• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
All this is reminding me of how Rayman was nonchalantly revealed as a trophy in 4. Sure, nothing more came of it in the end (except a fake leak from Omni), but it still caused a low-key freakout. And we're still getting "trophies" from Ubisoft, as we've seen a Rabbid Peach spirit (hopefully she got a good selfie with Galeem before being blasted). Hmmmm...

Shantae: ...you don't have enough thrust in your hips!
Hips? Clearly the more pressing matter is her hair, it's way too short! How is she supposed to whip anything with that?

I just imagined how awkward it might be for those two to meet now.
Considering these are all fake "puppet fighters", I don't think there's any real awkwardness here. But I suppose it's more fun to pretend that it is. Clearly Galeem intended for Shantae to be a parasite in Samus's body, but somehow they've formed a symbiotic relationship instead :laugh:.

Really, on a meta level, it's just incredibly heartwarming and funny to see Shantae, whose series takes so much inspiration from Metroid (just today I realized the whole "using conveyor belts to build speed boost" that is present in Pirate's Curse comes almost directly from Super Metroid), suddenly in the shoes of that game's protagonist, Samus, and causing HER to take some inspiration from Shantae in turn. It's a full circle.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Once the game comes out, I do think at least the possesion aspect will get big, and i assume Shantae as Samus will be at the forefront of that Similar to Bowsette and the Royal Crown, except Canon.
I guess that makes sense.
Considering these are all fake "puppet fighters", I don't think there's any real awkwardness here. But I suppose it's more fun to pretend that it is. Clearly Galeem intended for Shantae to be a parasite in Samus's body, but somehow they've formed a symbiotic relationship instead :laugh:.
I still think there would be some awkwardness, even if it is a copy. I personally would not feel comfortable with someone inhabiting a copy of my body, that's for sure.

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
i looked at some stuff on KYM. Samtae/Shamus stuff is bit popular.

Also found this:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I still think there would be some awkwardness, even if it is a copy. I personally would not feel comfortable with someone inhabiting a copy of my body, that's for sure.
After her experiences with Dark Samus (and maybe the SA-X), I'm sure seeing a friendly half-genie occupying a copy is downright therapeutic in comparison.

Last edited:

Mario9919

Smash Apprentice
I’d like to point out that the World of Light trailer on YouTube currently has over 4 million views, this is as far as I know the most views a video (official or otherwise) featuring Shantae has gotten, and it’s only going to keep rising. I think her popularity could skyrocket because of this.
And could help her chances for being DLC. Why else would they show off that part? Sakurai is unpredictable remember that.

Wonder if the dlc characters will get the cgi treatment for reveal trailers. probably not, but it would be nice
I hope so. Though Piranha Plant doesn't have one I would like for the 5 DLC characters to get their own CG trailers.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
After her experiences with Dark Samus (and maybe the SA-X), I'm sure seeing a friendly half-genie occupying a copy is downright therapeutic in comparison.
I guess, but it might be off putting for an entirely diffrent reason. I just find the idea of Samus being offput by seeing a version of herself be so happy and prone to dancing very funny.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I’d like to point out that the World of Light trailer on YouTube currently has over 4 million views, this is as far as I know the most views a video (official or otherwise) featuring Shantae has gotten, and it’s only going to keep rising. I think her popularity could skyrocket because of this.
Wait, so are you trying to say, that this has overtaken SayMaxWell's Rottytops Theme Remix, as the most watched Shantae video...

Noooooooooooo!

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
I will be going out for tonight.

I'll be leaving this artwork here.

Artist: Kampy

DrJoE8vXQAAsjDh.jpeg

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Wait, so are you trying to say, that this has overtaken SayMaxWell's Rottytops Theme Remix, as the most watched Shantae video...

Noooooooooooo!
I mean if it helps it’s still most watched Shantae video that’s directly related to her AND it’s still the most watched video of Rotty

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I find it amazing that this thread is still alive and going. Why’s that?

