• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Well I’m glad I slept through most of that excursion. I don’t really have an opinion on the leakers matter. I won’t get upset if she doesn’t make the cut as a fighter, but I’ll still be supporting our girl regardless.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Ya know, it really bugs me when people refer to Senjougahara_Hitagi as "he." I don't know the identity of the leaker, but that name is this character:
zAgBQEi.jpg
Google "Senjougahara Hitagi" and that's who you'll get. I guarantee that's where the leaker got the name from.

EDIT: She is that person's avatar on Reddit, so yeah it's definitely referring to this character.
Another EDIT: She'd make a good Shantae cosplayer. She already has the hair. And she doesn't mind baring skin.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Something to point out while riding the Smash Train.
King Dedede's Crouch Animation is now changed to this:
gplus6945974051391266860.png

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Something to point out while riding the Smash Train.
King Dedede's Crouch Animation is now changed to this:View attachment 177083
That’s the same stance as in the last game unless you’re talking about the eyes. Are they in the middle of a blinking animation or are they just half closed like that now?

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Spirits deconfirming potential DLC characters would be weird. There's like no characters left if you do that, as there's spirits for basically every major first party Nintendo game, and not just old ones, but recent games like BOTW, which means characters like Twintelle, Urbosa, Dixie, and so on are out...which leaves what exactly?

Granted I could see the argument made that spirits are made specifically for characters that Sakurai thinks wont make it into Smash which would paint a grim picture for Shantae's chances, but again that doesn't leave much, and I have a even harder time trying to figure out just who they'd pick for DLC reps.

Also can we stop attacking each other. Even if you don't like a member or what they said, just ignore them, ok?
While it may be true that some spirits have no potential for being playable or even an assist whatsoever, I'm pretty sure Sakurai primarily includes spirits just to guarantee that a character is represented in some way, even if they can't be made playable down the line for whatever reason. Remember his "treat every game like it's your last" mentality and how he tries to make his games seem as complete as possible, even without DLC. So you can see how it's no small feat for a character like Shantae to even get a role like this early on.

Either way, the game is gonna be amazing and I am satisfied with how it is now.
My life doesn't depend on Shantae making it in.

In fact, her being a Spirit I consider a victory already.
She's part of the Smashverse and she will get more exposure.
So in regards of increasing her popularity and fanbase, I'd say we won already.

I just wonder why people have to be so predatory about Smash all the time.
So eager to tear each other apart over every single thing.
More than that. She was used to promote the biggest mode of the game, just like how she headlined Nindies many times in the past. It's telling how, other than the opening cinematic, her spirit was highlighted longer than the others and was the most noteworthy point for viewers. If this isn't enough for people to consider her an honorary member of the Nintendo family I don't know what will.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Um. What's going on, Why is there tons of **** around? ;p

Havent people learned not to trust leaks and stuff by now? It's pretty sad.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Good afternoon peeps.

Don't believe leaks, but you can still keep them in mind.

No fighting plz. Discussion of disagreements is fine, but try to keep things civil.

@Connorb0t2 It's okay. Calm down. Take a breather. Keep doing you, just please try to be calmer about things and not get too carried away with leaks. Leakers get some things wrong, some things right, and in the end we can never really know for sure, so there's no sense stressing yourself out over them.

I usually defend you (and I personally have no problem with your posts), but I would recommend you not post every time a leak comes up if you know they upset you. That's why these arguments start and they do no one any good.

In regards to memes/images, I would like to ask you to use spoiler tags from now on if you're going to be posting large images.

That last bit goes for everyone if you all don't mind. Just keeps pages from having giant walls of images.

'Kay, done being the thread's mom.

Carry on.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
While it may be true that some spirits have no potential for being playable or even an assist whatsoever, I'm pretty sure Sakurai primarily includes spirits just to guarantee that a character is represented in some way, even if they can't be made playable down the line for whatever reason. Remember his "treat every game like it's your last" mentality and how he tries to make his games seem as complete as possible, even without DLC. So you can see how it's no small feat for a character like Shantae to even get a role like this early on.

More than that. She was used to promote the biggest mode of the game, just like how she headlined Nindies many times in the past. It's telling how, other than the opening cinematic, her spirit was highlighted longer than the others and was the most noteworthy point for viewers. If this isn't enough for people to consider her an honorary member of the Nintendo family I don't know what will.
That's a good point actually.

Also, I really wish some fans would stop seeing Shantae being "just" a Spirit as a betrayal on WayForward's part.
They did nothing wrong.
Heck, for them it's a victory. Think about it...
Shantae is now officially part of the Smashverse and she was even shown in the World of Light trailer.
That alone should be able to increase her popularity and fanbase.
Which is definitely a victory in the grand scheme of things, rather than just getting personal satisfaction of being able to play with her.

