• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.
D

Deleted member

Eh, I'm not bothered by this game at all? Not what people expected? Sure. End of the world? Nah.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
So it turned out to be a Bakugan game of all things, huh?

...That's kinda underwhelming.
Yup. It didnt seem that fun to me either. But I guess it's not bad if WF is extending themselves.

Apparently Reggie is doing something with Bakugan too. Maybe that's another reason it showed up, dunno.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Eh, I'm not bothered by this game at all? Not what people expected? Sure. End of the world? Nah.
It's just that its placement seems so nonsensical. Would have fit more among the dozens of Direct-announced games, rather than an orphaned Treehouse. Well, that and the LRG3 announcements wound up being a tough act to follow.

I wish the 20th was here even sooner, so that Kelios' Direct rumor can possibly come true.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
On the bright side. people are mad at Nintendo, and not Wayforward. lol
To be fair, all initial plans for this year were dropped on the floor like a broken puzzle. I'm certain this would have made a lot more sense in context, but as it is right now it makes it come off as Warner Bros. twisting some arms into advertising their game, and NOA trying to make the best of the situation by playing up their association with WayForward.

We still got the Direct date rumor, at least. That is currently still alive.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's disappointing, but easy to move on. I dunno if there will be a direct this month, but it would be nice for sure, after no e3 stuff.

And, any WF involvement with Nintendo is good. including for Shantae :)

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure some people out there are pumped about this new game, so let's be happy for them. ^^

Shantae fans had their fair share of great news recently, and something tells me it's not finished yet and it will go crescendo.
DLC

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I think this is probably the last time I get excited for any "announcement" pertaining to WayForward lol. New Game+ Expo and now this? I think it's safe to say they only announce anything cool on their Twitter out of nowhere instead of building it up. I'm just so let down.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Scoff at a toy-driven franchise if you will, but this is the first anime property Wayforward has been granted the privilege of developing for, after a lifetime of making games with art inspired by it.

Fun fact: the DS version of the Bakugan Battle Brawlers tie-in game was the second best selling title of holiday 2009 for the system.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Well, that was something I suppose. Not particularly into Bakugan, which is surprising since I got into most of the monster fighting franchises at one point (Pokemon, Digimon, Monster Rancher, Fossil Fighters...) But I wasn't really expecting much. It very much sounded like it would be a licensed game.

Still, it's pretty cool that Nintendo gave WF the top billing. They could have teased it as a new game from WB or they could have said new Bakugan game, but when they looked at the three names, they figured WF was the one that would get them the most attention. So that's a pretty cool thing to take away from this.

And who knows, I might even give it a try. I've seen a few of the monster designs and some of them are pretty neat...

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I like pokemon and all those types of games too, but the combat system reaaally doesnt interest me in Bakugan. Isn't it boring to just watch them fight and just gather stuff on the ground? I think they could've done better.

Oh well, hopefully some peope enjoy it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, the little kids and preschoolers will, they tend not to have standards. :drshrug:

Still, it's pretty cool that Nintendo gave WF the top billing. They could have teased it as a new game from WB or they could have said new Bakugan game, but when they looked at the three names, they figured WF was the one that would get them the most attention. So that's a pretty cool thing to take away from this.
Also, for the brief time NOA Twitter guy miscommunicated, Wario Land actually trended on Twitter, so that had to have been noticed (up to Japan, that I'm not sure about).

It still doesn't take away from the fact that the Shantae GBC and Xtreme Sports re-releases being Switch exclusives basically highlight WF's loyalty (even if they have to cater to other people sometimes, because they gotta stay afloat somehow).

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I like pokemon and all those types of games too, but the combat system reaaally doesnt interest me in Bakugan. Isn't it boring to just watch them fight and just gather stuff on the ground? I think they could've done better.

Yeah, the same problem is what turned me off from Yokai Watch. I really liked a lot of the character designs in the first game and the over world was beautiful for a 3DS game, but the combat was terrible as all the monster just attack on autopilot. This game is giving me similar vibes so I will wait to find out more before deciding one way or another. Then again, the first Digimon World game only had you barking commands at your digimon and the challenge was raising it well enough to listen to you... But I doubt that's what's going to happen here.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm glad I feel that Shantae still has a chance.

Also, I'd love to see the thread get past 1000 pages :)

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
After when I got home from work and was starting to read the messages here, my nephew came over to my house to drop off some things. He over heard me saying "What the **** is Bakugan?" He showed me a picture of one random one, and I admit, I forgot about them.

Glad I missed it the Treehouse.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
We still got the potential July 20th coming in 2 weeks. Just don't really believe something from a guess unless things line up.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Well, that was something I suppose. Not particularly into Bakugan, which is surprising since I got into most of the monster fighting franchises at one point (Pokemon, Digimon, Monster Rancher, Fossil Fighters...) But I wasn't really expecting much. It very much sounded like it would be a licensed game.

And who knows, I might even give it a try. I've seen a few of the monster designs and some of them are pretty neat...
This game is based on the revival Bakugan: Battle Planet that started in 2018, if you want to see what this game is pulling from.

Well, Plants vs. Zombies did pretty well for a game where you mostly just sit around and wait for sun to pop up and click on while you watch your plants kill all the zombies autonomously.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
This game is based on the revival Bakugan: Battle Planet that started in 2018, if you want to see what this game is pulling from.

Well, Plants vs. Zombies did pretty well for a game where you mostly just sit around and wait for sun to pop up and click on while you watch your plants kill all the zombies autonomously.
I dont think it's a good comparison :p Plants vs Zombies was actually fun.
Strategic too, and plus people were into the tower defense stuff at the time.

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
We still got the potential July 20th coming in 2 weeks. Just don't really believe something from a guess unless things line up.
Well there were 5 new Switch SKUs found in Gamestop's database today and a Tomb Raider collection has evidence supporting its announcement soon. I think it's going to happen sometime this month.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
Well, this was apparently floating around since the start of 2019 and I'm just now seeing it.

Credits to Needlewind on Twitter.

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
After some underwhelming news, it's time for some art.

By RoninDudeArt

By John Joseco.

Sauce: Drawthread

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
I feel bad for WayForward with the very bad reception the Bakugan game is receiving, the negative thumbs ratio exceeds Byleth's and the comments are deadly ( not that they are not justified though ) ...

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I feel bad for WayForward with the very bad reception the Bakugan game is receiving, the negative thumbs ratio exceeds Byleth's and the comments are deadly ( not that they are not justified though ) ...
Pokemn has it worse. They removed the first Pokemon Unite reveal trailer because it had "inaccurate images" but they really did it to get rid of the huge amount of dislikes. They re-uploaded it a day ago and it already has an overwhelming dislike to like ratio lol

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

zferolie

Smash Hero
Not sure why people are all so upset about the Bakugan thing. Its a licensed game, and Wayforward makes a lot of them to keep afloat between their own games. Plus a majority of them are quite good.

It was most likely WB who wanted this pushed, but Nintendo chose to push it as a Wayforward game, knowing it would get more attention that way. Nintendo knows the clout Wayforward brings, and I think that is a good sign. Nintendo is proud to push wayforward as a key marketing, meaning Nintendio reconizes Wayforwards talent.

Plus, this is one of the first Japanese own IP's wayfoward is working with, which show that Japan knows of Wayforward and respects them. Another positive sign.

Ace C.R.O.S.S.

Smash Ace
Not sure why people are all so upset about the Bakugan thing. Its a licensed game, and Wayforward makes a lot of them to keep afloat between their own games. Plus a majority of them are quite good.

It was most likely WB who wanted this pushed, but Nintendo chose to push it as a Wayforward game, knowing it would get more attention that way. Nintendo knows the clout Wayforward brings, and I think that is a good sign. Nintendo is proud to push wayforward as a key marketing, meaning Nintendio reconizes Wayforwards talent.

Plus, this is one of the first Japanese own IP's wayfoward is working with, which show that Japan knows of Wayforward and respects them. Another positive sign.
That or it's simply all WB fault for pushing that game, which ends in absolute nothing...

millsfan

Smash Apprentice
Hi, haven’t played a Shantae game but really want her as a dlc character. Very unique character, love the animal abilities she has!
Sincerely a shadow fan (I get what it’s like to wait 10+ years for a character :/ ).