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice
There's an old colloquialism that goes" It ain't over until the fat lady sings".It means that one should not presume to know the outcome of an event which is still in progress. It's safe to assume that many here have adopted that mentality because we don't have any reason to give up. Until Sakurai tells us "No, Shantae can't be in Smash because x" we will fight for her inclusion as long as it takes.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Until the 5 DLC spots are filled and/or Wayforward with Nintendo confirms she can't go any further then just a spirit, her chances are still there to the end

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Anyone seen this already?
https://twitter.com/Stealth___/status/1059254426022617088

If that is true, then everyones "favourite" leaker no longer is a threat. : 3
This whole thing is kind of dumb.
  1. Vergeben never said a Granblue character was coming. Another leaker he trusts did. His own sources did not. Same with Steve. Vergeben only said Minecraft content would come.
  2. Sakurai's comment was tongue-in-cheek. It's not a qualifier or 98% of the roster would be gone and we'd only have Mario, Bowser, and Piranha Plant...if even them, because it's hard to say if truly "everyone" knows them.
  3. Stealth says, "He got some things right because some insiders told him and he could not keep his mouth shut. Since then, nobody has told him jack and for good reason." This doesn't make much sense to me. Why would he have even gotten so much info if his sources stopped telling him after he leaked it? His sources gave him info expecting him to release it.

Mario9919

Smash Apprentice
Because we have hope .Also WayForward is still being silent aside from Matt make that one tweet. He might be hyping us to something bigger that a Spirit. As in a DLC fighter.

Last edited:

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
A bit of an odd question, but recently I finished grabbing all the DLC for Payday 2, and im curious if there are any Shantae-related mods for it?

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
Until the 5 DLC spots are filled and/or Wayforward with Nintendo confirms she can't go any further then just a spirit, her chances are still there to the end
Oh good I just checked in to see if we were still in the clear!

BIG ANNOUNCEMENT! If you want Shantae DLC you should read this!
It has come to my attention, that it may be a good idea for us to all play spirits mode, and fully upgrade Shantae. Nintendo is watching statistics, and if we can show them how loved she is it may very well increase her chances of being considered for DLC.

Attachments

Sysreq

Smash Ace

It has come to my attention, that it may be a good idea for us to all play spirits mode, and fully upgrade Shantae. Nintendo is watching statistics, and if we can show them how loved she is it may very well increase her chances of being considered for DLC.
Eh? That seems a little weird to me, personally. Can they tell which ones we've upgraded? Also, the game is done now, so I imagine they're already working on the DLC. My opinion is that viral popularity of Shantae would be the best thing, such as using things like Samus Shantae.

RockOfMind

Smash Apprentice

From what I saw they're watching gameplay footage for ideas for game balance updates. I forget where they're doing this, but it was said during the last direct.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Yes I believe that's the one. I don't think they brought anything else like watching what else you do in the game. That would be kinda creepy.
Yeah, it would be a little strange. Not to mention paying attention to which spirits you upgrade also depends on what your playstyle is and I'm sure you'd also want to upgrade Ace and Legendary ones over the common ones.

I still think the best way to help Shantae to DLC is through viral social media. Though, obviously Sakurai knows Shantae is popular or he wouldn't have made her a spirit.

RockOfMind

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, it would be a little strange. Not to mention paying attention to which spirits you upgrade also depends on what your playstyle is and I'm sure you'd also want to upgrade Ace and Legendary ones over the common ones.

I still think the best way to help Shantae to DLC is through viral social media. Though, obviously Sakurai knows Shantae is popular or he wouldn't have made her a spirit.
Yeah exactly. People's voices need to be heard, as well as awareness so it can reach out to more people. Shantae's popular enough, but that's just our best bet.

LunarLiv

Smash Apprentice
Because we love our girl, we'd rather support her no matter what happens. There's always a chance, and even if that chance doesn't come to pass, it's still fun! A lot of us here don't really abandon ship at the first sign of trouble, so we're not gonna abandon it now that almost everyone is in the same boat :D

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
This thread will exist as long as the fans keep the hope for Shantae to be playable in her original form(basically not fight through Samus and our "imagination"). What I can't get is why are their leaks for a character that NEVER appeared on a Nintendo console as a DLC for Ultimate?

Are we getting Grand Blue Fantasy or something?

Anyway let's keep up the hype for Shantae as DLC.

#ShantaeForSmashDLC

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Just got up. What is the first thing I do when I get on the computer?

...See if there is any new art.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I guess, but it might be off putting for an entirely diffrent reason. I just find the idea of Samus being offput by seeing a version of herself be so happy and prone to dancing very funny.
Samus is very understanding. Even in Metroid Prime 2, where she's put on the edge by constant assaults by the Ing and an unfortunate encounter with Dark Samus, to the point of pointing a gun at U-Mos, she still listens to what he has to say.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Samus is very understanding. Even in Metroid Prime 2, where she's put on the edge by constant assaults by the Ing and an unfortunate encounter with Dark Samus, to the point of pointing a gun at U-Mos, she still listens to what he has to say.
I don't mean all of that in a "things would get violent sort of way." Just kinda awkward. But I see your point. It certainly would be a conversation starter between the two though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom