• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

zferolie

Smash Hero
So i hear vergeben is back saying Erdrick is still happening as is minecraft content. Is he still believable though?

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
So i hear vergeben is back saying Erdrick is still happening as is minecraft content. Is he still believable though?
He said that the first Fighter Pass character would be a Square-Enix character, and look what happened. He never saw it coming, and thus is full of scraplets. Sorry Vergeben-imaru, you can’t win them all.

D

Deleted member

While he did get most of the base game right...dlc is different thing here. (Se rep first? Nah) Plus that mc content could be leakbait since dlc was started to be worked on during December which also puts hitagis and xenos steve claim...into the dump

I wouldn’t be 100% on him

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
ya know. with how many "Leaks" that were flying around before launch, someone was bound to be right.

I don't give any "Text only leakers" any clout, I dont care if they were 100% right(which Verge has shown not to be anyways). without evidence physical evidence its impossible to know if it was a lucky/educated guess.

Plus verge pulls the "Sources" card, so when hes wrong, HE wasn't wrong, his source was wrong. and thats too iffy for me.

So can we not talk about what "Leakers" are saying. its pointless to give these people attention.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Here is a shantae artwork for tonight.
Artist: Golden Gooby
D5mfG2oWAAEoIcu.jpeg

Also is E3 getting closer, meaning discussion of the games display at the event will appear, including Smash Ultimate new challenger 2 and possibly 3.

For this, what do you think Shantae 5 (not official title yet) will offer?

Last edited:

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
what do you think Shantae 5 (not official title yet) will offer?
My guess would be a hybridization of Shantae's abilities,
What i mean by that is taking the ability design from PC (additives to base moveset) and more traditional ability design (transformations) and combining/using both of them.
One of the reasons PC is often cited as the best in the series is largely because it doesn't use transformations, buy incorporating all the ability upgrades to her main move-set it allowed them to keep more fluid game pace.

So maybe some of the upgrades would be to Shantae's standard move set, or (while yes it does kinda ruin lore) instant transformations!

D

Deleted member

Hey guys is shantae really niche in Japan? because he thinks her games sales make her niche
82EE8844-C2C0-4C68-85AF-CA71D293B259.jpeg

Prove him wrong

RockOfMind

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys is shantae really niche in Japan? because he thinks her games sales make her niche
View attachment 215214
Prove him wrong
For what it's worth, I play on a heavy japanese server in my MMO I play, and I was able to use the name Shantae before anyone else.
But I think she's popular there though, plenty of fanart I've seen anyways and that's good enough proof to me.

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
View attachment 215214
Prove him wrong
shes gaining popularity.
the physical version of HGH deluxe sold out in japan. and when it was relased it reached number 8 (i believe) in sales on Amazon japan switch games, if you go back several hundred pages i was following HGH deluxe launch in japan closely.

How amazon ranks things is Rate of sales as opposed to number of units.
but something of note it launched same week as Mega Man 11 preorders went up (as MM11 was number 1-3, due to various versions of the game)

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
shes gaining popularity.
Yeah, which is great. The latest numbers I remember for HGH in Japan were like 2,5k for Switch and 1,7k for PS4 (digital sales could bump these numbers up a bit), so while not too bad, they weren't flying off the shelves either. But the only way from here is up! I really hope Shantae keeps on growing and finds large fanbases all over the world. With her appearance in Smash giving her visibility for millions and millions of people, I think Shantae 5 is going to be her biggest game yet, both sales and popularity wise.

One thing I think WayForward should focus on in making Shantae more accessible is their non-English translations of the games. Stuff like Spanish, French, Japanese... I've heard they're really clunky, like almost Google Translate-tier stuff, which may be off-putting to some players. Luckily WF did mention they will improve on that with Shantae 5, I think, so it shouldn't be an issue going forward.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
My guess would be a hybridization of Shantae's abilities,
What i mean by that is taking the ability design from PC (additives to base moveset) and more traditional ability design (transformations) and combining/using both of them.
One of the reasons PC is often cited as the best in the series is largely because it doesn't use transformations, buy incorporating all the ability upgrades to her main move-set it allowed them to keep more fluid game pace.

So maybe some of the upgrades would be to Shantae's standard move set, or (while yes it does kinda ruin lore) instant transformations!
Fluid gameplay isn't the only reason Pirate's Curse is beloved, it also has deeper plot that fleshes out a number of important characters like Risky and Rottytops.

Also I don't really see how instant transoformations would break lore when they can just introduce more of it to explain how she can do that now. Personally I see it as Shantae always having quick, broad access to her magic reserves that let her briefly transform at any time, and dancing just lets her channel that into assuming a more complete, stable transformation.

zferolie

Smash Hero
shes gaining popularity.
the physical version of HGH deluxe sold out in japan. and when it was relased it reached number 8 (i believe) in sales on Amazon japan switch games, if you go back several hundred pages i was following HGH deluxe launch in japan closely.

How amazon ranks things is Rate of sales as opposed to number of units.
but something of note it launched same week as Mega Man 11 preorders went up (as MM11 was number 1-3, due to various versions of the game)
Thats good. I like seeing how well shantae keeps doing.

Fluid gameplay isn't the only reason Pirate's Curse is beloved, it also has deeper plot that fleshes out a number of important characters like Risky and Rottytops.

Also I don't really see how instant transoformations would break lore when they can just introduce more of it to explain how she can do that now. Personally I see it as Shantae always having quick, broad access to her magic reserves that let her briefly transform at any time, and dancing just lets her channel that into assuming a more complete, stable transformation.
The story for curse i think is the best in the series, and really built on the lore. While half genie had the animation it was a bit lacking story wise.

The only reason i feel they wont fully streamline transformations would be because you would loose her dancing. Hard to streamline the dances i think unless the damces are super fast, which also loses some of the charm. Dancing is a big part of her identity and i hope they can find a way to streamline it into the gameplay. Maybe dance fighting as well, or she can move or somethin while she dances for her transformations

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

The story for curse i think is the best in the series, and really built on the lore. While half genie had the animation it was a bit lacking story wise.

The only reason i feel they wont fully streamline transformations would be because you would loose her dancing. Hard to streamline the dances i think unless the damces are super fast, which also loses some of the charm. Dancing is a big part of her identity and i hope they can find a way to streamline it into the gameplay. Maybe dance fighting as well, or she can move or somethin while she dances for her transformations
You can still have the dances in addition to seamless transformations, just have to introduce the ability to upgrade the former method by giving the full transformations more than just specific utility roles. Namely better abilities in combat.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253

Just make Shantae learn Capoeria or something lmao, like let her fight using dance moves but dance moves can also go seamlessly into transformations to start chaining attacks. Of course this would mean the Shantae series would have to entirely change its playstyle since enemies don't really have hitstun, but I feel like it'd be more than worth it to make the gameplay faster.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Just make Shantae learn Capoeria or something lmao, like let her fight using dance moves but dance moves can also go seamlessly into transformations to start chaining attacks. Of course this would mean the Shantae series would have to entirely change its playstyle since enemies don't really have hitstun, but I feel like it'd be more than worth it to make the gameplay faster.
That isn't as far-fetched as you might think; in most games there's a select enemy type that you can optionally juggle/combo for extra monies, and though it was more common in the first game, some enemies do flinch when hit, like the desert bandits in Pirate's Curse. Giving Shantae a combo tree and tweaking most enemies to accomodate the fighting style would be a notable change, but not enough to take away it's metroidvania roots. Just look at Guacamelee.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Long time no see! How is everyone? And yes I'd LOVE to see Shantae as DLC; will it happen? probably not, but **** I'm afraid of how hype I'd get if she were announced. I might end up in the hospital!

2019 is turning out to be some year, huh? So much gaming news (Borderlands 3, Shantae 5, etc.) and other things I'm excited about too like certain anime news (Re: Zero season 2 announced, etc.) and whatnot.

Might as well share my Joker reveal reaction story because I wasn't on the boards for several months: So I was at a couple of my friends' apartment (Jacob and Logan from XP to Level 3 on YouTube--yes, it's true, but my brother and I are not a part of their channel), and we were watching the game awards of course. They eventually got bored of making memes and jokes about the show and started playing videogames with my brother in the other room. Meanwhile I kept watch over the game awards making sure that somehow some announcement wasn't going to happen (given how we were aware of Smash DLC). I had to raise my voice to tell them about something stupid happening whenever it did.

Well we were actually gathered that day to get our pre-ordered copies of Smash Ultimate and play all night to compete who could unlock the roster quicker (Logan and Jacob vs. me and my brother). So I was naive and thought that nothing was going to be announced anyways. As the time of Ultimate's release drew near, we all carpooled to the GameStop. Well, with no warning, Jacob (who was in front of me in the line at the GameStop) turns to me and inexplicably shows me a video from a particular twitter feed. And at that moment you could say I was "shook". Both Logan and Jacob were cracking up about our reaction, because they knew my brother and I really liked Persona 5 (and at the time Joker coming to Smash was only rarely joked about between us--never a serious consideration). I'll never forget Logan's comment to me: "The rare genuine smile."

It's true though, I haven't really experienced that sort of euphoria in quite some time (at least as it relates to videogame news).

By the way if you happen to watch Jacob and Logan playing Smash Ultimate with their DnD crew in February on their alternate channel "Arcane Arcade", the "friend who plays Jigglypuff" they refer to about two hours in the stream would be my brother.

But yeah going forward it's safe to assume we'll get at least one DLC character announcement at E3. Probably safer to assume it'd be related to bigger game companies like Microsoft and Capcom which have been heavily rumored to have DLC content in Smash. I'm not tossing my hat into that speculation ring anymore, though.

