• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192

Drew this to remind everyone she's not out of the running quite yet! We don't know the status of spirits and DLC, there might even be more than 5 DLC characters. Only time will tell

That being said
I thiiiiiink I'm gonna get off the hype train with this. I'll always love the Shantae games and she'll always be my number 1 Smash pick, but this exact thing has happened to be before in Smash 4. Ever since the game was announced all I wanted were Ice Climbers. Up until release all I asked was "where are the ICs?", game comes out with no ICs and I was crushed. DLC was announced and it started up again, I was super into the ballot and everything. Final Smash Direct--no ICs. It was a horrible experience.
I can see that happening again with Shantae, and honestly I'm really tired of it. I'd much rather just appreciate that I finally DID get my Ice Climbers and just love Ultimate for what it is. This whole time all I was asking for was closure-Is Shantae in Smash? She is, as a Spirit, that's pretty good. Will she get promoted? Maybe, I don't know. I'd much rather just enjoy what I have instead of constantly yearning for more and in turn, constantly disappointed. I love Smash, but I will openly admit that I'm still extremely bitter about Corrin and probably always will be, and I don't really wanna go through that again. I'll accept any DLC fighter with open arms as long as it's not more FE garbage I swear to GOD.

I don't mean to add on the negativity, but the fact that Sakurai saw fit to make the the ballot, then see the Smash fanbase yearning for Isaac, or Shadow, or Geno, or Skull Kid and then actively choose to develop Piranha Plant as a full fledged fighter really makes me believe he only selected K. Rool before getting rid of the ballot entirely, and if that's the case, I just don't know if our voices will ever truly be heard.

I don't know if I'll keep coming back to Smashboards or not, I probably will, but primarily to discuss the gameplay instead of spending another agonizing year speculating Shantae's chances-this was hellish honestly.

Anyway, it's been really fun, don't give up the good fight, ciao for now.
Damn you drew that? It amazes me how many talented artists show up in this thread.

Responding to your spoiler:

I mean this in the nicest way possible, but hoping for Ice Climbers as Smash 4 DLC was very, very optimistic to say the least, given that Sakurai cited serious technical limitations as cause for their removal. That doesn't matter now though - what's important is you've got the character you were hoping for finally returning, and by all accounts they promise to be better and more fun than ever in Ultimate.

Anyway, do what you need to do for your own mental health of course, but keep in mind this thread also doubles as a niche community of Smash fans who are also Shantae fans. This isn't just a war room for Shantae crusading. When speculation hits a lull we often end up just talking about the games or whatever anyway, so even if it's easier on your emotions to give up on Shantae joining Smash, you should always feel welcome come here and participate in our discussions.

If you're definitely peacing out though, take care. Even if my own most recent leave of absence from this thread more or less coincided with your activity here, it was fun sharing in the Shantae hype with you for a little bit at least. Have fun kicking ass and taking names with Nana and Popo this December. And hey, maybe even come back here when the game drops and we can all play some matches together.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Well been checking my twitter. @WayForward and @MrBozon has yet to answer my question regarding if Shantae spirit is the only thing we are getting out of her for Ultimate.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well been checking my twitter. @WayForward and @MrBozon has yet to answer my question regarding if Shantae spirit is the only thing we are getting out of her for Ultimate.
From what I saw they havent answered anyone about that yet. If they dont, should we take it as a good sign?

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
From what I saw they havent answered anyone about that yet. If they dont, should we take it as a good sign?
We should monitor their Twitter from now on.
If they still keep silent for an extended period of time, that could mean that the NDA hasn't been lifted yet.

Which could mean...

Graizen

Smash Champion
Never lose Hope! Your character can be a DLC! Fight for it!

Im fighting for Agumon as well!

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yup.

Also, dont mind me. Im sad about shantae and more even if there's still a chance.

I dont mind the new character tho. Piranette is noice

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Now is the time to continue our push for Shantae in Smashmore than ever! We have to let them know we want Shantae, assuming that while they havent started work on the DLC yet it also means they havent PICKED the DLC characters as well. If thats the case we NEED to push for her more than ever!

