• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Btw any thoughts about CP7 and CP8 was originally planned for E3 this year?
Min Min's Presentation I believe was recorded in April according to Sakurai plus her Amiibo wave was originally suppose to come out in April as well. Steve was a big deal and it would make a lot of sense if he was one of the planned E3 reveals since Nintendo always reveal the biggest fish at E3. While Steve's Presentation was recorded in August, he probably did it later than June because of COVID while he recorded Min Min's Presentation just a month after COVID probably because he was about done with her.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
The Shantae custom stage thing is weird.

This kinda thing has happened to Shantae on sites various websites where even completely innocuous art was being flagged and taken down by people abusing the reporting system.

I just checked on my end. And there are only like 4 Shantae stages
Well, the same thing happened to Banjo before his reveal, according to Chaud.

Dukefire

Smash Master
The innocent artworks for shantae on the internet just can't catch a break. The system having a hard time to tell which one is lewd and the other a great piece of work from artists.

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
Well, the same thing happened to Banjo before his reveal, according to Chaud.
Source that's not this Chaud?

I don't think people spend a whole lot of time documenting the custom stage function in smash. What are the chances it's just a dumb nintendo thing where after a certain amount of time custom stage data just gets either Deleted or Delisted from the custom stage browser?

This is a online interaction with Nintendo. I would not be surprised if custom stage data has a shelf life on their servers.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Source that's not this Chaud?

I don't think people spend a whole lot of time documenting the custom stage function in smash. What are the chances it's just a dumb nintendo thing where after a certain amount of time custom stage data just gets either Deleted or Delisted from the custom stage browser?

This is a online interaction with Nintendo. I would not be surprised if custom stage data has a shelf life on their servers.
That's a good point, nothing can stay forever on the shelf.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Not sure if there is a source to be honest.

Also, we are one hour into the Reddit AMA and Matt Bozon has not yet commented on Shantae in Smash, unlike his previous interviews this year. Something tells me that this interview isn't gonna last any longer.

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
Has anyone tried to search stages via the Stage id to confirm they are gone?

Id do it myself if I wasn't at work.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I haven't bought the fighters pass yet, so if she gets announced I will celebrate by purchasing it. I would like Nintendo to know that she was what sold me on it.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
These themed fightsto commemorate the occasion:

What I've been doing is thinking up themed team matches I'd want to do, sort of like when I did Century Smash to commemorate Min-Min and ARMS's 1-v-100 mode.

Shantae, :ultrichter: & :ultsheik: vs. :ultsamus:, :ultzss: & :ultridley: on stage morph between Shantae's stage and Norfair: Metroidvania Melee

The same team vs. :ultyounglink:, :ultzelda: & :ultganondorf: on Temple: Dungeon Derby

Shantae, :ultpichu: & :ultpokemontrainerf: vs. :ultmewtwo: or :ultjigglypuff:, :ultpikachu: & :ultpokemontrainer: on Pokemon Stadium: Two Generations of Pocket Monsters

Shantae, :ultdaisy: & :ultwario: vs. :ultmario:, :ultpeach: & :ultluigi: on Delfino Plaza: Game Boy & Console Originals.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So if Shantae makes it into Smash as a fighter, how should we celebrate? First if anything, I think we should write a big letter to Sakurai, Nintendo, and WayForward and thanking them just like the K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie fans did after they got in.
We should/could get SuperKrazyBones to contribute one of his drawings for that, once he's out of rehab.

D7BYJ4PX4AEjyDZ.png

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Does anyone have any idea if the stages that were removed were explicit in any way shape or form? Even if they weren't, they could have been removed for just showing Shantae in her normal attire. Algorithms/bots that flag stuff can be weird like that.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Okay, the Reddit AMA has ended and Matt Bozon has not touched on Shantae in Smash, unlike the interviews he had earlier this year, where he sounded like Shantae was not in the game. He might be under an NDA now.

