• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
There's a conspicuous indie-shaped hole in the roster considering the prominence and importance (especially in the Wii U/3DS days) of Nindies. Shovel Knight assist and spirits are a start but I can't think of anyone better than Shantae, who was a Nindie before Nindies were even a thing.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Well, Shovel Knight and Shantae often switch places on the indie icon back on the 3DS E-Shop.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Well uhh that Earthbound image shared on here...apparently it IS actual footage.

and also some people are saying now it ISNT smash leak but a MOTHER leak.

But still could just be SFM type stuff.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I mean, does that make it any close to real?
I mean now iinstead of being a single blurry pic, its blurry footage of something much harder to fake relative to a picture.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Lets see

Earthbound Beginnings (Mother 1)
Giegue is the true enemy and is an alien with powerful PSI (PK) abilities. Retreated after hearing the Eight Melodies.
Earthbound (Mother 2)
Giygus is the Embodiment of Evil and is spread his influence from the past. Died from receiving Prayers from thousands of people and the Player
Mother 3
Pokey (Now Porky)
The enemy for Lucas as he did all of this out of being bored from time traveling and brain washing his brother Claus. Eventually trapped in the Absolutely Safety Capsule forever immortal.

Not sound releivent, but something to count the enemy's doom to the end.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Blurry stuff never ends well. They know they'll never come close to matching the Ken leak again.
If it helps, some of our real leaks were blurry. Smash 4 had a blurry one too for the roster image.

So I wouldn't write it off too easily. Of course, we get bad ones like the Grinch Leak too.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I want a Shantae leak, not a real one, just something to show people she's got enough support that someone would go out of their way to make a fake one.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I want a Shantae leak, not a real one, just something to show people she's got enough support that someone would go out of their way to make a fake one.
I have waited over 15 years for a single Quest 64-related leak(I'd say 20, but the game came out in 1998, so eh). I truly know how you feel. Okay, joking aside, it'd be cool to see more leaks with one's favorite characters.

Yeah, though most fake visual leaks aren't even trying right now. We're stuck with Sturgeon's Law on this front.
Well, they do say they're plenty of fish in the sea. :p

And badly made leaks are like 99% of them. Give or take maybe 10%.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Saw these art pieces retweeted on Matt Bozons twitter, so I figured they should be shared.
On a diffrent note, I am almost finished up with my first playthrough of Hollow Knight. Great game, I can see why some people look at the mc and see a good Smash moveset(Though Shantae of course is still my most wanted indie). Not entirely sure how I would rank the character on my personal list however, even when I just count indies.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Well uhh that Earthbound image shared on here...apparently it IS actual footage.

and also some people are saying now it ISNT smash leak but a MOTHER leak.

But still could just be SFM type stuff.
Its an SFM video easily. Ness isn't moving at all, just his default pose. The guy who shared that litterally makes SFM's for a living.

Saw these art pieces retweeted on Matt Bozons twitter, so I figured they should be shared.
On a diffrent note, I am almost finished up with my first playthrough of Hollow Knight. Great game, I can see why some people look at the mc and see a good Smash moveset(Though Shantae of course is still my most wanted indie). Not entirely sure how I would rank the character on my personal list however, even when I just count indies.
Those are some very nice shantae arts!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I have waited over 15 years for a single Quest 64-related leak(I'd say 20, but the game came out in 1998, so eh). I truly know how you feel. Okay, joking aside, it'd be cool to see more leaks with one's favorite characters.
On a side note, I remember how the script fanfic series Battle of the Video Game Heroes had an occasional running gag of characters falling asleep upon being shown a Quest 64 cart. I guess it can't shake off its reputation of being a "boring" game, even now.

But yeah, I know the feeling. There hasn't been a single person in the leaking scene that entertained the notion of other Konami-owned characters like Master Higgins joining.

Its an SFM video easily. Ness isn't moving at all, just his default pose. The guy who shared that litterally makes SFM's for a living.

Those are some very nice shantae arts!
Good to know, so another fake tossed in the bin.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Well, looks like we are getting a Pokemon Direct on the 5th. I wonder if that means Nintendo has a lot to talk about at E3 if they are basically letting their biggest game of the holiday season blow all of it's secrets less than a week before E3.

Or they could have so much to say about pokemon that they will add even more info at E3, tho that seems far less likely to me.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Good to know.

And honestly, I fail to see how either Giygas or Porky would work as character.
Giygas I could see, if it were his incarnation from the first Mother-Game.
But otherwise...

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero

As @leBeteNoire said, mini direct for pokemon coming.

As for why they are doing this? Pokemon always does their own thing. they always do their own directs and really don't announce huge stuff during nintendo directs.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Well, if that game is big and its not going to be released yet. Its best to show what you have to offer early since E3 is where all the big games will be announced. Spotlights will be hogged for attention.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
That Sakurai was upset about how he ended up getting Roy's personality wrong seems a bit weird when you look at the made-up persona of Captain Falcon and how his own appearances ended up making him more mild-mannered, yet Smash Falcon is the same as ever, initially exaggerating Bowser's monstrousness because he didn't like how he was becoming more comic relief, and to a lesser extent Mario being more serious and Luigi being more goofy. And, when they brought Roy back in 4, his dialogue didn't change even though they seemingly had a golden opportunity to rectify their mistake.
Sakurai is a cool guy.
But you gotta love, how bizarre and inconsistent he is.

Like how he wants the portrayals of some characters to be accurate to the games, yet he has no problems completely changing other characters.

He also seems to change his mind constantly and easily loses track of what he said before (not faulting him for that).
Which is why I don't immediately believe that "something like Ultimate won't happen again".

And you should take anything Sakurai says with a grain of salt.
Only the Final Product, says all. ;)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Sakurai is a cool guy.
But you gotta love, how bizarre and inconsistent he is.

Like how he wants the portrayals of some characters to be accurate to the games, yet he has no problems completely changing other characters.

He also seems to change his mind constantly and easily loses track of what he said before (not faulting him for that).
Which is why I don't immediately believe that "something like Ultimate won't happen again".

And you should take anything Sakurai says with a grain of salt.
Only the Final Product, says all. ;)
I think part of this is because the general mindset of game creators in Japan is that they're generally more comfortable using the characters they've made, rather than those of others.

So, I suspect that after using other people's stuff for so many years, it might have scrambled his brain a tad. Also, imagine trying to keep track of the content of over a hundred games, something will be lost somewhere along the way sooner or later.

Granted, it also doesn't help that some fans are actually fine with these alternate portrayals, much like people who get mad if movesets get changed too much.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I think part of this is because the general mindset of game creators in Japan is that they're generally more comfortable using the characters they've made, rather than those of others.

So, I suspect that after using other people's stuff for so many years, it might have scrambled his brain a tad. Also, imagine trying to keep track of the content of over a hundred games, something will be lost somewhere along the way sooner or later.

Granted, it also doesn't help that some fans are actually fine with these alternate portrayals, much like people who get mad if movesets get changed too much.
Now don't misunderstand me. i'm not hating on him for that.
In fact, it's perfectly understandable.

What I do find annoying though, is whenever a Smash Bros game has a story, it's always written in Kirby's favour.
I mean, yes. I understand it's his own character and that he may have more ideas for his own characters/characters he has a connection to, than others.
But impartiality doesn't seem to be his forte

And I do find it noteworthy, that Smash Bros seems to be the only crossover game series with "bias" issues.
But when we look at games like the "X vs Capcom" or "Project X Zone" games, it truly feels like an even playing field, where each and every character has their moments and no character is more important than others.

Again, not hating on him.
He made amazing games.

But in the end, he is also just human.
And he has his fair share of weaknesses.
Let's not forget that. ;)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Now don't misunderstand me. i'm not hating on him for that.
In fact, it's perfectly understandable.

What I do find annoying though, is whenever a Smash Bros game has a story, it's always written in Kirby's favour.
I mean, yes. I understand it's his own character and that he may have more ideas for his own characters/characters he has a connection to, than others.
But impartiality doesn't seem to be his forte

And I do find it noteworthy, that Smash Bros seems to be the only crossover game series with "bias" issues.
But when we look at games like the "X vs Capcom" or "Project X Zone" games, it truly feels like an even playing field, where each and every character has their moments and no character is more important than others.

Again, not hating on him.
He made amazing games.

