• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
So sakurai says he has a draw locked with the future fighter figures. Know who has a figure and is still likely with second chance theory?

View attachment 305827

Edit: Damn you ninjaing me with my own theory!!!!
Now I can't shake the thought of Sakurai gleefully assembling his Shantae Charagumin figure.
And probably Risky and Rotty too.

Last edited:

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
I never believed in the concert leak to begin with. The concert itself can still become reality, but we won't be getting Crash and MH as CP10 and CP11.

I like how Sakurai uses figures of characters for modelling reference. That helps our girl. And fun fact: Toho used a digital scan of a 1998 Godzilla toy to create Zilla for Godzilla: Final Wars, which was released in 2004.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Honestly, I have a feeling that the next character really will be our last chance.
Since for the very last entry, I am expecting Fire Emblem or Pokemon.
Or at the very least, another brand-deal character that will just piss people off again, like Byleth did.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I still believe Shantae did really well in the Smash Ballot and somehow caught Sakurai's attention in some way. Remember that option in the Smash Ballot where you could choose which gender you were when voting? Well, I think Shantae was one of if not the most voted female character in the Ballot only behind Bayonetta. I think we might got this guys. But either way, I'm going down with this ship.

Dukefire

Smash Master
The 2 remaining figures for the unreleased DLC fighters is anyone's guess. Still, sakurai uses them for reference.

Also, no new amiibos announced. Meaning amiibo theory will be dry

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I think with the rate at which they've been announcing and releasing characters, it's probably going to be a June FP10 Reveal, June/July FP10 Release, then either a double reveal in June of FP11 with a Fall FP11 release, or Fall FP11 Reveal and Release. Either way, I assume that Pass 2 will be over by end of fall.

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
I think with the rate at which they've been announcing and releasing characters, it's probably going to be a June FP10 Reveal, June/July FP10 Release, then either a double reveal in June of FP11 with a Fall FP11 release, or Fall FP11 Reveal and Release. Either way, I assume that Pass 2 will be over by end of fall.
One thing is certain. The pass will not end on December 31st, like I believed until a week or two ago.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
What other new Fire Emblem character could they add that could promote another game? Isn't Three Houses the last FE game to release, and is already currently represented in Smash?

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Scamper52596 Scamper52596
Well, a character doesn't have to promote another game.
It could just be another case of Piranha Plant, where Sakurai made the character just because he liked it.

Though I guess that doesn't really qualify as a "Brand deal character" in that case.
I guess a Pokemon promoting the incoming Pokemon games, would fit that description better.

Either way, I think what I meant to say was, is that I expect this Fighter's Pass to end on a low note, with a character barely anybody cares about.
Just like it happened with Fighter's Pass 1, when it ended with Byleth.
(And I still think some of the criticisms against his inclusion are justified.)

Last edited:

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
I mean... the article says the tournament is to commemorate Pokémon’s 25th anniversary. So of course they’re gonna do it now, over Pokémon’s 25th anniversary. I don’t think it rules out a Pokemon at all.

That said I’d still say a Pokémon isn’t super likely; they missed the timing for both Sword/Shield’s relevance as well as the 25th anniversary month having Pyra and Mythra instead. Still POSSIBLE, but less likely in my eyes.

What other new Fire Emblem character could they add that could promote another game? Isn't Three Houses the last FE game to release, and is already currently represented in Smash?
There really isn’t one. People are just being doom and gloom because Fire Emblem Bad. There won’t be a fire emblem rep in this pass.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
I think Nintendo would be crazy to stuff another FE character in this Fighter's Pass, honestly. I'm all for being pessimistic about the final character inclusion, but another FE character is a little bit too far for me. XD

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I think Nintendo would be crazy to stuff another FE character in this Fighter's Pass, honestly. I'm all for being pessimistic about the final character inclusion, but another FE character is a little bit too far for me. XD
I can see what you're saying. And yet, I can still see it as a possibility.
Of course, that's just one possibility.
There really isn’t one. People are just being doom and gloom because Fire Emblem Bad. There won’t be a fire emblem rep in this pass.
If you have a problem with me, why not just go ahead and say it?

I am talking possibilities. And as it stands, I cannot completely rule out the possibility.
I thought another Fire Emblem character was not gonna happen in Fighter's Pass 1, considering Sakurai's apprehension with Corrin in Smash 4.
And yet it happened again with Byleth. So who's to say it can't happen once again?
It wouldn't surprise me anyone, to be honest.

Of course, if it's not gonna happen, and this Pass actually ends on a high note, with a worthy last character, bringing a new series into Smash, making a lot of people happy, you won't see me complaining.
But at this point, I am not too optimistic, that this is gonna happen.
So please stop with the gaslighting, because I consider all possibilities.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
The way I see it, being fair I view Ryu Hayabusa, Crash, Rayman, Shantae, Lloyd, and Yuri as the remaining possible choices

But.....personally speaking I see Ryu as only likely cause he had those fake leaks getting discussion about him all riled up way back, and I dont see us getting ANOTHER fantasy JRPG character. My own bias reduce it to Crash Shantae and Rayman...but the first list above is more fair and unbiased.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
I thought another Fire Emblem character was not gonna happen in Fighter's Pass 1, considering Sakurai's apprehension with Corrin in Smash 4.
And yet it happened again with Byleth. So who's to say it can't happen once again?
Because Corrin and Byleth both were added due to new games releasing. There aren’t any new FE games coming out right now, and constantly worrying over Fire Emblem like this boogeyman that’s always looming around the corner gets annoying after a while. It’s about calming down, realizing why certain characters were likely picked, and why another Fire Emblem character has no reason to be in Fighters Pass 2. Randomly throwing around a term like gaslighting doesn’t make your argument stronger.