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
So if Shantae makes it into Smash as a fighter, how should we celebrate? First if anything, I think we should write a big letter to Sakurai, Nintendo, and WayForward and thanking them just like the K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie fans did after they got in.
I've actually been sitting on the idea, if she gets in, of gathering as much artists as I possibly can that are willing to draw something Shantae related and make a giant collage of it (much like the fighter mural, and the bigger the better). Have a lovely Shantae hugging Sakurai in the middle with a big "thank you".
The community is what made Shantae great, and the fans love to show it in fanart. Seeing Shantae in all those different artstyles would just show how strong her design is, how many people would go above and beyond for their favorite half-genie and ofcourse how much it means to people that she got in.
So I'll go on record saying I'd be willing to do this if she makes it. And I hope I can count on at least a few of you to join me by submitting your own art or help me reach out to other artists :p

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
I've actually been sitting on the idea, if she gets in, of gathering as much artists as I possibly can that are willing to draw something Shantae related and make a giant collage of it (much like the fighter mural, and the bigger the better). Have a lovely Shantae hugging Sakurai in the middle with a big "thank you".
The community is what made Shantae great, and the fans love to show it in fanart. Seeing Shantae in all those different artstyles would just show how strong her design is, how many people would go above and beyond for their favorite half-genie and ofcourse how much it means to people that she got in.
So I'll go on record saying I'd be willing to do this if she makes it. And I hope I can count on at least a few of you to join me by submitting your own art or help me reach out to other artists :p
I love this idea! We must do it!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
maybe he got tired of answering the same response after so many smash questions in previous interviews.
I dunno, seems like it'd be natural to note Smash so that Shantae can get more exposure. Being popular with anime fans can only go so far, especially with their odd marketing methods.

Heck, I bet Sean Velasco still boasts about Shovel Knight's assist trophy to this day.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I wonder if they could pull of a deluxe Mii Fighter costume of Shantae. I only ponder this because of the recent Bomberman one looking flawless

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Okay, the Reddit AMA has ended and Matt Bozon has not touched on Shantae in Smash, unlike the interviews he had earlier this year, where he sounded like Shantae was not in the game. He might be under an NDA now.
Grant Kirihope was a under a NDA for Banjo & Kazooie in Smash because he said on Twitter before they were revealed that he hasn't heard anything from Rare about Banjo being in Smash or has been ask to compose the music while in reality he did. Just got to wait and see how everything pans out and hope our girl is in.

I already know a couple of artists on here that I will try to reach out to get with you if Shantae get's in.

I wonder if they could pull of a deluxe Mii Fighter costume of Shantae. I only ponder this because of the recent Bomberman one looking flawless
It would be a bad idea because trolls will do something like put Sans head on Shantae's body and it wouldn't look right. For me it's either Shantae's playable or she stays as a Spirit.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Grant Kirihope was a umder a NDA for Banjo & Kazooie in Smash because he said on Twitter before they were revealed that he hasn't heard anything from Rare about Banjo being in Smash or has been ask to compose the music while in reality he did. Just got to wait and see how everything pans out and hope our girl is in.

I already know a couple of artists on here that I will try to reach out to get with you if Shantae get's in.

It would be a bad idea because trolls will do something like put Sans head on Shantae's body and it wouldn't look right. For me it's either Shantae's playable or she stays as a Spirit.
I think they save those for characters with simple designs, like Sans, Vault Boy and Cuphead (and the middle one is borderline).
Yeah, those are some fair points

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Grant Kirihope was a under a NDA for Banjo & Kazooie in Smash because he said on Twitter before they were revealed that he hasn't heard anything from Rare about Banjo being in Smash or has been ask to compose the music while in reality he did. Just got to wait and see how everything pans out and hope our girl is in.
And more recently SUDA51, who is usually rather vocal about Smash, responded to a question about Travis Touchdown in Smash with "No comment." Days later Travis gets revealed as a mii fighter. Safe to say anything can happen.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
And more recently SUDA51, who is usually rather vocal about Smash, responded to a question about Travis Touchdown in Smash with "No comment." Days later Travis gets revealed as a mii fighter. Safe to say anything can happen.
Let's hope Matt and WayForward's silence means something.

etnoika

Smash Cadet
I wouldn't think too hard about the stage thing, didn't they confirm a while back that stages get auto deleted after a certain amount of time? Perhaps the folks who were making them just got tired of reuploading them.

A shame, since some of those were super pretty.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
Imo, it only works for characters that can pull off a static face. Shantae is not known for a single standalone facial expression.

Last edited:

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
Imo, it only works for characters that can pull off a static face. Shantae is not known for a single standalone facial expression.
Yeah, I think it would better work for Shovel Knight as a deluxe Mii Fighter he could upgrade from a assist trophy to a mii costume like Bomberman.

Top Bottom