• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
But he denied b/c he wasn’t on a Nintendo console yet and years later he was in after his Nintendo console debut same with snake
This is actually not true... There is no actual condition that requires a character to be on a Nintendo console. Sonic and Snake were both cut due to time constaints, because they had VERY little time to complete Melee.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I don’t have to show you all you have to do is look and see why these were selected as trophy’s/AT and fighters. They have a history with Nintendo not just random gaming characters without Nintendo history
Ah so he didn’t say it, therefore it’s not a rule

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Also, did anyone really like Jungle Hijinx? I know I didn't. All the dual planes do in my experience is kill the pace of battles as you're forced to chase your opponent through the cannons.
Regardless of what you think of the stage, you have to admit, it had one of the most unique gimmicks out of every stage in the game.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The vast majority of Metal Gear trophies in Brawl were from Metal Gear games unreleased on Nintendo consoles. That includes Snake Eater at the time.

D

Deleted member

Ah so he didn’t say it, therefore it’s not a rule

Stephano Stephano what rule did it say for 3rd party’s in the arguments part of the spreadsheet?

still granblue ain’t happening chief not tied with Nintendo

Nvm stephano found it

“The only rule that has ever been in place is that the character must originate from a video game and, prefereably, that they have some history with Nitntendo, no matter how minor.”

Last edited by a moderator:

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
Stephano Stephano what rule did it say for 3rd party’s in the arguments part of the spreadsheet?

Nvm stephano found it

“The only rule that has ever been in place is that the character must originate from a video game and, prefereably, that they have some history with Nitntendo, no matter how minor.”
But... you don't know ! WE don't know.

Wwlink55

Smash Ace

Nvm stephano found it

And yet Cloud didn't appear on a Nintendo console until, as far as I know, Smash 4...

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario

Nvm stephano found it

That’s not even Sakurai’s own words though. Pull up the source gaming article where he says that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That’s not even Sakurai’s own words though. Pull up the source gaming article where he says that.
https://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/10/05/sakuraithirdparty/

Boom

Take it or leave it

And here’s something else

Snake
First Appearance: Metal Gear (MSX)
Nintendo Appearances: Metal Gear (NES), Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes (Gamecube)

Sonic
First Appearance: Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega Genesis)
Nintendo Appearances: Sonic Adventure 2 Battle (Gamecube), Sonic hero’s(GameCube) Sonic Mania (Switch)

Mega Man
First Appearance: Mega Man (NES)
Nintendo Appearances: Mega Man (NES), Mega Man 11 (Switch)

Pac-Man
First Appearance: Pac-Man (Arcade)
Nintendo Appearances: Pac-Man (NES), Pac-Man World 2 (Gamecube)

Ryu
First Appearance: Street Fighter (Arcade)
Nintendo Appearances: Street Fighter 2 (SNES), Street Fighter Anniversary Collection (Switch)

Cloud
First Appearance: Final Fantasy VII (Playstation)
Nintendo Appearances: Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories (GBA, cameo), Theatrhythm Final Fantasy (3DS), Final Fantasy Explorers (3DS, cameo)

Bayonetta
First Appearance: Bayonetta (360, PS3)
Nintendo Appearances: Bayonetta 1 & 2 (Wii U, Switch), Bayonetta 3 (Switch)

Simon(nes)

Richter(snes)

Ken(snes)

Last edited by a moderator:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
https://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/10/05/sakuraithirdparty/

Boom

Take it or leave it

And here’s something else

Snake
First Appearance: Metal Gear (MSX)
Nintendo Appearances: Metal Gear (NES), Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes (Gamecube)

Sonic
First Appearance: Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega Genesis)
Nintendo Appearances: Sonic Adventure 2 Battle (Gamecube), Sonic hero’s(GameCube) Sonic Mania (Switch)

Mega Man
First Appearance: Mega Man (NES)
Nintendo Appearances: Mega Man (NES), Mega Man 11 (Switch)

Pac-Man
First Appearance: Pac-Man (Arcade)
Nintendo Appearances: Pac-Man (NES), Pac-Man World 2 (Gamecube)

Ryu
First Appearance: Street Fighter (Arcade)
Nintendo Appearances: Street Fighter 2 (SNES), Street Fighter Anniversary Collection (Switch)

Cloud
First Appearance: Final Fantasy VII (Playstation)
Nintendo Appearances: Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories (GBA, cameo), Theatrhythm Final Fantasy (3DS), Final Fantasy Explorers (3DS, cameo)

Bayonetta
First Appearance: Bayonetta (360, PS3)
Nintendo Appearances: Bayonetta 1 & 2 (Wii U, Switch), Bayonetta 3 (Switch)

“it might be a courtesy to include a character who has the experience of being on a Nintendo platform.”

