• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

RockOfMind

Smash Apprentice
It's funny cause both times my favorite starter for those Gens got put in. I knew from the second I saw the leaked images of the final starters I was gonna go with fire cat. I have four mains I like to use when not picking random like 90% of the time and the big cat is one of em. Don't really care much for Greninja's play style though. I'm more of a bulky heavy user type. But that's just me personally of course.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
It's funny cause both times my favorite starter for those Gens got put in. I knew from the second I saw the leaked images of the final starters I was gonna go with fire cat. I have four mains I like to use when not picking random like 90% of the time and the big cat is one of em. Don't really care much for Greninja's play style though. I'm more of a bulky heavy user type. But that's just me personally of course.
See for me, Incineroar was a huge upset because i was so ready to go with Litten. Even when they revealed the first evolutions I was still completely down for Torracat... But once they reveled the final forms... Bipedal, buff, those huge sausage fingers, and that square shaped flat face that lost any feline charm... Thank god they gave us a Mermaid or I would have been shelving my starter like I did in gen 3 (and would have done in gen 5 if it weren't for the fact that most the other pokemon from that gen were equally disappointing)

But then again I'm mostly just bitter as none of my favorite pokemon are featured in Smash. The closest are Squirtle who evolves into my favorite Water type and Mewtwo who i really like, but as a rule I never pick any legendary pokemon as my favorites.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
See for me, Incineroar was a huge upset because i was so ready to go with Litten. Even when they revealed the first evolutions I was still completely down for Torracat... But once they reveled the final forms... Bipedal, buff, those huge sausage fingers, and that square shaped flat face that lost any feline charm... Thank god they gave us a Mermaid or I would have been shelving my starter like I did in gen 3 (and would have done in gen 5 if it weren't for the fact that most the other pokemon from that gen were equally disappointing)

But then again I'm mostly just bitter as none of my favorite pokemon are featured in Smash. The closest are Squirtle who evolves into my favorite Water type and Mewtwo who i really like, but as a rule I never pick any legendary pokemon as my favorites.
I was pretty much the same. I think Decidueye would've been a lot better and funner, butI guess one good thing, kinda, for me is that Incineroar is pretty much the first heavy I can enjoy playing in smash. I dont know how much I'll use it, but it's not a total wash for me.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
What I'm inching to see in the next Shantae game is her mother.
She was mentioned at the end of both Pirate's Curse and Helf-Genie Hero, so WayForward probably has a very important role for her in the future because of how long she has been foreshadowed. I'm positive Shantae's mother is still alive.
Uh, there's never been any question of Shantae's mother being alive or not. It's outright spelled out at the end of Half-Genie Hero. The only question now is if they're actually planning on revealing her at some point... or torture us eternally by constantly dangling her juuuuussst out of reach.

About the whole Decidueye vs. Incineroar thing... having the former in one game and the latter in this one kind of speaks to how gen 7 is another one where there's no clear winner in popularity. Maybe it's technically Decidueye, but not by enough to risk mass alienation for picking someone other than him.

It's also worth mentioning two fighters in Pokken already cover the niche that Incineroar is currently doing in Smash: Pikachu Libre is all about wrestling and Machamp is a traditional grappler.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
So, the rumors about a nindies showcase might be cool. Not that I expect much from it but it's almost like tradition now to tune :)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Do you happen to have the source?
I didn't really pay much attention to it. Apparently from an insider called King Zell. (Resetera?)
I saw the date of the 24th, but i also saw 'sometime this week'. If someone knows more they could post about it. That's all I got :)

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, I never really though about it, but does Brave's stats match up with any indie characters? I doubt an indie would be Brave, but it would be neat to think about.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
You know, I never really though about it, but does Brave's stats match up with any indie characters? I doubt an indie would be Brave, but it would be neat to think about.
Well, Considering the weight right now, which is on the heavy side, I dont think it'd be Shantae :/
Shovel Knight could work, but he's already an assist XD

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Well, Considering the weight right now, which is on the heavy side, I dont think it'd be Shantae :/
Shovel Knight could work, but he's already an assist XD
>Why would a Smash reveal need to coincide with Brave's data? they could have the reveals all done and have their own order?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
>Why would a Smash reveal need to coincide with Brave's data? they could have the reveals all done and have their own order?
Uh, not sure what you mean. Brave would be the next dlc revealed. People haven't really looked into if it could possibly be an indie character, it's mostly been around Square Enix characters, which might not even be the brave character.
Though, if they dont reveal the next character there'll still be a patch for PPlant, and the data might change, so that's something a few people are looking forward to even if there wouldnt be anything new soon.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
No indie character would make sense assuming the data isnt leftover and not the true stats.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
No indie character would make sense assuming the data isnt leftover and not the true stats.
We can't know for sure, since even PPlant's speed stat changed drastically after the last update. Maybe there's an indie that could fit it, I just dont know who that could be, since only Shantae and Shovelknight were popular on the ballot. Oh wait there's Sans too, and I saw some people talk about how it could work with the data. But I doubt something like that would happen :p

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Here's all the Indies I can possibly think of with any amount of status.
Shantae
Shovel Knight
Sans
Hollow Knight
Gunvolt
Isaac
Celeste
Freddy Fazbear
Reimu
Steve on technicality
Commander Video

and...now lets size that down to who I think has any real chance at all.
Shantae
Reimu
Sans
maaybe Shovel Knight (AT rule is still basically fan rule)

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
We can't know for sure, since even PPlant's speed stat changed drastically after the last update. Maybe there's an indie that could fit it, I just dont know who that could be, since only Shantae and Shovelknight were popular on the ballot. Oh wait there's Sans too, and I saw some people talk about how it could work with the data. But I doubt something like that would happen :p
If it was Sans, he'd have a weight value of 1 and all of his moves would do 1 damage.

