• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
That may be the case but let's remember that it's square that decides which of their characters gets into Smash. And since it's DLC I feel they'll be more willing to promote a Dragon Quest character for their continuing series rather than a doll from 20 year old game with no sequels.

You're walking on thin ice there bud. But don't worry I'll let it slide.

this time.
By this point, there’s no way Square Enix should be unaware that Geno is heavily requested and so many people are willing to see him in the game. They are sitting on a gold mine and would be fools not to take the opportunity this time around, then again it is Square Enix so who knows?

Also I had to, but yeah I’d prefer to not have the history of Friday night repeat itself.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I've never believed Vergeben and likely never will given the current track record, 50/50 is too unreliable for me to take seriously.

Also granblue....really what even the *** is that, It some mobile phone series from Japan, that has no relation to Nintendo, debuted in 2014, from what I've seen isnt some megahit that would warrant getting in Smash, is third party, and even taking a look at Katalina herself from it, doesnt seem to have anythin that would make her super gimmicky or exceptionally fun to use, Like Piranha PLant is just wacky in its moveset to show why it got in.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
That may be the case but let's remember that it's square that decides which of their characters gets into Smash. And since it's DLC I feel they'll be more willing to promote a Dragon Quest character for their continuing series rather than a doll from 20 year old game with no sequels.
Actually, not the case. From interviews, it was all Sakurai when it came to choosing the FF character, and in fact, Square was shocked that Sakurai picked Cloud, thinking he would pick a more modern character. It seems to be huge misconception that its the company that decides the character, but it appears to be all Sakurai.

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
i wish people didn't read into vergeben as much as they did. i understand his credibility has seen a boost after he beat the grinch leak, but he has missed things and gotten things incorrect in the past and he never really is sure on anything. hell, he never really confirmed the granblue rep, just passingly mentioned that the possibility came up in some talks he had with another leaker. the only thing he's sure on is the square enix rep. i highly doubt both minecraft steve would appear as a fighter, especially alongside another microsoft rep such as banjo & kazooie. spirits deconfirming characters is just headcanon and sakurai has said nothing that even implies toward the matter. same can be said for assist trophies chrom is a mii outfit, final smash, and fighter literally all at the same time. rathalos is a stage danger and an assist trophy, at the same time. meta ridley is a spirit and an outfit for ridley, at the same time. and best of all, wii fit trainer is a spirit and a fighter, all at the same time.

i would've thought the introduction of piranha plant would have taught people by now that actually trying to predict what sakurai will and won't do is a lost, especially when it's been shown a character can occupy different statuses at one time.

also i dont feel that passive talks of new characters from semi-credible leakers alone do anything to confirm that sakurai has already chosen DLC, so Matt not being on NDA isn't really that worrying.

and theoretically, a scenario that i'm alarmed no one really considers is that maybe sakurai has planned the full dlc roster (even though i doubt it) and shantae is on there, but they simply haven't gone in talks with wayforward about it, or are gauging her popularity.
An important thing to note regarding this tweet is that this wii fit trainer spirit is not a main, but a support one; which means it cannot be visibly equipped to a character. The only seemingly regular playable character we've seen equipped so far is Peach here :
peach spirit.PNG

And we have yet to check wether it's really a regular Peach or not.

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Also granblue....really what even the *** is that, It some mobile phone series from Japan, that has no relation to Nintendo, debuted in 2014, from what I've seen isnt some megahit that would warrant getting in Smash, is third party, and even taking a look at Katalina herself from it, doesnt seem to have anythin that would make her super gimmicky or exceptionally fun to use, Like Piranha PLant is just wacky in its moveset to show why it got in.
I mean, it has some relation to Nintendo, in the fact that Nintendo have a share in the company that made it. That company were also the people behind most of Dragalia Lost...

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
We've been saying the same things about Metroid and yet...
At least Metroid didn’t lose its only unique stage like dk, and it also has more assists and reps, and songs that aren’t just first level remixed 9 times. Just shut up and stop complaining about lack of Metroid when it clearly has more than dk. Also, now would be a great time to say, the music theory ended up being right. Pokemon got an ALOLAN track just around their ALOLAN newcomer. Just thought I’d mention it.

Last edited:

hassoutobi

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5344-2558-0842
Switch FC
SW 7858-1447-7386
An important thing to note regarding this tweet is that this wii fit trainer spirit is not a main, but a support one; which means it cannot be visibly equipped to a character. The only seemingly regular playable character we've seen equipped so far is Peach here :
View attachment 175706
And we have yet to check wether it's really a regular Peach or not.
but she has a star tier like the selectable ones do.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I think LaBeteNoire LaBeteNoire , would like this post quite a lot. :)
You aren't wrong. Still on a break from the thread, but i had an idea I thought you guys would like.

