• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
In my opinion either "Ret-2-Go!" Or "Shantae Makes the Wish Come True!" As that was one of the Smash Ballot taglines WayForward used in their Shantae Smash Ballot campaign. Actually, it was "Make the wish come true!" But still.
I feel like they would go with "Shantae Is Ret-2-Go" for her reveal since it's a cute reference to her games. That's just me though.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I feel like they would go with "Shantae Is Ret-2-Go" for her reveal since it's a cute reference to her games. That's just me though.
"Ret-2-Go!" Is the most obvious tagline they would use for Shantae. But thinking about it now knowing Sakurai, he would probably go with something else perhaps relating to her genie powers or what not.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
"Ret-2-Go!" Is the most obvious tagline they would use for Shantae. But thinking about it now knowing Sakurai, he would probably go with something else perhaps relating to her genie powers or what not.
So? Mewtwo Strikes Back was the obvious tagline for Mewtwo's reveal trailer back in Smash 4, and they still did it. If it makes sense, it shouldn't matter if it's obvious.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Check your email for those that have been waiting for the standard Shantae GBC from LRG. The order has been shipped out.

Last edited:

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
From what I understand, the taglines are a localization thing. The Japanese original text all simply say "(insert character) joins the battle".

As for pertaining to her abilities:

"Shantae Whips into Shape!" would be my vote.

Last edited:

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
From what I understand, the taglines are a localization thing. The Japanese original text all simply say "(insert character) joins the battle".

As for pertaining to her abilities:

"Shantae Whips into Shape!" would be my vote.
Obviously "Shantae Pays It Forward!" is the only choice. I think it's fitting, at least, since Banjo & Kazooie already had "Are Raring To Go!" as their tagline.

Dukefire

Smash Master
It may be an anchor or ruining hype for what I have to say, but it is up on how the content is to you.

I can see that Shantae may not be part of the Fighters status with the current trend being characters of most wanted from others. Example would be Crash Bandicoot may have a better shot for now with his history to butt heads with Sonic and Mario Back in the 90s or another company that helped Ultimate's development could have another rep. However, Surprises can appear in many forms and boy people can either love or hate it when it arrives.

Other characters could be in the same position, but hype and trends is a flimsy shield depending on factors and creators. In the End, I'm happy that shantae gets to be part of the characters that people enjoy in gaming history despite her humble beginnings back in 2002.

Last edited:

Silvera

Jammin' Jammies
3DS FC
4914-7114-2601
Switch FC
SW-2130-5650-7930
Some good news for today.

The collector's editions (except for GBC) are now on deck. I also got an email confirming mine is scheduled to ship out soon.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Chill man. Whether she gets in or not is not within our control, and it isn't something to go crazy over.
I'm not going crazy over that it's just I want to know Shantae's fate in Smash as soon as possible is it a yes or no for playable status? You know what I mean? I can wait until next game it's just the suspense is killing me.

Last edited:

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
I'm not going crazy over that it's just I want to know Shantae's fate in Smash as soon as possible is it a yes or no for playable status? You know what I mean? I can wait until next game it's just the suspense is killing me.
I know what you mean.

I don't want to wait even longer just to get burned. That wait was already excessively cruel for Geno's supporters.

That's what got me pessimistic personally, they really don't seem to gaf about being delicate or ripping that bandaid off immediately. They know a large chunk of us are hanging on only by a single character request and it's sickening that it seems as they're exploiting that.

We already got spirits and a Smash tag in the base game, so we know Shantae has something going on. It's doubtful it's a full blown Character Pack, but I can't help but dream.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
The only thing causing me any anxiety is if we’re getting the announcement of only one or both characters at E3. My heart can handle one but after the Hero Banjo combo I don’t know if I can handle a second round of that, no matter who it is!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The only thing causing me any anxiety is if we’re getting the announcement of only one or both characters at E3. My heart can handle one but after the Hero Banjo combo I don’t know if I can handle a second round of that, no matter who it is!
I'm pretty sure we are getting two Smash reveals at E3 since every E3 that has had Smash announcements has at least announced 2 newcomers at most.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
On the topic of if the pandemic really did anything or not, and why I expect nothing big in terms of reveal for the last 2 fighters, I will tag the huge incoming wall of text as a spoiler, just to spare people from having to scroll a lot, lol.
I personally don't think the pandemic really did anything huge to the 2nd Pass' development. If it did it was very minimal, as they have said a few times that they have been on schedule despite having to work from home.

We know for a fact that they develop batches of 3 characters at the same time (we know this from Sakurai himself), and seeing how Sephiroth took less than two months to reveal and release after Steve, is proof enough that they've been indeed on schedule from the start, and that Sephiroth was always gonna be at TGA and not earlier. He was the big reveal in a gaming event.