However like others have mentioned before, if by chance Shantae was to become a DLC character in Smash, she'd likely be announced in Fall given the release window for Shantae 5. I'm not going to hold my breath, though.

It doesn't stop me from having a pipe dream DLC roster, though....

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I found some art of Wario shoulder tackling Shantae. The artist is DrQuack64 on Deviantart
when_we_getting_dat_wario_and_shantae_crossover__by_drquack64_dcyesci-pre.jpg

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I found some art of Wario shoulder tackling Shantae. The artist is DrQuack64 on DeviantartView attachment 216027
The main thing I'd like to see from such a crossover is Shantae having a run-in with one of the enemies capable of turning you into a zombie. Coincidentally, Arabian Nights in Wario Land 4 is full of them.

More appreciation from japanese fans:

D

Deleted member

The main thing I'd like to see from such a crossover is Shantae having a run-in with one of the enemies capable of turning you into a zombie. Coincidentally, Arabian Nights in Wario Land 4 is full of them.

More appreciation from japanese fans:

When Rotty sees Wario turn into one and then changes back into his normal self by touching a patch of light, she'll be surprised.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dukefire

Smash Master
I see that Wario could come to Sequin Land for Treasure by using some transportation to get there. Like a ship, which could misinterprete shantae for another attack by Risky Boots.
Or a Mystic Item that sent him to Sequin Land (Like what happened in Wario Land Shake It.)

Edit: this also can give the Wario Land series another game added to its belt.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I see that Wario could come to Sequin Land for Treasure by using some transportation to get there. Like a ship, which could misinterprete shantae for another attack by Risky Boots.
Or a Mystic Item that sent him to Sequin Land (Like what happened in Wario Land Shake It.)

Edit: this also can give the Wario Land series another game added to its belt.
Wario knows how to pilot a plane, so he could probably use it to get there.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Wario knows how to pilot a plane, so he could probably use it to get there.
Though, we don't know the time period gap between Shantae and Wario. But that can all be bypassed and done with creativity.

D

Deleted member

Though, we don't know the time period gap between Shantae and Wario. But that can all be bypassed and done with creativity.
My guess is either the plane or a mystical artifact is what is used for Wario to travel to Sequin Land. I'd be all smiles when he steals treasure from Risky. Shoulder tackling, piledriving, and swinging around all of her Tinkerbats.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Well, hope to see something in the near future.

Also, here is a Shantae Artwork for tonight
Artist: JaysonBlade
may_the_4th_shantae_by_jaysonblade-dd661il.jpg

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The only problem with a Wario Land crossover is how the only consistent character in that series is Wario himself, and maybe Captain Syrup. Kind of uneven with the amount the Shantae series has. I still think it would work best as part of a larger Mario universe crossover.

D

Deleted member

The only problem with a Wario Land crossover is how the only consistent character in that series is Wario himself, and maybe Captain Syrup. Kind of uneven with the amount the Shantae series has. I still think it would work best as part of a larger Mario universe crossover.
There's the WarioWare cast, so they could potentially be used. WarioWare and Wario Land are connected to each other after all
Screenshot_20190505-154333_Gallery.jpg

Dukefire

Smash Master
Speculation for character(s) showing up at E3 is starting to heat up. This could also mean for a huge salt wave to appear if those higher predicted ones doesn't appear and another one does.

Edit: What do you predict will appear?
My inner mind for choices:
Screenshot_20190505-162728_YouTube.jpg

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
No, I don't think Verge has **** on any DLC characters or content for Smash. I think him and a lot of insiders are just as much in the dark about who is in the Season Pass as we are.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Also, putting theories can place pressure on themselves.

Which could lead to.......
Screenshot_20190428-173042_YouTube.jpg

when its wrong and many people took his/her word for it.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Hey Y'all :)
Shantae did really good again in the big fighter's ballot. Results came in.

The overall total votes (of the ballot) were 22,619 :b:

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Hey Y'all :)
Shantae did really good again in the big fighter's ballot. Results came in.

The overall total votes were 22,619 :b:
I think this song title and beat fits Shantae and our resolve quite well, given how....vicious detractors can be towards us. TOP 5 BABYYYY

Last edited:

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
Shantae is 5th place because Shantae 5 is coming.

huzzah
(Deep sigh...) Really? Did you REALLY have to say that?
I think this song title and beat fits Shantae and our resolve quite well, given how....vicious detractors can be towards us. TOP 5 BABYYYY

I agree with those sentiments, but being a Transformers fan, I can’t help but think of another song along those lines...

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
For now, shantae is on the lower list of wanted characters for ones like Banjo & Kazooie, Erdrick, Sora, etc. Let see in the near future and for Shantae 5 (not official title) coming at E3.

Besides, we still have some remaining spot left after 2 and 3 show up.
Screenshot_20190417-221003_Video Player.jpg

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
I'm still wondering if any Backer characters will reoccur in Shantae 5. I try to ask WF in Twitter threads that they're replying to comments in, and they never answer.

I know they see the question...

Top Bottom