What if instead of a ballot there is an online tournament for DLC characters? (provided they aren't already planned) By which I mean competitors would equip the spirit of the character they want to be a fighter and overall wins get tallied.

Although I don't like it much as i don't think I'm very good competitively, I could see Nintendo doing it because then if people wanted to support their character they would need to sign up for the online service.

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
but she has a star tier like the selectable ones do.
But she is still a support spirit which you can only use as a support one, it will discreetly enhance the main visible spirit you've chosen.

EDIT : oh sh*t I just found out that Jody Summer is just a support spirit too :-(

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You aren't wrong. Still on a break from the thread, but i had an idea I thought you guys would like.

What if instead of a ballot there is an online tournament for DLC characters? (provided they aren't already planned) By which I mean competitors would equip the spirit of the character they want to be a fighter and overall wins get tallied.

Although I don't like it much as i don't think I'm very good competitively, I could see Nintendo doing it because then if people wanted to support their character they would need to sign up for the online service.
I don't know, I think Splatooning it like that could end with some controversy. i will say though, I do like the idea of a more structured ballot.

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice
Actually, not the case. From interviews, it was all Sakurai when it came to choosing the FF character, and in fact, Square was shocked that Sakurai picked Cloud, thinking he would pick a more modern character. It seems to be huge misconception that its the company that decides the character, but it appears to be all Sakurai.
Sakurai definitely has weight when it comes to character negotiations, but if Square says no there's nothing Sakurai can do.

Of course i'm not saying Square will do that since they have a lot to gain from more representation in Smash but they'll stand to gain less profit from Geno being a playable character(even if he's more popular among fans) rather then a character from their modern IP's

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
There might be a difference between using just a stock image, or an entire animated model...
Sakurai was allowed to make a Geno Mii costume back in Smash 4, so I don't see the legal difference between using the rights for a character to make a Mii costume out of them or make them a playable character. I would think it would be the same legally.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
If a tournament happened, just saying preemptively: prepare for goku to win
But what I'm saying is that to vote for your character, you would have to equip their spirit to your fighter. So that means you can't vote for anyone who isn't already in the game as a spirit

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Sakurai definitely has weight when it comes to character negotiations, but if Square says no there's nothing Sakurai can do.

Of course i'm not saying Square will do that since they have a lot to gain from more representation in Smash but they'll stand to gain less profit from Geno being a playable character(even if he's more popular among fans) rather then a character from their modern IP's
Maybe now, but it would give them the potential for good profit. Square does have a team speciifically made for Switch exclusive game like Octopath, so reviving there old Nintendo exclusive IP could give them a great advantage. Also, from what I understand when it comes to DQ, the don't even have it as a first party, kinda like how Pokemon is technically not a full on Nintendo series. That would make them a middleman if they were to bank on a DQ character, and it does not help that the actual owners of the property can make things quite costly for all parties involved. Same goes for the likes of Sora. Ironically, the brain child of both Square and Nintendo is the character that Square has the most creative and legal control over compared to the many other popular picks that they are associated with.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
But what I'm saying is that to vote for your character, you would have to equip their spirit to your fighter. So that means you can't vote for anyone who isn't already in the game as a spirit
I always wanted Shine Sprite as a fighter!
A7F33EC8-B4F8-460F-A960-D272036CF135.png

But yeah considering how many spirits there are, it might be best if there was a preset selection or something

Ok, prepare for Paper Mario to be in smash.
It wouldn’t be the worst thing considering how potentially different Paper Mario is, like hammer attacks, badges, items, partners, stickers, etc.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
It wouldn’t be the worst thing considering how potentially different Paper Mario is, like hammer attacks, badges, items, partners, stickers, etc.
Yeah, until you realize Shantae, Banjo, Crash, Dixie Kong, Geno, and a couple dozen others exist and would lose a spot because of him.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Why would that be the case? He isn't really that popular a pick...
Source Gaming had a collective data chart of the characters that had the most votes on Smash polls that they gathered from a lot of different websites from all around the world during when the Smash Ballot was going on and Paper Mario believe or not, was higher on the chart then Geno.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Source Gaming had a collective data chart of the characters that had the most votes on Smash polls that they gathered from a lot of different websites from all around the world during when the Smash Ballot was going on and Paper Mario believe or not, was higher on the chart then Geno.
The thing with that was most of those were likely before Sakurai made his statement on Geno, which really rekindled the desire for the character.