Yes, those hints and teases were there.
But in the end, it was our decision to interpret them as such.
So if you really got worked up over Shantae not being playable because you chose to interpret those things as hints for her being playable, you've only got yourself to blame.

WayForward didn't do anything wrong.
Their girl got a role in the game and they took it, seeing the value in it, rather than being greedy and wanting her playable at all costs, like the fans.

And I think this is a major problem with most Smash Fans in general.
They're too greedy about the characters they want. Only accepting playable status as the only true way of representation, seeing anything less as an insult.
They completely fail to see the value of Assist Trophies and Spirits.
Things that still have a lot of value and are worth appreciating.

Yes, I see the value in playable characters.
However, stop seeing anything less as an insult.
Sakurai doesn't see it that way and WayForward doesn't either.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
While I already thought Shantae didnt have high chances for the first wave of dlc, I think it's silly for people to do this back and forth ****. That includes believing leaks, which, for ****s sake, is annoying to see after all the **** people went through believing leaks. Some people's claim can carry a little more weight, but the truth is always beyond regardless.

I like that Shantae is in the game as a spirit, but I'm not going to be all like 'oh I should be grateful she's even in' or whatever, when I wanted her to be playable. It's not like it's going to stop me from enjoying the game either. I can want what I want. I can be dissatisfied. I can appreciate what's available, and it doesnt mean things couldn't have been better, including on the part of some companies (WF included). It's better to encourage things to get better, and that doesn't mean bashing things or people just because they didn't do as well as they could have. Everyone is imperfect, and deserve to be allowed mistakes. But we can strive for better too.

And we should always try to enjoy ourselves, regardless ;)

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
While I already thought Shantae didnt have high chances for the first wave of dlc, I think it's silly for people to do this back and forth ****. That includes believing leaks, which, for ****s sake, is annoying to see after all the **** people went through believing leaks. Some people's claim can carry a little more weight, but the truth is always beyond regardless.

I like that Shantae is in the game as a spirit, but I'm not going to be all like 'oh I should be grateful she's even in' or whatever, when I wanted her to be playable. It's not like it's going to stop me from enjoying the game either. I can want what I want. I can be dissatisfied. I can appreciate what's available, and it doesnt mean things couldn't have been better, including on the part of some companies (WF included). It's better to encourage things to get better, and that doesn't mean bashing things or people just because they didn't do as well as they could have. Everyone is imperfect, and deserve to be allowed mistakes. But we can strive for better too.

And we should always try to enjoy ourselves, regardless ;)
Sigh, I am not even trying anymore.

If you think WayForward did you dirty, that's your own problem.
Not theirs.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Sigh, I am not even trying anymore.

If you think WayForward did you dirty, that's your own problem.
Not theirs.
It's this ****ing **** I keep seeing you think like, and it bothers me. It's like you think when people do things incorrectly (or could have been done better, to put it in a better way) that it's an offense to those who care.
WF could have done things better. I dont take it personally. Now please try to stop believing things about people that arent true., cuz it's annoying.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
It's this ****ing **** I keep seeing you think like, and it bothers me. It's like you think when people do things incorrectly that it's an offense to those who care.
WF could have done things better. I dont take it personally. Now please try to stop believing things about people that arent true., cuz it's annoying.
Well you've been going on before on how angry you were at WayForward, for "doing things wrong".
Like what on Earth were they supposed to do?!

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well you've been going on before on how angry you were at WayForward, for "doing things wrong".
Like what on Earth were they supposed to do?!
Ive talked about it. I'm over it now, and that doesn't mean they couldnt have done better.. They could have communicated better.
You dont need to defend them just because you dont want people to judge them or whatever. I dont hold it against them, I just encourage things to be better.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Better how?
They couldn't speak about Shantae's status in the game at the time.
Because NDA.
I'm not answering you on that because I've been asked that question 4 or 5 times (well, at least 3) and I explained it each time. So let it go and let me have my opinion, if you dont want to understand.
(not that I expect you to know or look through the posts i made if you didnt see them, but i just dont feel like re-explaining anyway)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I’m still getting the feeling whatshisname is piggybacking off of verge and hasn’t leaked anything smash stuff before

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
This is very sad. I hate seeing people still getting guilt tripped, into defending Connorb0t's sometimes very, "Anti-Shantae" posts, just because of his childlike mannerisms, and constant use of emoticons such as ":(/:c/:urg:/:crying:/:cry:".
No one is being guilt tripped. If anything most have reached the end of their ropes in terms of patience, but antagonizing each other isn't going to help either.

I agree that he needs to calm down and think more before he posts, but I also disagree with those that seek to outright drive him away. Especially when others here have their own bouts of poor behavior too. He needs to improve, perhaps take a break from Smashboards for a while, but unless he actually does something ban worthy, he's allowed to post.

