• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of Shantae being revealed at TGA 2020 as CP8, I'm trying to work on a comment explaining why I think this will be the case. However, I am having a hard time trying to piece my words together, so please bear with me. I don't know when it will come out, but I guarantee it will be done before TGA 2020.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Speaking of Shantae being revealed at TGA 2020 as CP8, I'm trying to work on a comment explaining why I think this will be the case. However, I am having a hard time trying to piece my words together, so please bear with me. I don't know when it will come out, but I guarantee it will be done before TGA 2020.
Good luck XD

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
I'm still not gonna say it's a guarantee she'll be revealed at TGA 2020. It's just my crazy prediction for the show this year.

But if it happens, I plan on blasting Genie in a Bottle by Christina Aguilera in celebration!! Either that or Hips Don't Lie by Shakira 😂🤣😂🤣

Last edited:

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Alright you guys. Time to present my case for Shantae as CP8!

1. 2020 is the year WayForward and Shantae finally get their time to shine: Pretty self-explanatory. We've seen heaps of merchandise, the release of Shantae and the Seven Sirens in both the West and in Japan and plenty more. 2020 also seems to be the year of indie games, with Shantae right at the top of it. Her fanbase is growing each day. It's also WayForward's 30th anniversary and Shantae's 18th birthday. Now, both celebrations have come and gone, but 2020 is still around. I think to end this year with a bang, our girl would have to get in Smash, which would finally cement her position in the video game industry.

2. Matt Bozon, a hardcore and vocal Shantae supporter went silent in the Reddit AMA: We've had debates over this in the past, and yeah, I get it. People are entitled to their own thoughts and opinions. But me personally, I believe this is a hint to her being in the game. We first had WayForward saying pretty much nothing the moment SSBU was announced and their silence after the Spirit reveal, but now Matt Bozon himself, the founder of the whole cause, went silent on the matter. Now, it could be a Suda51 situation, but come on, really? Why would they pull that off twice in a row? I think she's being spared from the Mii treatment, and Matt's silence hints at her being a Fighter instead.

3. The Game Awards 2020 makes more sense for Shantae than E3: Ever since I heard Steve was planned to be the E3 character, the realisation hit me. Shantae is not big enough for an E3 reveal, which is where all the big guns in the gaming industry are revealed. However, The Game Awards 2020 is a place where anyone can be revealed, so Shantae fits right in there. Plus there will be Japanese involvement at this event, which could mean Nintendo will be involved and therefore will have some stuff to show off.

4. Smash lacks an indie rep: Self-explanatory. Shovel Knight is an Assist Trophy, Sans and Cuphead are Miis etc. I think the Queen of Indies, Shantae, deserves to be Smash's first indie rep, in the same vain that Steve is Smash's first PC rep.

5. Masahiro Sakurai is excited to reveal the last four Smash Fighters: This could mean he is happy it's near the end, the characters are real fan pleasers and they were a blast to design and create. Masahiro likes a good challenge, and Shantae would definitely be an interesting case for him. Plus she fits the description of being a character that pleases the fans and a character who would be fun to create a moveset for.

6. The first Shantae game has still yet to be released for Switch and rereleased for GBC: Arguably the most pivotal point in my case. The very first Shantae game started it all, and the rerelease still isn't out yet. I think there is no better time than TGA 2020, right up alongside her Smash reveal. We would finally get Shantae's debut in Smash after 5 years of waiting along with the first game rereleased to celebrate it.

Well, that's all I have for now! Hope you guys like the stuff I brought to the table!

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978

1. 2020 is the year WayForward and Shantae finally get their time to shine: Pretty self-explanatory. We've seen heaps of merchandise, the release of Shantae and the Seven Sirens in both the West and in Japan and plenty more. 2020 also seems to be the year of indie games, with Shantae right at the top of it. Her fanbase is growing each day. It's also WayForward's 30th anniversary and Shantae's 18th birthday. Now, both celebrations have come and gone, but 2020 is still around. I think to end this year with a bang, our girl would have to get in Smash, which would finally cement her position in the video game industry.

2. Matt Bozon, a hardcore and vocal Shantae supporter went silent in the Reddit AMA: We've had debates over this in the past, and yeah, I get it. People are entitled to their own thoughts and opinions. But me personally, I believe this is a hint to her being in the game. We first had WayForward saying pretty much nothing the moment SSBU was announced and their silence after the Spirit reveal, but now Matt Bozon himself, the founder of the whole cause, went silent on the matter. Now, it could be a Suda51 situation, but come on, really? Why would they pull that off twice in a row? I think she's being spared from the Mii treatment, and Matt's silence hints at her being a Fighter instead.

