special move left to be confirmed is her Transformation.

Din's Fire (Side B):

Farore's Wind (Up B):

Naryu's Love (Neutral B):

Transformation (Down B):

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
2 words... Visual update. The blue hue surrounding her plus the pose and sparkles should be a dead giveaway.
The lighting is clearly due to Megaman's stage.
But I agree that these feathers are ultra suspicious. The pose, by the way, is one of her taunt. The side one.

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Or it's a really elaborated picture with the "death blast" from a character above Zelda, her side taunt and Pit's Feathers :awesome:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
I'm glad that Sheik is probably back. I always like playing as him/her.

Wavebuster

Smash Journeyman
I thought we already established that this was Nayru's Love.

The pose is right, and the crystal is visible.

Top Bottom