• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mario9919

Smash Apprentice
So yeah, if Spirits can't become characters ever, who would this western made character be?
I said this a few times but I'll say it again: Spirits don't deconfirm them being playable later on. May I bring up Smash 4's cases. Mewtwo and Lucas were just plain ol' trophies before being DLC for the game. And Inkling, K Rool and Ridely would later be playable for Ultimate.

The Spirits are basically the trophies for Ultimate and the same logic for DLC would apply there.

D

Deleted member

I found a legit leak y’all it got deleted but I managed to find out who the 5 dlc fighters are! Take a look......
C1A4B04D-2C58-4C2C-A326-90E2FACAA7FF.jpeg

Mango The Magician

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mango_Magician
I found a legit leak y’all it got deleted but I managed to find out who the 5 dlc fighters are! Take a look......
Not trying to disrespect Piranha Plant, but a Shyguy would've been cooler to me. There's so many varieties of Shyguys to choose from, and their base weapon that they usually use are spears which is a weapon that is highly underrepresented in Smash.

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice
View attachment 177175
INB4 they put Cheep Cheep in a fish bowl with wings so he can fight on the land stages.

Not trying to disrespect Piranha Plant, but a Shyguy would've been cooler to me. There's so many varieties of Shyguys to choose from, and their base weapon that they usually use are spears which is a weapon that is highly underrepresented in Smash.
If you wanna talk about under representation why not bring in the Boo's? They barely exist in Mario games outside of spooky houses and stealing money and the roster is currently lacking in the specter category. I can see Sakurai toying around with the ghost fighter concept and putting an interesting spin to it.

D

Deleted member

Matt or wayforward haven’t retweeted or talked about sakurai’s statement about Nintendo chosing the dlc

Except for James cuz he’s a die hard smash fanboy.

he sees smash he likes/retweets/talks smash

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
WayForward as a company can't afford to appear hung up all the time on Shantae appearing in Smash. It therefore might be awkward for them to set the precedent of responding to fans about Shantae being Smash DLC. Smash is so popular, and she is such a popular request for Smash, it would end up dominating their Twitter feeds. That's not a good look for them.

For that reason I think regardless of Shantae's fortunes, we'll probably see WayForward staff remain fairly restrained when it comes to responding to Smash stuff.

View attachment 177175
If we really get Goomba then I won't even be mad. I love those little guys.

D

Deleted member

WayForward as a company can't afford to appear hung up all the time on Shantae appearing in Smash. It therefore might be awkward for them to set the precedent of responding to fans about Shantae being Smash DLC. Smash is so popular, and she is such a popular request for Smash, it would end up dominating their Twitter feeds. That's not a good look for them.

For that reason I think regardless of Shantae's fortunes, we'll probably see WayForward staff remain fairly restrained when it comes to responding to Smash stuff.

If we really get Goomba then I won't even be mad. I love those little guys.
What do you mean?

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Wow a DLC leak that might include Shantae!!!

The only issue I have with the video is how the guy didn't know that Ninja Gaiden did start out as an NES/SNES games if I am not mistaken.
Did you watch the video? LaxCgris has already fooled me twice by including Shantae in the Thumbnail while the contents of the video had nothing about her in it whatsoever. Not falling for it again.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I said this a few times but I'll say it again: Spirits don't deconfirm them being playable later on. May I bring up Smash 4's cases. Mewtwo and Lucas were just plain ol' trophies before being DLC for the game. And Inkling, K Rool and Ridely would later be playable for Ultimate.

The Spirits are basically the trophies for Ultimate and the same logic for DLC would apply there.
You seem to have missed the context of my post.

Spirits not becoming playable is NOT the opinion I hold.
But rather, it was in response to one of the leak-believers here, who believed one leaker saying "Spirits won't become DLC-Characters".
And for argument's sake, I asked that if that were true, who would be even left for DLC?
Not to mention there was mention of one western made character for DLC.
Who would that be, if Spirits were deconfirmation?

Did you watch the video? LaxCgris has already fooled me twice by including Shantae in the Thumbnail while the contents of the video had nothing about her in it whatsoever. Not falling for it again.
Yeah.
That idiot is nothing more but a desperate attention-seeker.

I won't believe a leak, even if it has my favourite character in it.
Dubious "leak" is dubious.

RockOfMind

Smash Apprentice
I watched a few of LaxChris' videos. They led me to PapaGenos which was the only good thing to come out of that. A leaker would sneeze on a keyboard and LaxChris would cover it.

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
I watched a few of LaxChris' videos. They led me to PapaGenos which was the only good thing to come out of that. A leaker would sneeze on a keyboard and LaxChris would cover it.
BillyBo10k and Papagenos are the only good ones, as they at least show a bit of discretion and try to avoid the incredibly random and baseless leaks.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
BillyBo10k and Papagenos are the only good ones, as they at least show a bit of discretion and try to avoid the incredibly random and baseless leaks.
Can't say anything about the latter.
However, this Blliy-guy seems to be a jerk and was incredibly biased towards Issac.

Mario9919

Smash Apprentice
You seem to have missed the context of my post.