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
Grieve, be angry, vent, but don't blame. Because honestly we're all to blame. Everyone is upset with Soccer Rye for the lack of characters and the intro of Piranha Plant (which when you get over it will be hilarious), but should we go back to every statement he has made about the game. He's tempered our expectations at every opportunity "don't expect many characters" "don't think the reveals will occur at the same rate". We hyped ourselves up. We fell due to our own conjecture and assumptions. Speculation is fun, but you WILL get burned. Almost every Smash Bros faction learned that lesson today, but "It's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all".
You've all been an.... Experience. Don't let disappointment ruin you're curiousity and excitement because that's what makes it worth it.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
It should be so long as they don't answer my question. The only thing that they can talk about is her as a Spirit, yet when question if that is her ONLY role....silence.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Grieve, be angry, vent, but don't blame. Because honestly we're all to blame. Everyone is upset with Soccer Rye for the lack of characters and the intro of Piranha Plant (which when you get over it will be hilarious), but should we go back to every statement he has made about the game. He's tempered our expectations at every opportunity "don't expect many characters" "don't think the reveals will occur at the same rate". We hyped ourselves up. We fell due to our own conjecture and assumptions. Speculation is fun, but you WILL get burned. Almost every Smash Bros faction learned that lesson today, but "It's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all".
You've all been an.... Experience. Don't let disappointment ruin you're curiousity and excitement because that's what makes it worth it.
This, this so much.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I didnt really see people blaming here that much. The isaac thread is another story tho, some are pretty fed up at sakurai.
I dont think it's sakurari's fault, if they only had this many they could make. We didnt listen to the 'not many newcomers' thing.

I'm still upset tho.

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
Sakurai said during the direct that he would work on fully new characters, which eliminates plenty of characters on top of the AT ones.
Now is mor than ever the time to show we're here !
We're actually one of the luckiest fan teams after this direct.

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
If something like another Smash Ballot happens, we'll need to get active. I am kind of hoping they just keep using their data from the existing Smash Ballot though, because my hunch is that peak Shantae hype was back then, since Half Genie Hero was still on the way.

Right now we're in a situation where HGH turned out to be merely decent honestly, and there's no word about any exciting new Shantae game or even DLC on the way.

For the first round of DLC characters, they probably will not be collecting fresh data, since they are planning to release those characters over the first year after release. This first round might therefore be the best chance for Shantae if they are re-using the original Ballot data. And of course, we don't even know if there will be more than one round of DLC.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Now we have to find out what five characters could be potential DLC.

Can someone bring up the graph for the Smash character wants so that we can see who is left among the popular choices?

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Oh god the memes that will come from the world of light trailer... JESUS!

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I wouldn't take it for either right now. Sure it could be that there is more going on, but at the same they could be laying low because they know some fans might be rather upset with them right now.

It's clear they are all aware of everything that has been going on with the speculation and expectations. I honestly would blame then for not wanting to address any of this right away. Give people time to take everything in before confirming it denying anything.

TJKBird

Smash Cadet
It should be so long as they don't answer my question. The only thing that they can talk about is her as a Spirit, yet when question if that is her ONLY role....silence.
I wouldn't jump on anything just yet. Given the current atmosphere surrounding Smash fans I could certainly understand why Matt or Wayforward would be hesitant to say anything that may cause undue retaliation. Of anything I would be more interested in someone asking them about Indie Pogo or Blade Strangers to see if they give any more detailed responses. I think someone in here had asked them recently about Blade Strangers and they did reply but I don't remember what they said and I don't know that I want to go digging through this thread right now.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

Can someone bring up the graph for the Smash character wants so that we can see who is left among the popular choices?
They’d have to be characters that could bring in a stage and a list of songs, so it’d likely be unrepresented series in Smash, at least in terms of fighters. Most obvious would be third party characters since there is very few series in Smash unrepresented by a fighter or assist

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend

Also bear in mind characters they want to promote could make it in.
Like edelgard and Rex - Pyra (or similar, at least)

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Sakurai said during the direct that he would work on fully new characters, which eliminates plenty of characters on top of the AT ones.
Now is mor than ever the time to show we're here !
We're actually one of the luckiest fan teams after this direct.
That is true, We are in a more secure spot then the Mii fighter costumes and AT characters.

If something like another Smash Ballot happens, we'll need to get active. I am kind of hoping they just keep using their data from the existing Smash Ballot though, because my hunch is that peak Shantae hype was back then, since Half Genie Hero was still on the way.

Right now we're in a situation where HGH turned out to be merely decent honestly, and there's no word about any exciting new Shantae game or even DLC on the way.

For the first round of DLC characters, they probably will not be collecting fresh data, since they are planning to release those characters over the first year after release. This first round might therefore be the best chance for Shantae if they are re-using the original Ballot data. And of course, we don't even know if there will be more than one round of DLC.

I wonder, Sakurai said they already planned the DLC, hence why Rex is just a Mii fighter costume. If they do a ballot, its for any fighters past these 5 planned ones.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
That is true, We are in a more secure spot then the Mii fighter costumes and AT characters.