Dukefire

Smash Master
If it was Sans, he'd have a weight value of 1 and all of his moves would do 1 damage.
his attack speed would be fast since he does toy with the child with plenty of bones and psychic power. Downside is that he receives more damage then any other fighter due to his low durability and defense for protection. So, high risk high reward like speed blitz style, but with more at stake with knockback and damage.

I could stay his gimmick would be his stamina. How much is left depends on how fast his attacks go. the less the bar = slower the attacks and dodges become.

MagnoliaMidna

Smash Rookie
Even though she's a Spirit, I fully support her and always have. Hopefully she can somehow get in as DLC.
She's one of my most wanted fighters and obviously I know is for a lot of others too^^

D

Deleted member

Shantae
Shovel Knight
Sans
Hollow Knight
Gunvolt
Isaac
Celeste
Freddy Fazbear
Reimu
Steve on technicality
Commander Video

Shantae
Reimu
Sans
Reimu-a fan game isn’t gonna do anything
Sans-idk he looks like AT material to me

So shantae and quote are the only ones left

Good luck:b:

logicandreason

Smash Journeyman
Not surprised that it came down to decidueye and incen, those 2 are the ones that made me get sun to begin with.
as far as indie reps go, i think A hat in time might be able to get into the game, pro bally just spirits though. (though im hoping we get music as well, the battle for award 42 would be a great song to smash to)

On a side note, something to think about: what character do you think that if they got into smash as a fighter, would be almost gurented to also get an echo fighter. For example, if NiGHTS was announced as a fighter, i think reala would also be announced as it's echo

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Shantae
Shovel Knight
Sans
Hollow Knight
Gunvolt
Isaac
Celeste
Freddy Fazbear
Reimu
Steve on technicality
Commander Video

Shantae
Reimu
Sans
You left Frisk out of the equation. And don't come at me with the "but sans" routine. XD

3rd parties as have always had the actual star of their game or franchise come in as the fighter first before any supporting cast members.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
You left Frisk out of the equation. And don't come at me with the "but sans" routine. XD

3rd parties as have always had the actual star of their game or franchise come in as the fighter first before any supporting cast members.
Sans/Frisk/Undertale whatever.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Ehhhh, don't underestimate Smash's scaling. Have you seen some of those characters side by side? Also, if you think Reimu's too tall, Shantae would be out of the running along with her.
They picked the older megaman so he's shorter, but then some other characters are pretty tall. it all depends. I find it kind of useless to debate this stuff, but anyway Shantae can have different sizes, and she's much shorter than Reimu in most cases. Well, especially considering game sprites for her over art. (and reimu appearances outside of original touhou games, which are shooters, so kind of incompatible)

It doesn't really matter in this case cuz like I said they'd both be lighter than 'brave'. Stats could change too, but I'd count more on them for other slots :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

What do you guys think? Do you think this would be her fighter spirit?
There was a problem fetching the tweet
It’s a big sacrifice but it’s worth it.

Dukefire

Smash Master
or could be a HD remake of her first spirte appearence back in the GBC
220px-Shantae_Cover.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

or one for risky's revenge
shantae-riskys-revenge-cover.jpg

Edit: We have another Indie Direct coming tomorrow, but I highly doubt they would show a indie character coming into smash since it does run the risk of him or her outshining other titles. We already know HOW BIG IT IS for one character showing as a guest for Smash.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Seems kind of odd that they would use the one off version of her as the main fighter while using the regular version as a spirit.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
By the time of Season 2 DLC, I doubt it. They'll likely go with her artwork from the original game or Risky's Revenge for the iconic look.
Edit: We have another Indie Direct coming tomorrow, but I highly doubt they would show a indie character coming into smash since it does run the risk of him or her outshining other titles. We already know HOW BIG IT IS for one character showing as a guest for Smash.
Reminds me of the last Nindies when people thought Shantae would get announced for Smash at the end. Lord knows that "One more thing" bit at the end didn't help the tension. XD

Dukefire

Smash Master
By the time of Season 2 DLC, I doubt it. They'll likely go with her artwork from the original game or Risky's Revenge for the iconic look.
Reminds me of the last Nindies when people thought Shantae would get announced for Smash at the end. Lord knows that "One more thing" bit at the end didn't help the tension. XD
It was thanks to the march direct last year that got those three words rolling in hype. you know what I mean.

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace

Even still. I liked to see what games are coming out. I really want that chibi version of Journey badly.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

I hate the argument of something like a great announcement outshining the rest of the stuff. It can easily just make the whole event stand out more, and bring more attention to the entire thing.
It'd also maker her feel more like a rep for indies, which is cool.

So are we sure there's really a nindies, or is it just news based on the rumors?

Last edited:
Top Bottom