• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Well, I guess Vergeben stopped becoming credible when the DLC season rolled around. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
I see. Well, I guess all the people blindly assuming Ryu is next because of Vergeben are only setting themselves up for disappointment.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
So how much do you think Sakurai and the team are aware of Shantae's continued support?

Dukefire

Smash Master
So how much do you think Sakurai and the team are aware of Shantae's continued support?
For the last picture with one of WF developers talking with Sakurai along with an image, I think that was 4 years ago.

Other than that, there hasn't been any word from Wayforward touching on Smash Bros. (well, except with the community to bring up coincidences every now and then)

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yeah, though as it stands we don't know if the VGAs will even get Smash news. Last year had bupkis in regards to that. We're pretty much having to play the waiting game for the next couple months.

Until then, I wonder when WF will continue their milestones.

Oh, and also....

I can't wait to get my Collector's Edition copy of Seven Sirens from Limited Run as well as my Shantae plush.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Your thoughts on this:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I would love a 3D collectathon Shantae game. But I would like for it to play like the Spyro games with a mix of Mario if I had the option.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Two things uncovered today.

1. PapaGenos's latest video mentions the ESRB changing "Mild Suggestive Themes" to "Suggestive Themes" for SSBU. It can only mean one thing. Our favourite genie girl is dancing into the fray! And no, not as a Mii. That wouldn't raise the ESRB rating regardless of cleavage. https://youtu.be/a-fHA-owz4o

2. WayForward is hosting a Reddit AMA tomorrow with Matt Bozon. I doubt they would talk about Smash here even if someone asks. They will most likely just ignore such a thing. https://twitter.com/WayForward/status/1313222637888434177

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace

1. PapaGenos's latest video mentions the ESRB changing "Mild Suggestive Themes" to "Suggestive Themes" for SSBU. It can only mean one thing. Our favourite genie girl is dancing into the fray! And no, not as a Mii. That wouldn't raise the ESRB rating regardless of cleavage. https://youtu.be/a-fHA-owz4o

2. WayForward is hosting a Reddit AMA tomorrow with Matt Bozon. I doubt they would talk about Smash here even if someone asks. They will most likely just ignore such a thing. https://twitter.com/WayForward/status/1313222637888434177
You just beat me about Matt Bozon Reddit AMA. Just got the news. But that's interesting about the update on Suggested Themes

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman

Quick note - check your physical case for Smash Ultimate. It seems ‘Suggestive Themes’ was already listed there for the rating, so the twitter post that PG saw might just be someone who didn’t know what they were talking about.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
For characters that does fit into the Suggestive Themes. Those are ZSS and Shulk alt costumes with Bayonetta's characteristics to name a few.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

So Slackerz covered this 4chan leak that claims to be the list of choices that Nintendo gave to Sakurai while picking the DLC. Our girl is on there as well as Joker, Erdrick, Banjo, Terry, Byleth, Steve, and a bunch of other characters. But wants suspicious is there is no Min Min or Arms character on the list which kind of writes it off as fake. Interesting thing though is that this leak was post on 4chan in May of 2019 before Hero, Banjo, Terry, Byleth, and Steve were announced. But still, with this coming from 4chan I would take it with a HUGE grain of salt.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord

So Slackerz covered this 4chan leak that claims to be the list of choices that Nintendo gave to Sakurai while picking the DLC. Our girl is on there as well as Joker, Erdrick, Banjo, Terry, Byleth, Steve, and a bunch of other characters. But wants suspicious is there is no Min Min or Arms character on the list which kind of writes it off as fake. Interesting thing though is that this leak was post on 4chan in May of 2019 before Hero, Banjo, Terry, Byleth, and Steve were announced. But still, with this coming from 4chan I would take it with a HUGE grain of salt.
Playing devil's advocate (since there is no real reason to believe this or not) we know that the arrangement to get Steve in was made 5 years ago. So it's possible that back in the Wii U days, Nintendo made this large list of characters that approved (based on their own research, preferences and results from the ballot) and Sakurai chose the ones that he felt worked best for Smash 4 DLC. Then it's possible that all remaining characters were the list that Sakurai told us about when they first talked about the Ultimate fighter pass #1.

