• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
I just wanted to let everyone know, that I'm likely gonna be gone for a while starting tomorrow. I plan on playing the hell out of Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity all weekend once I get home from work tomorrow 😁 I hope you all have a good time while I'm gone!
Well, if you do go, then we'll see you on Monday!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So has anyone gotten a email about their pre-orders of the Seven Sirens Collector's Edition yet from Limited Run? I haven't gotten a email yet from them.

Last edited:

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
So has anyone gotten a email about their pre-orders of the Seven Sirens Collector's Edition yet from Limited Run? I haven't gotten a email yet from them.
I got the email this Morning. Now I just need to get the tracker working propperly.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, the next stretch goal for Fraymakers is adding more assists.

$115,000 - Expanded Assist List. Our lineup of Assists can get even bigger! At this tier, Fraymakers will now include 20 extra guest assists, bringing the total to 40! More Assists means even more of your favorite indie characters and even more strategic possibilities for you to explore.
Though I wouldn't be surprised if Shantae still isn't among those regardless.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
I think I finally know why there was no Smash reveal at last year's TGA. Nintendo knew that another FE character would cause disappointment and didn't want to reveal it at such a big event, which would make the already negatively received event even worse. So, they decided to reveal it a month later, where it was announced without a big event. Well, since a new FE character isn't likely as of now, a Smash reveal at TGA 2020 sounds more likely than last year.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think I finally know why there was no Smash reveal at last year's TGA. Nintendo knew that another FE character would cause disappointment and didn't want to reveal it at such a big event, which would make the already negatively received event even worse. So, they decided to reveal it a month later, where it was announced without a big event. Well, since a new FE character isn't likely as of now, a Smash reveal at TGA 2020 sounds more likely than last year.
I'm pretty sure it was because the deadline for FP1 was looming fairly close (requiring focus on development), and the event that year had nothing really interesting ready to show from anyone except No More Heroes III. Some subset of the fanbase would have been disappointed no matter when :ultbyleth: got announced anyways, so it wouldn't matter if they did so on the Game Awards or not. An eggplant that tastes less bad is still an eggplant.

I'm still unsure about whether there'll be a Smash reveal at all this year. Hell, the Muppet cameo hasn't even been fully confirmed yet.

Last edited:

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure it was because the deadline for FP1 was looming fairly close (requiring focus on development), and the event that year had nothing really interesting ready to show from anyone except No More Heroes III. Some subset of the fanbase would have been disappointed no matter when :ultbyleth: got announced anyways, so it wouldn't matter if they did so on the Game Awards or not. An eggplant that tastes less bad is still an eggplant.

I'm still unsure about whether there'll be a Smash reveal at all this year. Hell, the Muppet cameo hasn't even been fully confirmed yet.

Well, a Smash reveal next month would make sense, since January and February are most likely our next release window for the next character.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, a Smash reveal next month would make sense, since January and February are most likely our next release window for the next character.
I would certainly hope so. This way there can be plenty of character releases for the majority of next year, with FP2's third character out of the way.

At least we only have 2 weeks and 4 days left before it starts. Where does the time go?

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
What if development might take longer for Shantae 'cause the team wants to give her different dance animations depending on the music being played on stage? Too crazy you might say? Probably but so was reworking every stage to compliment Steve's mining abilities.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Following the rhythm of the music to dance and transformation was key in Shantae GBA and Half Genie Hero. IDK how Sakurai would implement her moveset and transformation with WF, but I like to see their take if she's next.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
What if development might take longer for Shantae 'cause the team wants to give her different dance animations depending on the music being played on stage? Too crazy you might say? Probably but so was reworking every stage for the sake of Steve's abilities.
Maybe, but then again, so is :ulthero: having a ton of specials using a command menu, and he was announced not too long after :ultjoker: was finally released.

There's been the theory that all fighters are being worked on all at once, and if it's anything like last time, subsequent characters will get announced and released relatively sooner than earlier ones as the workload lessens.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I just finished the story of Age of Calamity.
And I have... feelings about it...

Gameplay-wise it's a massive improvement over the original Hyrule Warriors.
Environments look far more natural and leveling doesn't take nearly as long as in the original Hyrule Warriors.
THANK GOD!
It has a very good cast of characters with their own unique playstyle.
And playing as the Divine Beasts is one of the best power rushes ever. :D
So in that regard, it rocks.

But when it comes to the story... It's just... disappointing...
Let's address the Elephant in the room.
The story in AOC is NOT the BOTW-Prequel that Nintendo said it's going to be.
In the end, it's just a generic Avengers-style "Feel Good" story with a happy ending.
The story by itself isn't bad per se, but, like I said, generic.

