• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
K. Rool, Ridley, Banjo & Kazooie and Sephiroth are the only Ultimate newcomers I really wanted as I've been waiting for almost all 4 of them since Melee notably the first three. Simon, Min Min and Terry are cool too while every other newcomer in Ultimate is just meh to me.

I feel sorry for people who need to have played a game of origin just to like any character that comes from it. Young me would not have known about half of the series I enjoy today were it not for Melee.
Same here buddy.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
K. Rool, Ridley, Banjo & Kazooie and Sephiroth are the only Ultimate newcomers I really wanted as I've been waiting for almost all 4 of them since Melee notably the first three. Simon, Min Min and Terry are cool too while every other newcomer in Ultimate is just meh to me.

Same here buddy.
Yeah same for me I can't really complain when I got all the veterans back, specifically Young Link and Wolf, then getting Banjo, Ridley and Sephiroth. At this point I'm just hoping the last 2 slots to be I can get behind like Terry Joker or Simon were if the last 2 slots aren't any of the ones I specifically wish for at the moment. I just hope this 2nd pass is worth it more than just Sephiroth for me, would like it to be at least half of the pass be worth the wait. (one I don't have in my avatar is Dante but that's probably because I have very low hopes for him at this point given all the Capcom content we got via spirits and miis through all the game).

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord

Same here buddy.
I was pretty happy with a lot of the base game inclusions: K Rool, Isabelle, Simon/Richtor. But when it comes to the DLC I have been much less enthusied. The only one I was genuinely excited about was Banjo&Kazooie. A few of the others I've been mildly interested in: Hero, Min Min, Pyra/Mythra... But beyond that all the other DLC characters have been inclusions I couldn't care less about.

I guess I'm just harder to please.

Dukefire

Smash Master
The fans has been eating well with the entire cast of characters in the roster sakurai has been serving. Naturally, we still want more if it is still possible. Though, the plate at this point almost seems full.
Screenshot_20210502-180152_YouTube.jpg

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The fans has been eating well with the entire cast of characters in the roster sakurai has been serving. Naturally, we still want more if it is still possible. Though, the plate at this point almost seems full.
View attachment 314394
Yeah. The Smash fanbase is the most greedy and most disrespectful fanbase in the gaming community as no matter how much Sakurai does for us, people want more and more. This guy has pretty much given the fans more fan service than any developer I can imagine yet the Smash fans are never satisfied.

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. The Smash fanbase is the most greedy and most disrespectful fanbase in the gaming community as no matter how much Sakurai does for us, people want more and more. This guy has pretty much given the fans more fan service than any developer I can imagine yet the Smash fans are never satisfied.
Is it any wonder that “Never ask me for anything ever again” has gotten so much mileage as it did?
Also, has anyone seen how extensive Mii creation in Miitopia is? Because I found something relevant to this thread on the subject.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
I mean, remember the Road to Hell's one that's paved with otherwise innocent intentions. When it came to wanting characters, many of us wanted Shantae because, hey, it'd be cool to see her make it. However, then you get other people who think of no Shantae (beyond the Spirit) as being not worthy, even if it's Banjo-Kazooie and other exceedingly popular fan requests.
I would be satisfied if the Switch Mii Maker was updated to use the Miitopia Mii Maker, then it'd actually get me almost completely satisfied for a Shantae Mii Costume

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Meh, it's not exclusive to smash fanbase really. Recently I've noticed a lot of people whine in every tweet Ed Boon makes, complaining that he is not giving news on MK11 or whatever as if they are entitled to get news in every next tweet he makes. Ungrateful kids are all over the world, lol.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
I didn't get the demo yet, but I may get it later.

Also, we have been in their shoes back then. I can admit that Smash 4 was my worst point.

Last edited:

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
I feel sorry for people who need to have played a game of origin just to like any character that comes from it. Young me would not have known about half of the series I enjoy today were it not for Melee.
Absolutely. Melee was the second game I ever played (SMB2 was the first, odd starting place), I didn’t recognize anyone aside from Mario and Pikachu just because some of my friends played Pokemon. Smash introduced me not just to almost every game series I’d later grow up with, but games as a whole!