Steve was probably always gonna be revealed after E3 as well, the guy took the team effort of reworking / readjusting all the stages and its freaking variants for his gameplay gimmick to work on them. It makes sense that he took multiple months to be revealed after Min Min. Would he have been still revealed early alongside Min Min in a hypothetical E3 in 2020? Hard to say, considering he was revealed in the same week as Minecon, I think there's a chance that he was scheduled to be ready for Minecon to make a highlight of his inclusion in Smash, which they did highlight.

Min Min full reveal and release was in June, but I think many people are assuming she would've happened earlier if it wasn't for the pandemic, because people have this idea that Pass 2 was going to start right away a couple months later after Pass 1 ended with Byleth……… I don't know where people got this idea, but whatever… I'm just saying, maybe it was always the plan to start Pass 2 a few months later than usual to give themselves a little break after Pass 1? 🤷‍♂️ I don't think they ever intended starting Pass 2 right away after Byleth. You gotta keep in mind that the pandemic didn't hit Japan hard until mid April 2020, which by that point Min Min has been in development for a while already. Would she have been revealed and released prior to the hypothetical 2020 E3? Maybe, but not so much earlier when you remember how the pandemic didn't really start affecting them until mid April, which at that point June wasn't far away. Again, they said they were on schedule with pass 2, several times, and the fact that Steve was ready before Minecon, and Sephiroth by The Game Awards, is enough proof of that, in my opinion. And Pyra also didn't take longer than 2 months after Sephiroth, to be revealed, so yeah… they clearly have had a nice pace on releases of DLC fighters of Pass 2 despite the Pandemic. I don't think we were ever gonna get 2 reveals in June 2020. The reveals happened as and when they intended them to.

It was more due to the timing of the start of the pass and how they scheduled the first half of the pass to happen. We are perfectly in time to get a new reveal in June, which is further proof that they have really been always on schedule, despite not having more than one ready in June 2020.

So the big question… Will they do 2 or 1 reveal?…
There are 2 ways this can go:

a) They do 1 reveal only at E3, because there is no reason nor pressure or hurry to reveal 2 huge characters anymore, we already got the 2 huge characters of Pass 2, their names are Steve and Sephiroth and they happened in positions of the pass similar to how and when big reveals of base game and Pass 1 went.

b) They do 2 reveals, not because we are ending on a high note, because we are not, lol… But because they might make this E3 direct similar to the one we had earlier this year, which covered the first half of 2021 announcements and releases. So they might just make a similar direct where they just cover all of the things happening on the second half of 2021, including the Smash reveals.

It's a 50/50 situation if you ask me, both ways are just as likely imo.
But hey, that's just me and how I analyzed the situation based on some facts. Feel free to disagree, lol.

Even more nice fanart of Shantae.

Last edited:

Chaosmaster8753

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaoticZelos3578
3DS FC
2750-1187-7177
I'm just saying, everytime we did get Smash reveals at E3 we always get at least 2. Never has there been a E3 with only one Smash reveal before.
Would it be more beneficial for the hype machine to withold the last character until closer to the time they'll release it like they've done for every other character in FP2, especially if this is the end for DLC?

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Would it be more beneficial for the hype machine to withold the last character until closer to the time they'll release it like they've done for every other character in FP2, especially if this is the end for DLC?
That's what I think they will do. There is no reason or pressure for them to do 2 reveals at this event, since it's not gonna push the sales more than they already did, plus we never end on high notes, so why even do it. I personally would want both reveals already just to get it out of the way but I can perfectly see them keeping the mystery till the very last reveal, just like they did with pass 1.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
See, that’s what makes it confusing.

On the one hand, E3 2019 showed off two characters. Hero was shown off the next month, and Banjo was shown off 3 months after his announcement. So showing off both characters here would still allow them to present it later.

However, these are the LAST characters of the pass, while Hero and Banjo were the middle. They show off both now, and they overshoot the December deadline for FP2 by a longshot.

HOWEVER, if they only show off one, how much longer will the wait for the final fighter be? Months? Will they close in right at the wire like Byleth did or end early? And if they’re gonna end it before December anyway, why not announce it now?

That’s the kind of question that’s hard to answer.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
See, that’s what makes it confusing.

On the one hand, E3 2019 showed off two characters. Hero was shown off the next month, and Banjo was shown off 3 months after his announcement. So showing off both characters here would still allow them to present it later.

However, these are the LAST characters of the pass, while Hero and Banjo were the middle. They show off both now, and they overshoot the December deadline for FP2 by a longshot.