I originally thought nothing of the Time Travel that was introduced in the Demo.
Back then, I thought it was just there to justify to usage of the Shiekah Slate Runes by everybody and maybe a few details being different from Breath of the Wild, because of the different gameplay-style.
I was dismissive of people declaring this game non canon and an alternate timeline, thinking they were overthinking the Time Travel point.
I brought up Skyward Sword as an example of a game that had Time Travelling but didn't end up splitting timelines.
And I honestly thought it'd be the same here and that we would truly get to experience the full canon story of the Great Calamity as shown in bits and pieces in Breath of the Wild, without splitting timelines or being non canon or anything like that.
Because I honestly believed the words of Mr. Aonuma and that Koei Tecmo guy from the first reveal trailer, mean an actual canon prequel.
Heck even official Nintendo websites strongly hyped this game up to be a prequel.
But alas, all those people who said this game was non-canon and a split timeline... They were ultimately correct.

The first Red Flag should've been the very first mission in the game, where we get to see Link in Knight's Gear and not having the Master Sword.
He gets the Master Sword over the course of the game.
But in Breath of the Wild it was said that he had the Master Sword when he was only 12 or 13 and that he was made Champion long before the other four.
I didn't think much of it, but in the end, I should've realized the hint...

Most of the story actually meshes well enough with the story of BOTW, other than Link not having the Master Sword and not being Champion... until we get to the part where Calamity Ganon actually awakens.
And from there on, everything just falls apart.
In AOC Calamity Ganon awakens when Zelda is about to embark to the Spring of Wisdom, but while she is still at the castle along with Link and Impa.
Completely contradicting BOTW, where Calamity Ganon awakens when she was returning from the Spring of Wisdom and meeting up with all the Champions at the Lanayru Gate.

And it only gets worse from here.
The Champions actually survive! But that's not all...
We actually see them fighting the Blights and losing against them, but when they're about to get killed by the Blights...
Get this... The Egg Guardian uses its Time Travel ability to summon THE FOUR FUTURE CHAMPIONS!
Yes, Sidon, Riju, Yunobu and Teba are in this game's story and they all appear next to the Champions as they're about to get finished off, to aid their in their fight against the Blights.
And together with Link and party, they kill the Blights and save the Champions.

They fight back against the Guardian Swarms, save Akkala Citadel and Hateno Fort.
Zelda awakens her powers at Hateno Fort without Link's nearly dying and being carried to the Shrine of Resurrection.
Heck, after that EVEN THE YIGA CLAN JOINS THEM!
That's right, the Yiga Clan joins Hyrule in their fight against Ganon.

King Rhoam's death at the castle was a fake-out and he was alive.
And then we get an Avengers: Endgame style cutscene were everyone assembles at Hyrule Field every character, every race (including Yiga Clan) and all the Divine Beasts and they launch an all-out attack at the castle.

We fight Astor (that Ghirahim like dude) and the evil Egg Guardian, Ganon betrays Astor and consumes him...
We fight against Calamity Ganon in a Final Boss battle, who looks completely different in this game, more like Demise...
The Egg Guardian, whose name is revealed to be "Terrakon" dies (but can be revived with an unlockable Extra Ending) we defeat Ganon and seal him away.
All the Future Champions return to their own timeline and everyone lives happily ever after...

Sounds like a good enough story. But again, this was hyped up to be a BOTW-prequel.
But now that it turned out to be an alternate reality entirely, that didn't follow BOTW at all...
I'm sorry, but it's upsetting... Had they advertised this as a BOTW-themed Hyrule Warriors (which it ultimately is) instead of a BOTW-prequel, I wouldn't feel so disappointed.

One last thing: Astor is a very under-utilized character. A generic evil character, who doesn't even have a backstory.
He's just there with no explanation given whatsoever and then he dies by being consumed by Ganon.
Kinda wish they did more with him.

Sorry, I needed to vent. :(

Last edited:

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
Or it can be a one time thing. There is no pattern with TGA. I mean, you can speculate that there will be another reveal, but this was a one time thing. What you're doing is no different from saying Steve begins with S and ends with E & So does Shantae. The next fighter must be her because Nintendo did it once before.

Last edited:

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Or it can be a one time thing. There is no pattern with TGA. I mean, you can speculate that there will be another reveal, but this was a one time thing. What you're doing is no different from saying Steve begins with S and ends with E & So does Shantae. The next fighter must be her because Nintendo did it once before.
I know, dude. I already had this discussion.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
My expectations are more grounded in that I want something interesting to happen at this year's event, don't care what it is. It could be a Crash game, a Spyro game, a Nintendo game, whatever. And not end things with a shameless move tie-in.

It doesn't help that IOI Interactive announced a James Bond deal before this year's event even starts.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I just finished the story of Age of Calamity.
And I have... feelings about it...

Gameplay-wise it's a massive improvement over the original Hyrule Warriors.
Environments look far more natural and leveling doesn't take nearly as long as in the original Hyrule Warriors.
THANK GOD!
It has a very good cast of characters with their own unique playstyle.
And playing as the Divine Beasts is one of the best power rushes ever. :D
So in that regard, it rocks.

