• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

MattX20

Smash Hero
FP10 is guaranteed to be a June reveal and release since there will have been enough time since Pyra and Mythra's release for the next character, and a reason why I'm fairly confident we'll get both of the remaining pass characters revealed. At the latest, FP11 is a September release going off the DLC reveal patterns

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I don't see a Shantae Mii happening. It's either she's not in or she's in. No other options. It's too hard to adapt her as a Mii as none of the Mii categories actually represent who he is. She's not a brawler-type, a gunner-type or a swordfighter-type. She's her own thing.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Honestly, I don't see a Shantae Mii happening. It's either she's not in or she's in. No other options. It's too hard to adapt her as a Mii as none of the Mii categories actually represent who he is. She's not a brawler-type, a gunner-type or a swordfighter-type. She's her own thing.
Even if she doesn't get one, I still think it's more likely than Shantae being playable at this point. Also, I think Brawler would fit Shantae pretty well if she does get a Mii costume.

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
Even if she doesn't get one, I still think it's more likely than Shantae being playable at this point. Also, I think Brawler would fit Shantae pretty well if she does get a Mii costume.
Eeeeh, I don't think so. Shantae's not a character who gets into hand to hand combat. Also, at this point, anything can happen. There's nothing likely or unlikely. Anything is possible. So don't worry. Maybe you should take some time to calm down and think this through a little bit.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Eeeeh, I don't think so. Shantae's not a character who gets into hand to hand combat. Also, at this point, anything can happen. There's nothing likely or unlikely. Anything is possible. So don't worry. Maybe you should take some time to calm down and think this through a little bit.
But... I'm fine. I just don't think Shantae is coming now...

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Personally, I think Challenger Pack 10 is guaranteed to be revealed at E3. And thanks to previous precedent, it's entirely possible that Challenger Pack 11 could be revealed as well.

Finally, I still think there's a chance of a possible Fighter's Pass Vol. 3 being announced either at E3 or sometime after (unless either Nintendo or Sakurai straight-up says that these two are the final characters).

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Finally, I still think there's a chance of a possible Fighter's Pass Vol. 3 being announced either at E3 or sometime after (unless either Nintendo or Sakurai straight-up says that these two are the final characters).
They did though. Over a year ago they said that Fighter Pass Vol. 2 was the final DLC for Ultimate.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Where did they say that?

Plus, plans can change in a year.
Sakurai reaffirmed during the Pyra/Mythra presentation that there were only two more chances to put those kinds of showcases out, so it's still looking extremely likely that FP2 is the end.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Where did they say that?

Plus, plans can change in a year.
Masahiro Sakurai: After the 5 remaining characters for the Fighters Pass Vol. 2 are released, the continuous development since Smash 4 will end (eventhubs.com)

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's second fighter pass is its last • Eurogamer.net

There's more than these articles, trust me. Not to mention Sakurai saying there would only be two more opportunities for Sakurai Presents presentations in the Pyra/Mythra presentation. I think it's pretty final that there's only 2 more fighters left.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
There's more than these articles, trust me. Not to mention Sakurai saying there would only be two more opportunities for Sakurai Presents presentations in the Pyra/Mythra presentation. I think it's pretty final that there's only 2 more fighters left.
This. Sakurai literally said it again recently this year at that presentation. There are no changes in plans. This is it.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
If the Switch Mii Maker gets updated to use the Miitopia Mii Maker, I would absolutely be open to Shantae as a Mii Fighter Costume.
Geno fans would certainly appreciate that too, because man… having to look at that mii's face again is just a nightmare, lol

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Ok, so there is a new theory going around involving voice work attached to new fighters (both the fighter's voice and the cheering crowd)

The long and short of it is the suggestion that new inclusions might favor characters who require less voice work. As in characters who either don't speak or who can have the same voice work used across all regional versions of the games. The emphasis seems to be more on how many people need to be hired and not how many lines they need to have that person read.

If you want to see the PapaGeno's video about it...

Anyway, here is a question maybe one of you has an answer to, what have they done with the voice acting of Shantae games in Japan? Have they just left the English lines? Did they dub them? And if they dubbed them, was It Christina Vee reading Japanese lines.

