• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik on Norfair

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
This hasn't been talked about much yet... but Sheik is a monster on this stage.

Having trouble with Snake? Does DDD keep shield grabbing you? Running out of recovery options?

Want to look flashy, technical, and SEXY in Brawl?

Pick Norfair.

Without further ado, here are some movement tricks, points, and possibilities:

Chain
1. ledge drop to chain hog. pretty self-explanatory. you can drop very quickly from one ledge to the next using the chain

2. if you get edgehogged on one of the platforms and use your chain, your chain might snag one of the other platforms nearby. basically, you're less likely to die. lava might be up too, so you'll live

3. pay attention to when you have and don't have invincibility when using your chain, so you don't get hit by lava

4. if you ledge drop with a horizontal direction and immediately chain, you will grab the same platform. if you ledge drop with DOWN and immediately chain, you will grab the lower platform.

5. ledge drop chain hogs to ledge drop double jump aerials are VERY FAST. (much faster than it takes to write all those complicated words down, LOL!)

basically make sure you know what you're doing with each chain, and you can greatly increase the speed that you move around the stage. you can make metaknight look slow here :p

Vanish.
1. you can direct your vanish while standing on an upper platform to the ledge of a lower platform. For example, stand in the middle of one of the top platforms, directly above the ledge of the one beneath you. vanish down, and you can grab the ledge immediately

1b. you can vanish from the outer edge of a top platform diagonally to the ledge of a lower platform

2. make sure that after you direct the direction of your vanish, let go of the control stick so that you will definitely hog the ledge. i think if you keep holding down or away from the ledge, you won't grab it.

3. sexy vanish glide: you know how there's a long vanish glide and a short vanish glide? if you do a short vanish glide off the inner part of one of the platforms toward the outer edge of the platform... you will hog the ledge of the SAME PLATFORM that you glided off of!

4. sexy vanish glide 2: you can vanish glide from the bottom platform diagonally upward to the ledge of the TOP PLATFORM!

Other:
1. if you ledge drop off a lower platform and double jump toward the ledge of an upper one, you will hog. an easy and safe way to move from lower to higher platforms instead of just jumping on top of them

2. norfair's low ceiling allows for very low % UAIR and tipper usmash KO's. you can easily get uair KO's because the magnifying glass is pretty low as well, and it's easy to aim attacks against people in the magnifying glass. (that's that little circle that characters are in when they're off the screen)

2a. since you can Vanish KO using one of your trick ledge vanishes, you can pull off much more Vanish KO attempts WITHOUT BEING PUNISHED

3. like on battlefield, utilt reaches characters on higher platforms

4. LAVA COMBOS. sheik is fast enough to do it. when that wall of lava comes up from the side, sheik can easily combo moves off the lava wall. grabbing and throwing into the lava works very well also

5. TILT LOCKING inside that little building when the lava wave comes out. sheik owns inside that thing. if some idiot actually follows you in there, **** him with tilts. (otherwise just dodge the wave)

This is not nearly all the possibilities. This should just open you up to all the things Sheik can do on this cool stage, and it should improve your creativity for moving around on other stages! (Rainbow Cruise is another one of my favorite Sheik stages.) Remember that Sheik is a NINJA, and the fastest and sexiest character in the game. You will seriously look like a real ninja if you use Norfair.

Sorry that I can't make a video, but I encourage others to make video of all their Sheik Norfair tricks.

characters who don't stand a chance against sheik on Norfair:
- Snake, DDD, ICE CLIMBERS!!!, basically characters who need a lot of ground room and are too slow to keep up with sheik

- this stage also lessens the gap between Sheik and some of her hard matchups like G&W, metaknight, and olimar

- Metaknight is still very good on this stage, but Sheik has a lot of movement abilities which allow you to keep up with his speed. if both players know what they're doing on this stage it could provide for a very exciting and interesting match. you're much better off on this stage against metaknight than, say, smashville or FD. (sheik's ledge moves provide a lot of invincibility! use it well)

Remember that if you're using this stage as a counter pick, don't get caught up in all the tricks. You still have to play effectively and focus on racking up damage and not getting hit. Norfair greatly enhances Sheik's already fast ability to move, so use it well.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Aw, dang. I think tournaments here in Norcal don't ban it..!

edit: SBR vote considers this stage a counter pick!

Exia 00

Smash Champion
I <3 cH0kN8r

Thats too good ^_^ Now i wont get 0 to death chain grabbed by ICs. It also makes the others a lot easier to approach (Olimar and G&W IMO)

Edit: I found out that if you drop through the top platform and down air, and vanish you can grab the bottom platform(might be useless but i <3 down air because it sucks ;) ). Also, when someone has a fairly depleted shield the up tilt will hit their feet. If its counter pick then i think i might start using it.

Veril

Frame Savant
I love this stage! It's great for Lucas (my main) as well. Didn't really focus on using sheik (secondary) their since I'm always Lucas there but...

Looks like I'm gonna need to work with the lava some more.

Blad01

Smash Lord
Yeah choke, that's a beast idea ^_^

SO Norfair is now a CP for two of my mains : Ganon and Sheik. ^^

Oh, also : You can Vanish trough the main platform :)

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
if i cant kill at under 70 i cant kill until over 170 and norfair removes the "under 70" option with lava so i say T-T

but sheik has some hawwwwwwwwwwt trixies on that stage

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Ah yeah, good point gimpy... the rising lava eliminates the gimpy gimping. xD

But hey, it's not like the lava is up all the time? I think the pluses outweigh the losses on this stage.

Charoo

Smash Champion
i been trying so hard to make this a counter pick in socal but nobody wants to. I mean luigi mansion and corneria r on so what's up with that? I also want ps2, pictochat, and port town too haha,

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Porttown seems like such an awesome stage, but when you play it there's just this mild sense of disappointment and I can't quite figure out why. Pictochat is cool too.

I don't really care for luigis mansion. That level is such an eyesore.

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
Good idea. The chain sounds like a ton of fun on the platforms. It IS a good place for shiek. Low ceiling makes for good Usmash Zelda KOs, which I always found ridiculously easy to pull off.

Norfair was banned? I thought it was counterpick.

The Great Leon

Smash Champion
luigis should be off in socal. noob tourney hosts i guess. edress wrote a big thing.

but norfair?? choknater you sly god.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Another silly thing I found: You can vanish glide from the inside of one of the mid-level platforms to the ledge of the other mid-level platform.

Pretty much you can vanish glide from everywhere to anywhere, LOL.

and yes, don't be fooled by sinkinghigher's early post, Norfair IS a counterpick!

Top Bottom