But when it comes to the story... It's just... disappointing...
Let's address the Elephant in the room.
The story in AOC is NOT the BOTW-Prequel that Nintendo said it's going to be.
In the end, it's just a generic Avengers-style "Feel Good" story with a happy ending.
The story by itself isn't bad per se, but, like I said, generic.

I originally thought nothing of the Time Travel that was introduced in the Demo.
Back then, I thought it was just there to justify to usage of the Shiekah Slate Runes by everybody and maybe a few details being different from Breath of the Wild, because of the different gameplay-style.
I was dismissive of people declaring this game non canon and an alternate timeline, thinking they were overthinking the Time Travel point.
I brought up Skyward Sword as an example of a game that had Time Travelling but didn't end up splitting timelines.
And I honestly thought it'd be the same here and that we would truly get to experience the full canon story of the Great Calamity as shown in bits and pieces in Breath of the Wild, without splitting timelines or being non canon or anything like that.
Because I honestly believed the words of Mr. Aonuma and that Koei Tecmo guy from the first reveal trailer, mean an actual canon prequel.
Heck even official Nintendo websites strongly hyped this game up to be a prequel.
But alas, all those people who said this game was non-canon and a split timeline... They were ultimately correct.

The first Red Flag should've been the very first mission in the game, where we get to see Link in Knight's Gear and not having the Master Sword.
He gets the Master Sword over the course of the game.
But in Breath of the Wild it was said that he had the Master Sword when he was only 12 or 13 and that he was made Champion long before the other four.
I didn't think much of it, but in the end, I should've realized the hint...

Most of the story actually meshes well enough with the story of BOTW, other than Link not having the Master Sword and not being Champion... until we get to the part where Calamity Ganon actually awakens.
And from there on, everything just falls apart.
In AOC Calamity Ganon awakens when Zelda is about to embark to the Spring of Wisdom, but while she is still at the castle along with Link and Impa.
Completely contradicting BOTW, where Calamity Ganon awakens when she was returning from the Spring of Wisdom and meeting up with all the Champions at the Lanayru Gate.

And it only gets worse from here.
The Champions actually survive! But that's not all...
We actually see them fighting the Blights and losing against them, but when they're about to get killed by the Blights...
Get this... The Egg Guardian uses its Time Travel ability to summon THE FOUR FUTURE CHAMPIONS!
Yes, Sidon, Riju, Yunobu and Teba are in this game's story and they all appear next to the Champions as they're about to get finished off, to aid their in their fight against the Blights.
And together with Link and party, they kill the Blights and save the Champions.

They fight back against the Guardian Swarms, save Akkala Citadel and Hateno Fort.
Zelda awakens her powers at Hateno Fort without Link's nearly dying and being carried to the Shrine of Resurrection.
Heck, after that EVEN THE YIGA CLAN JOINS THEM!
That's right, the Yiga Clan joins Hyrule in their fight against Ganon.

King Rhoam's death at the castle was a fake-out and he was alive.
And then we get an Avengers: Endgame style cutscene were everyone assembles at Hyrule Field every character, every race (including Yiga Clan) and all the Divine Beasts and they launch an all-out attack at the castle.

We fight Astor (that Ghirahim like dude) and the evil Egg Guardian, Ganon betrays Astor and consumes him...
We fight against Calamity Ganon in a Final Boss battle, who looks completely different in this game, more like Demise...
The Egg Guardian, whose name is revealed to be "Terrakon" dies (but can be revived with an unlockable Extra Ending) we defeat Ganon and seal him away.
All the Future Champions return to their own timeline and everyone lives happily ever after...

Sounds like a good enough story. But again, this was hyped up to be a BOTW-prequel.
But now that it turned out to be an alternate reality entirely, that didn't follow BOTW at all...
I'm sorry, but it's upsetting... Had they advertised this as a BOTW-themed Hyrule Warriors (which it ultimately is) instead of a BOTW-prequel, I wouldn't feel so disappointed.

One last thing: Astor is a very under-utilized character. A generic evil character, who doesn't even have a backstory.
He's just there with no explanation given whatsoever and then he dies by being consumed by Ganon.
Kinda wish they did more with him.

Sorry, I needed to vent. :(
I believe the specific wording was "see Hyrule as it was before the Calamity", and we got that, regardless of the story deviating or not. And Nintendo trying to explain it would just spoil such a twist entirely. They most certainly never used the term "prequel".

If anything this sort of thing would actually increase my interest somewhat, not knowing from beginning how everything will end up. And it would mean Hyrule Warriors has it's own canon separate from the main series. Impressive for a spin-off.

Dukefire

Smash Master
After playing Age of Calamity, Nintendo wasn't lying about explaining the story 100 years before the disaster and the story of BOTW occurred to a certain extent.

Of course, some people were mad and/or disappointed because the lore was split into different Timelines. (Nothing new since Ocarina of Time.)

Also, here is a Shantae Artwork for today.
Artist: gpwlghr123

Top Bottom