• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dukefire

Smash Master
No activity from WF and no rumors (like it does really count for smash ultimate) for shantae.

For now, hot topic on Mai not getting in smash.

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
Rumors and leaks, schmumors and schmeaks, 99% of these never mentioned Joker, Banjo-Kazooie, or Terry.

So actually, if she's not being mentioned, that's more in her favor (at least as far as Fighter's Pass 1's M.O. is concerned).

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
So, something just came to my mind so I don;t know if anyone has covered it: I remember that one of the points of contention with the mii fighter "leak" was tha one of Ken's attacks did a damage percentage that it shouldn't have been able to do. Now that Terry is out and characters have undergone more balancing, does this number now match up?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So, something just came to my mind so I don;t know if anyone has covered it: I remember that one of the points of contention with the mii fighter "leak" was tha one of Ken's attacks did a damage percentage that it shouldn't have been able to do. Now that Terry is out and characters have undergone more balancing, does this number now match up?
Take into consideration character handicap? No 1v1 modifier? This being a dev build they can do what they please with?

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
Take into consideration character handicap? No 1v1 modifier? This being a dev build they can do what they please with?
This. I don't know anything about Ultimate's debug mode that I'd think would be able to be accessed on hacked Switches, but this would seem possible to do in that scenario given other games' powerful debug modes.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Someone in patch 5.0.0 (pre-Terry) was able to get the damage Ken did in the leak.

Last edited:

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, but it's really limited in this case. Grinch went for at least more than just 2 characters. Why not go full hog in that case and include everyone that's currently brought up the most via related custom Miis, if you want to be an attention hog?
It'd be more about "Hey, fooled y'all, check out these hacks that I made and can be done" than faking some art. Same "accomplishment," different flavor.

zferolie

Smash Hero
So does Sabi know if its one of these frontrunners, or someone else completely random and unknown?

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Dukefire

Smash Master
This is now making my flame hype building up to the climax for this year.
Screenshot_20191105-234120_YouTube.jpg

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
Hold on, did Duck Hunt's brown and red alt hint at Banjo-Kazooie? Because Daisy has a red and purple alt. And K. Rool does have a black and red alt.

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
Other than how much hip is showing, her biggest issue is her top I would assume. She has the same basic outfit as Jasmin, but she does have less fabric. At the same time, I'd assume Japan is ok with the Little Mermaid with Ariel's shells. Shantae did have a top way back when for a valentine's day event. Even half as much fabric as that would work if needed.

Actually, this panty shot issue might have a silver lining. If the concern is seeing up skirts, that's a different distraction than cleavage. As long as her pants stay securely on her hips, and maybe be opaque again, she might actually have no problems.

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
To clarify things a bit; CERO isn't worried about how much skin someone shows, or necessarily where. CERO is more worried about the sexualization of things. Overly big breasts, questionable jigglephysics and showing skin too high up the thigh to the point where they practically imply they're not wearing any underwear (ala Mai) is what CERO doesn't like. Panty shots are one such thing too and Palutena is the one that got changed for that (her shorts got darked to reduce visibility and the cut in the dress got smaller (might just be the Japanese version only though, I don't quite remember)).
Often the counter argument is "But Bayo...". Look closely and you'll see Bayo doesn't oversexualize. She does in her games, but not in Smash. She doesn't show skin too much or flaunt her breasts and butt too much. Striking feminine poses and all that isn't really a big deal and she doesn't strip down as much as she does in her games.

Given how Shantae is stylized and doesn't have overly big breasts and her outfit is more cultural than sexualized, you can conclude that Shantae is perfectly safe by CERO standards. She doesn't do anything sexualized. Like people stated before; HGH got the rating it did because of Giga Mermaid (Big, green, bouncy boobies).
At worst, Shantae will need to pull up her pants a little or put on a vest just to make sure, but I highly doubt that's even going to be necessary.

ss+(2019-11-06+at+08.52.45).jpg

So as long as it isn't oversexualized, it should be fine. And anything that passes CERO standards in that regard is highly likely to pass the ESRB and PEGI as well (those other two are more uptight about violence than sexuality).
This whole statement on Mai doesn't affect Shantae at all and, after the presentation, has only increased Shantae's chances in my opinion.