For those that don't want to see his posts anymore, there is an ignore function available.

If he doesn't want half the thread to put him on their ignore lists, then it's up to him, and for now that's all there is to it.

And with that out of the way, I think we're in need of a topic change.

---------------

Not Shantae focused, but do you guys think DLC costumes with be a thing? I'm actually kind of leaning towards no given the way costumes have been handled in Smash thus far. A shame given there's so much to pull from, but aside from the colors usually being really neat references, costumes have never really been expanded on very much. Understandable I suppose given the sheer amount of content they have to make already, but if there was any miscellaneous content I was hoping we'd gotten more of it was costumes.

zferolie

Smash Hero

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I started playing Brawlhalla recently, and wouldn't you know it, one of my favourites is a half-valkyrie with a human father noted for being a fierce warrior and mother valkyrie. Interestingly, in contrast to Shantae, Brynn has been more in touch with her valkyrie side than her human, and this winds making her far more interested in those instead

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Normal is just another name for not fun!
It seems I worded that poorly, and I apologise for that.

I'm just starting to worry about this thread, because every time "you know exactly who I'm referring to" starts to post, he always seems to lead this thread in a pretty dark direction...
Hey Dyllybirdy Dyllybirdy so I came across this searching up fanart, and I was wondering, how accurate would this be if you were in this position?

View attachment 177132
Um, yeah, that's actually pretty inaccurate, I'd say. :p

I wouldn't be at all be scared, I create mental images of her in my head all the time, so I kind of feel accustomed to being in her presence already. ;)
But, there still is the possibility that I would faint, not for the reasons that person in the drawing did, but because of Rotty's magnificence, beauty, elegance... I just some times can't handle all of it.

Last edited:

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
I generally avoid commenting on thread politics, but (perhaps ill-advisedly) I'll make an exception in this case.

You are here reading this thread and posting in this thread for fun. Due to the nature of the thread, you have a lot of freedom to post about whatever you want. You are in total control over which conversations you have on here, and which conversations you don't have.

If you see someone say something that stimulates you to respond to it, either to offer reasoned disagreement, or to voice your appreciation, or to add onto it, or whatever, then respond to it. Respond to it out of sheer enjoyment of the discussion.

There is no good reason to respond to a post that you don't enjoy responding to. If responding to a post or some person in particular is going to bring you down, then don't. In the extremely unlikely event that they call you out for not responding, then report them for harassment.

If someone quotes you to disagree with you, and you don't quote them back, they didn't "win" and you didn't "lose". Nobody here will interpret them as having "won". It doesn't make anybody right or wrong. There are some disagreements that simply won't be settled by continued argument. If you aren't enjoying an argument, don't continue it.

In fact, if you aren't enjoying a post, you're not even obligated to keep reading it. Just skip to the next one. If there is some user in particular whose posts you never like, don't waste your time calling them out over it. For so many reasons, please don't bother. Just stop reading their posts.

In the extreme case that their very presence in this thread is that much of an eyesore to you, then use the block button. That's what it's there for. Don't announce that you are considering it or that you are doing it, just quietly hit that block button and enjoy your newfound peace of mind. Hell, use it on me if you don't like my posts. I won't be offended. I'll just be glad you made the choice that's healthiest for you. (If everyone blocks me though at least one of y'all is obligated to let me know so I don't spend all my time shouting into an empty void lol.)

There are many components to civility. Learning to check your emotions, learning to extend empathy and love to people who annoy you, learning to seek value and wisdom in ideas and opinions you object to, and more. But sometimes being civil simply means learning when to let things go.

This is a great thread and everyone here is a good person. Let's all do our best to live up to the best in ourselves, okay?

/soapbox

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Yeah, Geno is kinda out of character in that comic. He is not that dreary in SMRPG, if anything, he is quite hopeful.
From what I understand people see him as being an edgelord compared to everything else in the Mushroom Kingdom, so it's not at all surprising to see others run with that. Maybe it'd make more sense if he was mourning for Isaac or something.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
From what I understand people see him as being an edgelord compared to everything else in the Mushroom Kingdom, so it's not at all surprising to see others run with that.
I mean, he is a bit serious(He is a spirit on a mission after all), but he certainly is not an edgelord, even when you do compare him to everyone else. I guess the perception is just a result of a perspective from the outside.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Wow a DLC leak that might include Shantae!!!

The only issue I have with the video is how the guy didn't know that Ninja Gaiden did start out as an NES/SNES games if I am not mistaken.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Wow a DLC leak that might include Shantae!!!

The only issue I have with the video is how the guy didn't know that Ninja Gaiden did start out as an NES/SNES games if I am not mistaken.
Sorry, I'm not watching a video from that schmoe

Top Bottom