It might be a courtesy =/= they HAVE to have history

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
And the Katalina thing might be a good sign too. Talks seem to be happening recently, which means she could kickstart Fighter pack #2, unless she replaces one of the other 5. So it could increase chances of characters like Shantae,Geno, etc on the basis that we have more slots.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Hey guys, I found something neat! So I was surfing TV Tropes(Yes, I am addicted to that site, anyone is if they spend more than an hour on it) and went to look at the Super Smash Bros pages. Turns out, Samus + Shantae fan art has become so prevalent that it warranted there documentaion in both the general Smash meme page and the Smash Ultimate YMMV page.
From the Super Smash Bros. Meme page:
Zero Suit Shantae - With the reveal of Spirits, there are various spirit matches where it emulates a fight against said spirit using a character(s) whose is very simular to the spirit. One such example is Shantae, whose spirit match is against a Zero Suit Samus that randomly gains buffs such as Metal. People have suddenly gotten attached to this.
From the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate YMMV page:
Samus: Half-Genie Hero. - The World of Light trailer showed a battle against Zero Suit Samus with Shantae as her Spirit. This led to fan art and jokes about how Samus would take on some of Shantae's mannerisms, such as belly dancing or dressing like a Bedlah Babe, as a result.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Hey guys, I found something neat! So I was surfing TV Tropes(Yes, I am addicted to that site, anyone is if they spend more than an hour on it) and went to look at the Super Smash Bros pages. Turns out, Samus + Shantae fan art has become so prevalent that it warranted there documentaion in both the general Smash meme page and the Smash Ultimate YMMV page.
Zero Suit Shantae - With the reveal of Spirits, there are various spirit matches where it emulates a fight against said spirit using a character(s) whose is very simular to the spirit. One such example is Shantae, whose spirit match is against a Zero Suit Samus that randomly gains buffs such as Metal. People have suddenly gotten attached to this.
Samus: Half-Genie Hero. - The World of Light trailer showed a battle against Zero Suit Samus with Shantae as her Spirit. This led to fan art and jokes about how Samus would take on some of Shantae's mannerisms, such as belly dancing or dressing like a Bedlah Babe, as a result.
Speaking of. :)
7f3.gif

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I do wonder why it was Shantae and Samus that caught the eye of so many. Compared to several other combinations that were showed off, Shantaes spotlight was very brief. Maybe it was because it was featured in the popular World of Light trailer, which has already been a fountain of memes. Maybe it was eye catching because it was specifically Shantae and Samus. After all, a good portion of the Shantae series foundation is Metroidvania, and heck, remember this art piece by Matt?

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
In such a short amount of time and with the game not even released yet... It's amazing how much love Shantae gets already !
I just don't want people to get too attached to Shantae using ZSS's body because it won't last.... Shantae will regain hers with DLC !! :D

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I’d like to point out that the World of Light trailer on YouTube currently has over 4 million views, this is as far as I know the most views a video (official or otherwise) featuring Shantae has gotten, and it’s only going to keep rising. I think her popularity could skyrocket because of this.

Last edited:

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
I’d like to point out that the World of Light trailer on YouTube currently has over 4 million views, this is as far as I know the most views a video (official or otherwise) featuring Shantae has gotten, and it’s only going to keep rising. I think her popularity could skyrocket because of this.
It really is a chance that she was shown in the trailer indeed :D
We all saw her the first time we watched the trailer and so will millions of people ! Plus the association with the higly popular ZSS is a bonus. Good things are going to happen. I shall even consider making a Shantae fanart myself :D

EDIT : Me making a fanart of her is not what I meant by "good things are going to happen" xD

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Found some more Shantae art + some memes.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Grimacebsx

Smash Apprentice
If shantae does get announced for dlc they should have her along zero suit samus in the trailer.

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
HAHAHAHA the first two are hilarious !! Keep sharing what you find here so we can all retweet the Shantae-related ones :D

logicandreason

Smash Journeyman
D

Deleted member

Dat first one tho lol

https://wiki.teamfortress.com/w/images/4/44/Spy_jeers05.wav

D

Deleted member

All this shantaeXsamus fan art it might be going somewhere with this recognizability........
46653652-D54B-4644-B96F-4DB90EB0388F.jpeg

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
So, how are people feeling about Shantae Samus becoming the next Bowsette?
I would not go that far(It will take a long time before something reaches that magnitude, and I don't think this will be the meme to do it), but it is nice to see a bunch of Shantae posts that are getting a ton of attention.

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
I would not go that far(It will take a long time before something reaches that magnitude, and I don't think this will be the meme to do it), but it is nice to see a bunch of Shantae posts that are getting a ton of attention.
Once the game comes out, I do think at least the possesion aspect will get big, and i assume Shantae as Samus will be at the forefront of that Similar to Bowsette and the Royal Crown, except Canon.

Top Bottom