Spirits not becoming playable is NOT the opinion I hold.
But rather, it was in response to one of the leak-believers here, who believed one leaker saying "Spirits won't become DLC-Characters".
And for argument's sake, I asked that if that were true, who would be even left for DLC?
Not to mention there was mention of one western made character for DLC.
Who would that be, if Spirits were deconfirmation?
I really wasn't referring to you. I was talking about the people who say that.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
He does mention Shantae in the part of what possible Indie rep Sakurai would choose to show at a future possible Nindies Direct.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Aw c'mon. The plant has had that Ridley problem of never once having been playable before. Not once in almost three decades of Mario titles, unless you count their very limited capture in Odyssey. Let him have this.

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman

I respect that everyone keeps using the "well in smash 4 Mewtwo and Lucas argument", but let's change it up. Our argument should be that spirits represent different iterations of characters and Shantae would not be a 2D animation in smash. She would be smashified in smash bros, like how Shovel Knight transitioned to a 3D model. Basically what I'm saying is that they wouldn't use art from her old game to represent her in this one.
Also, DLC does not come before the finished product. You don't put Ketchup or Mayonnaise on your burger before it's done (God I hope you don't cook your mayo). Especially if Sakurai allowed Nintendo to pick there's no way he could predict who'd they want nor would he have given them a list of spirits and say "you can't choose any of these".

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I'd say I'm going to become much more inactive on this site in the coming future, because, this thread especially, stresses me out way too much. I really dislike trolls, and ignoring him would be of no use to me, since other people do still choose to interact with him. It frustrates me, knowing I can do nothing to stop him, or even change him into a better person, and it seems nobody else is able to either...

If you ever want to talk, I'll check my PMs whenever I can. But for now, sayonara.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
I'd say I'm going to become much more inactive on this site in the coming future, because, this thread especially, stresses me out way too much.
Same here haha! Speculation this time around in general has been a bit cumbersome and tiring to me for whatever reason, and at this point I honestly don’t even care about who is going to be DLC (especially as it appears to be decided already). All I need right now is to wait a few more weeks and get the game in my hands and I’ll be a happy man, and just take what I’m given as DLC in the following year(s).

That said, of course I still wish to see my favourite characters in the game (such as Shantae), but I likely won’t be invested in them too much. I feel like a lot of people put quite a lot of stock in a playable appearance in Smash - surely it’s the best outcome, but in the case of Shantae, even her appearing as a spirit gives me high hopes for the future of her games, which to me is the most important thing. I honestly just want to get more Shantae games and show support through playing them, which in turn can convert into good things in the future. I feel like Shantae’s popularity is at an all time high at the moment, and she can only grow from here, in or outside of Smash. And I’m glad about that.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Can't say anything about the latter.
However, this Blliy-guy seems to be a jerk and was incredibly biased towards Issac.
I haven't seen him being a jerk, but he is incredibly biased towards Isaac indeed. Part of me feels bad for him because of how hurt he was when Isaac was revealed as an AT. The rest of me is happy that Isaac got mentioned again at all considering how dead his series is. Not to mention that Isaac's AT is a lot more versatile than in Brawl.

D

Deleted member

Would you really watch LaxChris videos with a shantae thumbnail when there is no shantae and he voted that she’ll never make it in as a fighter in the threads polls?

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
And, for argument's sake, if this is true, who are even candidates for DLC at this point?
Plenty of third parties including Phoenix Wright, Sephiroth, NiGHTS and company. Anyone who isn't a spirit essentially. Let's not forget, base forms and alternate forms are mutually exclusive from each other, Nintendo characters who aren't spirits, etc.

Not that I'm believing Hitagi with how much he's flip flopped lately, but let's not pretend there aren't still keen candidates outside the spirits now. :U

Last edited:

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
I'm glad Nintendo is the one who chose the DLC characters this time, it means they'll probably add fan favorites and unique characters to make the game sell a lot more and to reinforce their relationship with certain third party companies (*cough* Ubi and Bethesda *cough*)

Last edited:

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
I'm glad Nintendo is the one who chose the DLC characters this time, it means they'll probably add fan favorites and unique characters to make the game sell a lot more and to reinforce their relationship with certain third party companies (*cough* Ubi and Bethesda *cough*)
Yeah Nintendo picking the DLC instead of Sakurai isn't as bad as I hear everyone else say it is. They have supported indies a lot giving them their own Directs and did put Shantae on the indie store page as the face of the genre after all so they know what's up. I say her chances got even higher now.

Last edited:

NukeA6

Smash Master
View attachment 177175
Your overdramatics are always so entertaining. Honestly, the worst you're gonna get is Steve and you'll probably have him as your main since you're already fond of the piranha plant.

D

Deleted member

Your overdramatics are always so entertaining. Honestly, the worst you're gonna get is Steve and you'll probably have him as your main since you're already fond of the piranha plant.
Leave

Plus I’m not listening to a word what whatshisname is talking about

Last edited by a moderator:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I think the idea is that WF hasn't really commented on Shantae as DLC since her reveal as a Spirit.
Error, they went on record to tell fans to support and campaign for Shantae as part of the dlc. Shortly after the direct and not too long before Sakurai confirmed beyond a shadow of a doubt that DLC for this season is already chosen.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Error, they went on record to tell fans to support and campaign for Shantae as part of the dlc. Shortly after the direct and not too long before Sakurai confirmed beyond a shadow of a doubt that DLC for this season is already chosen.
Error. That was Matt Bozon. NOT WayForward.

Top Bottom