D

Deleted member

I don't aim to dampen the mood of anyone here, but after seeing Shantae become a spirit and hearing Vergeben allude to Minecraft content, Granblue rep, and a Square Enix rep, I'm really worried for Shantae's chances at being playable. Verge has never been wrong and that means 2-3 of the 5 dlc picks are already locked and implies Sakurai already made DLC choices which makes the fact that Matt Bozon is supporting and talking about Shantae being in Smash as a DLC fighter is more worrying than encouraging since it may mean he isn't on an NDA and therefore she wasn't selected. With all this said however, I absoloutely don't aim to bring down the determination here and would really be ecstatic to see her in the game. I'm just teetering on how high her chances are. She performed pretty well on the ballot, but looking at the state of Isaac, it doesn't appear as if the ballot really decided or meant anything when it came to most Smash Ultimate newcomers barring K Rool. With only 2-3 slots already filled up and people citing numerous characters like Bandana Dee, Geno, and Banjo as DLC "locks", do you guys feel like she has a good shot?
I don’t think there’s a granblue character coming because of the platforms it came on
-iOS
-android
-web browser
You know the rules about 3rd party’s.......Must have a history with Nintendo consoles no matter how minor.

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice
Maybe now, but it would give them the potential for good profit. Square does have a team speciifically made for Switch exclusive game like Octopath, so reviving there old Nintendo exclusive IP could give them a great advantage. Also, from what I understand when it comes to DQ, the don't even have it as a first party, kinda like how Pokemon is technically not a full on Nintendo series. That would make them a middleman if they were to bank on a DQ character, and it does not help that the actual owners of the property can make things quite costly for all parties involved. Same goes for the likes of Sora. Ironically, the brain child of both Square and Nintendo is the character that Square has the most creative and legal control over compared to the many other popular picks that they are associated with.
Don't get me wrong I hope Geno makes it in as it could make a younger audience more interested in older games that deserve the recognition besides Minecraft or Granblue.

Hell I would be so bold as to say that Smash is the sole reason why Fire Emblem was able to expand internationally as well as it did with the inclusion of Marth and Roy in Melee. I just hope that Square is hopeful enough to take that risk with Geno instead of the safer, albeit boring alternatives.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Don't get me wrong I hope Geno makes it in as it could make a younger audience more interested in older games that deserve the recognition besides Minecraft or Granblue.

Hell I would be so bold as to say that Smash is the sole reason why Fire Emblem was able to expand internationally as well as it did with the inclusion of Marth and Roy in Melee. I just hope that Square is hopeful enough to take that risk with Geno instead of the safer, albeit boring alternatives.
I certainly hope so. And it's not like they would not know of Geno's popularity. For Pete's sake, he is pretty much one the last major long time requests Smash has left after Ridley and K.Rool joined. The only other character that comes close to him is Isaac, and he is tragically stuck in a bit of tight spot now.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
I certainly hope so. And it's not like they would not know of Geno's popularity. For Pete's sake, he is pretty much one the last major long time requests Smash has left after Ridley and K.Rool joined. The only other character that comes close to him is Isaac, and he is tragically stuck in a bit of tight spot now.
I wouldn’t discredit Dixie Kong at this point either. Remember there is a lot of cross between Dixie and Rool fans, and now that the croc is in, I dont find it hard to believe all the dk fans have moved on to the next option

logicandreason

Smash Journeyman
I don’t think there’s a granblue character coming because of the platforms it came on

You know the rules about 3rd party’s.......Must have a history with Nintendo consoles no matter how minor.
Remember sonic was considered for melee, which came out in 2001. so theres that.
also im loving this shamus art

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I don’t think I’d really consider Granblue “gaming history” heck it’s not gonna even as old as Bayonetta

Remember sonic was considered for melee, which came out in 2001. so theres that.
also im loving this shamus art
Technically Sonic did have a history with Nintendo by that point, as in a rivalry. Does Granblue have even a remote connection?

But he denied b/c he wasn’t on a Nintendo console yet and years later he was in after his Nintendo console debut same with snake
Well, it was moreso time constraints but still, there was some connection.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
But he denied b/c he wasn’t on a Nintendo console yet and years later he was in after his Nintendo console debut same with snake
False. It was because the game was already too far gone in development. If they had asked earlier, it could have happened. The same thing happened to Snake.

D

Deleted member

Show me where he actually said that
I don’t have to show you all you have to do is look and see why these were selected as trophy’s/AT and fighters. They have a history with Nintendo not just random gaming characters without Nintendo history

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
At least Metroid didn’t lose its only unique stage like dk, and it also has more assists and reps, and songs that aren’t just first level remixed 9 times. Just shut up and stop complaining about lack of Metroid when it clearly has more than dk. Also, now would be a great time to say, the music theory ended up being right. Pokemon got an ALOLAN track just around their ALOLAN newcomer. Just thought I’d mention it.
Uh, that's what I was implying? That people thought Sakurai didn't care about Metroid, and yet now we have a bunch of cool new Metroid stuff? I was trying to be supportive.

Also, did anyone really like Jungle Hijinx? I know I didn't. All the dual planes do in my experience is kill the pace of battles as you're forced to chase your opponent through the cannons.

Top Bottom