Hopefully this clarifies things a bit and put some minds at ease.

D

Deleted member

Want to see your Half-Genie Heroine duke it out on Smash's Stage? Help sign the female DLC character petition! It can help increase your character's chances. Let your voice be heard!

http://chng.it/LWFtjZjMp5

PS, add me to the support list. Shantae would rock in Smash, too bad she's a Spirit. But that doesn't stop her from joining!

"One shot, one kill."

kool2419

Smash Apprentice
Want to see your Half-Genie Heroine duke it out on Smash's Stage? Help sign the female DLC character petition! It can help increase your character's chances. Let your voice be heard!

http://chng.it/LWFtjZjMp5

PS, add me to the support list. Shantae would rock in Smash, too bad she's a Spirit. But that doesn't stop her from joining!

"One shot, one kill."
You have my contribution.

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
On one hand, it's more breadcrumbs, but on the other hand, you might be on to something. :ultdaisy:
We have enough crumbs to make a whole loaf! Although, a whole video with Shantae/Daisy is a scenario I can't imagine. Would be cool, but I don't know what the context would be or how it would play out.

November 2018, perfectchaos83 of GameFAQs forums notes:
"[Along with Matt's recent following of Sakurai on Twitter,] He seems to have recently followed Funko too. That's a bit interesting."

Well now I'm just flat-out Ret-2-Go!

Last edited:

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
Hopefully this clarifies things a bit and put some minds at ease.
It does. At least for me. That's really enlightening. Sexy not inherently being the question but sexualization is. It feels like that shouldn't make sense but it does.

Apparently, I've been an idiot. I was worried about her franchise symbol before. I have looked at this picture a dozen of time and never noticed Wayforward really did make a symbol already

Also, something to note. I've been using the DLC Speculation page for reading material recently (there's a lot of pages, I won't run out). Apparently, Shantae was brought up in discussion last Sunday (I'm about 100 pages behind; that may have been mentioned by regulars here, I didn't pay attention) before the thread got distracted by a tangent. This is the third or fourth time I've noticed if she's brought up, either she gets put down by someone mentioning Shovel Knight (or maybe Reimu/Quota), or a distraction happened when Shantae's discussion is not quite finished. Or in this case, both. Like, she gets kicked as an underdog frequently.

Dukefire

Smash Master
It does. At least for me. That's really enlightening. Sexy not inherently being the question but sexualization is. It feels like that shouldn't make sense but it does.

Apparently, I've been an idiot. I was worried about her franchise symbol before. I have looked at this picture a dozen of time and never noticed Wayforward really did make a symbol already

Also, something to note. I've been using the DLC Speculation page for reading material recently (there's a lot of pages, I won't run out). Apparently, Shantae was brought up in discussion last Sunday (I'm about 100 pages behind; that may have been mentioned by regulars here, I didn't pay attention) before the thread got distracted by a tangent. This is the third or fourth time I've noticed if she's brought up, either she gets put down by someone mentioning Shovel Knight (or maybe Reimu/Quota), or a distraction happened when Shantae's discussion is not quite finished. Or in this case, both. Like, she gets kicked as an underdog frequently.
And the butt end of the joke. Shantae is having a rough time after Shovel Knight (Indie Poster boy) was AT and not fighter a year ago.

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
And the butt end of the joke. Shantae is having a rough time after Shovel Knight (Indie Poster boy) was AT and not fighter a year ago.
Every nasty comment I've ever made about Reddit Knight...

Has been utterly correct. That bunch absolutely detests Shantae regardless of the circumstances under which she's discussed. I would love more pogojumping action but not like this (didn't have to be Ducktales 3, either). Not with these scathing fans, not with this concept.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Every nasty comment I've ever made about Reddit Knight...

Has been utterly correct. That bunch absolutely detests Shantae regardless of the circumstances under which she's discussed. I would love more pogojumping action but not like this (didn't have to be Ducktales 3, either). Not with these scathing fans, not with this concept.
I remember when I was on the Smash Sub-Reddit, people would come up with baseless reasons why Shantae shouldn't be in because of Shovel Knight just being more popular. I would tell them of Shantae's history with Nintendo, having more games, her seniority, greater moveset potential, ect and they would always brush me off.