Ehhhh, try not to get too down about it. Online you’re always going to find the most vocally positive AND negative people; people who only talk about the game for ‘the hype’, clicks, and attention. Ultimate has reached almost 24 million people; the few online who act like idiots make it look like a lot, because online attention and algorithm is pretty much tailored to favor overreaction and emotional responses. In short, you see it not because it’s common, but because it’s what gets the most attention.

Pay it no mind and enjoy what you enjoy.

Also, happy Mother’s Day! Keeping it vaguely Shantae themed with the many mothers of the series like, uh... Sky’s Mom! And Squid Baron’s sister who is the mom of all the heart squids! And Shantae’s mom we haven’t properly seen! ...Actually there aren’t a lot of mothers in Shantae, huh.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Hahaha Shantae cant celebrate today lol!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I swear guys, if Shantae is one of the E3 reveals in June I'm going to go ape **** in excitement. I'll scream like a school girl who's crush just accepted them as their boyfriend. Shantae getting in will be extra juicy to me after getting K. Rool, Ridley, Banjo & Kazooie and Sephiroth in this game. I hope it happens.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
We all hope for that day if it comes. Just don't be placed in a bad situation should one invest too much.
Artist: Invdr Scar on Twitter
E0pUiQSXsAAgHcw.jpeg

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Absolutely. Melee was the second game I ever played (SMB2 was the first, odd starting place), I didn’t recognize anyone aside from Mario and Pikachu just because some of my friends played Pokemon. Smash introduced me not just to almost every game series I’d later grow up with, but games as a whole!

Ehhhh, try not to get too down about it. Online you’re always going to find the most vocally positive AND negative people; people who only talk about the game for ‘the hype’, clicks, and attention. Ultimate has reached almost 24 million people; the few online who act like idiots make it look like a lot, because online attention and algorithm is pretty much tailored to favor overreaction and emotional responses. In short, you see it not because it’s common, but because it’s what gets the most attention.

Pay it no mind and enjoy what you enjoy.

Also, happy Mother’s Day! Keeping it vaguely Shantae themed with the many mothers of the series like, uh... Sky’s Mom! And Squid Baron’s sister who is the mom of all the heart squids! And Shantae’s mom we haven’t properly seen! ...Actually there aren’t a lot of mothers in Shantae, huh.
They don't say it outright but the ghost genie in the depths of Siren Island pretty much has to be Harmony's mother.

And Ammo Baron's mom who gifts him tanks. And those ancestors of Hypno Baron's that Officer Shantae threatened to tattle to. And we know Bolo and Techno Baron have grannies, to say nothing of grannie Blobfish.

In a roundabout way, you could say that my gaming career also started with SMB2, in the form of Super Mario Advance being the first game I owned alongside Mario Kart Super Circuit. Until then little me took every excuse to visit people's houses just to play on the consoles they had, from the NES to the N64. Despite one of those houses being one I only visited once a year for the holidays, when I got a little older Kirby's Adventure was the first game I ever beat. And until I saw Kirby in Smash I never even knew he could copy stuff.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I swear guys, if Shantae is one of the E3 reveals in June I'm going to go ape **** in excitement. I'll scream like a school girl who's crush just accepted them their boyfriend. Shatner getting in will be extra juicy to me after getting K. Rool, Ridley, Banjo & Kazooie and Sephiroth in this game. I hope it happens.
William Shatner getting in would be pretty hype, NGL.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
In a roundabout way, you could say that my gaming career also started with SMB2, in the form of Super Mario Advance being the first game I owned
Funny enough that’s what I was referring to as well, haha. But I was actually too bad at the game to get past the first Mouser fight.

...I was 5 and had never played a video game yet. That’s why I count Melee as my first ACTUAL game since I basically got frustrated and ended up not touching the game for years. Mouser nearly killed my interest in video games as a whole before it could even begin.