3. The Game Awards 2020 makes more sense for Shantae than E3: Ever since I heard Steve was planned to be the E3 character, the realisation hit me. Shantae is not big enough for an E3 reveal, which is where all the big guns in the gaming industry are revealed. However, The Game Awards 2020 is a place where anyone can be revealed, so Shantae fits right in there. Plus there will be Japanese involvement at this event, which could mean Nintendo will be involved and therefore will have some stuff to show off.

4. Smash lacks an indie rep: Self-explanatory. Shovel Knight is an Assist Trophy, Sans and Cuphead are Miis etc. I think the Queen of Indies, Shantae, deserves to be Smash's first indie rep, in the same vain that Steve is Smash's first PC rep.

5. Masahiro Sakurai is excited to reveal the last four Smash Fighters: This could mean he is happy it's near the end, the characters are real fan pleasers and they were a blast to design and create. Masahiro likes a good challenge, and Shantae would definitely be an interesting case for him. Plus she fits the description of being a character that pleases the fans and a character who would be fun to create a moveset for.

6. The first Shantae game has still yet to be released for Switch and rereleased for GBC: Arguably the most pivotal point in my case. The very first Shantae game started it all, and the rerelease still isn't out yet. I think there is no better time than TGA 2020, right up alongside her Smash reveal. We would finally get Shantae's debut in Smash after 5 years of waiting along with the first game rereleased to celebrate it.

Well, that's all I have for now! Hope you guys like the stuff I brought to the table!
It good.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's also WayForward's 30th anniversary and Shantae's 18th birthday. Now, both celebrations have come and gone, but 2020 is still around. I think to end this year with a bang, our girl would have to get in Smash, which would finally cement her position in the video game industry.
And why would nintendo care about that? It'd be great for WF, but it won't mean much to nintendo unless they're already interested in adding her.

The Game Awards 2020 is a place where anyone can be revealed, so Shantae fits right in there.
Why would she fit in there over any other character?

Masahiro Sakurai is excited to reveal the last four Smash Fighters [...]
Along with plenty many other characters as options.

I think there is no better time than TGA 2020
Why's that? Indie games do have a place in it, but most mainstream people pay attention the big hitters, not indies. So what makes it a good time for it?

Last edited:

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
And why would nintendo care about that? It'd be great for WF, but it won't mean much to nintendo unless they're already interested in adding her.

Why would she fit in there over any other character?

Along with plenty many other characters.

Why's that? Indie games do have a place in it, but most mainstream people pay attention the big hitters, not indies. So what makes it a good time for it?
WayForward and Nintendo have had a very long history, even moreso than any other indie company. They are basically business partners. They didn't give WayForward a spot in the Nintendo Treehouse for nothing.

I never said she would fit in there over anyone else. What I was trying to say is that every character is welcome at TGA 2020.

Yeah, but characters who fit that description like Travis Touchdown have been ruled out one way or another and the fact that not everyone can get in Smash. Shantae gets an edge over characters simply due to being an indie and Smash lacking an indie rep.

Well, it could be the time Shantae breaks her indie status and jumps mainstream.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
WayForward and Nintendo have had a very long history, even moreseo than any other indie company. They are basically business partners. They didn't give WayForward a spot in the Nintendo Treehouse for nothing.

I never said she would fit in there over anyone else. What I was trying to say is that every character is welcome at TGA 2020.

Yeah, but characters who fit that description like Travis Touchdown have been ruled out one way or another and the fact that not everyone can get in Smash. Shantae gets an edge over characters simply due to being an indie and Smash lacking an indie rep.

Well, it could be the time Shantae breaks her indie status and jumps mainstream.
I think the partnership with nintendo is the best thing in their favor for sure.
Who says that nintendo wants an indie fighter though?

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
I think the partnership with nintendo is the best thing in their favor for sure.
Well, one of Satoru Iwata's wishes was Nintendo to embrace Indies or something like that. I think an indie fighter in Smash does Iwata justice.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well, one of Satoru Iwata's wishes was Nintendo to embrace Indies or something like that. I think an indie fighter in Smash does Iwata justice.
I haven't seen anything like that. And I think there's different ways to look at it, because someone can say there's 'missing' an indie rep, while someone else could say that the pattern is that they don't pick indies for fighters so that would continue.

In any case, of course I hope they do value them and would pick shantae ;p

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
I haven't seen anything like that. And I think there's different ways to look at it, because someone can say there's 'missing' an indie rep, while someone else could say that the pattern is that they don't pick indies for fighters so that would continue.

