• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
Let's hope Matt and WayForward's silence means something.
Right... But the silence can literally just be Wayforward capitalizing on Smash Bros hype. Shantae's fame is directly correlated to Wayforward's outcry for putting her in Smash. Deconfirming that she will be a fighter (for the millionth time) could effect her intrigue and popularity.

Wait does that mean LRG break an NDA? You know damn well if you did, you’ll get sued by Nintendo
They didn't say anything of note. They acknowledged her spirit and said let's get her playable. Again, deconfirming her breaks Shantae's hype as a character. As a business Wayforward and LRG would want to keep people speculating because shantae's visibility is at an all time high since the ballot.

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
Right... But the silence can literally just be Wayforward capitalizing on Smash Bros hype. Shantae's fame is directly correlated to Wayforward's outcry for putting her in Smash. Deconfirming that she will be a fighter (for the millionth time) could effect her intrigue and popularity.

They didn't say anything of note. They acknowledged her spirit and said let's get her playable. Again, deconfirming her breaks Shantae's hype as a character. As a business Wayforward and LRG would want to keep people speculating because shantae's visibility is at an all time high since the ballot.
Never mind dude. I know now it’s his wish. Not breaking an NDA

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So you guys remember the female option in the Smash Ballot? I do. This here could be critical if we get another female Ballot pick in the Pass as Shantae was definitely the most requested female character in the Smash Ballot aside from Bayonetta. Why have that option unless Sakurai and co were going for certain demographics.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman

I find the silence "capitalising on the Smash Bros. hype" a little hard to believe. Usually, companies and creators being silent about their characters being in Smash, especially if they are hardcore advocates for said characters, means something. I think the silence of Matt has added onto it.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Anything is possible when it comes to Sakurai and his ideas when one bring it up for negotiations.

Also, Smash Ultimate has sold over 20 million copies now from the Steve/Alex presentation.
Screenshot_20201003-101424_YouTube.jpg

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
I don't like the ballot being the absolute cause Shantae is at all popular. When I first heard Shantae's name, I didn't care at all at the time because a lot of other videogame characters were being advertised to be voted for on that ballot too y'know? It wouldn't be 'til sometime later when I heard Dance Through The Danger for the first time and it got me pumped. Wanting to know where this song originated was when I stumbled upon Shantae's games and after watching & playing them was I in love with this series and got friends who didn't know Shantae either to enjoy it as well. And before anyone asks, yes, I do regret not voting for her now lol

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I don't like the ballot being the absolute cause Shantae is at all popular. When I first heard Shantae's name, I didn't care at all at the time because a lot of other videogame characters were being advertised to be voted for on that ballot too y'know? It wouldn't be 'til sometime later when I heard Dance Through The Danger for the first time and it got me pumped. Wanting to know where this song originated was when I stumbled upon Shantae's games and after watching & playing them was I in love with this series and got friends who didn't know Shantae either to enjoy it as well. And before anyone asks, yes, I do regret not voting for her now lol
The ballot is just evidence that she was popular as a pick for smash, not that she should be popular in your eyes at the time of the ballot :p

And she's much more popular now. Someone could still say she's niche, but she's definitely going more and more into the mainstream.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord

So you think WayForward is the exact same as every other scumbag business out there?
Capitalizing on everything no matter what?
You don't think they care about Shantae and their fans? :/

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The Smash Ballot isn't the only reason Shantae is popular as a lot of people were and are still in love with the games. Shantae is such a unique and colorful character.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
The ballot is just evidence that she was popular as a pick for smash, not that she should be popular in your eyes at the time of the ballot :p

And she's much more popular now. Someone could still say she's niche, but she's definitely going more and more into the mainstream.
The Smash Ballot isn't the only reason Shantae is popular as a lot of people were and are still in love with the games. Shantae is such a unique and colorful character.
I'm getting the impression there's a misunderstanding here. That's what I meant: that it wasn't the ballot alone why Shantae is popular and the fact some say it is the only reason just irks me. I was using myself as an example how I personally came across Shantae, I'm not dictating reality to alter here. Now I'm not sure if I know what I'm talking about anymore O~O

Chaosmaster8753

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaoticZelos3578
3DS FC
2750-1187-7177
If Shantae does get in, I would be curious to see how Japanese fans would react to that. Banjo and Steve were popular picks with them in spite of their games being developed in Europe.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If Shantae does get in, I would be curious to see how Japanese fans would react to that. Banjo and Steve were popular picks with them in spite of their games being developed in Europe.
While I don't think Shantae would get the biggest pop in Japan, the reactions to her inclusion would be pretty postive since her series is doing pretty well there. I know the Shantae games are more popular in Japan than Shovel Knight is.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm getting the impression there's a misunderstanding here. That's what I meant: that it wasn't the ballot alone why Shantae is popular and the fact some say it is the only reason just irks me. I was using myself as an example how I personally came across Shantae, I'm not dictating reality to alter here. Now I'm not sure if I know what I'm talking about anymore O~O
Popular where? In the smash community? I havent heard people say that, but I mean, it brought 'some' attention. She wouldn't have gotten high in the ballot if it wasn't for her popularity tho :p

And getting into smash surely brought some more attention to her, which is good :)

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Well, usually the hyphen is used in that manner to combine a phrase when it's used as a singular thought, or in this case, an adjective. "yet-to-be-announced" is an adjective for "fighters".