I will never forgive you Mouser. You don’t need those sunglasses you are indoors.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I swear guys, if Shantae is one of the E3 reveals in June I'm going to go ape **** in excitement. I'll scream like a school girl who's crush just accepted them their boyfriend. Shatner getting in will be extra juicy to me after getting K. Rool, Ridley, Banjo & Kazooie and Sephiroth in this game. I hope it happens.
William Shatner getting in would be pretty hype, NGL.
Wtf?! Again?! DAMN YOU AUTO-CORRECT!!!

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Funny enough that’s what I was referring to as well, haha. But I was actually too bad at the game to get past the first Mouser fight.

...I was 5 and had never played a video game yet. That’s why I count Melee as my first ACTUAL game since I basically got frustrated and ended up not touching the game for years. Mouser nearly killed my interest in video games as a whole before it could even begin.

I will never forgive you Mouser. You don’t need those sunglasses you are indoors.
Those shades could help him not get blinded by his explosives in the dark rooms he inhabits, you know.

Honestly, until I owned the game for myself, I don't remember even actually making it to Mouser at all, let alone his level. Not knowing you can pick things up with B will do that (nobody had instruction books handy or was willing to teach me, as you can probably tell. Heck, for the longest time I ran on the rule of thumb that A=jump and B=attack for every game I played, which obviously was not optimal. I would then go on to religiously read instruction booklets for every game I got). Most of the time, I didn't even have any real goals playing these games, just did what I wanted until I got tired and put in a different game. I would know, because one of those games was Battletoads in Battlemaniacs (the SNES one), a game I'm sure would have me throwing stuff if I was actually committed to making progress.

Last edited:

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
What is everyone's stance on the list leak? Some would say that it's debunked due to Pyra and Mythra, others would say it still stands because Rex was intended but was scrapped and replaced with Pyra and Mythra.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
What is everyone's stance on the list leak? Some would say that it's debunked due to Pyra and Mythra, others would say it still stands because Rex was intended but was scrapped and replaced with Pyra and Mythra.
Well, since they were intending to make Rex & Pyra playable, but couldn't due to technical limitations, I'd say that the 40-Fighter list leak hasn't officially been debunked yet despite what a lot of people have been saying to the contrary.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I don't see it as being particularly valid. If everyone in this thread had made a list of fifty video game characters before FP2 started, some of them would be bound to have some overlap with what we got for Fighters Pass 2. (it isn't even accurate; from what I recall, no ARMS characters are listed, and neither are Pyra or Mythra)

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
Min Min is more the issue than Rex.

I think the list is worth noting for calling out Terry as far back as Joker alone. Not to mention the abscense of Geno who had a very heavy hand in speculation at the time, moreso than spirits like Shantae or Rayman.

Then there's the odd things like Shantae and Quote, but no Shovel Knight or Undertale. Arthur but no Dante. Or Linkle and Lana as the only Zelda suggestions. Chun-Li shortly after Ken and before people even considered her pre Sephiroth. Then you got things like Terry, Lora, Spyro, and Yu. People bring up this list had cast a wide net, but that doesn't matter when it's riddled with holes and picks that defy all reasoning at the time of it's conception.

Regardless, the list is likely not set in stone and if it's real then Covid could have altered it in the long haul.
Still, I just find Terry such an amazing shot in the dark. Not a soul was calling anything SNK let alone Terry specifically right as DLC started.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
How's that?
Nothing ARMS related. I do think it may have been initially unintended as Springman was an assist and the list seems to suggest ATs really do disconfirm. So an AT would be the one thing at this point that would officially debunked it.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Nothing ARMS related. I do think it may have been initially unintended as Springman was an assist and the list seems to suggest ATs really do disconfirm. So an AT would be the one thing at this point that would officially debunked it.
I'm in the mindset that Assist Trophies don't deconfirm a character until Sakurai says otherwise or we get Assist Trophy promotion.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
I'm in the mindset that Assist Trophies don't deconfirm a character until Sakurai says otherwise or we get Assist Trophy promotion.
I'm sort of in that camp. I'm just doubtful of things that get content getting more content immediately after.

