• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Lets not get ahead of ourselves.
Speculating is fine, it's only when you expect your speculation to be true that causes trouble.

Still it does make you wonder. Why not talk about your video game at the biggest video game event of the year and instead talk about it during an Anime event.

Easiest answer is maybe they weren't ready by the time E3 rolled around and anime expo was the next nerd related event to talk, but it still seems odd. Maybe Christina is there because of some voice work she is promoting so they decided to make an announcement there so she could be part of it?

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Could you imagine the cognitive dissonance over in places like 4chan and GameFaqs if Vergeben (or someone somehow "credible") leaked Shantae as DLC for Smash?
You mean like that Shinobi dude?

Last edited by a moderator:

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
You mean like that Shinobi dude?
I mean as crappy as it is to say this, I am actually kinda looking forward to future leaks simply because Banjo and "Erdrick" leaks are now out of the way. That being said, I can guarantee you that I'll get tired of them shortly after they actually come out (unless of course a leak coming from someone with a good track record happens to include Shantae).

I just have a funny feeling about the last two characters and I can't describe why.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Speculating is fine, it's only when you expect your speculation to be true that causes trouble.

Still it does make you wonder. Why not talk about your video game at the biggest video game event of the year and instead talk about it during an Anime event.

Easiest answer is maybe they weren't ready by the time E3 rolled around and anime expo was the next nerd related event to talk, but it still seems odd. Maybe Christina is there because of some voice work she is promoting so they decided to make an announcement there so she could be part of it?
Yeah, you'd think they'd at least wait for the year's big indie Direct on August(?) before doing that, and they have been a no-show for both Nindies (albeit they were mostly working on Bloodstained at the time).

Then again, Shantae's anime-styled enough that the series would blend in Anime Expo just fine and no one would blink an eye, but you know...

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
So someone from japan leaked back in December Hero was coming and no female alts, and also had some other stuff right.

They also said the next fighter is going to be a female...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So someone from japan leaked back in December Hero was coming and no female alts, and also had some other stuff right.

Well, doesn't exactly narrow it down, does it? We just have literally every noteworthy female video game character short of Coco being a package deal with Crash, but it's something. :drshrug:

At least the leaker in question seems more accurate than 5Chan (which had claimed Anlucia would have been one of Hero's alts).

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005

I saw that over on GameFAQs but it also said that the female character in question looks like she comes from a fighting game. Would Shantae fit the bill here?

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace

Wouldn't it be funny...

Well, doesn't exactly narrow it down, does it? We just have literally every noteworthy female video game character short of Coco being a package deal with Crash, but it's something. :drshrug:

At least the leaker in question seems more accurate than 5Chan (which had claimed Anlucia would have been one of Hero's alts).
But what about 3rd party female characters? The DLC seems to be honing in solely on 3rd party stuff so far.

That "leaker" admitted to trolling.
Good to know. Oof to my other replies.

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
Just throwing it out there, A Shantae anime would be pretty cool. Not sure exactly what genre it would be...but I would probably watch it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
The chaos for the Final two? spots are starting to climb faster. Along with more leaks coming in tow.

There will be madness on the upcoming months soon.
Screenshot_20190610-135826_YouTube.jpg

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The chaos for the Final two? spots are starting to climb faster. Along with more leaks coming in tow.

There will be madness on the upcoming months soon.
View attachment 228232
I get the feeling that people will have wasted effort tearing each other apart for nothing when it turns out there's (presumably) more coming after the 5th guy. My face when that silliness possibly happens.

a7e.jpg

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Just throwing it out there, A Shantae anime would be pretty cool. Not sure exactly what genre it would be...but I would probably watch it.
If it doesn't directly follow the plot of one of the games (which would make it something akin to One Piece), then slice of life seems to be the consensus. The original implies Risky regularly attacks Scuttle Town between her larger schemes (not unlike Eggman in Sonic Boom) and there's no shortage of frenemies that can provide episode-by-episode shenanigans. Half-Genie Hero even follows that structure to an extent.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If it doesn't directly follow the plot of one of the games (which would make it something akin to One Piece), then slice of life seems to be the consensus. The original implies Risky regularly attacks Scuttle Town between her larger schemes (not unlike Eggman in Sonic Boom) and there's no shortage of frenemies that can provide episode-by-episode shenanigans. Half-Genie Hero even follows that structure to an extent.
Kinda sounds like what was done for the animated version of Tara Duncan; don't even directly adapt the source material's stories at all, but do a spin-off.

Also, HGH would have had even more episodic adventures if the Kickstarter ended with sufficient enough funding (although one of the scrapped scenarios served as a basis for Friends to the End's ending).

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I’ve been working on ideas for that myself, so far I’ve mostly focused on adapting the overall storyline of the games in an animated format (as well as the voice cast) though I’ve been playing around with some ideas for subplots or original plotlines/story arcs as well.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Wait so WayForward stated that Shantae 5 info coming in a anime expo? Now that does not make sense.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Wait so WayForward stated that Shantae 5 info coming in a anime expo? Now that does not make sense.
I still don't quite get what is WF planning either.

From M A Y O Bored Vol 2
Screenshot_20190617-014402_YouTube.jpg

Dukefire

Smash Master
They're indies, they do whatever they feel like, much like Playtonic thinking that a follow-up to Yooka-Laylee needs to be different instead of building up on top of the foundation that was laid down. :drshrug:
If you are a small company of your own with not a lot objecting, you call the shots.

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
They're indies, they do whatever they feel like, much like Playtonic thinking that a follow-up to Yooka-Laylee needs to be different instead of building up on top of the foundation that was laid down. :drshrug:
Say what you want about it, but I personally think the game will benefit from this change.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Say, it does help that Cristina Vee is an anime voice actress, right? That can add leeway in regards to Shantae sneaking into an anime expo.

Say what you want about it, but I personally think the game will benefit from this change.
Yeah, though we can't tell for sure until first impressions come out. I imagine that Tropical Freeze style would be difficult to stumble with.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
I just recently finished playing through Half-Genie Hero after getting it on sale. A fantastic game, if a little on the short side. And the Pirate Queen's Quest DLC was a real treat. Such a shame that none of the other DLC is that great. The costumes provide alternate takes on the game, which is nice, but at this point I've already played through these levels and fought these bosses enough times to not really make it worth it in my opinion. However, the mechanics of the Friends to the End DLC as pretty cool. If only they had different levels to utilize them in.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Say, it does help that Cristina Vee is an anime voice actress, right? That can add leeway in regards to Shantae sneaking into an anime expo.

Yeah, though we can't tell for sure until first impressions come out. I imagine that Tropical Freeze style would be difficult to stumble with.
Speaking about Cristina Vee, she did post months ago about her going to the Miraculous Labybug convention. I forgot about the post's info though.:(

Top Bottom