Because if they dubbed it, and had Christina read the Japanese lines, then that would work in her favor for getting added if this trend regarding FP voice work was more than a coincidence. Because if this were the case then They would still only be hiring one voice actor for the character and using the same lines across regions.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
Ok, so there is a new theory going around involving voice work attached to new fighters (both the fighter's voice and the cheering crowd)

The long and short of it is the suggestion that new inclusions might favor characters who require less voice work. As in characters who either don't speak or who can have the same voice work used across all regional versions of the games. The emphasis seems to be more on how many people need to be hired and not how many lines they need to have that person read.

If you want to see the PapaGeno's video about it...

Anyway, here is a question maybe one of you has an answer to, what have they done with the voice acting of Shantae games in Japan? Have they just left the English lines? Did they dub them? And if they dubbed them, was It Christina Vee reading Japanese lines.

Because if they dubbed it, and had Christina read the Japanese lines, then that would work in her favor for getting added if this trend regarding FP voice work was more than a coincidence. Because if this were the case then They would still only be hiring one voice actor for the character and using the same lines across regions.
Ok addressing one thing first (albeit having not seen the video since I’m at work but seeing your summary of it) - The theory claims that new inclusions would favor characters that require less voice work? We just got a character with differing Japanese and English voices, with two full sets of voice lines each, an additional 2 more voices to cover Rex, and 2 more for Gramps on the stage. That’s 6 voice actors,three English and 3 Japanese, plus 3 more for every other region that redubbed them.

I don’t think the number of voice actors they need to hire is a big issue.

But to answer your question, no, the Shantae games have their written dialogue translated in each region but to my knowledge the only voice lines recorded are in English using the original cast.

EDIT: Just watched the video. Yeah... that’s a load. Basically it says that because in FP2 so far all of the crowd cheering has only had Japanese names or the English names, and thus ANY character with names different outside of those two languages are deconfirmed because they didn’t hire people to say the names in different languages.

...Which is a strange leap to make considering all of the characters except Pyra and Mythra have had the same names globally, and even Pyra/Mythra keep their names the same as either Homura/Hikari or Pyra/Mythra no matter the region. They probably did it as a cost saving measure for such a small part of the game when it wasn’t super necessary. In short, it’s just another leak saying “because it hasn’t happened yet, it MUST be true”, just like FP1 being 3rd party before Byleth, or only or FP2 being 1st party only and FP2 being only spirit upgrades before Steve. Take no grains of salt with this theory, it’s chock full of holes.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Hey
My Switch Collector's Editions for Shantae GBC and Risky's Revenge finally came in today

View attachment 315583

Not fortunate enough to physically own Pirate's Curse on Switch ($500+ for the standard version is ridiculous) but I also have the Day 1 Edition of Half Genie Hero and the CE for Seven Sirens.
Considering pirates Curse my collector's edition on switch is sealed in box brand new how much would that be worth?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Would it be more beneficial for the hype machine to withold the last character until closer to the time they'll release it like they've done for every other character in FP2, especially if this is the end for DLC?
I don't know. Them only revealing one fighter at E3 and than waiting to reveal the last in December to lineup with the deadline would be kind of anticlimactic. Why not end the Smash announcements at E3 the biggest gaming event of the year instead?

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
No that's pre-owned copies mines unopened
The only brand new one I saw was cheaper than a pre-owned copy, and we both know that's not right.

Also, am I alone here in opening my CEs? I understand the appeal of keeping them sealed since the value will go up but I like opening my stuff and using them.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I was thinking about the other physical shantae games I was unable to get. The prices online just let me stop.

Edit: I finally got my physical copy for the Shantae GBC.

Last edited:

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
"Went pear-shaped" is a phrase that means for something to go wrong or to go poorly. (I have no idea why)
I guess it's because of the shape itself. It goes from small at the top to suddenly large at the bottom.

Sort of like the price tag from the source to the scalpers.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I'm willing to give in and buy a Shantae figure if she gets in. I'm doing the same for Lloyd, but he would wreck my wallet considering his statue is nearly 400$ lol… or I could be smart and just buy the amiibo of whoever gets in haha.

Chaosmaster8753

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaoticZelos3578
3DS FC
2750-1187-7177
I'm still wondering if WF might give any of the Shantae games a 120fps mode on PS5/Series X-S someday?

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
The only brand new one I saw was cheaper than a pre-owned copy, and we both know that's not right.

Also, am I alone here in opening my CEs? I understand the appeal of keeping them sealed since the value will go up but I like opening my stuff and using them.
Nah, I'm opening mine. I ain't selling it,. And I'm going to enjoy the hell out of them.

Top Bottom