D

Deleted member

Posting this from the ultimate social thread

Super late response, but according to Imran Khan (a leaker with a great track record and insider knowledge) Nintendo made the ultimate decision to extend DLC around E3 this year. He mentioned it in his stream around 17:00 and said they were iffy about it until they saw the sales.
So apparently Nintendo chose to do more dlc meaning sakurai was likley unaware of it and likley wasn't planned

in conclusion...
6C5259A4-3FC8-454C-B10E-F94E68F81936.jpeg

moraven116

Smash Rookie
I know this is just mainly wishful thinking on my part. However does anyone else find it strange how Wayforward has been so mum about Seven Sirens and it's release date? I mean take River City Girls for instance. It was announced in April, given a release date in July, and launched in September. Shantae 5 was announced in March and has just been slated as releasing in 2019. Since part of it is playable on the apple arcade, I would assume it's in a playable state. It makes me wonder if they're waiting on something specific? A Nintendo direct, a nindy direct, or something else entirely?

Dukefire

Smash Master
WF usually show their stuff on their terms. So, it makes the drops unpredictable. Though, WF has been quiet for Shantae and the Seven Sirens since PAX West 2019 and the Part 1 release for Apple Arcade.

In short, WF is working hard to make sure Shantae has the best experiencing her vacation (work) with her friends and audience.

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
I know this is just mainly wishful thinking on my part. However does anyone else find it strange how Wayforward has been so mum about Seven Sirens and it's release date? I mean take River City Girls for instance. It was announced in April, given a release date in July, and launched in September. Shantae 5 was announced in March and has just been slated as releasing in 2019. Since part of it is playable on the apple arcade, I would assume it's in a playable state. It makes me wonder if they're waiting on something specific? A Nintendo direct, a nindy direct, or something else entirely?
You're not the only one. It's really odd. And I wish the subreddit would take a break from fanart so someone could bring it up without it getting drowned out by fluffy stuff. (but that's why I'm subbed to both r/zelda and r/truezelda).

So far both Seven Sirens announcements were not announced with other nindies. The "Shantae 5" was announced a month after one Nindie direct while the "Shantae and the Seven Sirens" title drop was also separate, I think also by Wayforward on Twitter..

My only thing is, we most likely will not hear anything about Smash DLC (officially) until the Game Awards. So we need to see if FP#5 or Post-Fighter's Pass DLC anything will showcase her. Because that's the time to announce stuff during the winter. If they're holding off for something like that I could see it. Perhaps they're planning something like Isabelle in Animal Crossing. An animation showing off what starts as a SS date announcement, switching off into a Smash reveal, and then reverts back into SS announcement. It would work since the game starts off with all the half-genies "getting invitations" to the fancy rigged event thing. We could see Shantae getting an invitation for each.

moraven116

Smash Rookie
Great thoughts Raven. I tend to read too much into things, however WayForward has been acting very tight lipped compared to how they were during the Smash 4 era. I’ve noticed that they constantly retweet things on Twitter about all their properties, including Shantae. The only exception being when anyone suggests anything connected to Smash. It’s just peculiar because the silence feels noteworthy. If the extent of her inclusion is only a spirit, you’d assume they’d just be casual and say something along the lines of her maybe getting a shot in the next game. But to just be completely unresponsive about smash? My hope is this reeks of an NDA.

moraven116

Smash Rookie
Actually come to think of it, I think Seven Sirens is the first Shantae game in ages that didn’t need crowdfunding. Hmm.

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
Wasn't Half-Genie Hero the only game in the series that needed crowdfunding, though?
Sure, but it needed it to exist. And the levels were mostly provided by stretch goals.

Now we've got a game that has plenty of meat, and voices, and animated cutscenes! Stretch goals that weren't even close to met.

(If they diverted funds from HGH to SatSS, I'm more than happy to know that SatSS is what was done with my funds!!)

Top Bottom