HOWEVER, if they only show off one, how much longer will the wait for the final fighter be? Months? Will they close in right at the wire like Byleth did or end early? And if they’re gonna end it before December anyway, why not announce it now?

Is it wrong to release the last fighters months earlier than December 31st? I figured that date didn't mean anything special besides being an extended placeholder date. It only took around 9 months for all of Fighters Pass 1 to release, and even with the delays of Fighter Pass 2 from COVID, they've still had a year and a half to release six fighters, so I don't know why people are under the impression that the final 2 characters are gonna be dragged out for several months. Especially after they've had a more consistent 2-month release schedule after Steve came out like Fighter Pass 1 had.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion

Uhh September like Terry, maybe? literally another 2 month gap perfectly placed. September has been the month for final news of the year for years now, so if there was another direct it could be part of it (otherwise it would be just a sakurai presents). October as latest if somehow the character takes as long as Steve did, which I doubt any other character would ever take that long lol.

Is it wrong to release the last fighters months earlier than December 31st? I figured that date didn't mean anything special besides being an extended placeholder date. It only took around 9 months for all of Fighters Pass 1 to release, and even with the delays of Fighter Pass 2 from COVID, they've still had a year and a half to release six fighters, so I don't know why people are under the impression that the final 2 characters are gonna be dragged out for several months. Especially after they've had a more consistent 2-month release schedule after Steve came out like Fighter Pass 1 had.
Yeah December 31st is just a deadline they set themselves, lol. Doesn't really mean anything else.

Last edited:

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
Uhh September like Terry, maybe? literally another 2 month gap perfectly placed. September has been the month for final news of the year for years now, so if there was another direct it could be part of it (otherwise it would be just a sakurai presents). October as latest if somehow the character takes as long as Steve did, which I doubt any other character would ever take that long lol.
See that’s what I mean though. If they were just going to release the last character a month or two after the penultimate one, why wouldn’t they announce both of them at E3 like they did with Hero and Banjo? As opposed to only announcing one and then announcing the last one whenever.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
See that’s what I mean though. If they were just going to release the last character a month or two after the penultimate one, why wouldn’t they announce both of them at E3 like they did with Hero and Banjo? As opposed to only announcing one and then announcing the last one whenever.
I mean we could literally ask the same about Pass 1 which didn't do it either. It's just them wanting to milk the hype for the game and its last coming content till the very end, instead of ending the mystery of 2 characters right away. I think it can go either way honestly, none of both ways makes less sense than the other if that's just… what they want to do lol.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Either choice Nintendo and Sakurai decides on, we can agree that a lot of people are ready for the Final 2. Which is going to scary and intense depending on the crowd of fans.
Screenshot_20210510-100102_YouTube.jpg

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
The last scariest thing will be seeing the mii costumes of CP10 if we only get one reveal in June. If we get both reveals then at least there won't be any fear to have anymore haha.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
The last scariest thing will be seeing the mii costumes of CP10 if we only get one reveal in June. If we get both reveals then at least there won't be any fear to have anymore haha.
I’m crossing my fingers for the Lloyd outfit and no new indie Miis to support my hope that the final character will be Shantae and a whole pack of indie Miis with music.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
I’m crossing my fingers for the Lloyd outfit and no new indie Miis to support my hope that the final character will be Shantae and a whole pack of indie Miis with music.
At this point, I'm expecting the Lloyd Mii costume to come back as well, especially if Challenger 10 is gonna be a swordfighter character like Ryu Hayabusa. That's my prediction for Challenger Pack 10 anyway.

But unfortunately, I'm also banking more on a Shantae Mii costume happening at this point. I don't know why, and I'm sad to admit it, but I just don't think Shantae's happening this time...

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
At this point, I'm expecting the Lloyd Mii costume to come back as well, especially if Challenger 10 is gonna be a swordfighter character like Ryu Hayabusa. That's my prediction for Challenger Pack 10 anyway.

But unfortunately, I'm also banking more on a Shantae Mii costume happening at this point. I don't know why, and I'm sad to admit it, but I just don't think Shantae's happening this time...
Honestly I feel like if they were given material by Wayforward and they only did a spirit back then, then there was never gonna be a mii of her. Or rather they would've done it already back then.

I think they would just go for a fighter knowing the demand as the most requested indie character i've known.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Welcome to Demon School Iruma-kun season 2 ep 4

Edit: for E3 when the time comes, here are the ideas Smash Ultimate's announcements will appear:
1. One fighter is announced only
2. Like the First one, but with another announcement on future plans after challenger 10
3. Double reveal like E3 2019

Last edited:
Top Bottom