But in the end, he is also just human.
And he has his fair share of weaknesses.
Let's not forget that. ;)
He's just okay with doing stuff he knows what to do with. "Write what you know", as they say. If you do Kirby games long enough, of course you're going to make something similar to it out of habit. Although it would have been nice if he tried to put Kirby, Palutena and Bayonetta as the main characters at once, it is what it is. At least it's not convoluted like Kingdom Hearts gets (which does have much more blatant bias issues, but in a different way, but that's a different kettle of fish)...And to be fair, who else is simpler to control for a beginner than Kirby? Maybe Luigi, but I doubt they'd even consider it…

And besides, at least he doesn't make the characters look worse over time like Capcom does for their fighters now.

But enough of that, I think this is supposed to be a Shantae topic, so uh have an elephant.

D7NtErdWkAMsD1t.jpg

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
He's just okay with doing stuff he knows what to do with. "Write what you know", as they say. If you do Kirby games long enough, of course you're going to make something similar to it out of habit. Although it would have been nice if he tried to put Kirby, Palutena and Bayonetta as the main characters at once, it is what it is. At least it's not convoluted like Kingdom Hearts gets (which does have much more blatant bias issues, but in a different way, but that's a different kettle of fish)...And to be fair, who else is simpler to control for a beginner than Kirby? Maybe Luigi, but I doubt they'd even consider it…
Like I said, he is only human.
Still, other games like the ones I mentioned don't have this issue.

Also about "Capcom making characters look worse":
1. Subjective
2. How is it related to what I've been saying? o_O

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Like I said, he is only human.
Still, other games like the ones I mentioned don't have this issue.

Also about "Capcom making characters look worse":
1. Subjective
2. How is it related to what I've been saying? o_O
Well, consider how people prefer how Ken looks in Smash compared to Street Fighter V.

No, really, I'm done, let's move on please.

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
Well, consider how people prefer how Ken looks in Smash compared to Street Fighter V.
Yeah, and some of us are still ticked about Marvel VS. Capcom: Infinite. Fracking corporate mandates, petty rights issues, and time-crunch, keeping us from having playable X-Men and Fantastic 4 characters. Not to mention the fact that they’re neglecting fighting games that AREN’T a Street Fighter spinoff.
No, really, I'm done, let's move on please.
Agreed.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I can't say...

But there are A LOT of Shantae MII Fighters on Shared Content.
As well as a fair amount of "Scuttle Town" stages.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Something from Pokémon, they will have a Mini Direct all about for Pokémon Sword and Shield on June 5 for 15 Minutes.
Ya got :ultgreninja:'d a while ago my friend.

But even more interesting is that The Pokemon Company has been advertising a press conference event they are doing tomorrow. They sent it out in their newsletter which I don't think they have ever done before. Plus in the announcement they said the press conference will cover things that the fans will want to hear. Very odd move from Pokemon, but it certainly has my attention.

Dukefire

Smash Master

But even more interesting is that The Pokemon Company has been advertising a press conference event they are doing tomorrow. They sent it out in their newsletter which I don't think they have ever done before. Plus in the announcement they said the press conference will cover things that the fans will want to hear. Very odd move from Pokemon, but it certainly has my attention.
Also, it does lighten Nintendo's game presentations for E3. But it will be interesting to see what this next gen has to offer with the now hybrid game for on the go and at home.

Edit: Also, here is the colored version of the shantae artwork posted earlier.
Artist: drachenmagier
dd7v09v-3d76fa32-a28f-4aac-b51f-8e4820bfdcc3.jpg

Last edited:

RockOfMind

Smash Apprentice

Yeah this looks interesting. Probably gonna get the cliff notes version from someplace after it airs.
With these heavy hitters getting directs before E3, I wonder what's gonna go down. Hope to see really anything from Animal Crossing.
I put aside money last year for Pokemon and Animal Crossing, so it's really up there on my radar.
This drought has really been bad, just wanna see more from the Big N with this year's games.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Yeah this looks interesting. Probably gonna get the cliff notes version from someplace after it airs.
With these heavy hitters getting directs before E3, I wonder what's gonna go down. Hope to see really anything from Animal Crossing.
I put aside money last year for Pokemon and Animal Crossing, so it's really up there on my radar.
This drought has really been bad, just wanna see more from the Big N with this year's games.
Well, at least it looks like Cadence Of Hyrule will release this week: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...yrule_will_surprise_us_by_launching_this_week

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Oh yeah. Saw this one today. Gonna be getting it, though I haven't played the original so hope I like the gameplay.
Worst things I can say about the original is that it's quite short and many of the characters feel more like restrictions than interesting new ways to play. I'm hoping this one will have more meat to it.

Top Bottom