• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Reminder that ATs are a death sentence until further notice, so Shovel Knight's out. And I don't expect anything to pan out for Rayman anyway, seeing how Brawlhalla is the only thing Ubisoft put him in lately and still hasn't announced a brand-new Rayman game since the Wii U days...

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Reminder that ATs are a death sentence until further notice, so Shovel Knight's out. And I don't expect anything to pan out for Rayman anyway, seeing how Brawlhalla is the only thing Ubisoft put him in lately and still hasn't announced a brand-new Rayman game since the Wii U days...
And the duo from Adventure Time is joining the fight in Brawlhala.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Well, sure enough, nothing happened, as expected. Although WF did do a showcase Twitter post for Mighty Switch Force 2.

Now is the time to wait until possibly August for further details on Shantae 5.
At least WF was considerate to say they won't be at E3 early to avoid backlash.

Again, Shantae 5's announcement would've been consumed by the highlight of the event for nintendo.
Screenshot_20190612-091509_Video Player.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

zferolie

Smash Hero
I am still on the shantae train, but she does have some stiff competition still.

Crash is both big in NA and JP, voted qell, and been on the upswing for a few years now, especially during smash development. I think he has a good chance.

Another namco rep of either tales of or tekken or soul calibur. All 3 are big main titles.

Another capcom rep most likely just being a RE rep(hoping jill), or MAYBE Pheonix Wright.

I dont think doomguy is that likely anymore mostly due to... well way too violent. That last gameplay sold me on that.

Only indie Shantae has to watch out for is Reimu. She is massive in japan and could be considered a bigger indie queen then shantae.

Ryu Hayabusa also has a fighting chance due to being the last unrepresented nes classic in the game.

Snk has Mai shiranui, the biggest female fighter in gaming probably(at least japan side).

Rayman also still has a chance, despite having a lot more spirits then shantae has. There are a ton still to pull from so its not like its impossible for him to have his own special spirit board.

If i missed anyone else big just let me know.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
So if spirits were straight up confirmed to NOT deconfirm a character from being DLC, lets assume Sakurai came out with such a statement, what do you think the general consensus on Shantae's chances would be from us supporters, haters and people of indifference would be afterwards?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So if spirits were straight up confirmed to NOT deconfirm a character from being DLC, lets assume Sakurai came out with such a statement, what do you think the general consensus on Shantae's chances would be from us supporters, haters and people of indifference would be afterwards?
"Oh yes", "Indies still don't fit in" and "Neat", in that order.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I am still on the shantae train, but she does have some stiff competition still.

Crash is both big in NA and JP, voted qell, and been on the upswing for a few years now, especially during smash development. I think he has a good chance.

Another namco rep of either tales of or tekken or soul calibur. All 3 are big main titles.

Another capcom rep most likely just being a RE rep(hoping jill), or MAYBE Pheonix Wright.

I dont think doomguy is that likely anymore mostly due to... well way too violent. That last gameplay sold me on that.

Only indie Shantae has to watch out for is Reimu. She is massive in japan and could be considered a bigger indie queen then shantae.

Ryu Hayabusa also has a fighting chance due to being the last unrepresented nes classic in the game.

Snk has Mai shiranui, the biggest female fighter in gaming probably(at least japan side).

Rayman also still has a chance, despite having a lot more spirits then shantae has. There are a ton still to pull from so its not like its impossible for him to have his own special spirit board.

Crash, I already explained how he and his fanbase have to contend with Spyro, it's either both or none if you don't want a bloodbath.

I won't discount the possibility of those Namco reps, but I honestly think Reiji's role as the main protagonist of his own massive gaming crossover makes him such a good fit for Smash that it overrides the relative lack of knowledge about him from fans.

You say Doom is too violent, but you don't think the hideous mutated abominations with their exposed organs of Resident Evil aren't? I also fail to see what any protagonist can bring that Snake doesn't. You only have to look at Ridley and how he pulls off stabbing people in the heart, scraping their heads across the ground and crushing Mario's head in his trailer to see how they can pull off violent without raising ratings.

Reimu may be a hit in Japan but demand for her in the west is near nonexistent. Dragon Quest is even bigger there and even though it's appeal here may utterly pale in comparison, it's still a fairly recognizable brand by most.

And I have trouble seeing an SNK character due to their general lack of presence on Nintendo platforms. Plus you have to be pretty darn special to share Mr. Fighting Game Ryu's Smash niche of using special inputs, and I don't see Mai eclipsing someone like Chun-Li in popularity by such a margin it makes her a certainty. Not that it matters since they sure as heck don't factor genders heavily, otherwise we would have female alts for Hero.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I would prefer for now to not think about the competition for the Remaining two slots for DLC. Thinking about it just makes my brain go back on fire.

RockOfMind

Smash Apprentice
I bought the fighter pass with my birthday eshop giftcards, so it wasn't really a big deal if someone I really cared about got in. Joker was a fine addition but I wasn't personally attached to the character in any way. I was perfectly fine with DQ getting in, but now that I see the DQ8 alt I'm pretty happy cause that was the only game I fully played through. Now Banjo, I have a personal connection with so I'm more than satisfied with whoever we get next.
Shantae is my number one pick still. But whoever the last two are is fine in my book.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I think Terry Bogard has a higher chance than Mai as an SNK rep.

And I have trouble seeing an SNK character due to their general lack of presence on Nintendo platforms.
Sure as hell didn’t stop Persona...

Last edited:

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
Hello! I have come from the Banjo-Kazooie thread! Now that they are, after all this time, joining the roster, I am here for my second most wanted: Shantae!

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Hello! I have come from the Banjo-Kazooie thread! Now that they are, after all this time, joining the roster, I am here for my second most wanted: Shantae!
Thanks for dropping by! I'm super excited for Banjo and Kazooie, and knowing people like you got their number one wish makes it all the better! Here's hoping Shantae gets to join them. 4 out of 5!

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
If Banjo-Kazooie can get in for the sole reason being a former Nintendo exclusive with a passionate fanbase, I can't help but feel excited knowing Shantae can get in for that reason too now.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

True, but I'm positive if they put another Ballot pick in the Season Pass it will be Shantae. The three names I heard the most during the Ballot days were K. Rool, Banjo & Kazooie, and Shantae and two of them made it. Let's see if Nintendo will give our half-genie hero that same chance.

If Banjo-Kazooie can get in for the sole reason being a former Nintendo exclusive with a passionate fanbase, I can't help but feel excited knowing Shantae can get in for that reason too now.
I really wouldn't compare Shantae to Banjo & Kazooie. Yes they are almost equally popular in the Smash community, and yes they have deep ties with Nintendo, but Shantae is a indie icon and Banjo & Kazooie are N64 icons. That's a huge difference no matter how you slice it.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
True, but I'm positive if they put another Ballot pick in the Season Pass it will be Shantae. The three names I heard the most during the Ballot days were K. Rool, Banjo & Kazooie, and Shantae and two of them made it. Let's see if Nintendo will give our half-genie hero that same chance.

I really wouldn't compare Shantae to Banjo & Kazooie. Yes they are almost equally popular in the Smash community, and yes they have deep ties with Nintendo, but Shantae is a indie icon and Banjo & Kazooie are N64 icons. That's a huge difference no matter how you slice it.
Yeah if its ballot pick third parties, it would be Geno, Shantae, Rayman or Crash. those are the big ones left

Dukefire

Smash Master
Though, it might be another 2 months to know if the next challenger is teased and Shantae 5 is getting a gameplay preview.

Just don't go bothering WF to ask when the game will be released, though not a lot are gonna do that.

Screenshot_20190614-162316_YouTube.jpg

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Though, it might be another 2 months to know if the next challenger is teased and Shantae 5 is getting a gameplay preview.

Just don't go bothering WF to ask when the game will be released, though not a lot are gonna do that.

View attachment 228080
I honestly don't expect to hear anything about fighter number 4 and possibly 5 until Banjo & Kazooie drops. And just like Hero with Dragon Quest, Shantae doesn't need to be revealed for Smash alongside Shantae 5. If she's in, Nintendo will reveal her when they want too.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
I honestly don't expect to hear anything about fighter number 4 and possibly 5 until Banjo & Kazooie drops. And just like Hero with Dragon Quest, Shantae doesn't need to be revealed for Smash alongside Shantae 5. If she's in, Nintendo will reveal her when they want too.
Hope to either one appearing later on. Until then, Bloodstained is almost here. (For other consoles first, then switch week after.)
Also, The Hero and Banjo Kazooie's placement on the artwork.
Screenshot_20190614-192810_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20190614-192826_YouTube.jpg

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Screenshot_20190611-082056_YouTube.jpg

Well, this is surprising news. Also, it is a big event.

So, its a good chance we will see some Shantae 5 Gameplay and its official title name.

Edit: the Anime Expo will start on July 4th Independence Day and end on July 7th.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
View attachment 228103

Well, this is surprising news. Also, it is a big event.

So, its a good chance we will see some Shantae 5 Gameplay and its official title name.

Edit: the Anime Expo will start on July 4th Independence Day and end on July 7th.
Can you please at least thumbnail these massive obnoxious GUmball cartoon pics? please

Dukefire

Smash Master
thanks, god those were reminding how much that show's declined in quality.

Why animeexpo though? the ****?
That reason is unknown, but either by PR, for E3 was crowded with big game changers by announcements. You know......

Keanu Reeves appearence
Doom Eternal
Microsoft
Nintendo Direct and its big highlights

Or both
Screenshot_20190615-204212_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20190615-204224_Video Player.jpg

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
thanks, god those were reminding how much that show's declined in quality.

Qhy animeexpo though? the ****?
That reason is unknown, but either by PR, for E3 was crowded with big game changers by announcements. You know......

Keanu Reeves appearence
Doom Eternal
Microsoft
Nintendo Direct and its big highlights

Or both
Also, the presumed indie Direct isn't until August, so this is close enough.

Top Bottom