• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Now, a lot has said it, but I'll say it again. Who do you think is Challenger 8 at the VGA tonight? Don't count coincidences and leaks to make the choices as legit as possible.

I can't tell who, but I think it might be Crash or Doom Slayer. Yours?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
There was a problem fetching the tweet

FINALLY

Now, a lot has said it, but I'll say it again. Who do you think is Challenger 8 at the VGA tonight? Don't count coincidences and leaks to make the choices as legit as possible.

I can't tell who, but I think it might be Crash or Doom Slayer. Yours?
I have no idea.

Last edited:

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Hype responsibly kids, but still I’m excited to see who it’s gonna be!

It’s interesting that they announced a fighter is coming in advance though - 2018 they didn’t announce a fighter and we got one, 2019 they didn’t announce a fighter and we didn’t get one, and now 2020 they did announce one. I doubt it’s because of people whining about last year, but maybe because the event had to gl fully digital and they want to make sure as many people watch as possible?

As always, rooting for Shantae, but would be happy with almost anyone else, especially if it comes as a surprise.

View attachment 294853
Well, I did say that they didn't make a separate Tweet shooting down any more Fighter reveals other than one. I'm wondering...

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I think I've felt this way since they announced that Fighter's Pass 1 would be revealed periodically instead of at the beginning. So basically since the beginning, hah.
I feel like this every single time a reveal is near and also after one.
I really don't know why reveals stress me out so much. X_X

Dukefire

Smash Master
It is the usual feeling for a lot of people. Have some calming Animal Crossing music to pass the time and set aside the hype for a bit. Breathe.......

Last edited:

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
How long will we have to wait for Mr Sakurai Presents? When Joker was revealed two years ago, it took until April to get a full showcase of him.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Few days, a week or 2? I know Sakurai Presents video won't be too far after the trailer drops.
I hope it's something like Steve, where his presentation came two days after his reveal. I am confident that Shantae won't come as a Mii with whoever is Fighter 8.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
I don't know guys. I'm pretty tired from work today. Hopefully the reveal is early on, cause I might go to bed early tonight...

As for predictions, go Crash, Ryu Hayabusa and/or Shantae! 👍👍👍

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I doubt the reveal will be super late, but I also don't think it'll be early. Maybe 2 hours in?

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
How long will we have to wait for Mr Sakurai Presents? When Joker was revealed two years ago, it took until April to get a full showcase of him.
Remember, it took longer for Joker because of the development cycle.

According to Sakurai, the DLC was decided late in Smash’s development; no exact date but there were statements that the DLC plan was finalized sometime in November. That meant that they likely didn’t start working on characters until December since they had to finish, publish, and ship the base game, but Joker’s trailer being entirely animated meant it could be worked on regardless. So Joker’s announcement trailer dropped in December, the first look at Joker’s model wasn’t until a Nintendo direct in February, and then the actual Sakurai Presents came in April.

However, this is DLC character 8, and the third of this pass. They’ve been working on this DLC pass for a year now, so I can’t imagine if they’re announcing it tonight that a Sakurai Presents would be far off, maybe a week or two at the most.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
OK, things are getting interesting. I don't think anyone needs to worry about Fortnite. It's popular now, but it's staying power has yet to have been tested. Putting them in right after Minecraft would be jarring to say the least since Minecraft firmly established it's self to be a juggernaut that will be around and relevant for a long time while the Fortnite popularity may fizzle out within a few years.

Not only is it's staying power in question, but at the time that characters were being selected it wasn't even at it's height of popularity, so it wouldn't have as much clout then as it might now.

Doom Guy could happen, but I still personally don't see him working well in smash. While other violent characters have gotten in like Snake and Bayo, neither of them are so know for just how gorily they take out their enemies.

Hayabusa could happen, but I wouldn't put his odds any higher or lower than anyone else.

I wasn't the biggest supporter of Crash's odds, but right now he does seem more likely than most. That "woah" tweet in particular. Everyone involved knows how fans scrutinize every little bit of info, so Geoff posting that was either a hint or an intentional misdirection.

Also Crash has a few things going for him that others don't. In recent years, Coco has been boosted up to basically be his player two, being able to do anything he can. This means she could easily share his spot as half the costumes. If this is the case then it could account for that extra space for fighters voices that was found a while ago.

And as others have said, if Crash gets in that doesn't mean the leak that mentioned him and Shantae is legit, but it does keep that leak alive a little longer.

fortunately we won't have to wait long to find out.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Ugh, my stomach's gonna turn upside down, inside out, and intradimensional extradimensional with this news. I'll see you on the other side. If for some ungodly reason Shantae's actually revealed today, I'm going to eat my own underpants, I swear to the Almighties up there.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Im gonna ignore talk about a fortnite character because it's silly.
And I think it wont happen at all for doomguy and hayabusa. People can think it'd happen, but no, my opinion is that it wont at all for smash.