It's a bit ridiculous to pick apart things written by the social media teams when the Smash team has been so cautious as to not let anything leak as of late.

kazoka122

Smash Cadet
Well, usually the hyphen is used in that manner to combine a phrase when it's used as a singular thought, or in this case, an adjective. "yet-to-be-announced" is an adjective for "fighters".

It's a bit ridiculous to pick apart things written by the social media teams when the Smash team has been so cautious as to not let anything leak as of late.

I agree. Which is why i said tinfoil hat =)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
That's not tinfoil hat, that's straight jacket lol. The letters thing, which is probably a joke. The hyphens that's just .. I dunno, not anything.
If it makes you think of Shantae, then that's just personal fun :p

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Well, we got Risky's Revenge digital release coming next Thursday and Steve/Alex coming in 4 days. So here is something to target for sometime.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
On a more sadder news. It seems Shantae's guest appearance(and all other guest appearances at that) in Indivisible are cancelled as of now.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
On a more sadder news. It seems Shantae's guest appearance(and all other guest appearances at that) in Indivisible are cancelled as of now.

That really sucks. But it says stuff that's already in submission is going to make it in, so is it sure shantae isn't it it?
I guess there's not a good chance she is. Aahhh man.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
That really sucks. But it says stuff that's already in submission is going to make it in, so is it sure shantae isn't it it?
I guess there's not a good chance she is. Aahhh man.
They say pretty clearly in the letter that the Guest Characters are part of the cut.
It’s a shame because the Indivisible design for Shantae was easily my favorite; great color choices and made her less chibi proportionwise compared to Half Genie Hero which was the newest design at the time.

Last edited:

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
This was the second time an Indie game that had Shantae as a special guest character had cancelled her appearance.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
This was the second time an Indie game that had Shantae as a special guest character had cancelled her appearance.
It’s never been at the fault of Wayforward or the Shantae franchise, which is what makes it tragic. No business deals going on, no failure to abide contracts. Just bad circumstances.
And Mike Z.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
So I guess the team behind both Skullgirls and Indivisible is dead.
What a shame.
Well, technically most of them broke off to form their own studio without Mike Zaimont, and they’re trying to get the rights to work on the games they made back from Autumn Games (Skullgirls) and 505 (Indivisible).
Seems one of them had fallen through.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace

This hurts. So much. Indivisible is so awesome, a world so vibrant with personality and character and MikeZ ruined so much here for it! Can only hope it'll be saved one day, maybe be passed to Future Club the studio founded by the former Lab Zero employees.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
This hurts. So much. Indivisible is so awesome, a world so vibrant with personality and character and MikeZ ruined so much here for it! Can only hope it'll be saved one day, maybe be passed to Future Club the studio founded by the former Lab Zero employees.
"Saved"? The game and story are complete as is. And seeing just how short of a stick optional characters get in this, not being able to play as those indies is disappointing, but doesn't really hurt as much as it probably should. I can live without 10 or so additional fetch quests trying to make the characters seem like they matter, thanks.

If I were them I'd just cut the losses and start working on a sequel to polish and flesh out the pacing and structure.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
"Saved"? The game and story are complete as is. And seeing just how short of a stick optional characters get in this, not being able to play as those indies is disappointing, but doesn't really hurt as much as it probably should. I can live without 10 or so additional fetch quests trying to make the characters seem like they matter, thanks.

If I were them I'd just cut the losses and start working on a sequel to polish and flesh out the pacing and structure.
Course I know it's finished story-wise and am happy with what I got. Frankly, I dunno if Lab Zero will recover to the point of making an Indivisible 2 or even another Skullgirls. By saving Indivisible, I meant saving Indivisible as a series and preventing it's fall into obscurity over time 'cause right now it be currently in the hands of a rude jerk. Skullgirls is fine btw, it's publisher owns those rights for anyone wondering.

Would be lying though if I said I didn't thought the bonus content would've still been nice, the new team combos that could've been made.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero

Yeah, this really sucks.... Why did Mike Z had to be such a ****? I even met him way back during Skullgirls DLC times and even back then he came off as a ****, but I just assumed it was the normal gamer has no idea how to interact with people well

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Seeing this actually reminds me, on how passion projects get constantly screwed over.
And I wonder why it has to be like this.

Most passion projects either get bought out and lose their soul or they die.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
I do find it interesting that Risky's Spirit isn't in the event: https://twitter.com/ZPigGuyGmn/status/1314768170326978560?s=19

Also, this came as a big surprise to me. Blocked Content, of all people, and a 4chan leak he covers talks about Shantae being in Smash, as well as Geno and Gardevoir. Now, I know Blocked Content is unreliable, but this is still very cool nonetheless: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC_R-KGt4q8
Yeah I’m not checking on Blocked Content‘s videos anymore. He’s really annoying. Plus Gardevoir is already an assist trophy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom