• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

zferolie

Smash Hero
So with just a little over a week left till the VGAs, how are you guys feeling? Who we expecting, think it will be leaked or we be surprised?

D

Deleted member

So with just a little over a week left till the VGAs, how are you guys feeling? Who we expecting, think it will be leaked or we be surprised?
I was thinking it would been sakura but then I noticed that maya(phoinex’s partner) could be part of phoinexs moveset and could relate to milk bosatu leak so phoinex it is

Dukefire

Smash Master
Feeling nervous and very cautious with more leaks appearing. Honestly, I may or will be surprised at this point.

For Shantae, its not her time yet. But for the Seven Sirens, maybe the release date might be for this december or somewhere early 2020

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I think the leakers with info don't have a definitive answer, and even if they did they're not going to leak it. I also think the character revealed will be someone that most people will recognize.

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
I feel like it's bound to get leaked at some point close to the reveal. By Nintendo mistake or a leaker I don't know. Though part of me hopes not because I'm still trying to figure out how the speculation page jumped 100 pages in a week when it usually increased by about 40 over a week. I was actually caught up and then Thanksgiving happened. As for content, I'm staying neutral for Smash and hoping for Seven Sirens and BotW2 news.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Im full on half expecting no reveal during VGAs as Joker was a very last minute thing, though perhaps the reaction it got might spur Nintendo to do planned ahead of time this time around,

moraven116

Smash Rookie
I'm stoked beyond belief. The build up and excitement is always so much fun for me. Of course I'll always hold out hope for Shantae in smash, but I'm excited just to hopefully hear something more about Seven Sirens in general. Also I just love watching reaction videos following the reveal of a new character. Joker's reveal last year was so great because of how it caught people off-guard.

Dukefire

Smash Master
While its not new, we still got the Promare movie playing next week with the Seven Sirens showing up again. Doubt that new info would appear at that event.
82ba66bb6d6c5e6408693be840b2d1cf.jpg

D

Deleted member

Now imagine what I said came true in here
You know anyone can do that right
I make one myself
>the 5th fighter will be shantae herself she’ll be revealed at tga and will promote her new game
>the trailer will act like a seven sirens release date trailer but it’s actualy a smash trailer in disguise
>her mii costumes will actualy be from other indie franchises such as....
Shovel knight from shovel knight(swordfighter)
Rusty from steamworld dig(gunner)
Juan & tostada from guacamelee(brawler)
The drifter from hyper light drifter(swordfighter)
Hue & val from runbow(brawler)
And lastly reimu from touhou project(swordfighter) lol
>The reason sakurai decided to make reimu a mii costume instead of a fighter was that touhou was pretty much unknown overseas and wasent localized then so he hopes that this costume will make you feel like your playing as her lol
>she’ll release on February 29th 2020
>2 of the many post pass fighters will be geno & Lloyd Irving
See you at the game awards;)

You see? Anyone can make a fake leak
that would be nice

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
You know anyone can do that right
I make one myself
>the 5th fighter will be shantae herself she’ll be revealed at tga and will promote her new game
>the trailer will act like a seven sirens release date trailer but it’s actualy a smash trailer in disguise
>her mii costumes will actualy be from other indie franchises such as....
Shovel knight from shovel knight(swordfighter)
Rusty from steamworld dig(gunner)
Juan & tostada from guacamelee(brawler)
The drifter from hyper light drifter(swordfighter)
Hue & val from runbow(brawler)
And lastly reimu from touhou project(swordfighter) lol
>The reason sakurai decided to make reimu a mii costume instead of a fighter was that touhou was pretty much unknown overseas and wasent localized then so he hopes that this costume will make you feel like your playing as her lol
>she’ll release on February 29th 2020
>2 of the many post pass fighters will be geno & Lloyd Irving
See you at the game awards;)

You see? Anyone can make a fake leak
Now imagine what I said came true in here

that would be nice
Actually, with how her spirits would be expanding the Shantae cast if she got in and none if them with styles that really work for Mii costumes, I could easily see them going for other indies for mii costumes. The only exception I could think of would be Mighty Switch Force gunner.

Though reminds me of one of your comments from .... however many pages is a couple days ago, where you had a comment that had a strong point, but mentioned Shantae so no one really paid you much attention except for someone getting hung up on some unimportant detail.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
December 4th and still no word from WayForward yet. 8 days 'til the moment of truth if they keep this up.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I JUST WANT A DELAY CONFIRMATION IF ITS NOT 2019!

unless the Apple Arcade release counted as that...

zferolie

Smash Hero
To help us with the stress of smash reveal and shantae 5 news, have a bikini shantae

There was a problem fetching the tweet

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Gimme a release date for Seven Sirens already, god dammit.
Seriously. As a physical game buyer I already know I will have to play the game after everyone else since they are almost certainly going to use Limited Run Games again... SO just a release date would make the waiting a little easier...

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I'm honestly surprised we haven't heard any new updates about Seven Sirens recently, but it's possible we'll get a release date or news of a delay by the Game Awards.

As for TGA, I do expect a character reveal trailer there. I'm not expecting Shantae (I see her as more of a post pass character), but I would like to be wrong on that one.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
I'm honestly surprised we haven't heard any new updates about Seven Sirens recently, but it's possible we'll get a release date or news of a delay by the Game Awards.

As for TGA, I do expect a character reveal trailer there. I'm not expecting Shantae (I see her as more of a post pass character), but I would like to be wrong on that one.
Aye. as controversial the statement seems, I do sort of qualify Shantae's spirits as being a checkmark for a series representation, though back then, I would have fought tooth and nail to state otherwise. That being said, her spirit representation is rather minimal compared to Shovel Knight's roster and if Sakurai has played Half-Genie Hero like he has with Shovel Knight and the others, he should have realized that the other characters important to her (like Mimic, Sky, Bolo, etc.) all play fairly important roles like with the Playable Knights and Shield Knight are important to Shovel Knight himself. And that's really why I suggest Shantae is a Post-DLC Fighter, since it makes absolutely no sense for them to only have two spirits when there could have been more spirits of important characters in her games in comparison to Shovel Knight's spirit list, outside of Shovel Knight being an assist trophy. It's like they want to give her some leeway with her series in case she is to be promoted to a fighter later on, but here we are.

Last edited:

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
Aye. as controversial the statement seems, I do sort of qualify Shantae's spirits as being a checkmark for a series representation, though back then, I would have fought tooth and nail to state otherwise. That being said, her spirit representation is rather minimal compared to Shovel Knight's roster and if Sakurai has played Half-Genie Hero like he has with Shovel Knight and the others, he should have realized that the other characters important to her (like Mimic, Sky, Bolo, etc.) all play fairly important roles like with the Playable Knights and Shield Knight are important to Shovel Knight himself. And that's really why I suggest Shantae is a Post-DLC Fighter, since it makes absolutely no sense for them to only have two spirits when there could have been more spirits of important characters in her games in comparison to Shovel Knight's spirit list, outside of Shovel Knight being an assist trophy. It's like they want to give her some leeway with her series in case she is to be promoted to a fighter later on, but here we are.
I have a funny feeling that we might get a tease of our first post-Pass fighter along with Challenger #5. Call it a hunch, but I think Sakurai and Nintendo would want to tease the audience with what lies beyond.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
I have a funny feeling that we might get a tease of our first post-Pass fighter along with Challenger #5. Call it a hunch, but I think Sakurai and Nintendo would want to tease the audience with what lies beyond.
On that, we are agreed, Toy. There's more to this entire thing than what we've seen, and more to both WayForward and Sora Ltd and their actions. Perhaps my conspiracy side has taken over me, but I will stay loyal to Shantae until she becomes a Smash Fighter, and with these weird inconsistencies, the likelihood of her inclusion seems to be high.
Though some would argue that Rex also has a higher likelihood than she does, and I can't necessarily argue that point, though with Rex, Pyra, and Mythra being spirits, among a plethora of other XC 2 Spirits, this seems to be an impossibility. Key word being "seems", since Sakurai and co. can easily work Rex into the roster if he wanted to.

Finally, one last hot take: I have high doubt that we'll have both Geno and Sora, considering we already have Cloud and the Dragon Quest Heroes. Ultimately because SquareEnix seems to be stingy with the characters they were allowing Sakurai to use already, and the infamous lack of tracks SE Reps get (usually left to its original, MIDI forms due to the composers wanting a pretty penny for Sakurai to use them/to not want Sakurai's composers to remix their tracks). It's sort of like the saying "You can't have your cake and eat it", in that if we are going to see a third SE Rep, it'll have to be one or the other, it can't be both.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I would say that really depends on who #5 is. It all depends on how well received they feel number 5 will be. Like I have a feeling that, hype wise, Banjo was the biggest character in the fighter pass. I think we got the announcement of DLC past the pass right after Terry because they new people on a whole weren't going to be too thrilled that we were getting close to the end of the pass and they were giving us Ken in a hat.

So, if #5 is someone huge guaranteed to excite a large portion of the player base, then I could see it being the only announcement we get. Tho if they have a fan support around the same size as Terry or Joker, then I could see us getting either a double reveal or a very alluring, dissect-able hint after a reveal.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I would say that really depends on who #5 is. It all depends on how well received they feel number 5 will be. Like I have a feeling that, hype wise, Banjo was the biggest character in the fighter pass. I think we got the announcement of DLC past the pass right after Terry because they new people on a whole weren't going to be too thrilled that we were getting close to the end of the pass and they were giving us Ken in a hat.

So, if #5 is someone huge guaranteed to excite a large portion of the player base, then I could see it being the only announcement we get. Tho if they have a fan support around the same size as Terry or Joker, then I could see us getting either a double reveal or a very alluring, dissect-able hint after a reveal.
Its times like this I wish i could just sleep (and not have to come in for work) for a week,

zferolie

Smash Hero
Yeah pretty sure we will get gameplay of FP5, and just a teaser announcment for the next. Like Joker level teaser. People will only expect 1 character, then they show another as well. Big hype

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I don't buy holding back spirits for post-pass. Nothing beholds those characters to use the same release template as the current one, and first parties can simply be added with no additional spirits if representation is already ample enough.

If any holding back was done for Shantae, it seems more likely to be an elaborate hoax for the last Fighter Pass slot, with everyone before trying to trick others into believing only unrepresented IPs would get in.

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
I don't buy holding back spirits for post-pass. Nothing beholds those characters to use the same release template as the current one, and first parties can simply be added with no additional spirits if representation is already ample enough.

If any holding back was done for Shantae, it seems more likely to be an elaborate hoax for the last Fighter Pass slot, with everyone before trying to trick others into believing only unrepresented IPs would get in.
As much as I'd love to believe that, the pattern seems to be completely unrepresented series getting in through the Pass. I'd love to be proven wrong in this case, especially with so many other huge names off the table for that last slot.

Also, the theory as to why Shantae's friends aren't Spirits has intrigued me for the past year. Sky, Bolo, Rottytops, Mimic, the Barons, Twitch, and Vinegar being MIA while Shovel Knight got his +1 and fellow playable knights seems very weird. Not to mention Shantae and Risky were the last additions to the base game's Spirit Board. There's plenty of characters outside of Shantae already in Spirit form that are just as fanservicey has her and her friends. It's so odd not having at least Rotty, Sky, and Bolo to go with her and Risky.

I know Sakurai said that finding artwork plays a major factor into making Spirits, but most if not all those characters have artwork that can be used (being cut off isn't an issue, as some Spirits are like that in the game). And if need be, WayForward could've always provided art to Sakurai and his team. I highly doubt adding pictures of Sky and Rottytops would've bumped the game up to a T.

One more thing, ALL of Banjo & Kazooie's Spirits (barring the duo's Fighter Spirit and possibly Jiggy's Spirit) are BRAND NEW RENDERS made from the models used in the Spiral Mountain stage. Sakurai can have his team make new art for Spirits if needed. So no, a lack of artwork for Shantae's friends is no excuse for their absence.

Last edited:

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
As much as I'd love to believe that, the pattern seems to be completely unrepresented series getting in through the Pass. I'd love to be proven wrong in this case, especially with so many other huge names off the table for that last slot.

Also, the theory as to why Shantae's friends aren't Spirits has intrigued me for the past year. Sky, Bolo, Rottytops, Mimic, the Barons, Twitch, and Vinegar being MIA while Shovel Knight got his +1 and fellow playable knights seems very weird. Not to mention Shantae and Risky were the last additions to the base game's Spirit Board. There's plenty of characters outside of Shantae already in Spirit form that are just as fanservicey has her and her friends. It's so odd not having at least Rotty, Sky, and Bolo to go with her and Risky.

I know Sakurai said that finding artwork plays a major factor into making Spirits, but most if not all those characters have artwork that can be used (being cut off isn't an issue, as some Spirits are like that in the game). And if need be, WayForward could've always provided art to Sakurai and his team. I highly doubt adding pictures of Sky and Rottytops would've bumped the game up to a T.

One more thing, ALL of Banjo & Kazooie's Spirits (barring the duo's Fighter Spirit and possibly Jiggy's Spirit) are BRAND NEW RENDERS made from the models used in the Spiral Mountain stage. Sakurai can have his team make new art for Spirits if needed. So no, a lack of artwork for Shantae's friends is no excuse for their absence.
Interesting points. So her hypothetical stage, would they just do Risky's pirate ship? Because I rather Risky just attack a Scuttle Town stage.

With that though, new spirit renders from cameos could be a thing. Who would you say be important cameos? Obviously Bolo, Sky, Rotty, and Mimic. I could also see leaning girl, a guard, the mayor, the fat lady, and some other town regular. Really though I'd love to see a civilian like the fat lady standing about, and then flee into a doorway when Risky attacks, and then walks back out later.

Dukefire

Smash Master
The stage could be just called Scuttle Town with Hazards of Attacks happening since that has been the town's #1 problem at the start of the Shantae Games.

Plus, we only got a week left before the VGA arrives. So...........the horde is coming. For now, its the calm before the storm.

Last edited:
Top Bottom