For some reason I feel like Rayman has a chance, and I don't know why, just a new gut feeling I guess.
Crash, sure, maybe. I did say in the past I didn't think he'd show up, but I guess my feeling on him has changed just like rayman.

If it wasn't at the vga, i'd say pokemon and zelda still have a chance, but i think it'll be 3rd party. So probably not bandana dee either.
It can easily be someone nobody expects tho. I'm curious to see ;)

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Man, if Crash gets in, then Ultimate would have Crash, Cloud and Snake in the game. That would make it more of a Playstation All-Stars than Playstation All-Stars was lol
HA That games sucked!

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
ile Crash has a very strong lead, I have a gut feeling that because LRG have still yet to reveal the re-release for Shantae (GBC), it will be shown off there. It may tie into a potential surprise Shantae for Smash reveal. After all, if Ken and Incineroar were both revealed in the same trailer, a similar situation can happen here. If Nintendo can put out two different trailers though, then it'll be like Hero and Banjo.

Although we don't have to wait long to find out. I'm not raising hopes or expectations. It's just a personal theory of mine. But I did take notice of Nintendo not putting out another Tweet to shut down a double reveal. Either way, not long now.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
ile Crash has a very strong lead, I have a gut feeling that because LRG have still yet to reveal the re-release for Shantae (GBC), it will be shown off there. It may tie into a potential surprise Shantae for Smash reveal. After all, if Ken and Incineroar were both revealed in the same trailer, a similar situation can happen here. If Nintendo can put out two different trailers though, then it'll be like Hero and Banjo.

Although we don't have to wait long to find out. I'm not raising hopes or expectations. It's just a personal theory of mine. But I did take notice of Nintendo not putting out another Tweet to shut down a double reveal. Either way, not long now.
Hun, you're being silly. You're looking too much into stuff. It's fine to be open to possibilities, but relax, and just see what happens XD

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord

I love Shantae, but i don't think she is really a VGA or E3 reveal. For big events like this you want to show off a character that most people watching will be familiar with and excited about. Shantae is still a lesser known character so I think a lot of people watching the Game awards would not know who she is. She is more of an in between reveal like Terry was.

Dukefire

Smash Master
We got over 2 hours before the impact arrives. Just don't focus on the news moon for too long

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
Im gonna ignore talk about a fortnite character because it's silly.
And I think it wont happen at all for doomguy and hayabusa. People can think it'd happen, but no, my opinion is that it wont at all for smash.
A lot of people are forgetting something important when they bring up Doomguy.

His developers have outright said Nintendo didn’t approach them about Smash Bros DLC, long after the second pass was finalized.

That should’ve been the end of it, but people seem to not understand what you can and cannot say while under an NDA. Outright lying to your consumer base is heavily frowned upon, and likewise you don’t want to trap yourself with a lying statement in case something changes in the future. This is why you so often hear “we have nothing to announce at this time” rather than “no”, even if someone isn’t under an NDA.

You can make vague deflecting statements like Grant Kirkhope did like “I don’t know but don’t get your hopes up”, but giving an outright no should be taken as that. An outright no.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
So the question of the night. What stream are we going to use to watch THE GAME AWARDS?

Dukefire

Smash Master
I'll use whatever stream I can see without too much problems. I do know that it may lag due to the VGA getting more people viewing it tonight this year

Last edited:

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
A lot of people are forgetting something important when they bring up Doomguy.

His developers have outright said Nintendo didn’t approach them about Smash Bros DLC, long after the second pass was finalized.

That should’ve been the end of it, but people seem to not understand what you can and cannot say while under an NDA. Outright lying to your consumer base is heavily frowned upon, and likewise you don’t want to trap yourself with a lying statement in case something changes in the future. This is why you so often hear “we have nothing to announce at this time” rather than “no”, even if someone isn’t under an NDA.

You can make vague deflecting statements like Grant Kirkhope did like “I don’t know but don’t get your hopes up”, but giving an outright no should be taken as that. An outright no.
Plus people are saying Doomguy will come today just because of December 10th being the anniversary of Doom. Anniversaries do not guarantee Fighters.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Again, Coincidences doesn't guarantee that the said character is coming thanks to their anniversary, etc......
If that was true, then Ryu Hayabusa also has a good shot of being revealed since yesterday was Ninja Gaiden NES' 32nd birthday. But Schonberg brings up a good point about Doomguy already being kinda deconfirmed by the Doom developers themselves. Who knows. Personally speaking, I wouldn't mind either Crash or Ryu... or both!

Last edited:
Top Bottom