We already got Min Min and Pyra/Mythra so who knows how that rabbit hole goes. We've simply never had DLC that lasted this long.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
We've simply never had DLC that lasted this long.
In terms of Smash? Yes. But I use to play the THQ Xbox 360 WWE games and with their DLC they would go on for 3 Season Passes before they stopped in each game. I'm not saying Fighter's Pass 3 is happening in Ultimate, but usually when a company makes something like a Season Pass they usually make at least 3.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Just to lay out the evidence from Smash 4, the DLC wave lasted for two years before the updates were finished. (Bayonetta is still OP with her combo game and little nerfs to follow in Smash 4.)

IDK how much longer Sakurai and Nintendo are going to continue Ultimate, but can't blame people wanting more from the phrase "Everyone is Here"

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I don't see it as being particularly valid. If everyone in this thread had made a list of fifty video game characters before FP2 started, some of them would be bound to have some overlap with what we got for Fighters Pass 2. (it isn't even accurate; from what I recall, no ARMS characters are listed, and neither are Pyra or Mythra)
^ Pretty much what I think on the matter.

I have no solid reason to even amuse that list.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Yeah, we also do know that the Lloyd Mii Costume is the only one that has yet to appear. Coincidence or not, if he isn't part of Nintendo's plans for Fighter status, then his fate is just like Geno.

For Shantae, it's still an uphill battle for her as other characters seems have more priority. Based on people's speculation and leaks for how often it was brought up, hard to gauge

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, we also do know that the Lloyd Mii Costume is the only one that has yet to appear. Coincidence or not, if he isn't part of Nintendo's plans for Fighter status, then his fate is just like Geno.

For Shantae, it's still an uphill battle for her as other characters seems have more priority. Based on people's speculation and leaks for how often it was brought up, hard to gauge

Seems to have more priority?

Based on... sales? ... Google graphs? ... Someone else from totally different series owned by someone else entirely that fit that "Indie" quota being an assist or Mii? That interview? The general conscious agreement?

I'm probably shooting myself in the foot because Geno's fate does have me on the edge of my seat because it can swing into a spirit board or Mii hat. But, people do realize an insignificant western third party, from an insignificant yet highly requested IP, somehow managed to defy all logic and snag a Smash Tag despite the only 3rd parties graced to have them are either represented with an assist or full blown fighters from said company?

I once brought this up on the Speculation board, only to greeted venomously by the head of the Isaac board. Who not only dismisses the thought of Shantae showing up before... pretty much anything else under the sun. But regularly potshots the character as she beats around the bush that she's too obscure or a horny bandwagon with thumbs up across the chamber.

People like that remind me of why I'm a social shut in irl.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Seems to have more priority?

Based on... sales? ... Google graphs? ... Someone else from totally different series owned by someone else entirely that fit that "Indie" quota being an assist or Mii? That interview? The general conscious agreement?

I'm probably shooting myself in the foot because Geno's fate does have me on the edge of my seat because it can swing into a spirit board or Mii hat. But, people do realize an insignificant western third party, from an insignificant yet highly requested IP, somehow managed to defy all logic and snag a Smash Tag despite the only 3rd parties graced to have them are either represented with an assist or full blown fighters from said company?

I once brought this up on the Speculation board, only to greeted venomously by the head of the Isaac board. Who not only dismisses the thought of Shantae showing up before... pretty much anything else under the sun. But regularly potshots the character as she beats around the bush that she's too obscure or a horny bandwagon with thumbs up across the chamber.

People like that remind me of why I'm a social shut in irl.
Just been watching for a while. I know there are some information that isn't 100% true. That's the internet for you, opinions always vary depending on what's trending or not.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
"Ret-2-go!" ? or something else? I think they would go with "is ret-2-go!" very easily, but that's just me.

View attachment 314760
In my opinion either "Ret-2-Go!" Or "Shantae Makes the Wish Come True!" As that was one of the Smash Ballot taglines WayForward used in their Shantae Smash Ballot campaign. Actually, it was "Make the wish come true!" But still.

Top Bottom