MattX20

Smash Hero
The way I see it, being fair I view Ryu Hayabusa, Crash, Rayman, Shantae, Lloyd, and Yuri as the remaining possible choices

But.....personally speaking I see Ryu as only likely cause he had those fake leaks getting discussion about him all riled up way back, and I dont see us getting ANOTHER fantasy JRPG character. My own bias reduce it to Crash Shantae and Rayman...but the first list above is more fair and unbiased.
That's more or less how I see it also

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman

While I can see why someone could feel that way about Ryu and Tales of, I just can't imagine back to back western characters.

And I say this as a guy who would enter an eternal state of nirvana if it was Shantae and Crash.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Because Corrin and Byleth both were added due to new games releasing. There aren’t any new FE games coming out right now, and constantly worrying over Fire Emblem like this boogeyman that’s always looming around the corner gets annoying after a while. It’s about calming down, realizing why certain characters were likely picked, and why another Fire Emblem character has no reason to be in Fighters Pass 2. Randomly throwing around a term like gaslighting doesn’t make your argument stronger.
And who said I was not calm?
I merely said another Fire Emblem character is something I can see happening.
Make of it what you will.

It's not me who needs to calm down, especially since this is the second time you're getting offensive over this.
I never attacked you or anything.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I could see any of those characters, but based on Min-Min, Steve, Sephiroth, and now Pyra & Mythra, I'm not sure I really would expect anything as the likely scenario. I see no reason why Namco couldn't rep something else if they wanted to be in the pass, like Taiko no Tatusjin, which has been around for a couple decades as well. (Not saying I don't think Lloyd or Yuri is more likely, but they never felt like the obligatory Namco pick, just like Sephiroth was one of the last Square characters I would have expected.)

I don't see why in addition to your list, Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, any Nippon Ichi (Disgaea, Ys) character, etc, couldn't show up too.

I dunno, just based on what we've had in the pass and the relative unexpectedness of any of them (heck, Banjo I think seems the least surprising to me, besides Byleth), that I wouldn't be surprised in the least if it was two more characters nobody guessed. I've loved all the DLC so far, so I'm excited for whatever comes up, honestly.

Last edited:

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
Two more interesting thing about the Mii selection this time around

1: The only yet-to-return Mii costume from 4 (not counting a few generic costume pieces from the base game) being Lloyd means that, assuming the Lloyd costume returns, then one of the characters will be coming with only new costumes - or if Lloyd for some reason doesn’t return, then both will. The only other DLC fighter to do that in Ultimate was Hero.

2: We still haven’t had any new Indie Miis with music tracks despite Nintendo continuing to heavily promote indie games.

So I continue with my baseless theory that Shantae could bring an all-Indie Mii set with her since at minimum one of the new fighters has to have all new mii fighter costumes in their selection.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Was the Arthur (Ghosts and Goblins) mii costume to promote the new Ghosts and Goblins game that came out last week?
Yeah - that's what Sakurai said in the presentation, I think. (I'll have to double check it, but I'm pretty sure he mentioned Monster Hunter Rise and the new Ghosts 'n' Goblins as the reason for those costumes being included)

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Yeah - that's what Sakurai said in the presentation, I think. (I'll have to double check it, but I'm pretty sure he mentioned Monster Hunter Rise and the new Ghosts 'n' Goblins as the reason for those costumes being included)
So if Arthur's mii costume was to promote the new Ghosts and Goblins game, and Travis (No More Heroes) got a mii costume a year prior to the release of No More Heroes. Could Dragonoid (Bakugan) be getting a mii costume in one of the final 2 mii costume rounds?

Please refer to my previous posts here for clarification about Bakugan being originally intended to be a videogame.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
Looking at his exact quote, he just said he was excited to hear a new GnG game was coming, but yeah, the fact they chose Arthur right around when the GnG anniversary game was coming out seems like that’s the reason.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Looking at his exact quote, he just said he was excited to hear a new GnG game was coming, but yeah, the fact they chose Arthur right around when the GnG anniversary game was coming out seems like that’s the reason.
I don't think Resurrection is supposed to be an anniversary game.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Imagine if Shantae is the final newcomer announced for Ultimate. Wouldn't that be amazing? I think so.
That would be pretty sweet, not going to lie! Shantae or not, I hope they end on a high note instead of the sort of "well, okay" that Smash 4 did. Not that I don't like Corrin (I do) and Bayo's fine too.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
That would be pretty sweet, not going to lie! Shantae or not, I hope they end on a high note instead of the sort of "well, okay" that Smash 4 did. Not that I don't like Corrin (I do) and Bayo's fine too.
I think it would be amazing if Ultimate's roster ended on Crash and Shantae. I think it's a likely scenario.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I think Shantae is CP10. While Shantae would do fine as CP11, it would feel a bit weird.
Well if Shantae makes it in, we might get Bill and Lance (Contra) as mii costumes given that every western rep has been released with a Konami mii costume, Banjo had Goemon, and Steve had Bomberman.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Pretty amazing that Shantae continues to survive these Smash updates, only leaving less and less potential competition for her. I was pretty set on FP9 being the one she was most likely to be if she was in this pass, but I still don't wanna lose hope that she could still be 10 or even 11. I thought a Monster Hunter character was pretty likely, but now I don't think that'll be the case anymore. Fun how speculation is always thrown for a loop every update no matter what. :laugh:

Top Bottom