So the list that this leaker could have seen might have been at year old list, which would explain the absence of any arms rep.

Again, it could all still be a super lucky guess with some wish fulfillment thrown in to make people want to believe it. Still, it is possible that all the fighters we've gotten as DLC aside from MinMin could have been originally suggested just as far back as Steve.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Playing devil's advocate (since there is no real reason to believe this or not) we know that the arrangement to get Steve in was made 5 years ago. So it's possible that back in the Wii U days, Nintendo made this large list of characters that approved (based on their own research, preferences and results from the ballot) and Sakurai chose the ones that he felt worked best for Smash 4 DLC. Then it's possible that all remaining characters were the list that Sakurai told us about when they first talked about the Ultimate fighter pass #1.

So the list that this leaker could have seen might have been at year old list, which would explain the absence of any arms rep.

Again, it could all still be a super lucky guess with some wish fulfillment thrown in to make people want to believe it. Still, it is possible that all the fighters we've gotten as DLC aside from MinMin could have been originally suggested just as far back as Steve.
Agreed. I thought I would bring this up here since it has our girl in it which if it's real, I'm real excited for her chances. But I highly doubt this leak is real though.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Agreed. I thought I would bring this up here since it has our girl in it which if it's real, I'm real excited for her chances. But I highly doubt this leak is real though.
Yeah, it's certainly relevant to the thread, but as with everything else it's best to take it all with a grain of salt. Still, it is interesting to think that Nintendo might have been pushing for Shantae all the way back then.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yeah, it's certainly relevant to the thread, but as with everything else it's best to take it all with a grain of salt. Still, it is interesting to think that Nintendo might have been pushing for Shantae all the way back then.
Yeah. I'm taking it with a HUGE grain of salt. But if it's real and Nintendo had Shantae on their rader, I have a good feeling Sakurai won't overlook her and select her as one of the DLC characters because of her amazing moveset potential and personality as a character.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman

I’m gonna be honest, I’m not seeing anything here. I read your post thinking this was going to be like 10-12 characters with remarkable accuracy in who was chosen.
It’s actually a list of 41 characters, all of whom save for a small few are highly requested or were heavily speculated, like Crash, Rex, Bandana Dee, Hayabusa, and Dragon Quest reps. It also uses Erdrick and Luminary (the hero’s titles) for the DQ3 and 11 Heroes instead of Arusu or Eleven, but that might have been for clarity on the “Leaker’s” choice for clarity (though they already use a different method of clarifying for others on the list).
The only thing that stands out to me is the inclusion of Terry Bogard, a character that practically no one was considering prior to the accidental leaking of the SNK trademark. But one character out of 41 strikes me as a lucky shot in the dark more than anything.
Coupled with the lack of ARMS, this reeks of total hogwash to me.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Quick note - check your physical case for Smash Ultimate. It seems ‘Suggestive Themes’ was already listed there for the rating, so the twitter post that PG saw might just be someone who didn’t know what they were talking about.
Oof. I guess there goes the ESRB theory. Why did PapaGenos even bother covering that dude?

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
ESRB theory? coughs Krystal assist trophy coughs Krystal’s spirit coughs Bayonetta coughs other female characters’s alt skins

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Btw any thoughts about CP7 and CP8 was originally planned for E3 this year?
Seeing as how general Directs currently aren't possible and Sakurai Presents/standalone fighter announcement videos are becoming the norm, if we were to hear of the next character soon, it'd be November at the earliest since there's a few non-Smash news left for this month to cover (the Partner Showcase and Pokémon Swish Crown Tundra DLC, chiefly).

Realistically speaking, if the reveal was meant for a big event, they could move it to the VGAs, but we'll see.