I wonder, Sakurai said they already planned the DLC, hence why Rex is just a Mii fighter costume. If they do a ballot, its for any fighters past these 5 planned ones.
That's one part Im confused about, because he did actually say they're waiting til the game is finished, but pirana plant is already worked, and also he did say something weird about rex to that effect.

Maxilian0124

Smash Rookie
Shantae is one of the characters that i'm still waiting for, and that actually have a chance to make it in!, so PUT ME IN THE LIST! You got all my support Shantae (though i wonder what transformations would be part of her kit)

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
That's one part Im confused about, because he did actually say they're waiting til the game is finished, but pirana plant is already worked, and also he did say something weird about rex to that effect.
Piranha Plant was likely meant to be for base but they ran out the clock so now he's DLC instead. The lack of any cinematic trailer, plus not being included in the 5 DLC fighter pack indicates that to me at least

zferolie

Smash Hero
As red dead said, Plant was most likely planned for base as the last fighter, #75, but had to be moved to post launch DLC as they couldn't finish it in time for launch.

TJKBird

Smash Cadet
You know I can be completely okay with Shantae not making it in Smash so long as I get some Shantae goodness elsewhere sometime soon. While I still very much want her in Smash and will continue to hold out hope, if Wayforward announces a new game or some other big crossover with her it will make her absence here bearable for me.

I guess I'm already in the bargaining phase huh? Lol

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Also bear in mind characters they want to promote could make it in.
Like edelgard and Rex - Pyra (or similar, at least)

Oh no, not Rex and Pyra! Disgusting.

Seriously though, any Xenoblade representation would be cool. I'd just rather Elma.
Shantae is one of the characters that i'm still waiting for, and that actually have a chance to make it in!, so PUT ME IN THE LIST! You got all my support Shantae (though i wonder what transformations would be part of her kit)
Thanks, and welcome!

And, that Ghirahim avatar is looking mighty fine. ;)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
As red dead said, Plant was most likely planned for base as the last fighter, #75, but had to be moved to post launch DLC as they couldn't finish it in time for launch.
sure, i spose it could be. Also, rip to your 'quad' theory eh? ;p

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I guess I'm already in the bargaining phase huh? Lol
Enough with these Grief-Stages already.
Let's stop treating people like mentally unstable, deranged freaks.

Let people be hopeful about what they want, as long as there is hope left, instead of constantly berating them for it.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
My biggest question rn is whether there'll be more seasons of DLC after this one. Given how long Sakurai's been working on Smash 3DS/Wii U, their DLC, and now Ultimate with it's DLC, will he really stick around past the first round? I mean, I'd imagine Nintendo wants Smash to continue to get support throughout the Switch's lifespan but I think it's a possibility that they'll just do the 5 and keep further updates to just balance patches, bug fixes and such.

Then again Sakurai has also said that working on DLC is easier and more relaxed so he might be willing to continue working on Smash for a few more years knowing there's less pressure and less content to be working on.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Enough with these Grief-Stages already.
Let's stop treating people like mentally unstable, deranged freaks.

Let people be hopeful about what they want, as long as there is hope left, instead of constantly berating them for it.
Harsh.
Everyone has different ways to cope.

i mean, look at me, im in a pot now.

zferolie

Smash Hero
sure, i spose it could be. Also, rip to your 'quad' theory eh? ;p
Yeah my theories died pretty badly. But I guess Sakurai is ok with empty spots on the Stage and music screen, which seems odd to me.

Also, I saw that pretty much every nintendo characters is a spirit. Donbe and Hikari, Lip, Mach Rider, CHorus Kids. If Sakurai is not going to use ANY character what is a spirit, the choices he has is SUPER limited...

Teeb147

Smash Legend
My biggest question rn is whether there'll be more seasons of DLC after this one. Given how long Sakurai's been working on Smash 3DS/Wii U, their DLC, and now Ultimate with it's DLC, will he really stick around past the first round? I mean, I'd imagine Nintendo wants Smash to continue to get support throughout the Switch's lifespan but I think it's a possibility that they'll just do the 5 and keep further updates to just balance patches, bug fixes and such.

Then again Sakurai has also said that working on DLC is easier and more relaxed so he might be willing to continue working on Smash for a few more years knowing there's less pressure and less content to be working on.
I'd really like to know that too. The direct was unclear, but since it's called a season pass, it'd make sense that there'd be more. But we might just have to wait the year to see for sure :/

also, I feel like we've switched places a bit somehow?

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I'd really like to know that too. The direct was unclear, but since it's called a season pass, it'd make sense that there'd be more. But we might just have to wait the year to see for sure :/

also, I feel like we've switched places a bit somehow?
What do you mean?

Top Bottom