In any case, of course I hope they do value them and would pick shantae ;p
Well, Steve proves that Indies are eligible as Smash Fighters. Plus, Reggie said that Indies are the most important games in the industry. I think it's only a matter of time before the cute genie girl earns her rightful place in this game.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well, Steve proves that Indies are eligible as Smash Fighters. Plus, Reggie said that Indies are the most important games in the industry. I think it's only a matter of time before the cute genie girl earns her rightful place in this game.
Well, there's no reason to consider minecraft an indie anymore. It's the most popular game in the world and owned by microsoft.
To me it makes sense to be hopeful, but it seems like you're giving her more priority than so many other games that could be chosen. I'll cross my fingers, but yeah there's a lot of characters to choose from in the industry XD

Anyway thanks for sharing your thoughts, and making your post easy to read ;)

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Well, there's no reason to consider minecraft an indie anymore. It's the most popular game in the world and owned by microsoft.
To me it makes sense to be hopeful, but it seems like you're giving her more priority than so many other games that could be chosen. I'll cross my fingers, but yeah there's a lot of characters to choose from in the industry XD

Anyway thanks for sharing your thoughts, and making your post easy to read ;)
First off, yes, Minecraft isn't an indie game. But Steve did have an indie background, which helps Shantae's case.

Second, you're welcome!

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
While I obviously can’t say anything for certain since, y’know, I don’t work for nintendo, it’s entirely a possibility that they would want an indie fighter.

Ever since the WiiU days, Nintendo’s indie support has exploded. Sections of the eShops, whole presentations for indie games, and even appearances in Smash as assists, spirits, and costumes. And most importantly (because remember, Nintendo may like to please fans but it IS a business at the end of the day) this has paid off for them - indie games sell like hot cakes on Nintendo’s systems, maybe from the demographics, maybe because many of them are lower intensity to run so they can work on the Switch’s portable mode even better, we can’t really be sure but there’s more than enough sales breakdowns provided by Indie devs to show that a ton of them sell way more on switch than their other console competitors.

So it’s not unreasonable to think it’s in Nintendo’s interests to promote indies with a playable spot in smash, showing indie devs “hey, you stick with Nintendo, you make games and sell them on our platform, and that could be you in smash someday!”

And who better to use as that figure than Shantae. She’s been successful, popular, and most importantly been with Nintendo for nearly 2 decades.

I think that would send a strong message what Nintendo thinks about indie games, and what sort of message that would send to indie devs from a business perspective.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
While I obviously can’t say anything for certain since, y’know, I don’t work for nintendo, it’s entirely a possibility that they would want an indie fighter.

Ever since the WiiU days, Nintendo’s indie support has exploded. Sections of the eShops, whole presentations for indie games, and even appearances in Smash as assists, spirits, and costumes. And most importantly (because remember, Nintendo may like to please fans but it IS a business at the end of the day) this has paid off for them - indie games sell like hot cakes on Nintendo’s systems, maybe from the demographics, maybe because many of them are lower intensity to run so they can work on the Switch’s portable mode even better, we can’t really be sure but there’s more than enough sales breakdowns provided by Indie devs to show that a ton of them sell way more on switch than their other console competitors.

So it’s not unreasonable to think it’s in Nintendo’s interests to promote indies with a playable spot in smash, showing indie devs “hey, you stick with Nintendo, you make games and sell them on our platform, and that could be you in smash someday!”

And who better to use as that figure than Shantae. She’s been successful, popular, and most importantly been with Nintendo for nearly 2 decades.

I think that would send a strong message what Nintendo thinks about indie games, and what sort of message that would send to indie devs from a business perspective.
Well, in the Wii U days the indie push felt more like a desperation tactic since almost none of the big third parties were interested in developing for it, so this was Nintendo's attempt at compensating. After that they just ran with it.

Dukefire

Smash Master
For the digital release for Shantae's first adventure on the GBC. If not November release, then December seems to be the time.

Plus, Age of Calamity is almost upon us. So Nintendo will focus on upcoming games before moving on to the next one.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
When was risky revenge made available? And why was it so early to shantae gbc?

3D Dillon

Smash Ace

I think you missed one factor:
Shantae custom stages were removed. At least, that's what I remember reading.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
I think you missed one factor:
Shantae custom stages were removed. At least, that's what I remember reading.
Ehhhhh... that one isn’t much of a point. Namely because the online content actually expires after a while, so you have to reupload it (after making a super minor change) to get it back online.

So the Shantae stages disappearing is more about them being on for a long time and then eventually being phased out, along with everything else uploaded around the same time. There’s still Shantae stages online, they’re just new ones.

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
T
Ehhhhh... that one isn’t much of a point. Namely because the online content actually expires after a while, so you have to reupload it (after making a super minor change) to get it back online.

So the Shantae stages disappearing is more about them being on for a long time and then eventually being phased out, along with everything else uploaded around the same time. There’s still Shantae stages online, they’re just new ones.
That‘s what I’ve been saying about this the whole time. Even about the updates.

Last edited:

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman

“[Spirit event] "The highlight of your arms! Sleeveless spirits" will be held for 3 days from 11/20 (Friday)! Many characters dressed in sleeveless clothes will appear on the spirits board. If you win the battle, you will get more gold than usual.”

There’s Risky on the spread!
...They might be running low on Spirit Event ideas if ‘Shoulders’ is considered a valid theme.

MattX20

Smash Hero

“[Spirit event] "The highlight of your arms! Sleeveless spirits" will be held for 3 days from 11/20 (Friday)! Many characters dressed in sleeveless clothes will appear on the spirits board. If you win the battle, you will get more gold than usual.”

...They might be running low on Spirit Event ideas if ‘Shoulders’ is considered a valid theme.
They can only keep doing these spirit events for so long without any new content

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey

Is it me or does that sound like a kind of fetish, like you have all these sheeveless people just showing their arms off :p

TDDolphin

Smash Ace

You know that does bring up an interesting topic. Which franchises NOT represented in Smash would you like to see become a Spirit Event? I'd probably pick series' that I don't think have a chance of having a playable character represent it. So going by that, I'd probably pick the following:
Final Fantasy VII
Nier: Automata
Trails of Cold Steal
Ys
Atelier Ryza
Virtua Fighter
The World Ends With You

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You know that does bring up an interesting topic. Which franchises NOT represented in Smash would you like to see become a Spirit Event? I'd probably pick series' that I don't think have a chance of having a playable character represent it. So going by that, I'd probably pick the following:

Trails of Cold Steal
Ys
Atelier Ryza
Virtua Fighter
The World Ends With You, seeing as that's getting an announcement of some sort next week.

No kidding, they've been scraping the bottom of the barrel at this point. :dk:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord

Trails of Cold Steal
Ys
Atelier Ryza
Virtua Fighter
I would want the following obscure 3rd party franchises to get spirit events:
  • Bakugan (Yes Bakugan originated as a videogame! I've already aforementioned this)
  • Freedom Planet
  • CLANNAD
  • Among Us (Because nobody knew about Among Us until late 2020)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I would want the following obscure 3rd party franchises to get spirit events:
  • Bakugan (Yes Bakugan originated as a videogame! I've already aforementioned this)
  • Freedom Planet
  • CLANNAD
  • Among Us (Because nobody knew about Among Us until late 2020)
Clannad is one of my favorite animes. But I still don't think true visual novels will get in smash one way or another. An by true I mean not enough gameplay elements beyond branching stories.

I think Among us is a bit too new, but I guess it'd be funny to see.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Since yesterday I've actually started visiting my local stores daily.
See if one of them sells the game early. : 3

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Clannad is one of my favorite animes. But I still don't think true visual novels will get in smash one way or another. An by true I mean not enough gameplay elements beyond branching stories.
CLANNAD is eligible for Smash because it is a visual novel.

I think Among us is a bit too new, but I guess it'd be funny to see.
The reason why I listed Among Us was because it was obscure until late 2020. It was actually released in 2018.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
CLANNAD is eligible for Smash because it is a visual novel.

The reason why I listed Among Us was because it was obscure until late 2020. It was actually released in 2018.
That's debatable, but I don't want to debate, I just dont think visual novels are eligible unless they have actual gameplay elements like pheonix wright.

Also, I was curious about the first bakugan game, and as it turns out it wasn't a video game, it was a physical one, that released around the same time as the anime. The video game only came years later.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Well, the Game Awards are creeping closer each day. Also, for those that are curious which games are competing for the Game of the Year award. Here are the titles:
Animal Crossing New Horizons
Doom Eternal
Hades
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Ghost of Tsushima
The Last of Us Part 2

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Damn! I knew I was forgetting one 😖
If it makes you feel better, I forgot about Balan Wonderworld myself.

Well, the Game Awards are creeping closer each day. Also, for those that are curious which games are competing for the Game of the Year award. Here are the titles:
Animal Crossing New Horizons
Doom Eternal
Hades
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Ghost of Tsushima
The Last of Us Part 2
Chances are slim for it, but I went at Hades.

That's debatable, but I don't want to debate, I just dont think visual novels are eligible unless they have actual gameplay elements like pheonix wright.

Also, I was curious about the first bakugan game, and as it turns out it wasn't a video game, it was a physical one, that released around the same time as the anime. The video game only came years later.
Maybe my dreams for a Silver Case/25th Ward character aren't so impossible after all, since they'll be getting a Switch port soon.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Regarding Age of Calamity...
Be careful of trolls and leakers.
A lot of people got the game early and are now actively trying to ruin everybody's fun, by spoiling the game left and right.

Kinda what happened with Smash, when that one country broke street date and sold Ultimate a month early or so.

So yeah, stay on your guard.

Last edited:
Top Bottom