Last edited:

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Time for a speculation fuel dump. These are the pieces of Shantae for Smash evidence I have gathered over the last few months.

1. The amount of Shantae promotion this year. We have the plushie, the Totaku figure which is probably supposed to be unveiled this year, the LRG re-releases and the Japanese version of Seven Sirens coming this month. I thought that Shantae would be a good way to promote these upcoming releases in the same vain as Hero from Dragon Quest. This year is also the 30th anniversary of WayForward and the 18th anniversary of Shantae. Since the year still isn't over, perhaps there's still a chance that this can all add up to a Shantae for Smash reveal this year.

2. The Daisy and King K. Rool glitches. I thought that Daisy would be used as a base for Shantae, considering that they both have similar facial structures and postures. The K. Rool glitch might be used for Risky's cannon.

3. This will probably be the most interesting. On September 20th, my friend, ChaudTheGamer, discovered that most of the Shantae custom stages were gone, even the ones by Ayoungspirit. He also said that the stages that disappeared where by Japanese stage makers. He said that something similar happened to Banjo prior to his reveal as Fighter 3, and there's still a chance that Shantae can be revealed as Fighter 8 thanks to this revelation.

But tell me, what do you guys think? And what speculation fuel have you found in the past few months in the run up to Steve's announcement?

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Time for a speculation fuel dump. These are the pieces of Shantae for Smash evidence I have gathered over the last few months.

1. The amount of Shantae promotion this year. We have the plushie, the Totaku figure which is probably supposed to be unveiled this year, the LRG re-releases and the Japanese version of Seven Sirens coming this month. I thought that Shantae would be a good way to promote these upcoming releases in the same vain as Hero from Dragon Quest. This year is also the 30th anniversary of WayForward and the 18th anniversary of Shantae. Since the year still isn't over, perhaps there's still a chance that this can all add up to a Shantae for Smash reveal this year.

2. The Daisy and King K. Rool glitches. I thought that Daisy would be used as a base for Shantae, considering that they both have similar facial structures and postures. The K. Rool glitch might be used for Risky's cannon.

3. This will probably be the most interesting. On September 20th, my friend, ChaudTheGamer, discovered that most of the Shantae custom stages were gone, even the ones by Ayoungspirit. He also said that the stages that disappeared where by Japanese stage makers. He said that something similar happened to Banjo prior to his reveal as Fighter 3, and there's still a chance that Shantae can be revealed as Fighter 8 thanks to this revelation.

But tell me, what do you guys think? And what speculation fuel have you found in the past few months in the run up to Steve's announcement?
wait really that stage thing is interesting, send this info to Papagenos after further research. Hell send it to others

Dukefire

Smash Master
That is interesting to keep in mind. Shantae has been getting more attention as of now, we just don't know what Matt Bozon, Wayforward, Nintendo and Sakurai is planning in their own space.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Without seeing the stages in question, I would say this could be nothing. If the stages featured some kind of tender of Shantae, it's possible someone could have flagged then as inappropriate. Even ones that might not have been in any way obscene could have been flagged for that reason as there are a lot of people who get frothing mad at the idea of people supporting her for Smash.

Now if stages in question were ones that were just made to look like scenes from her games (like her lighthouse it scuttle town) then there could be more there.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Without seeing the stages in question, I would say this could be nothing. If the stages featured some kind of tender of Shantae, it's possible someone could have flagged then as inappropriate. Even ones that might not have been in any way obscene could have been flagged for that reason as there are a lot of people who get frothing mad at the idea of people supporting her for Smash.

Now if stages in question were ones that were just made to look like scenes from her games (like her lighthouse it scuttle town) then there could be more there.
Chaud mentioned that almost all of them were gone. Before, you could find tons of them. But now, the number is much less significant.

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
The Shantae custom stage thing is weird.

This kinda thing has happened to Shantae on sites various websites where even completely innocuous art was being flagged and taken down by people abusing the reporting system.

I just checked on my end. And there are only like 4 Shantae stages

Top Bottom