Staarih

Smash Master
That or it's simply all WB fault for pushing that game, which ends in absolute nothing...
Yeah, WB probably paid money for the promotion/advertisement of the game, so Nintendo just had to find a solution to hype it somehow. Not sure if shoving it alongside Paper Mario in a live stream and going WayForward first (as they get all the hate now) was the right path, but oh well. Either way, people had probably set their expectations way too high.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019

This happened because of several leading factors.
1. People are starved for Nintendo information at the moment.
2. There are rumors of a Direct, but Nintendo still decided to show this one specific game off in a Treehouse with their next big game: Paper Mario.
3. They knew that using Wayforward's name and not WB would drum up hype for the announcement, hence why 150 thousand people were watching. They realized they messed up when people actually started thinking Nintendo was going to allow Wayforward to work on a new 2D Metroid or Wario Land title, but by then it was too late. You could make the argument they kind of used Wayforward's name as a scapegoat, but the blame lies with whoever decided to place this game on the Treehouse livestream.
4. The Paper Mario segment beforehand was kinda bad. The game flow looks pretty unrewarding with little motivation to battle and the presenters felt like they didn't have everything put together quite right. People were hoping for a pick me up, myself included.
5. Fan expectations. Though we were kinda led in this direction, the fact of the matter is I and many of others got our hopes up for something we should've seen the warning signs for. It has taught me to keep my expectations in check for everything regardless of how excited I may be for it.

I hope Nintendo or whoever was responsible for the wording of their message has learned their lesson, and that the takewaway from all of this is that Wayforward's name carries a lot more weight than many expected. It did help bring in 150,000 people after all.

I wonder if that walled off game was actually Bakugan or whether Wayforward is working on something else? I can't imagine why Bakugan of all things would require that much secrecy, especially with how unpolished and rough the game looks.

Edit: This tweet fully encompasses my feelings on the matter:

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

It moreso interests me because from what I experience from Wayforward, their games, licensed or otherwise never go below "average and forgettable" at worst. That makes it at least worthy of keeping an eye on, even though Puzzle & Dragons Gold has left me wary.

Yeah, WB probably paid money for the promotion/advertisement of the game, so Nintendo just had to find a solution to hype it somehow. Not sure if shoving it alongside Paper Mario in a live stream and going WayForward first (as they get all the hate now) was the right path, but oh well. Either way, people had probably set their expectations way too high.
Just watch as this backlash ironically causes the game to get much better sales than it otherwise would have. Though considering the goldfish memory of Youtube viewers being unable to look beyond the last announcement they've heard, it could also just go right back to being as forgotten as it would have, buried in a normal format if yet another announcement from Wayforward comes forward.

WingedSupernova WingedSupernova If you weren't going to watch the footage knowing what the IP was going to be, you already answered your own question as to why they keep these things a surprise. Bad publicity doesn't even begin to actually harm a game until it's released; even then it sometimes helps anyway, if only because of increased visibility or in the worst case scenario, bile fascination. In this situation, if there is even the tiniest chance of convincing non-Bakugan fans to try, then it's worth the risk.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I honestly dont know much about what licensed games WF has worked on or how good they were, it just felt like they just did this one to do it, I dont know if there was any love in it, didnt wow me in any way, and actually seems boring. So that's just my feeling of it. I thought maybe it'd be different for bakugan fans, but the user who'd talk about bakugan a lot said it seemed bad too, so I dunno :p

In any case, when it comes to the beloved ips, like shantae, I know I can expect something good a lot of the time ;)
I still havent gotten seven sirens, but I'm not in a hurry, I'd like to play back and actually finish every game before i get to it.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Still, it is another step WF is taking as part of being a game company. Growing after 30 years of service and still going with Shantae as the flagship along her being 18 years.

Really, regardless of the effect from ads, it does bring more exposure to the company.
Screenshot_20200704-155723_YouTube.jpg

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Yeah I feel this is overshadowing the two Shantae games getting ported to Switch this September. Not just Risky's Revenge but the FIRST SHANTAE GAME TOO?! Considering the only other means owning it was paying nearly half a thousand dollars and that every Shantae game currently are finally gonna be all on one system together, this would be a huge deal! But no! Instead we're talking about Bakugan!

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It would've been nice for the franchise if they'd shared those announcements on the stream too. More attention to Shantae is good :)

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Yeah I feel this is overshadowing the two Shantae games getting ported to Switch this September. Not just Risky's Revenge but the FIRST SHANTAE GAME TOO?! Considering the only other means owning it was paying nearly half a thousand dollars and that every Shantae game currently are finally gonna be all on one system together, this would be a huge deal! But no! Instead we're talking about Bakugan!
Yeah, this really was a poorly timed announcement. I would much rather be celebrating all of the Shantae games being on Switch.

Top Bottom